Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
 
Aug 23, 2012 12:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
BloodRequiem said:

Trusting MAL ratings...ever...

Sup,
Guess I should stop.
 
Aug 23, 2012 12:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 220
Its not overrated until I see nothing but Kirito and Asuna cosplayers at even the smallest cons here in Florida and when I start hearing all the main stream fans talk about it as much as they do Naruto or Bleach.



 
Aug 23, 2012 1:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 335
ThaBlackPrince said:
Well i guess you can say its Overrated , as for the anime that is. Personally , the LN is 10x better so ppl are probably basing there rating off the LN. and for those who aren't are givin bad reviews?

ill really judge the story when it goes back to the main story which will be in the next episode. but idk y they would squish 4 volumes into 25 episodes? thats pushing it i think.


High School DxD LN > Sword Art Online LN

Come at me bro. :)
 
Aug 23, 2012 1:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 2254
It's overrated until the moment something other than Kirito adding to his harem occurs... which, supposedly, is next episode. EP7 was the worst of the lot up to yet; the fall-in-love-in-5-mins confession and crying at the end being as cringe-worthy as it gets. I'm waiting for these people to start acting like they're in a life-or-death VR struggle, rather than just questing in a MMORPG. (I get the impression the wait will be a long one...)

I know the blame must rest heavily on the animation studio for going with six straight harem-addition sidestories in order to go in chronological order, but no matter how badly the studio presented it, the writing has come across in a very childish manner, leaving me with little hope for the remainder of the series. A writer who goes to great lengths to create situations for moeified heroines to be white knighted in a battle for survival can't be all that worthy of respect!

SAO is the GC of this season. All it lacks is the kickarse music and troll-comedy value GC offered.
 
Aug 23, 2012 2:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 2517
You guys take ratings too seriously. Sheesh :v
 
Aug 23, 2012 2:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 335
ThaBlackPrince said:
Uberchu said:
ThaBlackPrince said:
Well i guess you can say its Overrated , as for the anime that is. Personally , the LN is 10x better so ppl are probably basing there rating off the LN. and for those who aren't are givin bad reviews?

ill really judge the story when it goes back to the main story which will be in the next episode. but idk y they would squish 4 volumes into 25 episodes? thats pushing it i think.


High School DxD LN > Sword Art Online LN

Come at me bro. :)


ayy i havent read the light novel? i seen the anime it wasnt that good. u have a source where i can read it ?


Baka-tsuki. Same place where you read SAO.

Messieur_Drake said:
You guys take ratings too seriously. Sheesh :v


They're like power levels. On another note, can Shiki kill Servants?
 
Aug 23, 2012 2:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 23
hmm is it overrated

I don't think you can say that after only 7 episodes,
but I must say I have lost a little bit of interest for the series now.
The TV show starts really interesting but now, I am a bit lost but o well will see what it becomes.
 
Aug 23, 2012 2:47 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 192
Uberchu said:
ThaBlackPrince said:
Uberchu said:
ThaBlackPrince said:
Well i guess you can say its Overrated , as for the anime that is. Personally , the LN is 10x better so ppl are probably basing there rating off the LN. and for those who aren't are givin bad reviews?

ill really judge the story when it goes back to the main story which will be in the next episode. but idk y they would squish 4 volumes into 25 episodes? thats pushing it i think.


High School DxD LN > Sword Art Online LN

Come at me bro. :)


ayy i havent read the light novel? i seen the anime it wasnt that good. u have a source where i can read it ?


Baka-tsuki. Same place where you read SAO.


wow i neva search for other LNs on the website. they got sum interesting ones thanks.
 
Aug 23, 2012 3:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
Tsuntenshi said:
Its not overrated until I see nothing but Kirito and Asuna cosplayers at even the smallest cons here in Florida and when I start hearing all the main stream fans talk about it as much as they do Naruto or Bleach.

Every anime would be overrated if that were to happen, but I get what you mean.
 
Aug 23, 2012 3:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 6077
Guys, the "yes it's overrated" side already won. No need to discuss further

 
Aug 23, 2012 5:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 153
AironicallyHuman said:
It's overrated until the moment something other than Kirito adding to his harem occurs... which, supposedly, is next episode. EP7 was the worst of the lot up to yet; the fall-in-love-in-5-mins confession and crying at the end being as cringe-worthy as it gets. I'm waiting for these people to start acting like they're in a life-or-death VR struggle, rather than just questing in a MMORPG. (I get the impression the wait will be a long one...)

