Forum Settings
Forums
Aug 23, 2012 9:02 AM

I started watching Anime when I was ~18.
Now I'm 21. I had my phases when I was to busy to watch any Anime or just wasn't in the mood for months but I can't see myself dropping Anime out of my life in the next few years.
I won't say that I will never stop watching Anime cause I don't know whats about to happen in the future but as long as I enjoy watching I will continue regardless of my age!

ようやく世界は変わるナナリーが望んだ優しい世界が

Aug 23, 2012 9:06 AM

how old is the oldest person alive? :D
Romance Anime List

Romance Anime List

3DS friend code 3325-2089-7587 (pm yours)

Aug 23, 2012 9:08 AM

leokiko said:
If you are 25+ and are still addicted to anime, you need help. The "addicted" phase should be only when you are a teenager imo.

What a cliched way of thinking, my god. Any addiction needs treatment if it becomes cumbersome. But any and all of them are a way of having some entertainment or pleasure, and it's your choice to succumb to them.

I don't think I'd have been addicted as much as I have been to Steins;Gate, Mirai Nikki and other awesome anime (like Moyazaki's works) if I were a mere teenager.

Watching Naruto and Bleach was fun, after you grow up you learn to appreciate "real" anime, IE those that have a real philosophy behind their pretty visuals and make you think.

In the same sense, when you are 15 you don't like the same movies as when you're 25. But is it frowned upon to still watch movies after being 25 y-o ? Of course not. There are different works for various audiences you know.

Way to look down on people having a blast watching masterpieces anime I swear lol

kickthebucket said:
how old is the oldest person alive? :D

Some years ago it was Jeanne Calment, a french lady who died at 122 years old IIRC

Aug 23, 2012 9:15 AM

nothing's too old for anime. its doesn't matter what society thinks, i will continue to watch anime until i get my fill. as long your having a good time why stop. its not bad for you, its not a vice so it will be foolish to stop when you still want to watch.

Aug 23, 2012 9:21 AM

leokiko said:
If you are 25+ and are still addicted to anime, you need help. The "addicted" phase should be only when you are a teenager imo.

seriously, whu?

I am 25+ and have many "addictions" including NWOJK: new wave of japanese kaiju, and kaiju toys. Asian ball joint dolls, blythe dolls, etc. etc. and I read a crapload. I fillm my life with the things i need to do, and the things I don't need to do. The things i don't "need" to do? They are the ones that define me.

is there something wrong with me. hullo? NO.

fyi. this is not a defense. ths is a realistic look at the hobbies you love, including watching anime, and your so-called real life.

Aug 23, 2012 9:24 AM

daintybiscuit said:
boating92 said:
I feel a little immature spending so much time on anime at 20. But I love it. I just don't want to be seen as weird.

you are not immature and you are not weird. you are experiencing a medium that untold numbers of people adore. you should be happy. you are lucky enough to have stumbled into this fantastic world!

amen to that

Aug 23, 2012 9:25 AM

daintybiscuit said:
leokiko said:

seriously, whu?

I am 25+ and have many "addictions" including NWOJK: new wave of japanese kaiju, and kaiju toys. Asian ball joint dolls, blythe dolls, etc. etc. and I read a crapload. I fillm my life with the things i need to do, and the things I don't need to do. The things i don't "need" to do? They are the ones that define me.

fyi. this is not a defense. ths is a realistic look at the hobbies you love, including watching anime, and your so-called real life.

Yes, but you mentioned a wide variety of things you enjoy. An anime "addict" would do nothing but watch like 15-20 episodes a day. I don't consider someone who watches 3 to 4 episodes a day an addict at all.

Aug 23, 2012 9:30 AM
otaking
XeroCleaths said:
daintybiscuit said:
leokiko said:

seriously, whu?

Yes, but you mentioned a wide variety of things you enjoy. An anime "addict" would do nothing but watch like 15-20 episodes a day. I don't consider someone who watches 3 to 4 episodes a day an addict at all.
anime is not my only thing Toku Games History Classical Japanese Chinese Hellenistic latin Frence and arbic literature
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Aug 23, 2012 9:36 AM

XeroCleaths said:
daintybiscuit said:
leokiko said:

seriously, whu?

hehe. we have vastly different ideas of what constitutes an addiction. And remember, my toys and dolls just sit on a shelf ;) But i COULD NOT give up anime.

