Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2012 8:33 PM

Apr 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
well that went on far longer than was necessary. The plot is fairly ambitious in scope but really doesn't have much meat on its bones, not enough to keep me from browsing online throughout (I'm typing this to kill the last half hour / Obligatory But Inexplicable Battle Of Honour actually). They finally leave Earth and pretty much come straight back, then go again...
There's no tension despite revolution and genocide threatening some excitement, everything happens too conveniently and it seemed like there was a big dramatic moment every 5 minutes. Pretty exhausting!
I suppose this is for young boys but then I'm impressed at the attention span required!

hmm apparently the original US dub cut over 30 minutes; this might be one of the few times a huge hackjob might have benefitted a story.
BlackoutingAug 18, 2012 8:50 PM
Jul 29, 2014 5:56 PM

Dec 2009
I always love how Leiji Matsumoto works honor and manliness into his works. It especially shined here.

It also fills in on the details that were not explained in the original TV series such as Emeralda's scar and Harlock's eyepatch. Would recommend if you like Leiji Matsumoto.
Oct 13, 2014 10:21 AM

Oct 2009
Blackouting said:
everything happens too conveniently

Yeah, that's what I thought as well

Culex said:
It also fills in on the details that were not explained in the original TV series such as Emeralda's scar and Harlock's eyepatch. Would recommend if you like Leiji Matsumoto.

Except it outright contradicts the series, like there were no Illumidus there? But that are details, I guess

Highest peak in Owen Stanley Range, Mount Victoria, is only 4073 meters, not 5030 meters

Why is the plane green at first and then red:
?

I'm surprised by how lenient Illumidus treats defeated Earthlings. Maybe they hope they will work for them?

Prime minister Triter says:
Triter said:
If we cooperate with Illumidus and send a volunteer corps to Tokarga, Earth's safety will be assured forever

And that's after saying
Triter said:
Tokarga has served its purpose, as far as Illumidus is concerned

So why will Earth be any different, after serving its purpose?

Maya broadcasts herself instead of using taped record, then goes into the open, well-illuminated place. And how in the hell did they run from there?
Maya gets shot thrice and still not dies. Talk about tough.

What are Illumidus trying to achieve, destroying planets like that?

How did Arcadia land tight at the place they landed supergravitic bomb? Or maybe there were multiple bombs?

So they fly into the fire streams were they need decent thermal-shielding system, and the flag on the outside is just fine...

Black humour:

Generally, I think it was better than the series. More dramatic, more mature, even if still somewhat naive
Dec 10, 2015 4:51 PM

May 2012
Quite an interesting setting this one, while still staying true to the Captain Harlock atmosphere and all, the various differences were quite interesting to see! The action, tragedy and drama were also well combined so to be honest I quite liked this version even though with that sad ending!

I wasn't a too huge fan of the backstory and all as it seemed weird to me, but at the same time it had some very interesting value for both Harlock and Tochirou!

So all in all a very lovely movie and in general a nice edition to the Harlock Franchise!
Jan 1, 2016 6:44 AM

Nov 2011
DAMN that was long

Was expecting much more, especially when they mentioned Heiligenstadt and made it seem like some kind of Berserk shit. Was also expecting them to take the whole WAGA SEISHUN thing somewhere. But some words were profound and the whole manliness and honour shit was ALL RIGHT. ESPECIALLY FREEDOM.

THIS SPEAKS TO MY ALLIANCE HEART.

This was basically a LOOOOONG backstory to Emeraldas's scar and Harlock's scar. Just wished there was more meat to the story. And more consistency in WHAT THE FUCK PEOPLE WERE SAYING.
Jan 5, 2018 7:29 AM

Dec 2015
A great movie illustrating the values Leiji Matsumoto often defended in his works, the scenarist really took the essence of the author to create this story. The parallels with the WWII are a pleasant way to add to those values. And the idea of a friendship destiny beyond generations is pretty romantic, even when they justify it through sci-fi elements.

The story keeps flowing, never letting you take a break while the movie doens't overflow you in some ruthless tempest of action or events.
The animation was decent for the most part, sparing itself for a few aerial sequences, but the scenery was always good, and most solemn scenes were very good thanks to that, the use of classical music and the shooting (? what is the right word?). Those speeches and solemn scenes were part of the highlight of the movie, who will certainly annoy most young viewers from today seeing this as hard to swallow lessons.

Enjoyment: 4/5
Score: 8/10

People seeing this as a meaning to provide a backstory to known characters or elements must have dismissed the fact that it is not part of any chronology besides its own (this being the prologue of the 83 TV series). The characters might be the same from one story to another, but they don't exactly share a common past.

zetsu_shoren said:
they mentioned Heiligenstadt and made it seem like some kind of Berserk shit.

What? Berserk ? o_O Heiligenstadt is simply the hometown's name. It's also a callback to the idea of "Arcadia". Where can it have something to do with Berserk?

Rei_IIIJul 8, 2019 7:48 AM
Jan 18, 2021 7:41 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I remember seeing this series in my childhood. But damn, this side story truly long as hell. Like someone already mentioned about above, it was too dramatic only to get the backstory of Esmeralda scar and Harlock eyepatch. Maybe its not so related. However, its still their side story, tho. Too bad the earthlings were so fool this time, and the villain commander was just too nice at the end. But oh well. This one still held a nice story of the space pirate, Captain Harlock and his new crews. So, the overall nuances still intacted and the feeling of the duel space battle still good, especially with those manual steering over Arcadia turret. That's nice, for me.

7/10.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Aug 27, 2021 12:10 PM

Feb 2020
Decent movie, the main star of the movie was enemy commander. Though i still prefer new cgi harlock more than this movie. this was not very consistent. I still have to watch original
AdampkAug 27, 2021 1:11 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 27, 2023 8:34 PM

Jun 2014
I just finished watching this for the first time in nearly 25 years, and it still looks great. In fact, seeing it in high definition this time around was quite the treat!

This movie was my introduction to Captain Harlock, and it left an everlasting impact on me. :)

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.