Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 18, 2012 10:33 AM

Nov 2011
Tarextherex said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
Uberchu said:
Solkiskey said:
This again? For fuck's sake, why should it matter if SAO is overrated or not? If you like it, then good for you. If you don't like it, then too bad. It's that simple.

Also, lol mal rankings.

Well, I don't really care about ratings (one of my favorite anime, High School DxD, is rated poorly) but many people DO base what they're going to watch on ratings. So in a way, a higher rating encourages more people to watch.

And the rating is just an example of too much hype. Go to the "Favorite Summer 2012 Anime So Far" thread and almost everyone put down SAO.

i can sort of understand you

ive watched DXD and read the LN, i loved the LN, its very good, one of my favourites but i personally thought the anime was very crap compared to the LN, but it surprised me that the ending was so good and was animated well, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a bit boring with too much ecchi and fanservice which is why people rated it lower, even though the ending was good, it doesn't change the fact that the anime had its bad points

basically what im trying to say is that just because its rated lower or higher doesn't always mean its significantly better, it just means that it appeals to more people and more people enjoy it, so you shouldn't call it overrated when its a fact that many people actually enjoy it

also i don't think you realise that the anime rankings have been balancing out but still remains in the top 100, i think thats proof enough that it isn't overrated because if it was, the majority of people who are now starting watch this would rate it lower and it would drop significantly

also again, i think its unfair to say SAO is overrated when its only reached episode 6, steins gate was mediocre until 12 but it still remained high and considering ive read the LN and i know that the main story starts at 8, i am refraining myself from judging the anime until that episode

lolno

SAO is almost as bad as Guilty Crown

I take that as compliment. Until now, i cannot understand why people hate guilty crown, other than ending, i only found 1 minor plothole so far. A little overrated maybe, but hey, do you like anime based on ranking? many good anime are on 7.xx ranking, but they are good. Also, try to write, not animate all 100 floor stories, the hometown, monster, and so on. I bet you will recycle a lot of idea when we reach floor 90++.
Aug 18, 2012 10:37 AM

Aug 2012
Show is nothing special
Aug 18, 2012 10:46 AM

Jul 2012
Uberchu said:
SAO is ridiculously overrated. Nothing it has done warrants its status. There have been barely any action scenes, the short stories don't have as much impact without prior reading of the light novel and the pacing is horribly off. I doubt the main story is truly that good to make up for this.

I mean, just look at the score. 8.61? Seriously? Kokoro Connect, an anime that (currently) has a better and more engaging plot, barely gets an 8.

Koboro connect? let me just go remember the goods from the back of my mind.
Aug 18, 2012 10:48 AM
Mar 2011
no1 sign of the end of the world is if someone realy truky takes the mal rankings for real
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 18, 2012 10:50 AM

Mar 2012
Fact: Yes it is.
End Zionazism
Aug 18, 2012 11:08 AM

Dec 2007
BlackListHunter said:
After watching episode 1, I was amazed by the potentials it had. I recommended the serie to a few gamebuddies who don't usually watch anime. I was sure this anime would be the next biggest thing. episode 1 + the ranking of the novel made me all hyped over this anime.

believe me, i'm not a hater but episode 2 till 6 was (below) average IMO.
I didn't enjoy ANY episode at all.same goes for most of my friends. But the ranking of the anime is still high ss fuck. So is it because most people who rated it that high did it because they already read the novel and know that it's going to get awesome?, or because you really think this anime is good up until now.

Go visit a discussion thread and then ask me if this anime is overrated. Stuffed with nothing but people complaining.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Aug 18, 2012 11:36 AM

Aug 2012
I don't think episode 2 till 6 deserve the ranking, although I love those parts in the novel, SAO's anime hasn't done a good job.
But I still believe it will be better when it goes to the main story, maybe A-1 Pictures will work hard then.
Nowhere,everywhere.

Aug 18, 2012 12:10 PM

May 2010
after the first episode 2 had abit hope for it.

but episode for episode it annoyed me more and more because all what they did in the anime was a waste of time. like the 2 episode about that group of ppl and that guild master n her husband who killed her. WTF ??? why has that to be in the anime and why 2 episodes? when i were in such a situation i would try my best to clear stage 100 and GTFO.

another overhyped anime which soon will be forgotten.

5/10

.oh and i honestly pity the people who give SAO 9/10 or even 8/10 cause this makes the real 8-9/10 look bad.

i am about drop this. its not worthy anymore.
Aug 18, 2012 12:13 PM
Aug 2009
I'm one of those who read the light novels so I was expecting a lot out of this. But after watching this, all I'm doing is skimming through the scenes since the animation of this is...missing all the best scenes. So from this I would say it is very overrated cause the anime is pretty boring.
And wut...I liked watching the -monogatari series much more than this series since it made me actually want to rewatch.
Aug 18, 2012 1:02 PM

Sep 2010
Neizaru said:
I don't belive there is a clear right or wrong when it comes to rating shows, it's a subjective matter after all. But I think people can't get over their own hype and realize this show is nowhere near as great as they want it to be. Rather than adjusting scores I'd have everyone realize they are deceiving themselves :) Thus it is overrated, since few viewers have accepted the simple truth :)

You don't believe there is a clear right and wrong but everyone that rated this highly is wrong because they are deluded into thinking it's a good show.

Fucking hypocrite.

At site that takes ratings from anyone and averages them together can't produce an overrated show. The resulting averages is the opinion of the community and if the community is delusion about this one product then they are delusional about them all, which evens the field.

Aug 18, 2012 1:42 PM

Sep 2010
Neizaru said:
everyone that rated this highly is wrong because they are deluded

There is no real rule how to score "properly". E.g if someone rates it great because he is enjoying it means he's wrong? He's wrong about enjoying it greatly?
The isssue is individual tastes have been distorted by the massive hype (maybe result of marketing efforts?). Overhyped would be more accurate than overrated, but the point is the same.
Get it know?

The community isn't rating based on hype they are rating based on what was seen. Hype might have been a reason if this conversation took place at the end of last season and there were 0 episodes shown but that's not the case now.

The ratings and averages are MAL are all self-correcting based on what the viewers currently think of the show.

Aug 18, 2012 1:43 PM
Mar 2012
fact is, overrated doesn't even suffice to describe how overrated this show is
Aug 18, 2012 1:54 PM

Mar 2012
Shaduge said:
fact is, overrated doesn't even suffice to describe how overrated this show is

The term overrated is underrated for this show.
End Zionazism
Aug 18, 2012 1:56 PM

Aug 2012
I am enjoying Sword Art Online more than any other anime atm, great animation and story, and yes I am watching several other anime series >_>
Aug 18, 2012 2:02 PM

Aug 2008
I'm not a SAO LN reader, or not yet.

But I don't consider this as a show that doesn't deserve to not be watched. I'm pretty sure that this anime would not be as popular as it is if the LN never existed. But if I consider SAO as an anime original, I would still watch it and I find that it's doing a pretty good job. It would still be the series that I would put it in my priority to watch weekly.

But it's true that I find it a bit overrated for the first 7 episodes, but at the same time, you can't really make a fuss of it since it hasn't ended, maybe the second half will be very good?
Aug 18, 2012 2:11 PM
Oct 2008
I'd like to say that this discussion is so silly and it leads to nothing. I currently would give 8 to SAO, but I rate shows after I watch them, so let's see.

We people have our opinion and somebody said here that Bakemonogatari is the best, which i though it was utter shit... Boring and lame.
Aug 18, 2012 2:39 PM

Dec 2009
Considering episodes up until episode 7, this anime is really overrated.

I actually still enjoy it but after episode 2, episodes started to be useless.
Aug 18, 2012 2:45 PM

Jul 2012
Lol another "the show's numbers aren't at a place where I want them to be" kind of thread.

I sometimes wonder how 50 shades of grey is the best selling novel ever, but on the other hand, I don't give a damn about it. You should learn to let it go too.
Aug 18, 2012 4:43 PM

Mar 2012
plushkin said:
Lol another "the show's numbers aren't at a place where I want them to be" kind of thread.

I sometimes wonder how 50 shades of grey is the best selling novel ever, but on the other hand, I don't give a damn about it. You should learn to let it go too.

Nah I want the anime that's recommended most to me to be good, that's why we need stuff like these out of the picture :P
End Zionazism
Aug 18, 2012 4:46 PM

Mar 2010
as long as you enjoy the anime, it doesn't matter what rating it gets.. though I guess some rating can help you decide to watch something or not, but good feed back must mean its good no?

