Forum Settings
Forums

most over and underrated Studios [ give you reasons

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
May 23, 2014 7:29 AM

judals said:
Underrated: Madhouse. Seriously their works are beyond epic yet they hardly get SOME rec. Not enough though.

Indeed.

May 23, 2014 8:10 AM

How is Toei overrated? Who even hypes them nowadays?

Anyway

UR: Pierrot, Brains Base, White Fox, J.C. Staff
OR: Trigger, A-1 Pictures, Bones, but only slightly

May 23, 2014 8:17 AM
otaking
plz give t your reason i do not wish this topic to get lock fir listing
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

May 23, 2014 8:21 AM

Kaimon said:

Anyway

UR: Pierrot, Brains Base, White Fox, J.C. Staff
OR: Trigger, A-1 Pictures, Bones, but only slightly

Naruto: 85 episodes of filler brings it down to the 7x rankings.

One piece, 3 consecutive arcs offering same quality as filler above, subpar animation, bad pacing; top 60. Any other anime would have immediately dropped to 7.x or even less.
Dragon Ball. I shouldn't even explain that one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

May 23, 2014 8:23 AM

Kaimon said:

The ones who hypes DragonBall...

Btw how Pierrot is UR, the animation sucks...
Modified by GoldSlash, May 23, 2014 8:28 AM

May 23, 2014 8:59 AM

Dogakobo are relatively new and they make ONLY the sweetest of the sweet anime series. I feel like they should get more love

May 23, 2014 9:01 AM

Overrated, kinda: Production I.G

Too many people see studios as some unified production company where every work is made by the same people. Well Production I.G is far from it. In fact it has over 10 animation sections each with different staff, sometimes doing co-productions with other departments but majorly each working on it's own series animation.

Not only they are not a single simple company which works solely on one project, but each section has their own level of skill. Some have better animators and special effect users while others don't. For example Section 4 specializes in making cut scenes for games and making mediocre anime series like Ace of Diamond which lacks both animation and directing.

Not all of the sections are like Section 9 (Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit) which is one of my favorite production lines.

Underrated: Dogakobo

They're given far too little credit for good sakuga animation they put into their works. Mikakunin, Yuru Yuri, Gj-Bu would have sucked if they were made by J.C.Staffs C-studio or other mediocre department. They certainly are a rising star amongst studios. They've gotten few great still rather unknown freelancers like Masayuki Nonaka in their projects. Nonaka has a good understanding on how to make things look nice without using too much time and money. He also has a good understanding of rhythm (well this is usually more thanks to the storyboard maker and director+episode director). ( http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/a6d50f8155bd1d232383b4c94aae36bd.gif http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/c6043e2bcdd8ff6c1b254d94c7851558.gif ).

Underrated: Kyoto Animation

Just because they're not given enough credit for paying actual salary to animators and staff members instead of using slavework.
Modified by Gorim, May 23, 2014 9:06 AM

May 23, 2014 9:03 AM
Overrated: I hate Shaft and still do. Bunch of ecchi comedy shows that does not fit looking at you Bake. And, humor shows of Shaft isn't funny at all to me.

Sometimes KyoAni can be overrated depending on the shows they made are so overrated or some are underrated even I like that studio a little bit.

Underrated: I think Bones has some pretty good shows that I don't really see people talking a whole lot of Bones studio that much except Space Dandy and Soul Eater.

GoHands is also underrated for me since the animation looks so awesome in Mardock Scramble. Even in some shows looked pretty good except I haven't watched their shows before.
Modified by LegendGoldDark, May 23, 2014 9:11 AM

May 23, 2014 9:06 AM
otaking
Gorim said:
Overrated, kinda: Production I.G

Too many people see studios as some unified production company where every work is made by the same people. Well Production I.G is far from it. In fact it has over 10 animation sections each with different staff, sometimes doing co-productions with other departments but majorly each working on it's own series animation.

Not only they are not a single simple company which works solely on one project, but each section has their own level of skill. Some have better animators and special effect users while others don't. For example Section 4 specializes in making cut scenes for games and making mediocre anime series like Ace of Diamond which lacks both animation and directing.

Not all of the sections are like Section 9 (Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit) which is one of my favorite production lines.

Underrated: Dogakobo

They're given far too little credit for good sakuga animation they put into their works. Mikakunin, Yuru Yuri, Gj-Bu would have sucked if they were made by J.C.Staffs C-studio or other mediocre department. They certainly are a rising star amongst studios. They've gotten few great still rather unknown freelancers like Masayuki Nonaka in their projects. ( http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/a6d50f8155bd1d232383b4c94aae36bd.gif http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/c6043e2bcdd8ff6c1b254d94c7851558.gif ).

Underrated: Kyoto Animation

Just because they're not given enough credit for paying actual salary to animators and staff members instead of using slavework.

id say kyo ani is the siblge most over rated studio ever
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

May 23, 2014 9:11 AM

FGAU1912 said:
Gorim said:

I wasn't really serious about KyoAni. I just wanted to point out that they are pretty much the only tv-animation studio that pays regular salary to their staff. We can see the quality when people are motivated by both money and their passion to make good sakuga and animation.

May 23, 2014 9:16 AM

Underrated: Studio Pierrot, Sunrise, Idea Factory (best comedies ever), A-1 Pictures (a bit too much hate here).

May 23, 2014 9:17 AM
otaking
Gorim said:
FGAU1912 said:
Gorim said:

I wasn't really serious about KyoAni. I just wanted to point out that they are pretty much the only tv-animation studio that pays regular salary to their staff. We can see the quality when people are motivated by both money and their passion to make good sakuga and animation.

toei and bandai do as well but they can affoed to more any any thing

May 23, 2014 9:49 AM

Pierrot suck a lot... Just see a Naruto Filler's... Pain x Naruto fight(was good , but with lot of animation errors ). Pacing suck too.

There's no way they are UR.

May 23, 2014 9:55 AM

Underrated: M.O.E.

A shame they were put out of business. Seriously bring them back, brilliant work with masterpieces such as Cosprayers and Ultimate Girls. Modern anime just isn't the same.

May 26, 2014 3:28 AM

Overrated: SHAFT
almost all of their show consist of 80% still shots, 20% actual animation

Underrated: Gohands maybe
"nothing is true. everything is permitted"

Jun 1, 2014 5:43 AM

skyzblue said:
Underrated: Idea Factory.
Yes.

Madhouse is neither overrated nor underrated. The stuff they do deserves the praise they get imo, also I wouldn't really say that they get too little attention to be underrated.
Modified by Anarei, Jun 1, 2014 5:59 AM

Jun 1, 2014 6:21 AM
Overrated: ufotable, pretty self-explanatory really.

Underrated: gonzo, give them a break they made freaking nhk

Jun 2, 2014 7:57 AM

Overrated: Shaft. I don't know how Nisekoi got such a high score and tbh Shaft animation looks unnecessarily over the top. It only works in Madoka and even then the third movie was a little over the top with the visuals. Haven't seen Monogatari yet so can't comment on that.

Underrated: KyoAni. They get too much hate for doing only slice of life but if you're good at something why not stick with it? They make emotional scenes 10x better and almost always adapt properly and in some cases even better than source material (Chuunibyou, Clannad After Story). Also their animation is always fluid with very few still screens and put more emphasis on making backgrounds and movement look realistic. Unlike Shaft's "we'll add sparkles and colourful backgrounds even if it looks really out of place because we don't know what to do with our animation budget".

Jun 2, 2014 8:37 AM

I have never understood the fanboyism over Shaft? Why are some people praising them like Gods? I remember when Nisekoi changed from some studio to Shaft and everyone was like: OMG OMG OMG IT'S SHAFT!!!

So.. Would someone be kind enough to explain why Shaft receives this sort of praise?

Jun 2, 2014 8:55 AM

DarknessOfEmo said:
Overrated: I hate Shaft and still do. Bunch of ecchi comedy shows that does not fit looking at you Bake. And, humor shows of Shaft isn't funny at all to me.

This.

Shaft please give Nisekoi anime to J.C staff and stop making ecchi as it doesn't suit the genre at all
2D>3D enough said. ^_^

Jun 2, 2014 9:11 AM

KyoAni is pretty much the epitome of overrated right now.

Jun 3, 2014 2:43 PM
Underworld J0ker

Toei ruined One Piece, so I hate em.

P.A works needs a little more attention IMO.

Jun 3, 2014 2:53 PM
I agree with the people who said Studio Pierrot is underrated

the animation in the last 100 or so episodes of Bleach was amazing

I think Pierrot do a better job with long running shounen than Toei

Jun 3, 2014 5:57 PM

Overrated:

Toei: Most of their anime are mediocre, at the best.
Shaft: A hit/miss for me. Not a god tier studio like many people say.
Ufotable: see Shaft.
J.C Staff: see Toei.

Underrated:

Gainax: So many excellent works to say. For me, one of the best Studios of all times.
Modified by bereta002, Jun 3, 2014 6:11 PM

Jun 4, 2014 7:56 PM

Used to love KyoAni but I'd say they're overrated now. A lot of their recent stuff has been pretty dumb i.e. Free!, and the 2nd season of Chuunibyou was the biggest disappointment ever :(

Jun 4, 2014 8:06 PM

How is Ufotable hit or miss? They're very consistent with the quality of their animation.

Jun 5, 2014 1:53 AM
otaking
Mizorefan said:
Overrated:

Toei: Most of their anime are mediocre, at the best.
Shaft: A hit/miss for me. Not a god tier studio like many people say.
Ufotable: see Shaft.
J.C Staff: see Toei.

Underrated:

Gainax: So many excellent works to say. For me, one of the best Studios of all times.

fully disagree

Jun 5, 2014 2:20 AM

Overrated Eiken.

Sazae-san was amazing until 1973 when it was still made by TCJ, then it turned to shit.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...

Jun 5, 2014 3:51 AM

Actually, how are we comparing/judging the studios? Do we compare their animation quality and art style or the way they adapt things or just what type of anime they choose to make in general? or something else?

Personally I think SHAFT is kinda overrated. I watched some Monogatari yesterday and I have to give them credit for the original art style, but the animation itself wasn't that great. And besides Monogatari and Madoka , most of their other shows are just average. I still think Shaft is a good studio, I just don't understand people who think everything made by Shaft is pure gold and that they make everything awesome.

And for underrated I would say J.C Staff,becaue I see them getting so much hate.
I think their animation and art style is good. I have watched a lot of J.C Staff stuff and most of it was good. I mean they made Bakuman,Toradora,Railgun,Maid-sama,etc and people call them a shit-tier studio? Sure they have done some bad stuff as well,but other studios have too. Overall I find J.C Staff a pretty decent and solid studio.

And also KyoAni. While I don't think they are underrated,I do feel like they get a lot of unnecessary hate. You can't deny that their animation quality is superb and their shows are well made. It's just those people who hate SoL and moe stuff instantly hate KyoAni too. I mean I don't like mecha , but I don't hate Sunrise for doing mecha shows. So I think it's really stupid to hate a studio because of the genre of anime they make.

Jun 5, 2014 3:54 AM
TRIGGER is underrated in my opinion.

Jun 5, 2014 8:51 AM

ARealVampire said:
TRIGGER is underrated in my opinion.

I don't think they're underrated so much as they're a new a studio.

IndigoBangarang said:
And also KyoAni. While I don't think they are underrated,I do feel like they get a lot of unnecessary hate. You can't deny that their animation quality is superb and their shows are well made.

They always have been known for having beautiful animation, great individual shots and subtle character movements etc. They know how to set up good atmospheres and stuff but that's not enough to make up for bad writing in their recent shows.

Feb 23, 2015 7:03 PM
Overrated-Ufotable...for the same reasons as KyoAni above. Good animation does not excuse awful writing and horrible execution. Also their fight scenes are pretty stupid and have no actual choreography. Just a bunch of flashes and sfx. (deal with it)

Underrated-Studio Deen, J.C. Staff. For pretty much the exact opposite reasons as pukotable. You know because they actually have substance and use actual choreography in their fight scenes.

Feb 23, 2015 7:06 PM

OVerrated- KyoAni

Underrated-MAPPA

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Feb 23, 2015 7:07 PM

Hanna-Barbera most underrated animation studio ever.
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&

Feb 23, 2015 7:19 PM

OR: Ufotable
UR:Toei

Pages (2) « 1 [2]