Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2008 2:35 PM
Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmmm I'm not sure about this now, I'm really not liking the characters, but I may stick with it purely because everyone says it's amazing.

Nov 10, 2008 11:41 PM
Dec 2007
It's confusing for me. All the weird names for things are getting me mixed up and the subbers didn't include notes, so I'm still not sure what certain things are.

But it still looks interesting, So I'll keep at it.
Mar 29, 2009 12:49 AM

Feb 2009
I have high expectations of this anime since it's ratings are high. So far it seems to be an interesting anime with a lot of things that need to be explained.

Apr 8, 2009 2:24 PM

Sep 2008
Paksennarion said:
It's confusing for me. All the weird names for things are getting me mixed up and the subbers didn't include notes, so I'm still not sure what certain things are.

But it still looks interesting, So I'll keep at it.

same here...wish the subbers included more notes
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 25, 2010 10:15 PM
Apr 2009
Another bad episode.
I don't like the characters, especially that Keiki guy. He said he was going to protect Yoko and he haven't done anything yet.
Apr 8, 2010 7:59 AM

Sep 2008
be patient. I was on the verge of dropping the series until episode 14 or 15. But I stuck to it and it turned out to be one of the best experiences I've had with animes.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Apr 10, 2010 1:58 PM

May 2009
Ugh, so it's boring for about 13 episodes? Ugh...
Apr 20, 2010 2:16 AM

Sep 2008
Athena said:
Ugh, so it's boring for about 13 episodes? Ugh...

its boring only in the first few eps. It gets interesting gradually but the characters stop being annoying by the end of this arc (which i believe is ep 13 or 14). The next three arcs that follow are just magic
Apr 20, 2010 4:33 AM

May 2009
^ Yeah, I'm on the 21st episode, and I'm really enjoying it. And it definitely gets better before the 13th episode, so I'm glad I kept going :)
Dec 3, 2010 11:13 PM

Apr 2010
I'd watch my back around Sugimoto >.>

Dec 13, 2010 12:52 PM

May 2010
Uhhh ummm, uhhh yeah those solitary moments with Yoko is kinda weird
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 22, 2011 7:56 AM

Aug 2010
I'm confused with all those "youma" etc terms!! And i do hope that aft ep 13 it'll be more interesting than the 3 episodes so far!
Jul 29, 2011 2:39 PM

Sep 2008
... Putting all my trust in other commenters about this anime, now. Youko continued to annoy me - as did Sugimoto. The only one that didn't get on my nerves was the dude with the two of them. Well, at the very least I'm looking forward to having a lot of things explained, like the situation behind the country of Kei, and about the "youma", and about Keiki is. I have to laugh when I hear his name, since it's the same way the Japanese would say "cake"...
Jul 19, 2012 11:49 AM
Jan 2010
Why is sugimoto so ANGRY all the time? chill up sis
Aug 1, 2012 4:25 PM

Jul 2007
FantasyHeaven said:
Why is sugimoto so ANGRY all the time? chill up sis

Yeah ive noticed that as well. It is like she is almost possessed by something. She is a little TO angry if you ask me. It almost seems like she is heading down a path towards darkness, (fushuki yugi) :P

Or its just the fact that she doesn't trust anyone in that world and yuko and asani are just to trusting. Either way the women was trying to take care of them and sugimoto pretty much told yoku to kill her right then and their, thats a bit of extreme if you ask me and inhuman.

Some other characters were introduced in this episode, i know nothing bout, very confusing so far. The way the king talked bout how babies are born, differently in the real world and then takes this parrot and splits it apart. Very weird lol. Its obvious he is using it to spy on some one. That character at the very end of the episode was very creepy, telling yoku that if she was dead, their would be no more suffering. So many confusing mysteries introduced and the series just started.

Aug 29, 2013 12:22 AM

May 2012
Well Youko is really a whiny character, 3 episodes in and I already hate her, really hoping it gets better just going trough with it for all the praise the show gets, but the premise of the show is interesting enough as well so just hoping Youko becomes a good character to carry the plot.

Truly, comparisons between fellow humans are what turn out to be the most infuriating.
Nov 7, 2013 5:12 PM

Mar 2013
Just picked up this series, and I'm gonna trust the comment people so far.

Youko's annoying me less for being scared, and more for being really foolish thus far.
I hear that changes though...

The thing that irked me in a strangely large amount was the fact that they left the Scabbard behind. I kept thinking: "ugh, that's gonna come back to haunt you later somehow."
Feb 18, 2014 1:05 AM

Jul 2008
That's an f-ed up conversation between her mom and dad there at the end. Yeah Youko is whiny, but unlike most shows I'm fine with it, because its completely reasonable. I'm more annoyed with Sugimoto because she wants to kill everyone. That and also this supposed language barrier.

Also still trying to get the vocab and culture right, so many different kinds of people and beasts and kingdoms to keep track of.
Mar 25, 2014 6:53 AM

Aug 2013
Sugimoto's delusional thinking she's the one Keiki saved. Chuunibyou set in a mythical world.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 6, 2015 5:15 AM

Jan 2012
Dat ending . new crazy psychic to show up.

Apr 16, 2015 1:38 PM

Jun 2013
Well, it is starting to get more interesting, but most of the characters are really unlikeable
Oct 26, 2015 11:43 PM

Apr 2014
Scribbly said:
Hmmm I'm not sure about this now, I'm really not liking the characters, but I may stick with it purely because everyone says it's amazing.

Same.

Sugimoto is a sociopathic bitch.
Nov 7, 2015 11:12 PM

Dec 2013
xchee said:
Sugimoto's delusional thinking she's the one Keiki saved. Chuunibyou set in a mythical world.

Honestly, Chuunibyou is the best way to describe her. As I said in the previous episode discussion, she's little more than a weird ass high school girl looking for an escape. Not a very pleasant character to watch.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Dec 13, 2015 11:48 AM

Feb 2013
The scabbard got left behind. I wonder if she'll get it back.

The lady is a little too nice for comfort...

This episode left a question: How are babies made in this world?
May 5, 2016 12:07 PM

Jul 2015
The animation, art, world, plot are great and interesting but damn the character are annoying !
Dec 19, 2016 10:24 PM
Oct 2014
I really like this so far. First episode was pretty shaky but the last two have been great, it's showing a lot of promise.

Can't agree with the people complaining about the lead character being whiny at all. If anything, she's taking the whole traumatic situation surprisingly well. If I had a weird demonic water thing stuck in my head that could send me on a killing spree against my will, I think I'd be much, much more irritable and upset than she is.

Sugimoto's going off in a weird direction. Seems to me that there's a risk she'll end up being a boring one-dimensional psychopath, but I'll give her a chance to prove me wrong.
Mar 27, 2017 5:11 PM

Jan 2014
Some new characters were introduced in this episode..

Sugimoto ... O_o
Jun 15, 2017 9:16 AM

Oct 2012
So, you're saying in that world you born like amoeba(s)? By splitting them in two?

I mean sometimes, you just have to trust a kind looking lonely woman
She might be really nice
I think Sugimoto is just having trust issues
or maybe... Youko is trusting her too much
Either way it won't end well

Why it's always ended in cliffhanger :(
Rayl1ghtJun 15, 2017 9:32 AM
"Signature removed"
Apr 1, 2018 7:42 PM

Sep 2017
There was some supernatural stuff going on here. The MC is starting to piss me off with her idealism. Also, the other girl student is the only one who is actually likeable. The boy student has no character and seems to be the guy to be stuck in a love triangle. Also, MC gets covered up in slimy stuff. Guess we got our innuendo of the day.

This sucks.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Sep 8, 2018 8:38 AM
Nov 2014
Pacing, animation, music, image composition, characterization, etc. was good. The only minus is that I'm still somewhat confused at some weird names (kingdom names, terms, etc)

I like how they present the three characters. The guy is just a plain guy you can find everywhere. The black-haired girl iis a rebellious teenager happy to be brought there, and is excited about new things (Keiki's servant thingy, killing, stealing, etc). The other girl is a normal high school girl, who gets nervous at the new things (killing, stealing, etc) and eventually breaks down when faced with kindness from a stranger. I like how these three different ways to respond to stressful situations is actually a realistic response.

I also like how they portray the atmosphere, sense, feelings of that situation. They make "isekai" situation legitimately eerie as it should be. The wolves scene tickles your sense of danger. The mysterious characters introductions actually has an air of mystery. The trying to steal scene makes you empathize with them as frail children.

For the last scene, I don't know whether it portrays her thoughts of being left alone in that world or some kind of mystical connection/precognition? I guess it's more likely to be the former.

Overall, this was an enjoyable episode. Really builds up for the story. I think we will need some more introductory episodes before we can get into actual plot and character development.

brightmooseSep 8, 2018 8:45 AM
Sep 24, 2019 8:30 AM

May 2015
Sugimoto is really annoyinh.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 29, 2019 1:51 AM

Jul 2016
nvm. i spoke too soon. b*tch is still gungho as ever and thinks she's special HAHAAA. good one
Dec 16, 2019 11:04 PM

Aug 2018
Huh? Oh boy I want to watch this anime but that Dumb ass Bitch has ruined the whole anime for me, and Mc soo fucking annoying
SaiDxvLightDec 22, 2019 4:39 PM
Jun 28, 2020 11:23 PM

Jul 2016
I don't like Youko so far, I like Yuka better. If it wasn't for her magic sword and other stuff she wouldn't survive easily. At least Yuka has some brain cells.
May 20, 2021 11:18 AM
Feb 2016
Another slight improvement. MC is still annoying, but marginally less so. The story slowly develops and becomes interesting.
Aug 15, 2021 12:06 PM

Nov 2016
You can almost pinpoint how Sugimoto was shaped by the treatment she received from her classmates. She's always on the edge expecting the worst from people. She got a point, tho.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 23, 2022 9:35 AM
Nov 2020
Yuka is so annoying. She’s delusional. Honey Ure not the chosen one and u asked to come here not the other way around.
Aug 8, 2022 6:07 AM

Sep 2018
People are so quick to shit on characters and anime, "characters are sooooo AnNoYIng", they are acting exactly how I would imagine them, if thrown into a unknown, dangerous world lol. Maybe the whole "kill her" scenario was over the top, but she seems to be an unnerved person herself. These complaints are rarely taken seriously and speaks more about their shitty interpretations of characters and stories. Signs of an idiot.

These new world jargon and names are going to be a handful to keep up with.
Jan 12, 10:53 AM

May 2022
This yuka girl seems quite unstable and clearly has trust issues probably due to all the bullying she had to go through. She may become dangerous later. I really liked this third episode and i can tell it's gona be so interesting to discover this world through yuko's eyes. What the hell does this king mean babies aren't born from their mother's womb in this country?
Apr 8, 2:16 AM
Mar 2019
At a bad point in my life, this cheered me up a little. I feel like Yoko.
Apr 8, 8:03 AM
Oct 2019
Zero clue wtf is going on. But may have potential

The two school girls both suck though. Good lord...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Mar 7, 2008

50 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 13, 2:35 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 10 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

25 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 11, 6:41 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Mar 2, 2008

51 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 10, 2:09 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 5 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

36 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 8, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 20 Discussion

Beatnik - Mar 8, 2008

21 by TierraRobada »»
Apr 4, 8:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.