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Aug 18, 2012 4:47 PM

Apr 2012
At the moment...hell yes.
It was ranked #44 before it even fucking aired.
BloodRequiemAug 18, 2012 4:50 PM
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Aug 18, 2012 4:55 PM

Jul 2011
BloodRequiem said:

not true at all, the ranking had only reached around 70 on the first episode then increased to 32 where it started to decrease to the 40s and now 50s
Aug 18, 2012 5:09 PM

Sep 2010
Mikasa said:
plushkin said:

Nah I want the anime that's recommended most to me to be good, that's why we need stuff like these out of the picture :P

Then you're going to have to stop people that like(where is appears on the ratings page has nothing to do with it) this anime from making recommendations for it.

Aug 18, 2012 5:13 PM

Apr 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
BloodRequiem said:

not true at all, the ranking had only reached around 70 on the first episode then increased to 32 where it started to decrease to the 40s and now 50s

Still proves my point.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Aug 18, 2012 5:15 PM

Mar 2012
Anime_Name said:
Mikasa said:
plushkin said:

Then you're going to have to stop people that like(where is appears on the ratings page has nothing to do with it) this anime from making recommendations for it.

Indeed
End Zionazism
Aug 18, 2012 5:22 PM

Sep 2010
BloodRequiem said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
BloodRequiem said:

Still proves my point.

It proves your point wrong.

Aug 18, 2012 6:21 PM

Mar 2012
Yeah it's probably overrated cause the side stories were quite boring but is it bad? NOpe. It's ok, art animation and everything is nice. However there are plenty of better shows
Aug 18, 2012 6:22 PM

Jan 2008
Andyis said:
Yeah it's probably overrated cause the side stories were quite boring but is it bad? NOpe. It's ok, art animation and everything is nice. However there are plenty of better shows

Do you understand what overrated means? Why would it be overrated because the side stories are bad and boring?
Aug 18, 2012 6:26 PM

Dec 2010
Isn't everything technically overrated?
Aug 18, 2012 7:21 PM

Apr 2012
Anime_Name said:
BloodRequiem said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
BloodRequiem said:

Still proves my point.

My point is that SAO is overrated because it was ranked very high before it aired, not that it's ranking was exactly #44.
Aug 18, 2012 7:36 PM

Jul 2011
BloodRequiem said:
Anime_Name said:
BloodRequiem said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
BloodRequiem said:

Still proves my point.

My point is that SAO is overrated because it was ranked very high before it aired, not that it's ranking was exactly #44.

and im saying your wrong, it only started to get to a high rank rank after episode 1, it never had a high rank before it aired
Aug 18, 2012 7:41 PM

Aug 2012
So far the pacing has been subpar, but what can you expect with them squishing 2 volumes into the first season? IMO, the side stories should've been released as an OVA, so that the producers could properly take the time to get through the SAO arc in detail. I'm still watching it just for the fact that it is sure to get better, but for the time being I'm content with the filler.
Aug 18, 2012 7:41 PM

Apr 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
BloodRequiem said:
Anime_Name said:
BloodRequiem said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
BloodRequiem said:

Still proves my point.

and im saying your wrong, it only started to get to a high rank rank after episode 1, it never had a high rank before it aired

I can show you some screenshots but I don't have a photobucket account.
Aug 18, 2012 7:52 PM

Aug 2012
There is so much stuff to cover in the light novel that it becomes unrealistic to cover it all up. I would prefer if they could slow it down a bit through
http://s13.zetaboards.com/The_Nintendo_Forum/index/
Come check out the new Nintendo Forum. The first 10 members to join AND keep a good activity level ( at least 50 posts) will get a founding member status on the Forum. Great for showing off to new members!
Aug 18, 2012 7:53 PM

May 2011
epicscreator said:
Isn't everything technically overrated?
Pretty much. I think overrated is pretty overrated.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Aug 18, 2012 8:04 PM

Jul 2011
BloodRequiem said:

then your point is invalid until you do
Aug 18, 2012 8:12 PM

Nov 2011
I dunno about overrated, but this is easily one of the most disappointing anime I have ever watched. Granted, it's not done yet, but I have yet to see an episode as engaging or interesting as episode 1. Since then, it's been cheap melodrama, harem hijinks, and emo-ness.
Aug 18, 2012 8:14 PM

Apr 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
BloodRequiem said:

It is overrated but you seem to have the idea that overrated automatically means shit.
BloodRequiemAug 18, 2012 8:19 PM
Aug 18, 2012 10:57 PM

Jul 2011
BloodRequiem said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
BloodRequiem said:

It is overrated but you seem to have the idea that overrated automatically means shit.

dafuq, it says currently airing, so how could it be two weeks before the first ep when it aired already? can you tell me how it was overrated before it even aired? and give a pic where its rated high when it hasn't aired
Aug 18, 2012 11:13 PM

Jun 2012
Anime_Name said:
Neizaru said:
I don't belive there is a clear right or wrong when it comes to rating shows, it's a subjective matter after all. But I think people can't get over their own hype and realize this show is nowhere near as great as they want it to be. Rather than adjusting scores I'd have everyone realize they are deceiving themselves :) Thus it is overrated, since few viewers have accepted the simple truth :)

You don't believe there is a clear right and wrong but everyone that rated this highly is wrong because they are deluded into thinking it's a good show.