I know the blame must rest heavily on the animation studio for going with six straight harem-addition sidestories in order to go in chronological order, but no matter how badly the studio presented it, the writing has come across in a very childish manner, leaving me with little hope for the remainder of the series. A writer who goes to great lengths to create situations for moeified heroines to be white knighted in a battle for survival can't be all that worthy of respect!

SAO is the GC of this season. All it lacks is the kickarse music and troll-comedy value GC offered.


well at least the MC hasn't been a wimp for 17/22 ep
OHMA SHOE
 
Aug 23, 2012 5:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 121
This is the only message i have to all the people starting arguments for amusement here.

 
Aug 23, 2012 9:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1513
Burn2sai said:
This is the only message i have to all the people starting arguments for amusement here.



how can people shit in SAO?
 
Aug 23, 2012 9:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 74
worst show this decade.
 
Aug 23, 2012 9:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 335
BunnyKing said:
worst show this decade.


No that belongs to Shakugan no Shana.
 
Aug 23, 2012 9:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 902
Burn2sai said:
This is the only message i have to all the people starting arguments for amusement here.



This meme is hilarious.
 
Aug 23, 2012 9:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 74
no it doesnt, sorry your wrong.
 
Aug 23, 2012 10:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 40
Uberchu said:
Karpman said:
Why would people call this overrated? Since its got this high score, it is obviously not "overrated" and is just a good show according to its viewers, and to people immediately brining up Kokoro Conert, it is all about opinions, apparently enough people have a different opinion about both shows to rant about them (mainly SAO though.) And Kokoro Concert not being as popular as SAO? Well in my opinion SAO's synopsis sounded more interesting than Concert's so I am watching SAO instead of Concert.

God, people can just not appreciate it when a show gets a high rating.


Did you know that, by the consensus of MAL, SAO is a better anime than Higurashi and Bakemonogatari? And I can't take you seriously after you wrote "connect" as "concert."


Oh hey, let's completely dismiss somebody's opinion because they spelled a word wrong /s.

I don't see why you're being so overly defensive. He's just giving his own opinion about anime. Anime ratings aren't objective; there are always both people who like and dislike different anime.

Acting as if Higurashi and Bakemonogatari being better than SAO was fact set in stone doesn't make it so. Personally, I don't think Higurashi, Bakemonogatari, or Kokoro Connect were all that good. SAO's got its own share of problems as well, but hey, that's just my opinion

We wouldn't need ratings, forums, nor compatibility rates if all opinions were homogeneous. It'd just turn into a giant circle jerk.
 
Aug 23, 2012 10:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 335
Tonylikespie said:
Oh hey, let's completely dismiss somebody's opinion because they spelled a word wrong /s.

I don't see why you're being so overly defensive. He's just giving his own opinion about anime. Anime ratings aren't objective; there are always both people who like and dislike different anime.

Acting as if Higurashi and Bakemonogatari being better than SAO was fact set in stone doesn't make it so. Personally, I don't think Higurashi, Bakemonogatari, or Kokoro Connect were all that good. SAO's got its own share of problems as well, but hey, that's just my opinion

We wouldn't need ratings, forums, nor compatibility rates if all opinions were homogeneous. It'd just turn into a giant circle jerk.


Did you read the thread? I already explained that MAL ratings are bullshit, but the main point of bringing up ratings was to show how overrated it was. It was just an example.
 
Aug 23, 2012 10:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 1630
you need to be careful when stating that you hate the show, because there are and will be fanboys stand up to defend against your hatred.

I've read the novel, I enjoy the show, but it is overrated and doesn't deserve 8.6 on MAL.

Judging solely on the anime itself, from the first episode to the current episode, the lack of details, in-depth char development, slide show action scene leave a bad taste for most of the experienced anime viewer. There are different opinion came from the light novel reader who watch the anime as well. Those who accepted its flaw, and those who didn't.

Like comparing to angel beats!, It's good only when you first started to watching anime, common viewers. But when they seriously become an anime fan, with hundreds of series, their view will be defined again by the mature of thoughts and the experiences they've been through.
Modified by Takana_no_Hana, Aug 23, 2012 10:29 PM
 
Aug 23, 2012 10:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 74
IMO SAO IS THE WORST ANIME EVER.
 
