Mar 2011
overrated
Bandai owned sunrise
Underrated
Shin ei
you views plz
plz if done before plz say
DateYutakaMay 23, 2014 3:41 AM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 21, 2012 7:47 AM

Mar 2012
Overrated: Toei
Underrated: mmm dunno, I don't hear much about Madhouse but they're good so..
End Zionazism
Aug 21, 2012 7:57 AM
Mar 2011
Mikasa said:

Toei explain
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Aug 21, 2012 8:29 AM

Aug 2010
Overrated: SHAFT (even though they're one of my favourite studios), KyoAni, Ghibli, PA Works, Gainax (Deal with it)
Underrated: Madhouse, I.G. and JC Staff
Aug 21, 2012 8:39 AM

Feb 2012
Overrated: Any popular studio
Underrated: Any non-popular studio

Just about summed up this thread
Aug 21, 2012 8:42 AM
Mar 2011
Yvese said:

no thats not it

Aug 21, 2012 8:45 AM

Mar 2012
Otaking87 said:
Mikasa said:

Toei explain

They are cheap noobs who can't animate for crap, they get a lot of money and don't do anything
End Zionazism
Aug 21, 2012 8:49 AM

Feb 2012
Mikasa said:
Otaking87 said:
Mikasa said:

Toei explain

They are cheap noobs who can't animate for crap, they get a lot of money and don't do anything
You would know from your extensive knowledge of Toei anime.
Aug 21, 2012 8:50 AM

Mar 2012
Old anime don't count inb4 slam dunk
End Zionazism
Aug 21, 2012 8:54 AM
Mar 2011
Mikasa said:
Otaking87 said:
Mikasa said:

Toei explain

thay make more for the indutry and 90% of other studios combined since 98 they have gone down in qutily i admit that but is another crash happens thay will be one of the only five studios left and only two interdependently owned ones to boot

so i cann not call toei over rated
bTW they own Shin EI

Aug 21, 2012 9:18 AM

Jun 2012
overrated: shaft, kyoani, sunrise
underrated: madhouse, brains base
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 21, 2012 9:22 AM

Jul 2011
Yvese said:

Aug 21, 2012 9:25 AM

Aug 2010
Otaking87 said:
Mikasa said:
Otaking87 said:
Mikasa said:

Toei explain

thay make more for the indutry and 90% of other studios combined since 98 they have gone down in qutily i admit that but is another crash happens thay will be one of the only five studios left and only two interdependently owned ones to boot

so i cann not call toei over rated
bTW they own Shin EI

I'd hate to agree with this guy but Toei are pretty fucking awesome.
Aug 21, 2012 9:37 AM

Jul 2010
easily the most overrated one for me is ufotable. i cannot stand the garden of sinners series.
while the most underrated would be something like bee train.

Aug 21, 2012 9:48 AM

Sep 2008
KeiranShikari said:
Overrated: SHAFT (even though they're one of my favourite studios), KyoAni, Ghibli, PA Works, Gainax (Deal with it)

The overrated ones look about right.

I don't think Madhouse, I.G and JC are underrated though.

The most underrated studios imo would be Gonzo and Nomad. Perhaps Hoods Ent. as well, they have some awesome animation and artwork quality even if their shows were mostly on a crappy side.
Aug 21, 2012 10:00 AM
Sep 2011
seishi-sama said:
KeiranShikari said:

The overrated ones look about right.

I don't think Madhouse, I.G and JC are underrated though.

The most underrated studios imo would be Gonzo and Nomad. Perhaps Hoods Ent. as well, they have some awesome animation and artwork quality even if their shows were mostly on a crappy side.

Shaft is a very love-it-or-hate-it studio. Go to the News section on here and look at any thread involving an anime made by Shaft. 80% of the comments are from people who are sold on the show simply because it's Shaft.
Aug 21, 2012 10:07 AM
Jul 2018
Overrated has to be SHAFT.
There is only one SHAFT anime that I like and that is Madoka...everything else I don't care about.

Underrated has to be GONZO and DEEN.
I fail to see why people hate DEEN so much, they made some good anime. (Angel's Egg, Trust and Betrayel, Patlabor OVA, Hell Girl and etc...)
Also GONZO...the old GONZO made awesome anime (Welcome to the NHK!, Bokurano, Speed Grapher, Last Exile to some examples) until after 2007.
removed-userAug 21, 2012 10:14 AM
Aug 21, 2012 10:22 AM
Mar 2011
underrated
TMS Entertainment

Aug 21, 2012 10:35 AM

Nov 2008
I think Brains Base don't quite get the acclaim they deserve. Baccano, Mawaru Penguindrum, Durarara, Spice & Wolf, Natsume Yuujinchou and Kuragehime were all pretty great shows. The only one I've seen that didn't impress me much was Kamisama Dolls and I think I can blame that on the original material, not the way they handled it.
Aug 21, 2012 10:36 AM

May 2011
Mikasa said:

Madhouse is considered by many to be the best studio, I don't think it's underrated.

Let's see. Overrated: P.A Works.

Underrated: Brains Base.
Aug 21, 2012 10:40 AM

Mar 2012
leokiko said:
Mikasa said:

Madhouse is considered by many to be the best studio, I don't think it's underrated.

Let's see. Overrated: P.A Works.

Underrated: Brains Base.

I see, I just didn't hear much about it myself then :P
End Zionazism
Aug 21, 2012 10:46 AM

Jan 2011
Overrated: Shaft, Ufotable
Underrated: TMS Entertainment
Aug 21, 2012 12:09 PM

Feb 2010
Neane1993 said:
Overrated has to be SHAFT.
There is only one SHAFT anime that I like and that is Madoka...everything else I don't care about.

Aside from the fact that I thought decently of SZS, yeah, I concur. SHAFT's usual style often detracts from what is otherwise good material so it's no surprise that the only anime I really loved from them was Madoka partly due to Shinbo's artistic ego not getting in the way of good storytelling. The eccentricities were used sparingly and had a point as far as PMMM goes.
Neane1993 said:
Underrated has to be GONZO and DEEN.
I fail to see why people hate DEEN so much, they made some good anime. (Angel's Egg, Trust and Betrayel, Patlabor OVA, Hell Girl and etc...)
Also GONZO...the old GONZO made awesome anime (Welcome to the NHK!, Bokurano, Speed Grapher, Last Exile to some examples) until after 2007.

Nobody is denying what Deen and Gonzo have accomplished in the past but the mentality toward any brand in a business is always what have you done for me lately?
Aug 21, 2012 12:41 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Overrated: SHAFT.
Underrated: Studio 4 ºC.
Aug 21, 2012 12:45 PM

Jun 2012
Yvese said:

Aug 21, 2012 1:37 PM

Mar 2012
Shuhan said:
Yvese said:

Wrong wrong wrong.

Popular studio + Makes decent anime = not overrated

non-pop + makes crappy anime = not underrated
End Zionazism
Aug 21, 2012 3:30 PM

May 2012
Madhouse is not underrated lmao
Aug 21, 2012 3:51 PM

Jul 2012
Overrated: P.A. Works. The work that I've seen them do (Another, Tari Tari, Angel Beats!) aren't all that great in terms of both story and artwork imo.
Underrated: Honestly, I'd say J.C. Staff. The hate that this studio gets is absurd and the fact that people are practically blaming J.C. for having to switch VA's because the original VA got pregnant (J.C. got her pregnant ofc) is so stupid. Their works aren't always complete shit, and it's pathetic to see so much hate against them.
Aug 21, 2012 3:55 PM

Dec 2011
Overrated- Shaft
Underrated- Studio Deen, Gonzo, White Fox, and Brain's Base
Aug 21, 2012 4:03 PM

Oct 2011
Overrated:I don't know
Underrated:I don't care
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Aug 21, 2012 6:23 PM

Mar 2012
Shirtisred said:

Alright I get it I said it you don't have to rub it in >.< :P
End Zionazism
Aug 21, 2012 10:45 PM
Mar 2011
Mikasa said:
Shirtisred said:

Alright I get it I said it you don't have to rub it in >.< :P

my issiues with madhouse is there not independert he; there no even down bt another anime studio there owned by a telcoms company so money they make is not anime Industry money cost only aout 2-6% goes to them the rest gos to stock holders so the peearnt company people say the indusrey is loosing money its not it just lost one of the biggest earner id say if the loss of mad house as a fully inderpendant studio lost the indursy around 1/8 of its total over all overheard income

using the idea that anime makes $3-4 billion a year [ after taxes and what not ] to loose almost 13% of that is not good is it

sorry to bore you with this but the madhouse you thinking of is dead so it cannot be underated or overared it died in 2007

Aug 21, 2012 10:59 PM

Aug 2011
Overrated: KyoAni, Gainax
Underrated: J.C. Staff. I liked a lot of their stuff but they seem to get massive hate. I also agree with Brains Base, they're amazing.
Aug 21, 2012 11:04 PM
May 2010
Over rated = shaft. Don't get me wrong, they make some good things. No doubt about that. I just do not think they are anywhere near as good as some people say.

No idea about under rated though.
Worships Asparagus.
Aug 21, 2012 11:29 PM

Jun 2012
Overrated: Kyoani. All that pretty animation isn't used up to its full potential considering most series done are just slice of life (did Hyouka really need all those pretty visuals?). Now, if that animation budget went to animating the next season of Full Metal Panic, my rating of them will rise significantly.

Underrated: I dunno, Deen? Granted, Higurashi had bad animation, but they did make Kore wa Zombie desu ka? and Unlimited Blade Works.
Aug 22, 2012 2:02 AM

Aug 2008
Ufotable overated? wah?

Aug 22, 2012 2:15 AM

Aug 2011
Underrated: I don't see A-1 Pictures get much love, and so far I haven't watched a series from them that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed.

Overrated: Gainax
Aug 22, 2012 2:48 AM

Jun 2012
Kenju said:
Ufotable overated? wah?

A lot of the time overrated tends to just be another word for popular or well received. Wouldn't look too much into it.
Aug 22, 2012 8:13 AM

Nov 2008
BatoKusanagi said:
Underrated: Studio 4 ºC.
Oh yeah, this too. These guys do some crazy shit.
May 23, 2014 3:06 AM

Jul 2013
Shaft is overrated as usual due to viewers looking at the unique visual style. In my opinion it just ruins the anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2014 3:38 AM

Dec 2012
Overrated: Madhouse, KyoAni, Toei, SHAFT (yea..)

Underrated: Brain Base, Studio Perriot, J.C. Staff, Manglobe (because their works sell horribly in Japan)
May 23, 2014 3:40 AM
Mar 2011
underrated
bandai - ad all they own they make most money for the industry
Toei - the most infulNCE STUDIO in japan that is still alive in anime or live action
Eiken- yes the most suseesful year on year anime is maide by these[ tv ratings wise

May 23, 2014 3:42 AM

Dec 2012
FGAU1912 said:

Toei - the most infulNCE STUDIO in japan that is still alive in anime or live action

Their works are popular with great ratings. Despite their animation and effort being lacking.

I wish the rights to DB belonged to other studio.
May 23, 2014 3:44 AM
Mar 2011
tsudecimo said:
FGAU1912
[/quote said:

Their works are popular with great ratings. Despite their animation and effort being lacking.

I wish the rights to DB belonged to other studio.

there also the oldest studio left [ pre split they were better back when the film studio also ran the animation studio to ]

May 23, 2014 4:15 AM

Nov 2012
Overrated: SHAFT. When the only thing you make is Monogatari and clones of Monogatari and people still love you, well... Yeah, their stuff in the past few years just ain't interesting (bar Madoka). People criticise KyoAni for only making moe girls doing moe shit. Why don't people criticise SHAFT for making what could be interesting characters do nothing at all?

Underrated: David Production. Well I guess they're a bit more well known nowadays because of Jojo, but apart from that, no one seems to pay attention to any of their other stuff, all of which are actually somewhat interesting and one of which is Book of Bantorra which is fuckin' awesome.
May 23, 2014 5:59 AM

Jun 2013
Dunno 'bout others, but for me MadHouse lives up to it's praise. Almost all of my favorite anime were made by them.
Dimitrije1606May 23, 2014 6:12 AM
Ad Astra Per Aspera
May 23, 2014 6:11 AM
Jun 2013
mitch3315 said:
Underrated: I don't see A-1 Pictures get much love, and so far I haven't watched a series from them that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed.

Chousouku Henkei Gyrozetter will change that opinion of yours, despite it is a solid production in itself. A-1 Pictures's anime do excel in visuals, though.

Back to the topic,
Overrated: So far, haven't seen any yet.
Underrated: TMS (a lot of underrated anime) & OLM (dismissed for animating game adaptations regardless of the actual quality).
Nothing is bad for being in any genre or demographic, especially anime for kids.
May 23, 2014 7:00 AM

Mar 2012
Who used a phoenix down, in a 2012 thread?? LoL.

Underrated : IdeaFactory
Overrated : Toei, Pierrot, A-1
May 23, 2014 7:24 AM

Jan 2014
Underrated: Madhouse. Seriously their works are beyond epic yet they hardly get SOME rec. Not enough though.

Pierrot is a great studio but it always gets shitty source material.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2014 7:29 AM

Mar 2012
judals said:
Underrated: Madhouse. Seriously their works are beyond epic yet they hardly get SOME rec. Not enough though.

Indeed.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 12 minutes ago

3 by Silverlight41 »»
1 minute ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

79 by ame »»
3 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 9 hours ago

13 by perseii »»
16 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

28 by Kenzolo-folk »»
22 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.