Fucking hypocrite.

At site that takes ratings from anyone and averages them together can't produce an overrated show. The resulting averages is the opinion of the community and if the community is delusion about this one product then they are delusional about them all, which evens the field.

I suppose 50 Shades of Grey and Twilight are quality books because lots of people bought them right? In the end, ratings are meaningless, but they do help in encouraging others to watch an anime. Also, you're missing the point of why we're using the rating. It's just an example of the hype. Other people and I can bring other examples if needed.

And why so harsh? Is it possible that, gasp, people have a different opinion?
Aug 18, 2012 11:32 PM

Mar 2008
As someone who hasn't read the books and is watching an anime about an online MMO where people die when they die in game, I'm thoroughly enjoying this. It has action, adventure, drama, romance, etc. Everything I need in an anime to enjoy it.

If you're going to slam it for pacing and shit based on the novels, you shouldn't because this isn't the novel. This is the anime adaptation of the novel. It is NOT going to be word for word, arc for arc exactly as the novel was.
Aug 18, 2012 11:41 PM

Apr 2011
Hell yeah x1,000,000
full of cliches and useless side story bullshit!!!

LET THE JOURNEY BEGIN PO-KE-MON!!!!
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Aug 18, 2012 11:42 PM

Nov 2010
Uberchu said:
Anime_Name said:
Neizaru said:

Fucking hypocrite.

I suppose 50 Shades of Grey and Twilight are quality books because lots of people bought them right? In the end, ratings are meaningless, but they do help in encouraging others to watch an anime. Also, you're missing the point of why we're using the rating. It's just an example of the hype. Other people and I can bring other examples if needed.

You just said that ratings are meaningless, but they encourage others to watch an anime, isn't that a meaning. The ratings are there to show you an idea about how good the anime is based on how everyone else rates the anime. I think it might be the rating systems fault, like 7 or 8 is my average score for an anime, but really 5 on the scale is supposed to be average. I agree with Anime_Name, it isn't overrated because it takes everyone's score even the people who hate the score that it's given and rate it a 1 and averages it. All shows have people who like it or hate it for different reasons, thus all shows are equal. Almost all shows have an original source that some people rate the anime early because.
Aug 18, 2012 11:51 PM

May 2011
Kinda overrated but hoping that the main story will make up for it.

Hoping for the best for this season is already a disappointment I don't want this series to bomb too.
A Humble Pawn of the Hakuou Gakuin Seitokaichou, Hinagiku Katsura!
Aug 18, 2012 11:52 PM

Jun 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Uberchu said:
Anime_Name said:
Neizaru said:

Fucking hypocrite.

You just said that ratings are meaningless, but they encourage others to watch an anime, isn't that a meaning. The ratings are there to show you an idea about how good the anime is based on how everyone else rates the anime. I think it might be the rating systems fault, like 7 or 8 is my average score for an anime, but really 5 on the scale is supposed to be average. I agree with Anime_Name, it isn't overrated because it takes everyone's score even the people who hate the score that it's given and rate it a 1 and averages it. All shows have people who like it or hate it for different reasons, thus all shows are equal. Almost all shows have an original source that some people rate the anime early because.

Let me specify. Ratings are meaningless for judging the QUALITY of the work. However, a lot of people don't subscribe to that point of view. And my example still stands, because if 50 Shades of Grey and Twilight weren't quality series, how did they sell?
Aug 18, 2012 11:56 PM

Nov 2010
Uberchu said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Uberchu said:
Anime_Name said:
Neizaru said:

Fucking hypocrite.

Let me specify. Ratings are meaningless for judging the QUALITY of the work. However, a lot of people don't subscribe to that point of view. And my example still stands, because if 50 Shades of Grey and Twilight weren't quality series, how did they sell?

That's what reviews are for, and there are reviews for it already, on the front page a 9 and a 4, two extremely different sides, one that loves the anime and one that doesn't. Maybe they are good books, enough to captivate millions of people into reading them and loving them, then no matter how bad the writing may be, then it is considered a good book to them.
Aug 19, 2012 12:05 AM

Oct 2011
25 episodes to cover 2 novels and some side stories and still terrible pacing. However, if they put ALO in it, I guess I could understand why it's so rushed. Either way, anime is overrated but I love it.
Aug 19, 2012 12:58 AM
Jan 2012
Uberchu said:
Karpman said:
Why would people call this overrated? Since its got this high score, it is obviously not "overrated" and is just a good show according to its viewers, and to people immediately brining up Kokoro Conert, it is all about opinions, apparently enough people have a different opinion about both shows to rant about them (mainly SAO though.) And Kokoro Concert not being as popular as SAO? Well in my opinion SAO's synopsis sounded more interesting than Concert's so I am watching SAO instead of Concert.

God, people can just not appreciate it when a show gets a high rating.

Did you know that, by the consensus of MAL, SAO is a better anime than Higurashi and Bakemonogatari? And I can't take you seriously after you wrote "connect" as "concert."
Uberchu said:
Karpman said:
Why would people call this overrated? Since its got this high score, it is obviously not "overrated" and is just a good show according to its viewers, and to people immediately brining up Kokoro Conert, it is all about opinions, apparently enough people have a different opinion about both shows to rant about them (mainly SAO though.) And Kokoro Concert not being as popular as SAO? Well in my opinion SAO's synopsis sounded more interesting than Concert's so I am watching SAO instead of Concert.

God, people can just not appreciate it when a show gets a high rating.

Did you know that, by the consensus of MAL, SAO is a better anime than Higurashi and Bakemonogatari? And I can't take you seriously after you wrote "connect" as "concert."

i dont count myself as one of those people, but bakemonogatari has its fair number of detractors (nothing happens, it's all confusing dialogue) as well as higurashi (gory is not their cup of tea)......so i wouldnt dismiss the current rating of SAO just because you dont think it measures up to the "holy grail" animes of bakemono and higurashi

i find it more troubling that members give it a rating and review before 2 episodes are done instead of evaluating it as a standalone piece. however, as someone who is new to SAO, while i do think that the pace has been lackluster so far, i find the story premise of SAO to be incredibly engaging and the characters thus far to be somewhat likable, so i dont think it's terribly overrated
Aug 19, 2012 1:03 AM
Jan 2012
Tarextherex said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
Uberchu said:
Solkiskey said:
This again? For fuck's sake, why should it matter if SAO is overrated or not? If you like it, then good for you. If you don't like it, then too bad. It's that simple.

Also, lol mal rankings.

Well, I don't really care about ratings (one of my favorite anime, High School DxD, is rated poorly) but many people DO base what they're going to watch on ratings. So in a way, a higher rating encourages more people to watch.

And the rating is just an example of too much hype. Go to the "Favorite Summer 2012 Anime So Far" thread and almost everyone put down SAO.

i can sort of understand you

ive watched DXD and read the LN, i loved the LN, its very good, one of my favourites but i personally thought the anime was very crap compared to the LN, but it surprised me that the ending was so good and was animated well, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a bit boring with too much ecchi and fanservice which is why people rated it lower, even though the ending was good, it doesn't change the fact that the anime had its bad points

basically what im trying to say is that just because its rated lower or higher doesn't always mean its significantly better, it just means that it appeals to more people and more people enjoy it, so you shouldn't call it overrated when its a fact that many people actually enjoy it

also i don't think you realise that the anime rankings have been balancing out but still remains in the top 100, i think thats proof enough that it isn't overrated because if it was, the majority of people who are now starting watch this would rate it lower and it would drop significantly

also again, i think its unfair to say SAO is overrated when its only reached episode 6, steins gate was mediocre until 12 but it still remained high and considering ive read the LN and i know that the main story starts at 8, i am refraining myself from judging the anime until that episode

lolno

SAO is almost as bad as Guilty Crown

as bad as guilty crown? no no no...... nothing was as horrible as that trainwreck piece.....
Aug 19, 2012 1:08 AM

Nov 2009
Well everyone has different opinion I think.

Personally, I will say it's too early to give SAO a score of 8.6 only after 7episode, and yes it is overrated up to the current episode.

I enjoy the show so far, as a novel reader I think they did a good(not great) job to adapt the novel into an anime show. It is watchable and entertaining. But I would prefer a few more episode before decide to give the show a solid score.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

70 by Zimmu »»
Apr 21, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1445 by abahterunh »»
Apr 20, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

949 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 7:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.