Aug 23, 2012 10:38 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 192
BunnyKing said:
IMO SAO IS THE WORST ANIME EVER.


aightt dont get too outta ya hand. sure it isn't the greatest but surely isn't the worst.

I suggest you go watch Boku To Pico :) if u havent ull surely like it lmao.
 
Aug 23, 2012 10:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 335
Vforvendetta said:
Like comparing to angel beats!, It's good only when you first started to watching anime, common viewers. But when they seriously become an anime fan, with hundreds of series, their view will be defined again by the mature of thoughts and the experiences they've been through.


Yeah, I have to agree here. After watching anime for a while, everything feels old. I feel like there's nothing good to watch. Which is strange, because I really haven't watched that much.
 
Aug 23, 2012 10:44 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 138
BunnyKing said:
no it doesnt, sorry your wrong.


No he was probably right the first season was terrible the movie wasn't bad though.
 
Aug 23, 2012 10:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
iCards said:
BunnyKing said:
no it doesnt, sorry your wrong.


No he was probably right the first season was terrible the movie wasn't bad though.


No, and you have only watched the first season.
 
Aug 23, 2012 10:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 40
Uberchu said:
Tonylikespie said:
Oh hey, let's completely dismiss somebody's opinion because they spelled a word wrong /s.

I don't see why you're being so overly defensive. He's just giving his own opinion about anime. Anime ratings aren't objective; there are always both people who like and dislike different anime.

Acting as if Higurashi and Bakemonogatari being better than SAO was fact set in stone doesn't make it so. Personally, I don't think Higurashi, Bakemonogatari, or Kokoro Connect were all that good. SAO's got its own share of problems as well, but hey, that's just my opinion

We wouldn't need ratings, forums, nor compatibility rates if all opinions were homogeneous. It'd just turn into a giant circle jerk.


Did you read the thread? I already explained that MAL ratings are bullshit, but the main point of bringing up ratings was to show how overrated it was. It was just an example.


Overrated according to whom? To you? Sure. To me? Maybe. To anybody else that dislikes it? Fine. But it seems that the majority of people are enjoying it hence the high ratings. Sure, several people are watching through fanboy goggles on and that contributes to the rating, but hey, you can't really stop that.
Modified by Tonylikespie, Aug 23, 2012 10:58 PM
 
Aug 23, 2012 10:58 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 143
Uberchu said:
Vforvendetta said:
Like comparing to angel beats!, It's good only when you first started to watching anime, common viewers. But when they seriously become an anime fan, with hundreds of series, their view will be defined again by the mature of thoughts and the experiences they've been through.


Yeah, I have to agree here. After watching anime for a while, everything feels old. I feel like there's nothing good to watch. Which is strange, because I really haven't watched that much.


I watch every anime with an open mind.. I don't compare anime to anime, because if I did.. nothing would be the classic anime's from then 1990's.. everything has turned to crap. So I sit down, watch things with an open mind and rate everything individually.
*Note* dont look at my ratings/anime's I've completed etc. I actually stopped rating after adding a few of my favorite animes. It got too tedious. I also didn't list every anime I have seen, nor have I listed every anime I dropped. I stated that in my profile. I've seen more than 200 anime's and completed that many series. ~12-50 episodes each series. and I have dropped well over 100 anime's.

But yeah.. things get old and such, just start watching anime's with an open mind.. currently I'm watching SAO as if it were my very first anime I have ever watched and I can tell you the idea and potential is there, but I also think I'm going to give it a shot further than episode 7 and complete the series, as a lot of people dropped it at episode 2. or 3. and the manga goes from episode 1,7 then has time lapses which fill the 2,3,4,5,6 gaps, which they incorporated into the anime. So I think I'm going to finish the anime.
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 335
Tonylikespie said:
Overrated according to whom? To you? Sure. To me? Maybe. To anybody else that dislikes it? Fine. But it seems that the majority of people are enjoying it hence the high ratings. Sure, several people are watching it with fanboy goggles on and that contributes to the rating, but hey, you can't really stop that.


iirc earlier in this thread people posted a screenshot showing that people rated it around 8.80 around after the first episode. Most series are lucky to get an 8.00. For example, Tari Tari, imo one of the best this season, only has 7.61.

And yes, I know MAL ratings suck. It's just an example (what else do you expect me to use?).
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 74
excuseeeeee me! i know im right so please dont correct me
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 902
BunnyKing said:
excuseeeeee me! i know im right so please dont correct me


If anyone hasn't realized this guy is trolling...
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 74
jokes :)
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
Tonylikespie said:

Overrated according to whom? To you? Sure. To me? Maybe. To anybody else that dislikes it? Fine. But it seems that the majority of people are enjoying it hence the high ratings. Sure, several people are watching through fanboy goggles on and that contributes to the rating, but hey, you can't really stop that.



Exactly, 9,863 people voted it above an 8, and I don't think all of those have read the novel. and this thread I don't know about how many people have viewed it, but about half of the posts have been by the same people and everybody who comes in here says the same exact thing of they liked the first episode and the second until now has been crap and they think it sucks. Nobody who loves the series even comes in here and states their opinion.
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 74
i think sword art online has gotton significantly better these days
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
Uberchu said:
Tonylikespie said:
Overrated according to whom? To you? Sure. To me? Maybe. To anybody else that dislikes it? Fine. But it seems that the majority of people are enjoying it hence the high ratings. Sure, several people are watching it with fanboy goggles on and that contributes to the rating, but hey, you can't really stop that.


iirc earlier in this thread people posted a screenshot showing that people rated it around 8.80 around after the first episode. Most series are lucky to get an 8.00. For example, Tari Tari, imo one of the best this season, only has 7.61.

And yes, I know MAL ratings suck. It's just an example (what else do you expect me to use?).


And there you are putting your opinions into your argument that you say that you use facts for, why compare it to tari tari, just because you think its good.
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 74
i just think that kirito isnt that cool or whatever, i dont like him. its also annoying that all the girls fall in love with him
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 61
I read the novel it is fantastic as far as I'm concerned so far. i was realy bummed out about how they did the anime. it technically goes over the side stories in Volume 2 which is my least favorite out of the novels. i still watch it in hopes they will do something good w/ it but it doesn't look like thats going to happen. But im the type of person who picks apart anything if it doesnt follow close to the book/manga/mahwa.
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 40
Uberchu said:
Tonylikespie said:
Overrated according to whom? To you? Sure. To me? Maybe. To anybody else that dislikes it? Fine. But it seems that the majority of people are enjoying it hence the high ratings. Sure, several people are watching it with fanboy goggles on and that contributes to the rating, but hey, you can't really stop that.


iirc earlier in this thread people posted a screenshot showing that people rated it around 8.80 around after the first episode. Most series are lucky to get an 8.00. For example, Tari Tari, imo one of the best this season, only has 7.61.

And yes, I know MAL ratings suck. It's just an example (what else do you expect me to use?).


And since then, it has dropped considerably to an 8.6, but the majority still seem to be enjoying it.

Again, it's all subjective. Personally, I didn't get past the first episode of Tari Tari.
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 74
maybe they thought lets get all the side stories out of the way so we can do an amazing arc with no boring stops?
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 902
BunnyKing said:
i just think that kirito isnt that cool or whatever, i dont like him. its also annoying that all the girls fall in love with him


Well, at least he doesn't have a girl who grows up with him, practically lives with him, and falls for him for absolutely zero reason...



Jokes aside, at least it's obvious from the OP that he only ends up with one girl? It doesn't turn into a harem situation where the guy never decides on who to be with.
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 335
IntroverTurtle said:
And there you are putting your opinions into your argument that you say that you use facts for, why compare it to tari tari, just because you think its good.


Oh my God, right in my post I said "in my opinion." I could bring up a dozen other anime I think were better than SAO and rated poorly on the first episode but I picked Tari Tari. Deal with it.

tezann_t said:
Jokes aside, at least it's obvious from the OP that he only ends up with one girl? It doesn't turn into a harem situation where the guy never decides on who to be with.


OH, for all you know Kirito gets NTR'd. >:D
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 1630
tezann_t said:

Jokes aside, at least it's obvious from the OP that he only ends up with one girl? It doesn't turn into a harem situation where the guy never decides on who to be with.


Cause this show is still a shounen fantasy romance show ... when in that situation, the mc always get(or decide to stay with) at least one girl.
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:28 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 143
IntroverTurtle said:
Tonylikespie said:

Overrated according to whom? To you? Sure. To me? Maybe. To anybody else that dislikes it? Fine. But it seems that the majority of people are enjoying it hence the high ratings. Sure, several people are watching through fanboy goggles on and that contributes to the rating, but hey, you can't really stop that.



Exactly, 9,863 people voted it above an 8, and I don't think all of those have read the novel. and this thread I don't know about how many people have viewed it, but about half of the posts have been by the same people and everybody who comes in here says the same exact thing of they liked the first episode and the second until now has been crap and they think it sucks. Nobody who loves the series even comes in here and states their opinion.



Give it time, once the series is over.. more members will flow in.. watch it, and downrate it. Currently we have a large fan base.. no one changes the rating.. so they watch 1 episode, vote 9/10 or 10/10 and then log out and never come online. Some people aren't even active in anime, or they just use this website for the signature. Some people come here and rate, and leave. It all depends..

I rated it an 8, shoot me if you want. It's a crappy anime, but I am comparing that to other animes I have watched. The moment I rate.. is when I stop comparing. Because that's not how it should be.. we shouldn't have standards like.. Cowboy bebop is 9/10 so that means.. every anime compared to that.. gets a lower score because Cowboy bebop was amazing... in some peoples' eyes.
For example, my brother dropped cowboy bebop because he didn't like the art style (He likes the newer looking anime's that are more clear and detailed) he also said he couldn't follow the storyline well. But he watches One Piece religiously. I for one, HATE one piece.. but I loved Cowboy bebop. So if he rated something compared to one Piece it'd probably be a lower score.. but if he rated someone compared to Cowboy bebop.. it'd probably have a higher score. That's why I stopped rating based on other anime's. That's why when I see people say "Omg it got 8/10 but another anime I loved only gets a 7.5/10 wtf. Unfair rating MAL, it's too overhyped."
That's like me going to One Piece (which I hate) and saying "OMG OVERRATED GARBAGE. *RAGES* IT GOT AN 8/10 WHILE MY FAVORITE ANIME GOT A 7/10 WTF."
Sorry but that's what this thread mainly looks like and it's an embarassment to the people who actually rate anime's based on the anime and not what they've previously watched, because that's called being biased. Being biased = do not rate, do not make polls, in fact biased opinions are invalid opinions.

In all honesty, people starting anime right now.. without a clue about what's out there.. I would actually tell them to watch SAO, because it's actually DECENT. It has potential.. it's a story, it has animation and really.. you should be voting as if you were unbiased and you were to recommend/review it to a newcomer to anime. Seriously, anyone who's seen 100's of animes + will easily shut down most new animes because they get bored with it too easily.
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
Uberchu said:
IntroverTurtle said:
And there you are putting your opinions into your argument that you say that you use facts for, why compare it to tari tari, just because you think its good.


Oh my God, right in my post I said "in my opinion." I could bring up a dozen other anime I think were better than SAO and rated poorly on the first episode but I picked Tari Tari. Deal with it.


Yeah but you compare it to facts saying that that you don't believe SAO should get that much when tari tari doesnt. Trying to make the facts seem stronger by using your opinion of an anime that is better, that's what I don't like, you could have used an anime close to it's genre, or other anime that were adapted from a LN.
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 335
IntroverTurtle said:
Yeah but you compare it to facts saying that that you don't believe SAO should get that much when tari tari doesnt. Trying to make the facts seem stronger by using your opinion of an anime that is better, that's what I don't like, you could have used an anime close to it's genre, or other anime that were adapted from a LN.


Fine. What was Fate/Zero's rating after the first episode? And what's wrong with saying SAO is overrated? I backed it up earlier in the thread by saying it had poor pacing, mediocre plot, and a bland protagonist. This is as much a valid opinion as yours.

In fact, I think YOU'RE the one making it seem like ratings matter at all. Everyone else just uses it as an example because we have nothing better to use.
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 40
Zanzie said:
Give it time, once the series is over.. more members will flow in.. watch it, and downrate it. Currently we have a large fan base.. no one changes the rating.. so they watch 1 episode, vote 9/10 or 10/10 and then log out and never come online. Some people aren't even active in anime, or they just use this website for the signature. Some people come here and rate, and leave. It all depends..

I rated it an 8, shoot me if you want. It's a crappy anime, but I am comparing that to other animes I have watched. The moment I rate.. is when I stop comparing. Because that's not how it should be.. we shouldn't have standards like.. Cowboy bebop is 9/10 so that means.. every anime compared to that.. gets a lower score because Cowboy bebop was amazing... in some peoples' eyes.
For example, my brother dropped cowboy bebop because he didn't like the art style (He likes the newer looking anime's that are more clear and detailed) he also said he couldn't follow the storyline well. But he watches One Piece religiously. I for one, HATE one piece.. but I loved Cowboy bebop. So if he rated something compared to one Piece it'd probably be a lower score.. but if he rated someone compared to Cowboy bebop.. it'd probably have a higher score. That's why I stopped rating based on other anime's. That's why when I see people say "Omg it got 8/10 but another anime I loved only gets a 7.5/10 wtf. Unfair rating MAL, it's too overhyped."
That's like me going to One Piece (which I hate) and saying "OMG OVERRATED GARBAGE. *RAGES* IT GOT AN 8/10 WHILE MY FAVORITE ANIME GOT A 7/10 WTF."
Sorry but that's what this thread mainly looks like and it's an embarassment to the people who actually rate anime's based on the anime and not what they've previously watched, because that's called being biased. Being biased = do not rate, do not make polls, in fact biased opinions are invalid opinions.

In all honesty, people starting anime right now.. without a clue about what's out there.. I would actually tell them to watch SAO, because it's actually DECENT. It has potential.. it's a story, it has animation and really.. you should be voting as if you were unbiased and you were to recommend/review it to a newcomer to anime. Seriously, anyone who's seen 100's of animes + will easily shut down most new animes because they get bored with it too easily.


I don't really understand why people think the 8 is a bad rating. It's pretty high if you ask me.

I agree that it's wiser to wait until the series is finished and more votes pour in, but we can't say for sure that it will drop significantly.

Also, I'd hardly call it bias to compare one anime to another. Bias would be reading the light novel and saying that the anime will be the best. Honestly, I don't know how you can rate an anime without comparing to other anime you've watched; everything is relative. Sure, there's no need to compare based on the ratings of other users, but comparing the differences in ratings between anime you've watched helps to set standards.
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
Uberchu said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Yeah but you compare it to facts saying that that you don't believe SAO should get that much when tari tari doesnt. Trying to make the facts seem stronger by using your opinion of an anime that is better, that's what I don't like, you could have used an anime close to it's genre, or other anime that were adapted from a LN.


Fine. What was Fate/Zero's rating after the first episode? And what's wrong with saying SAO is overrated? I backed it up earlier in the thread by saying it had poor pacing, mediocre plot, and a bland protagonist. This is as much a valid opinion as yours.

In fact, I think YOU'RE the one making it seem like ratings matter at all. Everyone else just uses it as an example because we have nothing better to use.


I dont know what the rating was and I don't care that's your responsibility if you want to prove that it's overrated. And because your only evidence is ratings that you say don't even matter, it has only been 7 episodes, and once again your opinion.

I don't care about ratings, I was using the number of people who think the anime deserves it's score and how none of those people come in here so we don't have their opinon. And that everyone uses the ratings because there isn't anything better to use doesn't make it right.
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
Zanzie said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Tonylikespie said:

Overrated according to whom? To you? Sure. To me? Maybe. To anybody else that dislikes it? Fine. But it seems that the majority of people are enjoying it hence the high ratings. Sure, several people are watching through fanboy goggles on and that contributes to the rating, but hey, you can't really stop that.



Exactly, 9,863 people voted it above an 8, and I don't think all of those have read the novel. and this thread I don't know about how many people have viewed it, but about half of the posts have been by the same people and everybody who comes in here says the same exact thing of they liked the first episode and the second until now has been crap and they think it sucks. Nobody who loves the series even comes in here and states their opinion.



Give it time, once the series is over.. more members will flow in.. watch it, and downrate it. Currently we have a large fan base.. no one changes the rating.. so they watch 1 episode, vote 9/10 or 10/10 and then log out and never come online. Some people aren't even active in anime, or they just use this website for the signature. Some people come here and rate, and leave. It all depends..

I rated it an 8, shoot me if you want. It's a crappy anime, but I am comparing that to other animes I have watched. The moment I rate.. is when I stop comparing. Because that's not how it should be.. we shouldn't have standards like.. Cowboy bebop is 9/10 so that means.. every anime compared to that.. gets a lower score because Cowboy bebop was amazing... in some peoples' eyes.
For example, my brother dropped cowboy bebop because he didn't like the art style (He likes the newer looking anime's that are more clear and detailed) he also said he couldn't follow the storyline well. But he watches One Piece religiously. I for one, HATE one piece.. but I loved Cowboy bebop. So if he rated something compared to one Piece it'd probably be a lower score.. but if he rated someone compared to Cowboy bebop.. it'd probably have a higher score. That's why I stopped rating based on other anime's. That's why when I see people say "Omg it got 8/10 but another anime I loved only gets a 7.5/10 wtf. Unfair rating MAL, it's too overhyped."
That's like me going to One Piece (which I hate) and saying "OMG OVERRATED GARBAGE. *RAGES* IT GOT AN 8/10 WHILE MY FAVORITE ANIME GOT A 7/10 WTF."
Sorry but that's what this thread mainly looks like and it's an embarassment to the people who actually rate anime's based on the anime and not what they've previously watched, because that's called being biased. Being biased = do not rate, do not make polls, in fact biased opinions are invalid opinions.

In all honesty, people starting anime right now.. without a clue about what's out there.. I would actually tell them to watch SAO, because it's actually DECENT. It has potential.. it's a story, it has animation and really.. you should be voting as if you were unbiased and you were to recommend/review it to a newcomer to anime. Seriously, anyone who's seen 100's of animes + will easily shut down most new animes because they get bored with it too easily.



I know that, and I'm not comparing it to other anime I have watched either. I rated it an 8 at the beginning and there has been nothing that has made me want to change my score yet. All I'm saying is this thread is completely overrun with people who don't like it, and I would like it if people who do actually think it deserves a 9 or a 10 come in and discuss. Because this thread goes in circles of "I don't like it it's overrated" then" well that's your opinion wait until it finishes", and nobody listens to each other.
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 1630
Zanzie said:


yeah i kinda agree, like guilty crown for started, it was above 8.0 (like the last time i checked when watching it halfway, it was 8.3 or sth), then the show progressed and the rating slowly decreased.

but I'm not agree with this statement:
Zanzie said:

I rated it an 8, shoot me if you want. It's a crappy anime, but I am comparing that to other animes I have watched. The moment I rate.. is when I stop comparing .


You just basically can't, because you've already made a standard yourself by comparing those you watched. Rating a new show would likely be affected by the standard you created yourself from older shows, and the opposite, older show will be affected - if only newer shows are better and you set yourself a new standard.

From my experiences, the first time I saw angel beats, I gave it a 10. Then afterward, I watched Kanon, with more depth in character development and story was far better than angel beats, i dropped ab! rate from 10->9, and gave a rate of 9 for Kanon. But oh, it wasn't done yet, by the time I finished Clannad, I decided to drop both kanon and angel beat! rate from 9->8, give clannad AS a solid score of 10.

If you have changed your scores of an anime show in your list only 1 time, or making adjustment, then you're likely affected by the standard you created yourself.
Modified by Takana_no_Hana, Aug 24, 2012 12:02 AM
 
Aug 23, 2012 11:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 335
IntroverTurtle said:
I dont know what the rating was and I don't care that's your responsibility if you want to prove that it's overrated. And because your only evidence is ratings that you say don't even matter, it has only been 7 episodes, and once again your opinion.


The fact that it has only been 7 episodes and so many people rate it so high is all the proof I need to show that it's overrated. Add in all its flaws (that NO ONE has bothered to defend) just makes it even easier.

Also, now that I think about it, why can't I use Tari Tari as an example? Who cares about the genre? It's all about the quality of the storytelling, and in my opinion it's far better. So it's a perfectly valid example of how SAO is overrated.

IntroverTurtle said:
I don't care about ratings, I was using the number of people who think the anime deserves it's score and how none of those people come in here so we don't have their opinon. And that everyone uses the ratings because there isn't anything better to use doesn't make it right.


Just because a large amount of people rated it a high score doesn't mean it's not overrated. I could say Neon Genesis Evangelion is overrated even though it has a high number of people praising it.

And finally, the very definition of overrated means that there are more people rating it highly than it should. You denying it by bringing up the amount of people rating it highly is, frankly, not going to work.

*EDIT* I just checked the stats page of SAO. More people gave it a 10 than any other rating. Can you seriously say, with a straight face, that SAO has done anything to warrant this?
Modified by Uberchu, Aug 24, 2012 12:03 AM
 
Aug 24, 2012 12:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 74
its funny isnt, people give it 10/10, make it there favourite anime and reccommend it when the show isnt even finished and FAR from even reaching the Word 'GOOD'.

thus this thread was created so all the haters could agree and say that people doing this dumbass thing musnt of watched a single good anime in this lifetime.
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »