Forum Settings
Forums
Aug 19, 2012 8:28 PM

Out of the big three ive only watched/read one piece and i must say i really do love it, Bleach and Naruto are clearly a lot different to it and i want to know what makes them so great.

The big 3 have been running for a long time now So what do you think makes the big 3 so great and able to run for so long?

Ive heard the widest range of opinions on the big 3 from people hating them with a passion to others loving it and practically giving their life for it, mostly i only see fan boys saying "bleach is great, this sucks" and i have never actually come across actual reasons on why people think they are so good.
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?

Aug 19, 2012 8:30 PM
#1 Chihaya Fan

They're aren't great though.

Aug 19, 2012 8:33 PM

mitch3315 said:

Well a shit tonne of people seem to think so

Aug 19, 2012 8:35 PM
#1 Chihaya Fan

jimbob1141 said:
mitch3315 said:

A shit tonne of people think Avatar is the best movie ever, or CoD is the best game ever, that doesn't make it so.

Aug 19, 2012 8:38 PM

Honestly, One Piece is the only one of the three major publications from Shonen Jump that I've seen do consistently well with the Internet anime fandom. AFAIK they're disillusioned with Naruto and Bleach.

And that's the key we're looking for here: Internet anime fandom. Obviously Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece have enough pull in Japan as far as their target audience goes.

For what it's worth, Naruto is a bit more of a tactical series than most of its kin. The power levels can get ridiculous but there's never a sense that pure power is all it takes to win battles. There's also some unifying themes Kishimoto goes for no matter how simplified they might be. That sense of unity delivers a focused message to its audience methinks.

Bleach...no clue.

Edit: At least, I think that contributes to Naruto's popularity.

Aug 19, 2012 8:40 PM

mitch3315 said:
jimbob1141 said:
mitch3315 said:

A shit tonne of people think Avatar is the best movie ever, or CoD is the best game ever, that doesn't make it so.

Well yes but there must surely be reasons why they do like it, this is what im after.

Personally i dont like COD and havent seen avatar xD

Aug 19, 2012 8:40 PM

The Big 3 are like the gateways to anime for a lot of newcomers. Generally a lot of people who begin to watch anime first start watching Bleach, One Piece or Naruto since they were more put out there and commercialized then other anime series and were easy to get into because shounen is a easy genre for anyone to get into really.

In reality they can either be good or bad but since for a lot of people that's what they started watching they will generally stick with it all the way to the end since that's what they started out watching and got them into anime making the fanbase large since they are long-running and pretty popular whether it be good or bad.

My take on it anyway.
Modified by Ragix, Aug 19, 2012 8:43 PM
Touch me, you filthy casual~

Aug 19, 2012 8:42 PM

I'm pretty sure they have shit taste. The big 3 fan base is terrible too.

Aug 19, 2012 8:43 PM

Ragix said:
The Big 3 are like the gateways to anime for a lot of newcomers. Generally a lot of people who begin to watch anime first start watching Bleach, One Piece or Naruto since they were more put out there and commercialized then other anime series and were easy to get into because shounen is a easy genre for anyone to get into really.

In reality they are all decent but since for a lot of people that's what they started watching they will generally stick with it all the way to the end making the fanbase large since they are long-running and pretty popular whether it be good or bad.

My take on it anyway.

People should keep away from Naruto like the plague.

Naruto is a gateway anime of the worst kind. It's a bad series, a clusterfuck of story and characterization that isn't very well done by any aspect, but which attempts to compensate for its weaknesses by adding in excessive shipping faggotry and DARKNESS. The normal anon can see this as the shit it is, and may enjoy it, hate it or be indifferent to it, but all the while recognizing that the series itself, regardless of their opinion, is plain bad.

However, these very aspects that try to smear over the shit of its core make it a breeding ground for aspie, unsociable underageb& faggots who engage in every kind of faggotry both online and in the real world. The superpowered characters all trying their hardest to look cool, the jutsus, peculiar, colorful clothes, the whole ninja faggotry and everything about the Naruto world fuels their escapist fantasies, while the pity-party character backgrounds, emphasis on revenge, and overall preachiness of the series make it fit just right with the mary-sueish drives of your average preteen and his sense of unwarranted self-importance towards the world. Exactly the kind of shit that makes little kiddies and underageb& retards eat this shit right the fuck up.

Naruto is basically THE series to attract the most hated anime fanbase known to /a/, which is why, regardless of individual opinions, it is the responsibility of every anon to troll the fuck out of this show and everyone who likes it, and ensure that no Naruto threads ever encourage the newfriends to show their faces here.

^Reason why Naruto is bad.

One Piece is great for a shounen (tho Manga > Anime, no doubt.) mostly cause of not overusing important deaths, interesting powers, story is not particularly linear (asides from island to island) and the humor is great.

Bleach I do not have an opinion on.
Pjupp doesn't do signatures, but if he would they would probably be the best signatures in the world.

Aug 19, 2012 8:44 PM

STDs are popular, but that doesn't mean they're good for you.

Aug 19, 2012 8:45 PM

Ragix said:

In reality they can either be good or bad but since for a lot of people that's what they started watching they will generally stick with it all the way to the end making since that's what they started out watching making the fanbase large since they are long-running and pretty popular whether it be good or bad.

My take on it anyway.

I like that, actually does make a lot of sense.
One piece wasn't exactly the first thing i started watching (its actually the most recent) but if it did go to shit and start being bad i would still watch it (i doubt it would go to shit though) xD Also i think the huge amount of episodes allows you to really get into it and the characters and it makes it easier to become a fan especially considering they are still running.

Aug 19, 2012 8:46 PM

Rurouni_Tobi said:

Never repeat that to anyone again :D

Aug 19, 2012 8:47 PM

Rurouni_Tobi said:

....What...? So you mean... my Chlamydia ain't good for me?...Now I'm seriously disappointed... :(
Pjupp doesn't do signatures, but if he would they would probably be the best signatures in the world.

Aug 19, 2012 8:48 PM

But seriously, they are pretty easy to get into. Especially when you are new.

Aug 19, 2012 8:57 PM

Popular = more $ for promotion and associated products.
Popular = need to fit a wide age range.
They all started with attractive plots, OP & Naruto got some good memories in the early middle part. (I'm talking about manga only and I'm not reading much lately)

Aug 19, 2012 9:10 PM
bleach? bleach isn't one of the big three since months, it's always among the last 5 in the WSJ ToC, naruto and one piece are great because they aren't trying to milk money this much

Aug 19, 2012 9:10 PM

Nothing.
They blow ass

Aug 19, 2012 9:15 PM

Nothing.

Which is why they are so great.

Aug 19, 2012 9:17 PM

mitch3315 said:
jimbob1141 said:
mitch3315 said:

I used to think Avatar was the best movie ever. Then I started watching movies. Same with DBZ and anime. I've always hated the big 3 though. I for one got into anime through K-On!

Shaduge said:
bleach? bleach isn't one of the big three since months, it's always among the last 5 in the WSJ ToC, naruto and one piece are great because they aren't trying to milk money this much

Naruto not milking money? What dimension are you from again?

Rurouni_Tobi said:

I think the clap is overrated

Modified by SeibaaHomu, Aug 19, 2012 9:28 PM

Aug 19, 2012 9:20 PM

They have a lot of episodes and most people on mal are the right age to have gotten into them as children.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!

Aug 19, 2012 10:03 PM

Pjupp said:

People should keep away from Naruto like the plague.

Naruto is a gateway anime of the worst kind. It's a bad series, a clusterfuck of story and characterization that isn't very well done by any aspect, but which attempts to compensate for its weaknesses by adding in excessive shipping faggotry and DARKNESS. The normal anon can see this as the shit it is, and may enjoy it, hate it or be indifferent to it, but all the while recognizing that the series itself, regardless of their opinion, is plain bad.

However, these very aspects that try to smear over the shit of its core make it a breeding ground for aspie, unsociable underageb& faggots who engage in every kind of faggotry both online and in the real world. The superpowered characters all trying their hardest to look cool, the jutsus, peculiar, colorful clothes, the whole ninja faggotry and everything about the Naruto world fuels their escapist fantasies, while the pity-party character backgrounds, emphasis on revenge, and overall preachiness of the series make it fit just right with the mary-sueish drives of your average preteen and his sense of unwarranted self-importance towards the world. Exactly the kind of shit that makes little kiddies and underageb& retards eat this shit right the fuck up.

Naruto is basically THE series to attract the most hated anime fanbase known to /a/, which is why, regardless of individual opinions, it is the responsibility of every anon to troll the fuck out of this show and everyone who likes it, and ensure that no Naruto threads ever encourage the newfriends to show their faces here.

^Reason why Naruto is bad.

One Piece is great for a shounen (tho Manga > Anime, no doubt.) mostly cause of not overusing important deaths, interesting powers, story is not particularly linear (asides from island to island) and the humor is great.

Bleach I do not have an opinion on.

Somehow, I knew that Phantom would be one of your favorite animes... talk about bad shows...

On topic:

Simple + Decent + Action = Success
Let's go bowling.

Aug 19, 2012 10:07 PM

What makes the big 3 so great?

Numbers. The big three do big ass numbers. They have been workhorses for WSJ and have brought in tons of money for their franchises. In most parts of the world making a lot of money is one way(Not only or maybe not the best) to measure success.

Aug 19, 2012 10:17 PM

One Piece - I haven't read it, but from what I've heard it's awesome and deserves its status. The only reason I'm not reading it is that it's too long.
Naruto - Started off great, then decayed to the utter shit we have today. imo, there's just something jarring between Part 1 and Part 2.
Bleach - SS Arc was good, then it turned to shit after that. It's only good for trolls now, but it's been getting better (people are actually getting killed *gasp*).

Aug 20, 2012 2:17 AM
It's because they're big. Everyone knows about them, they're easy to get into and simply fun to watch(full of action at times). After that many episodes, you don't really want to stop.

Aug 20, 2012 2:26 AM

Hello people, can we please stop continuing this conversation wich is not gonna change nobody.

Thank you.

Aug 20, 2012 3:18 AM
Its Battle-Shonens and Battle-Shonens are awesome.

super powers, adventure, battles, more super powers, nakama punches, more battles, power ups. characters that you can get attached to, characters you can hate with your entire being.

ITS LONG, SO MANY YEARS. SO MUCH AWESOMENESS.
Modified by Gatchum_Bye-Bye, Aug 20, 2012 3:38 AM

Aug 20, 2012 3:28 AM
otaking
They are not the Big Three
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Aug 20, 2012 3:33 AM
Anime_Name said:

Numbers. The big three do big ass numbers. They have been workhorses for WSJ and have brought in tons of money for their franchises. In most parts of the world making a lot of money is one way(Not only or maybe not the best) to measure success.

You know, while what you just said is true in a way I think its fairly obvious he is asking what made them make so much money in the first place..

Enjolras1830 said:

Yes they are. That is what we call them. Deal with it.
Worships Asparagus.

Aug 20, 2012 3:38 AM
I like One Piece, Cause of its consistenancy, I do hate the long recaps for those major event episodes. But overall the show flows well and is done well.

Naruto and Bleach had to many fillers that just didn't add to the experience, Only when Ichigo finally lost his powers did I get interested again.

Naruto once its back on track the show is good.

But Maybe the manga is different as I hear that it is so. So maybe I will read bleach when I have time.

Aug 20, 2012 3:41 AM

They never were great and probably never will be. Badly writing, clliche, childish and formulaic or repetitive.

Naruto and OP are enjoyable, but both haven't been as fun lately..
Bleach is eh...didn't even see anything great in the SS arc people talk so much about.

If i'd rank them It'd be
1) Naruto part 1
2) OP
3) Naruto part 2
4) Bleach

Aug 20, 2012 3:42 AM

It's more like because they're popular, hence the name "big 3", well that's what it think, if they were the best then they'd probably be called Top 3 or something instead:P

as for what I think about them, One piece is as what most people say, long and I don't really want to pick it up. Bleach was pretty good though the fillers started making me get bored and I just didn't feel like continuing so i just put it on hold. As for Naruto, if it wasn't for the fillers and the flashbacks then i'd say it's actually a pretty good anime, especially now when it's getting to its "best" part. though the fillers and flashbacks do irritate me

Aug 20, 2012 3:48 AM
otaking
miereneronaile said:
Anime_Name said:

You know, while what you just said is true in a way I think its fairly obvious he is asking what made them make so much money in the first place..

Enjolras1830 said:

what proof have you got too call them thus sales Figues tv Ratings Merch sales figures not nothing to back up use of a n Unsubstantiated Use of words
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Aug 20, 2012 3:56 AM

Bleach

Anyone who has paid any attention to the quality of his show knows that it's been down hill since the end of Soul Society arc. It's a know fact. Even today people that say Bleach sucks usually mention that they loved the show up to that point. So what made it loose popularity after that? Repeating the same storyline in a slightlly different fashion.

And Bleach manga sales have dropped alot during the reacent years so i'm pretty sure that's what happened to the anime as well.

But what made Bleach so good in the beginning then?
I'd say back then it was the main character Ichigo. He wasn't a crying emo kid that everyone knows he is today. Arrogant, dumb but in a kiddy way like his competitors Naruto and Luffy. He acted more laid back then the other 2 and that's the biggest difference when i compare the main characters. Also Ichigo shared great chemistry with the leading female at the time Kuchiki Rukia. Those two just worked together. Witch is sad that after the SS arc they tried to have the same impact with different characters and that just did not work.

Other then that there was humour that was funny and a dark atmosphere, the story being about demon like creatures devouring human souls.

But in the end after the SS arc ended the repeativenes of the story and including way too many characters (everyone one step stronger then the rest) started eating away at the quality and the fanbase.

In the end i would still recommend to anyone to check out the first 63 episodes of the anime. During that time i would have happily given it an 8/10 but sadly after 300 or so episodes it has fallen so much so 3.5/10 is best i could give it

Naruto

With this one i still think that the first Naruto series before Shippuuden is awesome. I dont count the +100 filler they trew in there cause they included them after the Narutos actual story was completed (that was continued with shippuuden) so in the first 135 episodes of Naruto there really weren't that many fillers at all. in the end of every story arc there might have been 1 or 2 and there is one filler arc i remember but even that was about 5 episodes long.

So for me the fillers that made the fanbase cry and rage so much are nowdays so easily skipable that i really dont think they drag the series down that much.

So in the early days of Naruto they had this thing called tactics. (no i'm dead serious) The show that was about ninjas actually felt that it was about ninjas. Ninjas with magic powers but that's not relevant! Not every fight was won by who has the bigger hair or random powerups or Nakama power. Every fight was well thought out and the best ones just felt epic. This was accompanied by and awesome soundtrack and great fight animation so as for a shounen series to have those things right you have atleast a deacent shounen show.

What made it great for me back then was that it had a very large, but fleshed out cast of characters.

Everyone of those characters had "their moment" in the anime that made you rethink how you felt about them. Even characters that have been totally annoying and pointles had their moment to shine and just one fight made me change my opinion of some of the characters.

The story department in Naruto(not shippuuden) wasn't anything amazing but it worked well.

But when you go into Shippuuden you might notice that because everyone should always get stronger cause that's the shounen way, the powers became very not ninja like... Latest powerups are making the fights more DBZ like, but i think Shippuuden still has it's moments.

One Piece
The best of the 3. Mainly i'd say because it's the only show that's kept the quality up in the later parts of the story in a way that Naruto and definitely Bleach could not achieve.

Even though the anime is getting weaker and weaker because it's so close to the manga that they stall in every episode, instead of going for a break or adding fillers, the manga is still going strong and after the boring fishman arc, the new arc that's going on right now is indeed awesome once again.

I don't wanna go to detail with this one so i'll just say that it's just awesome.

I think in few years or so Bleach will be replaced in the big 3 by Fairy Tail
well Bleach anime got cancelled and the manga is supposed to end when the latest arc ends.

Enjolras1830 said:
miereneronaile said:

what proof have you got too call them thus sales Figues tv Ratings Merch sales figures not nothing to back up use of a n Unsubstantiated Use of words

They have been called the big 3 for a long time now because they have been running for a long time together and been the best selling 3 series of their time even though Dragon Ball is the best selling manga ever it did not run at the same time as these 3. Common anime knowledge. Why so mad?
Modified by Corva, Aug 20, 2012 4:08 AM

Aug 20, 2012 3:58 AM

jimbob1141 said:
mitch3315 said:

Well yes but there must surely be reasons why they do like it, this is what im after.

Personally i dont like COD and havent seen avatar xD

Simply:Before creating the show the creators watched the previous animes that made it to be really popular(the big 3 were mostly infuenced by DBZ).They analised which were the parts that the consumership liked,slapped all those parts together and made absolutely sure there was no art involved.
"Efficiency is not king, efficacy is."

Post a comment on my profile. Profile comments are fun.

Aug 20, 2012 4:04 AM

They appeal to a wide range in audience and are easy to understand, therefore a lot of people watch them. This doesn't make them great however.

Aug 20, 2012 4:09 AM

The average MAL user does not appreciate sale figures.What he does appreciate is a good story and art in general.The best artists died poor
"Efficiency is not king, efficacy is."

Post a comment on my profile. Profile comments are fun.

Aug 20, 2012 4:09 AM

Let me correct the term, it should be "Weekly Shonen Jump's Big Three" but people calls them the big 3 because it's shorter. As for the reasons, they sell a lot, OP sells more than 2,000,000 copies with each new volume. Naruto sell around 1,000,000 copies with each new volume. Bleach sell more than 600,000 copies with each new volume, which is still considered one of the 3 manga that sell the most in WSJ, its big 3 in other words.
Modified by Candor, Aug 20, 2012 5:06 AM

Aug 20, 2012 4:15 AM
otaking
thats is the US Fans Only like Jump not stuff like sunday or Champion or Gan Gan

Aug 20, 2012 4:18 AM
Enjolras1830 said:
miereneronaile said:
Anime_Name said:

Enjolras1830 said:

It is a name used to talk about 3 separate anime in one. Not a statement of a fact. For goodness sake, think a bit.

Also.. They are the only 3 anime in MALS top 30 for popularity still airing(well, bleach has stopped for now, and maybe permanently. Time will tell?). There is one reason to call them the big 3.

They are the only 3 anime over 100(70, even..) still airing in MALs top 30 popularity wise. Another reason. By the way, this is MAL. Not Japan. So when you come back and say all these things about sales in Japan and such, know that I do not care about those things. They are not what everyone uses to judge the value of an anime.
Modified by miereneronaile, Aug 20, 2012 4:22 AM
Worships Asparagus.

Aug 20, 2012 4:21 AM
SquadmemberRitsu said:

Shaduge said:

sorry but who's the author who's still coming up with how to end his manga? who's the author that draws chapters equivalent to 2min in an episode each? who's the author that forgets about characters? which is the manga that is full of plotholes?
get back to your cave

Aug 20, 2012 4:22 AM

The term itself only involves the MOST POPULAR WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP MANGA WHICH ARE ONE PIECE/NARUTO/BLEACH

INB4TORIKO NOOBS. No toriko's sales still haven't surpassed Bleach's and it isn't even close

Aug 20, 2012 5:24 AM

Shaduge said:
SquadmemberRitsu said:

Shaduge said:

sorry but who's the author who's still coming up with how to end his manga? who's the author that draws chapters equivalent to 2min in an episode each? who's the author that forgets about characters? which is the manga that is full of plotholes?
get back to your cave

I think you've got the wrong idea. I think Bleach is awful too. Naruto just happens to be worse in just about every regard. Plus I would prefer having a chapter equalling 2 minutes in an anime than 30. Chapter are meant to be brief so dragging them out for 30 minutes is just plain dumb. I'll answer your questions now.

1. Naruto and Bleach
2. Bleach, but that's a good thing
3. Bleach
4. Naruto and Bleach

You're the people I hate the most out of all anime fans. Those group of Narutards that insult Bleach despite the fact that their show is practically the same thing as Bleach. Except Naruto is worse

Aug 20, 2012 7:01 AM

SquadmemberRitsu said:
Plus I would prefer having a chapter equalling 2 minutes in an anime than 30. Chapter are meant to be brief so dragging them out for 30 minutes is just plain dumb.
How are they meant to be brief? It's 20 pages one way or another and doing fuck all with those 20 pages week after week is nothing but lazy.

Aug 20, 2012 7:06 AM

OhNasti said:
Hello people, can we please stop continuing this conversation wich is not gonna change nobody.

Thank you.

Whos trying to change people? i simply asked what makes them so great.

Aug 20, 2012 7:08 AM

I have watched many, many animes and have followed the anime "scene" for years, and i still think One Piece is one of the best animes ever made.

Aug 20, 2012 7:13 AM

Candor said:
Let me correct the term, it should be "Weekly Shonen Jump's Big Three" but people calls them the big 3 because it's shorter. As for the reasons, they sell a lot, OP sells more than 2,000,000 copies with each new volume. Naruto sell around 1,000,000 copies with each new volume. Bleach sell more than 600,000 copies with each new volume, which is still considered one of the 3 manga that sell the most in WSJ, its big 3 in other words.

You said as for the reasons, but didnt state any reasons? xD

Aug 20, 2012 7:15 AM

Nothing makes them great. I think they're terrible. Except Bleach really. That series would have been pretty alright if they didn't drag everything out and just stuck to the bread and butter of it all and not added pointless 5 episode fights between random characters and entire seasons that have nothing to do with what's really going on. I dare say if they had chopped it down to a 50-70 ep. series, it would be pretty good.

Aug 20, 2012 7:16 AM
otaking
jimbob1141 said:
Candor said:

You said as for the reasons, but didnt state any reasons? xD

this thread is anime not manga

Aug 20, 2012 7:38 AM

I believe the main reason that people see these 3 animes as being "great" is because they were some of the first animes that we had ever watched. Naruto was the first anime I had ever watched and because of that I thought it was the best ever. Then bleach and one piece came along too and I loved them since I kinda grew up with them. I believe that is why they are so popular.

But now that I've seen a large amount of anime they don't even crack my top 20. I still continue to watch the shows and read the chapters but I think they are far from being considered the best animes ever.

Aug 20, 2012 8:14 AM

I started reading Bleach and got to volume 38 in a heart beat. It was really mind-blowing, the story wouldn't stop developing, it had awesome battles and characters, cool enemies and stuff. What happened after that I don't know, but I can tell you what I read was totally worth it. I don't know about the anime and I don't even wanna try watching it.

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »