Forum Settings
Forums

Which technological innovation would you like to see in the next few decades?

New
Aug 23, 2012 7:35 AM

Jun 2010
Let’s keep it realistic while staying within the confines of known physical laws (i.e. no time machines, sorry)

I would like to see some serious advances in carbon nanotube technology – specifically for space elevators. The following video gives the general idea:

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 23, 2012 7:51 AM

May 2008
Medical advancements that would prolong my life (keeping health in an acceptable condition).
Won't happen though, or at least if it does, it won't be accessible for an average person.

Aug 23, 2012 8:08 AM
Mar 2012
Something along the medical achievements.
I am more talking about the research put into cells, cloning organs. This still needs loads of research, especially in the DNA. Would be awesome if one day they could create artificial organs from only DNA and cells and rescue someone's life with that.

I found this article about it, hopefully this will be created and people won't need to wait months or even years for a new organ.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/genetic/cloned-organ-transplant.htm
Aug 23, 2012 8:25 AM

Jun 2009
Lots of stuff, but mostly something along the lines of these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_uploading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_transplant

How long it'd take till we had that type of technology though is another thing, but either way I hope to at least live to see space exploration go further than it has now.
Aug 23, 2012 8:34 AM

Dec 2011
I'd say cure for most really deadly illnesses, like cancer, AIDS etc.

Also, maybe something that can solve the problem of poverty in Africa and other underdeveloped countries throughout continents. At least food and shelter for everyone.

After those problems we can talk about other things, like space travel, or cyber technology :D
Aug 23, 2012 9:56 AM

Apr 2012
Trapalicious said:
your great-great grandchildren would be lucky to be alive to see that happen. if it can even happen at all.

i'd like to see some really immersive virtual reality technology in the next few decades.
Aug 23, 2012 9:57 AM

Dec 2010
More medical advances.
Aug 23, 2012 10:08 AM

Feb 2009

• Being able to interact with Augmented Reality objects.
  • Graphene being actually put into use.
  • Proving some of the hypothesis proposed by string theorists to be true.
  • Prove that the particle found a month ago by CERN is actually the Higgs Boson.
  • The magnetic monopole (though Gauss' magnetic law would be useless then)
  • LIFE ON ANOTHER PLANET
Akemi_RiverdeppAug 23, 2012 10:15 AM
Aug 23, 2012 10:29 AM

Jun 2012
bigger nukes so we can kill brown people by the millions instead of thousands
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 23, 2012 10:30 AM

Dec 2010
Physical holograms. That way I can have sex with my 2D (now 3D) waifus.

Aug 23, 2012 10:54 AM

Jan 2011
The successors of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skymont_%28Microarchitecture%29

That is all.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Aug 23, 2012 10:54 AM

Sep 2008
Yeah, mind uploading is the way to go.

But it's not gonna happen so I guess I'd prefer to see some serious technology degradation instead, because none of the possible innovation would be of any use for me anyway.

Something Fallout-like would be nice...
Aug 23, 2012 11:22 AM

Apr 2008
micro robots that go into the body and repair/replace cancer cells with healthy ones
Aug 23, 2012 11:29 AM

Mar 2012
I'm tempted to say Matrix-level VR.

Confucius said:

I think they have already been developed in Japan.
Various techniques have been devloped for creating "holograms", for example the transparent screen that was used to host Tupac and Miku concerts.

They are however still two-dimensional and intangible, not to mention impractical.
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした
Aug 23, 2012 11:31 AM

Sep 2009
Democracy.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Aug 23, 2012 11:32 AM

Mar 2012
Ridiculously fast, convenient, and cheap public transportation. For the people saying mind uploading, not sure if I'd call that realistically attainable.

AnnoKano said:
Democracy.

Time travel will happen first.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 23, 2012 11:34 AM

Jun 2012
Post-Josh said:
Ridiculously fast, convenient, and cheap public transportation. For the people saying mind uploading, not sure if I'd call that realistically attainable.

AnnoKano said:
Democracy.

both would be fairly nice for proletariat in the near future but countries developing public transport like china have had various forms of public transport denied in favor of more roads and cars for the upper class
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 23, 2012 11:34 AM

May 2010
AnnoKano said:
Democracy.

Lol let's add freedom to the list.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 23, 2012 11:36 AM

Dec 2009
Regicide said:
bigger nukes so we can kill brown people by the millions instead of thousands
The H bomb was already too powerful to use. USA is developing space weapon which accelerate from space and hit ground target mechanically. It's claimed to be as powerful as nuke + more penetrating (vs underground target) but cleaner.

Some wishes are:
Further Nuclear fusion progress.
Breakthrough in quantum computer.
Miniature nuclear power plant - for Mars project
Stem cells advancements.
Aug 23, 2012 11:43 AM

Jun 2009
Post-Josh said:
For the people saying mind uploading, not sure if I'd call that realistically attainable.

I can dream.
Aug 23, 2012 12:27 PM

Jan 2011
Nuclear Fusion
Aug 23, 2012 12:35 PM

Jun 2012
Self cleaning fleshlight, someday soon i hope.
Aug 23, 2012 1:28 PM

Jan 2012
Trapalicious said:

How long it'd take till we had that type of technology though is another thing, but either way I hope to at least live to see space exploration go further than it has now.
Personally, I'd rather want to download data to my brain than upload data from it.
I'd download my entire PC into my brain, then I'd be able to 'watch' an anime in a few seconds.
Aug 23, 2012 1:30 PM

Jun 2010
AnnoKano said:
Democracy.

I specified not to break the laws of physics. But while we're being rebels, I would like to see the technology that lets me punch people over the internet.
Aug 23, 2012 1:31 PM

Aug 2012
Virtual_BS said:
Trapalicious said:

Personally, I'd rather want to download data to my brain than upload data from it.
I'd download my entire PC into my brain, then I'd be able to 'watch' an anime in a few seconds.

Where is the thrill in that?
I'd rather watch anime on my PC.
Aug 23, 2012 1:38 PM

Jan 2012
Necro-sama said:
Virtual_BS said:
Trapalicious said:

Where is the thrill in that?
I'd rather watch anime on my PC.
Think of how many more I could 'watch' if doing so took less time.

Also, If I could emulate the software in my brain, I'd be able to do things like typing emails or reading forums while I drive or sleep. Think of all the extra productivity if I don't need to use my eyes, ears, and hands to interface with my PC. I can also imagine my food intake will increase to compensate for my brain's extra energy burn.
Aug 23, 2012 1:41 PM

Apr 2011
I'd like my flying car anytime soon.
Aug 23, 2012 1:42 PM

Aug 2012
Microsoft has a project from about 4 years ago where they used a Dance Dance Revolution pad to move around, 2 wii motes, one per hand. One represents a shield and another represents a sword. Then you use a helmet that is specialy made according to your eye site. It has a 3d monitor and as you move the helmet around, what you see moves also, 'cause it has sensors.

It was pretty awesome and is the closest thing to a complete virtual reality game.
Aug 23, 2012 4:50 PM

Jun 2008
Better body prosthetics. Robotic eyes, arms, legs, etc.
Better treatment for cancer.

Not sure how to quantify "better" scientifically though.
Aug 23, 2012 4:58 PM

Jul 2011
Everything needed to build the Death star o_o

Or Mechanical organs but mostly the Death star thing...

Really really want to blow up a planet, maybe Pluto. Anyone remember when Pluto was a planet? =o
Aug 23, 2012 4:58 PM

Jun 2012
GloriousHawk said:

Those are quite late indeed

Awaiting Technological singularity. I just have to live until it happen (or not)
HapaxAug 23, 2012 5:27 PM

I sometime have funky grammar, sorry about that. If you can correct some of my post, you would be an angel.
Aug 23, 2012 5:02 PM

Feb 2012
I'd like to see advancements that stop or even reverse aging. I want to stay alive as long as possible to see how this crappy world advances in the next few centuries ( Assuming we don't kill ourselves by then ).

I'm also really curious how countries will handle space colonization. Once we're able to get humans on mars, do we split the land into countries? Or will we finally be able to come together as a race and live together? ( Hah! )

Shuhan said:
Self cleaning fleshlight, someday soon i hope.
Ahahahahahaha. That's hilarious! I'm hoping as well lol
Aug 23, 2012 5:15 PM

Aug 2010
Something along the lines of augmenting telepathy.

How about we won't even need to move? A central hub in our home would pick our mind waves (we basically tell it a command - think about a combination between SAO and Accel World) and through it, we can call someone (without the need of phones - the central hub connects to the central hub of the one we wish to call and a telepathic link is formed) or even browse the Internet without needing anything else than a bed, the central hub, some energy supply (every home should and probably will opt for personal energy supply) and a fridge (we have to eat/ drink - or it may be outdated as well). That's for the late future though. I don't think we could have this kind of technology in the next... 1000 years? xD

The near future... I'd really want to see AI in my lifetime, and i think it's something attainable.
Aug 23, 2012 5:21 PM

Mar 2008
Obviously I wan a cure for all the different cancers out there and for HIV/AIDs among other illnesses.

Obviously Id want some unlimited source of energy but I do not want something nuclear i dont think its safe enough.

Obviously id like something that helps clean the environment we live in.

I would like technology and nature to be more in harmony with eachother. Currently tech fights nature. I want cities to be filled with trees and flowers instead of just concrete. Like i think we need plants on top of the buildings. This is already being done but not in a mass scale.

Ive heard there is development of a technology that gives people a digital afterlife or robotic bodies and I dont think they could do the bodies right away but maybe a few decades they will have the minds working. The idea is kind of scary i mean if youre the dead person having your mind uploaded youd have to wonder if its really you or just a copy of you.

Real life Digimon (at least in digital form) would be badass although a hazard to the internet >_>

I would like male birth control pills. They are close to developing them and they are a few years away or maybe closer to a decade away. They work by inhibiting protein used in forming sperm and things go bck to normal once youre off the pills. I personaly would take them if its safe.

I would like computers to have a more direct interface like hollogram screens and a 3d environment that you can work more quickly in

I would like food to be more healthy but taste even more delicious. If thats possible xD

I would like better medications for psychological disorders and a cure for schizophrenia since i have a friend with schizophrenia and its not curable.

I think its possible to send information to other universes hypothetically so it would be interesting to talk to people of another paralelle universe. O_o
Aug 23, 2012 5:42 PM

Aug 2012
Obviously I'd like to see medical advancements (cures for cancer, etc), but I really would not want to live past 100 or so. Imagine becoming so old you can hardly move, or if medicine advances far enough, staying young forever until you get bored of living and can't die? Some food for thought.

Would also like to see some serious advancements in robotics (Chobits anyone? :D ) as well as proving if string theory, big bang theory, multiple world theory, and so on are actually true or false.

On a side note, is anyone familiar with the many worlds theory? It's a concept that was used to some extent in Steins; Gate (the world lines). I find it interesting and definitely very possible that there are other "worlds" out there parallel to ours. However, it's mind boggling to try and realize a way to interact with these parallel worlds that never touch. It would definitely be interesting if these worlds could somehow touch, and what the repercussions would be.
Aug 23, 2012 6:10 PM

Jul 2012
It would be nice to see developments in the study of anti-matter. It really is some pretty interesting stuff

[url]http://orbitalvector.com/Power/Antimatter%20Power/ANTIMATTER%20POWER.htm[/url]

Also, a fusion reactor would be pretty cool.
Aug 23, 2012 6:54 PM

Apr 2012
Body upgrades.
Who doesn't want Wolverine-like abilities of regeneration and strength, fused with an indestructible internal structure?

Also, bio-organic computing would be cool. My mind linked to the internet. I'd pull a Neo, only not stop with "learning kung-fu". lol
Aug 23, 2012 7:57 PM

Aug 2009
Cure for cancer and its cheap and easy.
Cheap life like androids
a actual virtual reality game system.
Aug 23, 2012 8:58 PM

Aug 2007
koleare said:
Something along the lines of augmenting telepathy.

How about we won't even need to move? A central hub in our home would pick our mind waves (we basically tell it a command - think about a combination between SAO and Accel World) and through it, we can call someone (without the need of phones - the central hub connects to the central hub of the one we wish to call and a telepathic link is formed) or even browse the Internet without needing anything else than a bed, the central hub, some energy supply (every home should and probably will opt for personal energy supply) and a fridge (we have to eat/ drink - or it may be outdated as well). That's for the late future though. I don't think we could have this kind of technology in the next... 1000 years? xD

The near future... I'd really want to see AI in my lifetime, and i think it's something attainable.

So much for screening your calls.

Teleportation would be awesome but I know that won't be possible for a long ass time.
Aug 23, 2012 10:42 PM

Apr 2012
Space colonies
Terraformed planets

and not really a technological innovation, but rather catalyst to it, the end of religion.
Aug 24, 2012 1:21 AM

Sep 2007
traed said:

Real life Digimon (at least in digital form) would be badass although a hazard to the internet >_>

...is that an option? Oh god. I pick that one.

Though really, how about a cure for diabetes? I suppose more advanced treatments would be nice. Multiple shots daily is kind of irritating. I'll accept a robotic pancreas if need be.

I also want a proper virtual reality game, so that when I am old and can barely move, I can still be some BAMF fighting monsters all day long. This is my dream and I will not be pleased if I die without this being realized. Ruing will take place if I don't get my game damn it.
Aug 24, 2012 2:09 AM

Jun 2012
Solid state drives. Yeah, you can already buy them, but they need to make them much cheaper.

Yes, I know, I have low aspirations.
LarasoAug 24, 2012 2:19 AM
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Aug 24, 2012 2:31 AM

Jul 2012
space trips for badasses

seriously i wanna lightsaber
Aug 24, 2012 2:51 AM

Jun 2011
GloriousHawk said:

How about hover bikes?

Aug 24, 2012 5:11 AM

Jul 2010
Surprised nobody mentioned the Singularity. Nowadays I see all space tech as obsolete, since colonization is so far in the future (with our current means) that the chance of the stuff actually being relevant is close to nil. More likely is, an AI project finally succeeds, it makes us nearly almighty (or wipes us out), and our half-assed attempts at doing stuff on Mars are abandoned either because we can now do whatever we want or because we're no longer around.

It's predicted to come out in the next few decades too.
Aug 24, 2012 5:43 AM

Jul 2012
Video games that you can enter with epic art and design (but you can't get injured or something like that) and the characters have emotion and free will!
Aug 24, 2012 9:23 AM

Aug 2012
I would like to see a emphases on technological advances to preserve the body from death. I personally think it's possible. I believe if given enough time humans can make them self immortal. Think about it... all we really need to do is preserve the brain. We should start doing things like making artificial/mechanical hearts, medicines to slow the aging process. Ect... Ect...
Basically I want to start implementing cyborg technology.
Aug 24, 2012 9:37 AM

Dec 2010
A machine that instantly creates an infinite amount of food of whatever you want to eat would be nice, though that's really unreasonable.
Aug 24, 2012 9:43 AM

Jun 2009
I kind of think that immortality is something I'd like us to never move towards. Because very likely only the rich would afford it, and given if it were ever possible, I'm sure most would jump on it. So then what happens with everyone else, you know?

On top of that, I'm not sure anyone is really important enough to the world to be granted such a thing.

EDIT: +10 for NHK avatar. I have no idea what exactly the 10 is, but whatever if is, you have more now.
TrapaliciousAug 24, 2012 9:58 AM
Aug 24, 2012 9:55 AM

Aug 2012
Trapalicious said:
I kind of think that immortality is something I'd like us to never move towards. Because very likely only the rich would afford it, and given if it were ever possible, I'm sure most would jump on it. So then what happens with everyone else, you know?

On top of that, I'm not sure anyone is really important enough to the world to be granted such a thing.

True. True.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 7 hours ago

4 by rho34 »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

58 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 10 hours ago

13 by Spunkert »»
2 hours ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

3 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - Yesterday

21 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.