Aug 23, 2012 10:06 AM

Well, I'm 27 and I still don't feel like I'm too old for anime, if anything, I have a greater love and appreciation for anime now than I did when I first really started getting into it when I was in college.

Honestly, I don't think you can technically be "too old" for anime. Hell, the people that MAKE anime are grown adults with professional careers. It's not like it's something that's done by college kids with nothing else to do.

I think it's all a matter of whenever you start losing interest in anime. I don't think there's really an "age" limit to it, just an "interest" limit. If there ever comes a day when you don't enjoy watching anime anymore, then I think that's the time and place to probably give it up and move on.

Aug 23, 2012 10:18 AM

When you are dead.

Aug 23, 2012 10:23 AM
in my point of view, there isn't a specific age for someone to watch an anime ... even a 60 years old man can watch an anime...... thats what i think ^^

Aug 23, 2012 11:55 AM

Why stop doing things that you enjoy just because you're getting older? I mean,come on,I see old people still smoking and drinking,enjoying what they do. There are adults that still watch cartoons and anime. If it makes you happy,do it. If you'll die from it,most people will forget you in a couple of years anyway.

Aug 23, 2012 12:10 PM

spinecollect said:
If you'll die from it,most people will forget you in a couple of years anyway.

I lol'd.

Aug 23, 2012 12:26 PM

One is never too old to watch anime. Hell, 20 years from now, I'll be watching anime on my ipad 10

Aug 23, 2012 12:52 PM

i think if you're 5 you're too old to watch anime
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 23, 2012 4:00 PM

As old as you want it to be.
"El Baile de la muerte"

Aug 23, 2012 4:05 PM

Have you guys ever heard of a little reviewer known by the name of Grumpy Jiisan. An awesome reviewer, and he's in his 50s!

Aug 23, 2012 4:09 PM

Never too old for anime.

Aug 23, 2012 4:19 PM

A lot of good replies here. Instead of asking "what's the right age?", how about you just keep watching cause it feels good? We are in the era of technology and enjoyment. So I say keep watching no matter what age you are! There is a point where you gotta say "Alright, I can only watch a few episodes today because I have other things that need to be done" but there is no need to drop a good hobby! I consider watching Anime a hobby/lifestyle (In a way).

Personally, I know I will continue to watch it forever. That is just a fact. As long as they make Anime, I will watch it. :)

Aug 23, 2012 9:14 PM

Akemi_Riverdepp said:
When you are dead.

There's your answer.

But to anyone saying it's a childs thing... pft... comics and cartoons were made for adults in the start.

Anime... "The history of anime began at the start of the 20th century, when Japanese filmmakers experimented with the animation techniques that were being explored in the West. During the 1970s, anime developed further, separating itself from its Western roots, and developing distinct genres such as mecha and its Super Robot sub-genre. Typical shows from this period include Lupin III and Mazinger Z."

Find me kids 13 and under who really enjoy Lupin the 3rd... Just like movies, anime does have the ability to target a certain age group right? Gantz wasn't made for kids 7+

Aug 23, 2012 9:37 PM

Who gives a shit? Id love to watch anime with a 70 year old.

Its not a matter of age its matter of time management for quality of life. If all someone does is watch anime and they dont work or anything then they should stop watching so damn much.

Aug 23, 2012 10:32 PM

traed said:
Who gives a shit? Id love to watch anime with a 70 year old.

Its not a matter of age its matter of time management for quality of life. If all someone does is watch anime and they dont work or anything then they should stop watching so damn much.

^ This.

Aug 23, 2012 10:38 PM

Until the day you die or unless you go blind :3

Aug 24, 2012 2:58 AM

grandy_UiD said:
Anyone above 13 who still watches anime should be ashamed. It's for kids after all!

You should tell that to the members of this club.

Aug 24, 2012 3:02 AM
Its a stupid question, as there are directors and artists that are old who work on anime and manga.

Aug 24, 2012 3:32 AM

shintai88 said:
Its a stupid question, as there are directors and artists that are old who work on anime and manga.

But do all of them watch anime for enjoyment or just as reference for work?

Aug 24, 2012 3:54 AM
shintai88 said:

Stupid analogy. Adults make toys for children, but that doesn't those same adults play with them (outside of work) or enjoy them.

Aug 24, 2012 4:31 AM

You can never be too old for Anime. No one determines what you are too old to watch, despite the demographic the Anime is aimed at. For example if you're 50 and you enjoy Shonen.. then you're 50 enjoy Shonen and keep watching it. Even if you liked Kodama.

I'll use a non anime examples. Lion King and Mulan are aimed at a younger demographic, but I still LOVE these Movies, even though I've been watching them since five. Same for Recess and Lloyd in Space.

Besides in my opinion, you can never put an age limit on an entire medium.

Aug 24, 2012 4:31 AM
I will never stop watching anime...I can just picture myself at 60, in my rocking chair, keasbo jr. (laptop) and Toshi (external HDD) by my side and I re-watching Gintama...then dying from a laughter induced heart attack.
But seriously, you can never be too old for anything really...for example I still play with my toy cars from my childhood, which I saved from being donated (my mother donated all my toys when I was 17)...and I still watch cartoons that I used to watch on cartoon network when I was 5,6...it depends on how old you feel, I reckon. I think it is important to have at least a bit of that childish streak in you...makes life a happier place for me.

Aug 24, 2012 6:21 AM

hmmm....when u die hahaha! theres no age limit. its for people of all ages :D

Aug 24, 2012 6:35 AM

you watch until you are tired of anime. that can be when you are 10 or when you are 100. people will always have positive or negative things to say but at the end of the day that is their business. be proud and respect yourself as other people will not respect u if u dont respect yourself.

Aug 24, 2012 7:14 AM

"The times are changing"

Aug 24, 2012 7:26 AM

grandy_UiD said:
Anyone above 13 who still watches anime should be ashamed. It's for kids after all!

+1
He is right, I am ashamed

Aug 24, 2012 7:39 AM

FlashIzangi said:
grandy_UiD said:

+1

You feel bad because of some obscure stranger told you to ? oO'

Aug 24, 2012 10:09 AM

Nevar!
You're never too old. :D

Aug 24, 2012 10:30 AM

I think it depends on the show. Like Pokemon or other overly childish animes like that, you should eventually stop watching but it's okay if you still like it.

The only reason I'm saying that is because when I was about 8, I went to toysrus with my Pokemon game in order to get a free mew and they're were a bunch of adults without kids that looked creepy as hell xD

Anyway though for most other animes, I think there's no need to stop until you actually feel you should. Personally, I don't think I'll stop anytime soon because I really enjoy watching anime.

Aug 24, 2012 11:40 AM

There's no age limit on anime. You can watch anime, when you're 60 if you want to.

Aug 24, 2012 12:14 PM

Society's answer: Probably 10.

My answer: Probably never.

Aug 24, 2012 1:50 PM

If you're 15 year old and you still watch anime, you need to stop.

Aug 24, 2012 1:51 PM

When I have Alzheimers and stuck in a retirement home.

Aug 24, 2012 2:05 PM

35+

Aug 24, 2012 2:26 PM
When puberty starts.

Aug 24, 2012 2:54 PM

This site and its forum posts make me feel too old. You see all these 13yo's arguing over what the bestest new anime is and see the latest boob/pantsu service list of upcoming anime and it all gets too much. I need a vacation...

Aug 24, 2012 3:57 PM

Onakotemaloja said:
If you're 15 year old and you still watch anime, you need to stop.

I think I'll marathon a bunch of anime on my 15th birthday.

Aug 24, 2012 3:59 PM

It really depends on you. You might grow out of some genre of anime or you might grow out of it completely. Who cares?

Aug 24, 2012 4:01 PM

Hyunckel said:
FlashIzangi said:
grandy_UiD said:

+1

You feel bad because of some obscure stranger told you to ? oO'

he is being sarcastic

Aug 24, 2012 4:07 PM

If there was an age limit, where would Studio Ghibli be? Miyazaki was originally an anime fan.

... think about it.

Plus, many anime are explicitly for mature audiences. Anime is just like any other genre out there, being that there are shows for children (which many can enjoy) and shows for adults.

Aug 24, 2012 6:09 PM

Aug 24, 2012 6:55 PM
I don't know why there should be an age restriction, just because you live longer doesn't mean that you should stop liking what you like.

That's my opinion at least.

So to put it simply: it really depends on the person.

Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »