Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 17, 2012 11:45 AM

Apr 2007
After watching episode 1, I was amazed by the potentials it had. I recommended the serie to a few gamebuddies who don't usually watch anime. I was sure this anime would be the next biggest thing. episode 1 + the ranking of the novel made me all hyped over this anime.

believe me, i'm not a hater but episode 2 till 6 was (below) average IMO.
I didn't enjoy ANY episode at all.same goes for most of my friends. But the ranking of the anime is still high ss fuck. So is it because most people who rated it that high did it because they already read the novel and know that it's going to get awesome?, or because you really think this anime is good up until now.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 17, 2012 12:12 PM

May 2010
I haven't read the novel or the manga, and was surprised at the ratings it was getting on MAL.

I mean, come on, there where only 6 episodes out and it already had over 1,000 favorites. O_O
That's amazing! >:D

So I stopped being lazy with it (was already planning on watching it at some point) and started watching it. I liked it. alot. I dunno if I would give it a 10/10, but so far, it's quite enjoyable to me.
The art is really good, the story is intresting, The action is pretty epic, and the main characters are likeable.

So far I would probably give it a 9/10, but there will be 25 episodes, so we will just have to wait and see if this will win or fail.

=]
MermaidGalaxiesAug 22, 2012 6:36 PM
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Aug 17, 2012 12:20 PM

Jul 2007
Personally, I think it has been on a downward trajectory since the first episode. Each new episode being worst than the last. I hope it turns around, because I really enjoyed it in the beginning. Haven't read the LN's and whatnot, but it seems to me like they are adding in stupid anime cliches whenever they get a chance.
Aug 17, 2012 12:40 PM

Sep 2010
IchigoHollowfi said:

I mean, come on, there where only 6 episodes out and it already had over 1,000 favorites. O_O

And? It doesn't take 100 episodes for someone to decide that a show is their favorite. Also some of those 1000s of people could have done what you can't and read the other SAO material.

There's nothing overrated about it. The show's rating is based on the number of people that have seen it and it just so happens that more people rated it highly than lowly. This is just a case someone in the minority being upset that the math isn't in their favor.

Aug 17, 2012 12:46 PM

Jun 2012
wow really sao is overrated?
gee didn't realize
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 17, 2012 1:16 PM

Jun 2007
Sword Ass online nuff said.
Aug 17, 2012 1:26 PM

Apr 2007
Anime_Name said:

There's nothing overrated about it. The show's rating is based on the number of people that have seen it and it just so happens that more people rated it highly than lowly. This is just a case someone in the minority being upset that the math isn't in their favor.

Yea, and justin bieber is the best artist because he got the most fans.

Get your face off the asses of the characters, and read the OP again instead of bashing my opinion/question.
Aug 17, 2012 1:52 PM

May 2011
Shibuza said:
Sword Ass online nuff said.

I dropped Hype Ass Online ages ago but this made me want to pick it up again.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Aug 17, 2012 1:53 PM

Jul 2011
This is mainly because the anime is doing the story in a different way to the Light Novel, ill try not to be spoilerish

the Light Novel did a huge timeskip (1.5 years) and thats where the main story took place, they then did side stories of what happened in that time such as "red nose reindeer" (the black cats), "the blackswordsman" (silica) and "a murder case in the area" (laughing coffin) which filled in the gaps and the main story made more sense

the anime is doing this in chronological order, so the all the episodes so far are sidestories with the exception of episode 1, so the arcs seem very short and bad (well to me), the anime is still in its introductory stage where its introducing all the characters, key points and main aspects of SAO and from someone who has read the LN, they are doing a pretty good job.

the only problem is that because they rushed for time and need to cover 4 volumes in order for the anime to work, they needed to cut out content and rush episodes such as episode 2 and 3

The reason why the LN was so successful was because they did it in lon-linear order which added to the mystery and got people wondering "what the hell happened?, how did kirito meet asuna? why does kirito refuse to join guilds? how are the Pkers dealt with?"

the sidestories basically answer those questions, however it won't work in the anime as they lack the detailed description advantage that the LN has, if they attempted to do the Non-linear order, they would end up confusing the viewers and the first cour will end with a sidestory which wouldn't be as good as the ending of the main story, so they chose to do it in chronological order which is like answering the question before its asked, it was the only way it would work and can still turn out good but it would mean that the first part of the anime would be slightly boring

The main story begins at episode 8 this where the timeskips will stop and the main story starts and it would make sense as to why the sidestories were introduced first and you would also know why the SAO story is so popular

as to why its rated so highly, i haven't got a clue myself, if i must be honest, i don't like the anime much but thats only because ive read the LN and i understand how it fails in comparison, i would actually enjoy it more

also i think its unfair to say that its rated so highly because of the LN readers considering its the majority of LN readers who are complaining

also i don't why people are complaining about the overuse of fanservice when the only episode i considered fanserviceish was episode 4, calling SAO a fanservice anime is an insult to actual fanservice anime

There, a complete explanation by me, its long but im sure it will answer all your questions, if you have anymore feel free to ask
Aug 17, 2012 2:25 PM
Mar 2012
overrated isn't enough
Aug 17, 2012 2:36 PM

Jun 2012
SAO is ridiculously overrated. Nothing it has done warrants its status. There have been barely any action scenes, the short stories don't have as much impact without prior reading of the light novel and the pacing is horribly off. I doubt the main story is truly that good to make up for this.

I mean, just look at the score. 8.61? Seriously? Kokoro Connect, an anime that (currently) has a better and more engaging plot, barely gets an 8.
Aug 17, 2012 2:38 PM

Jan 2012
The first and maybe second episodes were great. I was really expecting big things but im at the stage now where i am not even looking forward to the next episode.
Aug 17, 2012 2:47 PM

Mar 2012
Overrated based on this site's stats? Than most likely.

But I think it deserves some credit, I haven't read the novels but the anime is challenging with a strong main character in a world most gamers can relate to (certainly not the situation they're in).

There's a feeling of Battle Royale hidden in the series, which is quite cliche, but it's manageable because the situation calls for it, even though it's not rational.

I have to say, I enjoyed the 6 episodes so far and I like where it's going. I wouldn't go so far as to rate it an 8.6, but it's up there at the moment since it's popular and it's new.
Aug 17, 2012 2:57 PM

Sep 2010
Uberchu said:
I mean, just look at the score. 8.61? Seriously? Kokoro Connect, an anime that (currently) has a better and more engaging plot, barely gets an 8.

You ever consider that an anime's rating is only dependent on it's own qualities and not a comparison to any other anime? Considering that a significant number of people(~20k) that rated SAO haven't even seen Kokoro Connect bring up Koroko's rating is kind of pointless.

Aug 17, 2012 4:37 PM

Jun 2012
Anime_Name said:
Uberchu said:

You ever consider that an anime's rating is only dependent on it's own qualities and not a comparison to any other anime? Considering that a significant number of people(~20k) that rated SAO haven't even seen Kokoro Connect bring up Koroko's rating is kind of pointless.

No, I'm just annoyed people rate an anime before they finish. Reason? They never update, leaving overhyped shows on top. In fact, if it's LN readers who are rating it so highly, then it's even more stupid because we have no idea how the anime will adapt it.
Aug 17, 2012 5:13 PM

Apr 2011
It's overrated. The (main) story hasn't even started yet, all we have is some side stories that should've been specials or whatever to the main story - very much like how the LN does it, but that's my opinion.

Does it deserve 8.61? No, not yet, because we haven't seen shit, and judging that we've got awkward phasing, characters that we don't care shit about because of the phasing, it's really mediocre till now. Of the few episodes that I've seen I have said to myself "dfuks going on" every time a new episodes start, it's all "In medias res" and chaotic tbh.

I've put the series on hold and will watch it when the main story begins, then I'll judge it's score. The score it has now doesn't mean anything at all.
Aug 17, 2012 5:14 PM

Jul 2012
You're only 6 weeks late.
Aug 17, 2012 5:26 PM

Jul 2012
Yes, it's overrated - I guess a bit different from other overrated animes.

That's only because I've seen many people call SAO a "masterpiece" or "best anime ever" or "the only good one this summer". It's overrated like that yet it's not too bad itself. I personally enjoy it a lot but it definitely isn't the best Anime this summer (Kokoro and others beat it for me) or the best I've ever seen.
MayukaAug 17, 2012 5:30 PM
Aug 17, 2012 5:35 PM
Mar 2012
Why would people call this overrated? Since its got this high score, it is obviously not "overrated" and is just a good show according to its viewers, and to people immediately brining up Kokoro Conert, it is all about opinions, apparently enough people have a different opinion about both shows to rant about them (mainly SAO though.) And Kokoro Concert not being as popular as SAO? Well in my opinion SAO's synopsis sounded more interesting than Concert's so I am watching SAO instead of Concert.

God, people can just not appreciate it when a show gets a high rating.
Aug 17, 2012 5:54 PM

Jun 2012
Karpman said:
Why would people call this overrated? Since its got this high score, it is obviously not "overrated" and is just a good show according to its viewers, and to people immediately brining up Kokoro Conert, it is all about opinions, apparently enough people have a different opinion about both shows to rant about them (mainly SAO though.) And Kokoro Concert not being as popular as SAO? Well in my opinion SAO's synopsis sounded more interesting than Concert's so I am watching SAO instead of Concert.

Did you know that, by the consensus of MAL, SAO is a better anime than Higurashi and Bakemonogatari? And I can't take you seriously after you wrote "connect" as "concert."
Aug 17, 2012 6:40 PM

Nov 2010
Well this happens every season with anime being highly rated at the beginning because of high expectations from the source material. Right now I wouldn't think that I would give it the score that it has, but from what everybody up there says, The main story hasn't started yet for good reasons. There are some things that they usually never change from the source material, and if people have watched a couple of episodes and saw how they are handling different parts, then I could see why people would rate it higher than you would hope it would be.
Uberchu said:

No, I'm just annoyed people rate an anime before they finish. Reason? They never update, leaving overhyped shows on top. In fact, if it's LN readers who are rating it so highly, then it's even more stupid because we have no idea how the anime will adapt it.

I thought that almost everybody when they finish an anime think about the score again( I do it even when I rewatch a series), or if there was anything major that changed their opinion during the series they would change it at that time. I personally rated it an 8 because I like the setting, but if at the end I love it then I would raise the score up and vice versa.

It will probably adjust itself, a little bit after the anime has ended, but don't expect it to change a lot.

Uberchu said:

Did you know that, by the consensus of MAL, SAO is a better anime than Higurashi and Bakemonogatari? And I can't take you seriously after you wrote "connect" as "concert."

Being on this site doesn't mean that you have to agree with the majority opinion. And forcing your opinions on someone is not a good way to get someone to agree with you.
Aug 17, 2012 6:56 PM

Sep 2010
Uberchu said:
Anime_Name said:
Uberchu said:

Annoyed? Clearly a rating for a show that only has 6 episodes out is the users opinion on those 6 episodes. No one needs to what for a complete season before deciding on a score to give a show.

How can you tell that they never update? They most certainly have to update their list if they want their rating to count after it anime ends. You'd have to follow someone else's list pretty close to know that their score for a new show has not changed from start to finish. Of course there isn't any reason why their score should have to change since the decision to keep the score the same is just as valid as increasing or decreasing a score.

Aug 17, 2012 7:00 PM
Mar 2012
Uberchu said:

For whatever reason, my mind just doesn't want to acknowledge this show is called "Kokoro Connect" I misread it once, but I keep forgetting I did.

But if people are enjoying this show more than said shows, it doesn't mean it is better, it means these people are enjoying it more.

That or I am completely wrong, and SAO fanboys/fangirls are less realistic than others and automatically rate this show a 10, which it doesn't deserve in my opinion.
Aug 17, 2012 7:00 PM

Jun 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Uberchu said:

I thought that almost everybody when they finish an anime think about the score again( I do it even when I rewatch a series), or if there was anything major that changed their opinion during the series they would change it at that time. I personally rated it an 8 because I like the setting, but if at the end I love it then I would raise the score up and vice versa.

It will probably adjust itself, a little bit after the anime has ended, but don't expect it to change a lot.

What I meant by "not updating" was "not updating every episode." If you just update only at the beginning and at the end, well, until the series is over, a very overhyped show can remain at the top even if it's bad. It gives a false impression. For example, what if I rated Guilty Crown a 9 just because of the staff without even watching it, but I forget about the rating later?

IntroverTurtle said:
quote=Uberchu]

Being on this site doesn't mean that you have to agree with the majority opinion. And forcing your opinions on someone is not a good way to get someone to agree with you.

Oh I'm not forcing my opinion, sorry if it came off like that. I was just using his own logic against him since he came off as someone who thinks ratings are 100% genuine.

Just so you know, I don't hate SAO, I just don't like too much hype. I'm perfectly open to the idea of it getting better as time goes on, considering how Steins;Gate took 12 episodes to get going.
Aug 17, 2012 7:14 PM

Sep 2010

What I meant by "not updating" was "not updating every episode." If you just update only at the beginning and at the end, well, until the series is over, a very overhyped show can remain at the top even if it's bad. It gives a false impression. For example, what if I rated Guilty Crown a 9 just because of the staff without even watching it, but I forget about the rating later?

That is a worst case scenario in that you assume a viewer will decrease their rating of a show as the show goes on.

Use the "show all members" link on the stats page. It shows every viewers progress with the show. You'd have to track every single users progress and score to know if your worst case scenario is causing any meaningful "false impressions" but so far I'm seeing more people at 6/25 and current than not.

Aug 17, 2012 7:34 PM

Jun 2012
Anime_Name said:

That is a worst case scenario in that you assume a viewer will decrease their rating of a show as the show goes on.

Use the "show all members" link on the stats page. It shows every viewers progress with the show. You'd have to track every single users progress and score to know if your worst case scenario is causing any meaningful "false impressions" but so far I'm seeing more people at 6/25 and current than not.

Well, they'd also have to change their ratings at the same time too, and I don't know how to track that. Also, "not updating a show everyday" works both ways considering how some shows start off bad but get better as time goes on.

Main reason I don't rate shows I'm watching is that it's a pain in the ass.
Aug 17, 2012 7:36 PM

Nov 2010
Uberchu said:

A show only remains airing for 6 months( and I kinda think that everybody should give a show a chance), and that's the reason why there are reviews that some people update every episode. And changing it every episode doesn't sound that it would change that much, it usually takes a big change for someone to want to change their score. And then hopefully everybody isn't as forgetful as you are. Tens of thousands of people usually watch an airing at a time, it is impossible to monitor everyone and their scores. And that's the same thing with shows that have already ended and may be at maybe a score lower than they should be, it's only math, it isn't perfect and it doesnt take human personality into account.

Uberchu said:

Oh I'm not forcing my opinion, sorry if it came off like that. I was just using his own logic against him since he came off as someone who thinks ratings are 100% genuine.

Just so you know, I don't hate SAO, I just don't like too much hype. I'm perfectly open to the idea of it getting better as time goes on, considering how Steins;Gate took 12 episodes to get going.

Well that's the thing, there is going to be hype on every show. Then why haven't you waited until the show is halfway through, or over. You said Steins Gate took 12 episodes to get going, well the guy on the first page explained that this part of the show is not the best, that it's small stories because you need the information to understand the main story, and that it starts on the main story on 8. So get mad at the rating when the anime is over and all of the story has been told.
IntroverTurtleAug 17, 2012 9:03 PM
Aug 17, 2012 8:22 PM

Jul 2012
Karpman said:

No, it's about popularity. The SAO light novel was already popular in Japan so of course the fanboys of the novel saw the first episode and gave it high ratings. Other people were amazed by the well-done first episode and gave it high ratings. For an anime to hit an 8.60+ mark after one episode and stay in that mark after only six have aired IS overrating it. A majority of the fanbase is rating it high assuming that the adaption will be just as good as the novels which they loved, which is why it's being overrated. Plus we have some of those MMOPRG or whatever it's called fans that have higher chances of loving it as well.

For an anime that's only been covering side-stories, has had no consistent plot over the past 5 episodes, has had no proper character introductions, and has been paced far too fast for anyone who hasn't read the novels to really grasp or even care what's going on, there's really no other reason for it to be so overrated other then "the light novel was great, this will be, too!" There's hardly any action as well. Oh, and Kokoro *Connect is being brought up because over it's course it's been able to handle a somewhat fast paced plot splendidly, has significant character growth going on and some very well executed drama in it. Yet, it's been passed off as a silly comedy due to the old misleading synopsis and at the same time is rated so much lower then SAO which has done little to nothing except be a highly successful light novel to earn it's place. I'm not saying Kokoro deserves an 8.60 mean score as of now, but it's perfectly understandable as to why fans of Kokoro are upset of how high SAO is rated compared to a show that's actually been doing a decent job with it's intentional goal.
Aug 17, 2012 8:31 PM

Sep 2010
For an anime to hit an 8.60+ mark after one episode and stay in that mark after only six have aired IS overrating it.

No, that's called being rared highly and completely ignores that people are 6 episodes in and still think it's a good show from what they have seen. Since this site uses the averages of all that have seen a show then what ever rating a show gets is automatically a balanced representation of the viewers opinions.
Overrated =/= highly rated.

Aug 17, 2012 8:34 PM

Mar 2012
When you say something's overrated, you're always comparing your own opinion to the opinion at large. That's not to say you're automatically wrong, but it does mean that you should be careful not to simply assert it and treat it as fact. Just because it compares favorably ratings-wise to another series you like doesn't mean it's necessarily better. None of us are bound to what other MAL members think.

I admit that I think the anime has failed to live up to the expectations of LN readers or even perhaps people who have no prior background knowledge, but as someone who appreciates the LN very much, I think you should start judging after episode 8. Right now it seems scattered for a good reason.
Aug 17, 2012 9:17 PM

Apr 2010
This again? For fuck's sake, why should it matter if SAO is overrated or not? If you like it, then good for you. If you don't like it, then too bad. It's that simple.

Also, lol mal rankings.
Aug 17, 2012 9:25 PM

Jun 2012
Solkiskey said:
This again? For fuck's sake, why should it matter if SAO is overrated or not? If you like it, then good for you. If you don't like it, then too bad. It's that simple.

Also, lol mal rankings.

Well, I don't really care about ratings (one of my favorite anime, High School DxD, is rated poorly) but many people DO base what they're going to watch on ratings. So in a way, a higher rating encourages more people to watch.

And the rating is just an example of too much hype. Go to the "Favorite Summer 2012 Anime So Far" thread and almost everyone put down SAO.
Aug 17, 2012 9:26 PM

Nov 2010
noyoureinsane said:
A majority of the fanbase is rating it high assuming that the adaption will be just as good as the novels which they loved, which is why it's being overrated. Plus we have some of those MMOPRG or whatever it's called fans that have higher chances of loving it as well.

Then there are also people like me that rate an anime based on the feeling you get off the first couple episodes and then leave it until the end, to change it if your opinion changed. The scores are just opinions, most people don't base it off lets say actual facts, it's just about how good you think the show is. Everybody has an anime or multiple that you really like but there were things lacking, that if you gave it a score based objectively it would rate lower than you rated it. And if MMORPG fans like it because of the setting, that is a perfectly logical thing. Everybody has settings that they like and don't like. Everybody brings in their personal preferences in while watching an anime.

If there is an anime that is all about rock climbing and I'm lets say a rock climbing fanatic. Even if the anime is a little crappy it could still become my favorite just for the reason of it's about rock climbing, Which isn't wrong.

This site is MyAnimelist not Everybody's anime list.
Aug 17, 2012 9:51 PM

Oct 2011
Well,it's not overrated to me because I don't care what others think of the series.
If the score people give it is high or higher than mine,then fine.That's their shared opinion.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Aug 17, 2012 9:55 PM

Apr 2010
Uberchu said:
Solkiskey said:

Also, lol mal rankings.

Well, I don't really care about ratings (one of my favorite anime, High School DxD, is rated poorly) but many people DO base what they're going to watch on ratings. So in a way, a higher rating encourages more people to watch.

And the rating is just an example of too much hype. Go to the "Favorite Summer 2012 Anime So Far" thread and almost everyone put down SAO.

But I seriously don't give a crap if people watch a series or not. It's just annoying to see "Is this overrated?" threads all the time when it seriously doesn't matter.
Aug 17, 2012 10:05 PM

Jun 2012
Solkiskey said:
Uberchu said:
Solkiskey said:

Also, lol mal rankings.

But I seriously don't give a crap if people watch a series or not. It's just annoying to see "Is this overrated?" threads all the time when it seriously doesn't matter.

Nothing we do on the Internet matters. All this discussion is pointless. So why do we do it? Because we can. And why are you getting so worked up over this?
Aug 17, 2012 10:30 PM

Apr 2010
Uberchu said:
Solkiskey said:
Uberchu said:
Solkiskey said:

Also, lol mal rankings.

Nothing we do on the Internet matters. All this discussion is pointless. So why do we do it? Because we can. And why are you getting so worked up over this?

That's a shitty reason, no offense.

And this is just my way of typing and expressing myself, I'm not getting worked up over this.

Still, it's annoying to see this subject resurface all the time. One thread is enough, god.
Aug 17, 2012 10:33 PM

Jun 2012
Solkiskey said:
Uberchu said:
Solkiskey said:
Uberchu said:
Solkiskey said:

Also, lol mal rankings.

That's a shitty reason, no offense.

And this is just my way of typing and expressing myself, I'm not getting worked up over this.

Still, it's annoying to see this subject resurface all the time. One thread is enough, god.

I was under the impression that this was the only thread. And that's a shitty reason to express yourself, Internet tough guy. And finally, the fact is that all discussion in this forum is pointless. Deal with it and chill out.
Aug 17, 2012 11:02 PM

Jul 2011
Uberchu said:
Solkiskey said:

Also, lol mal rankings.

i can sort of understand you

ive watched DXD and read the LN, i loved the LN, its very good, one of my favourites but i personally thought the anime was very crap compared to the LN, but it surprised me that the ending was so good and was animated well, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a bit boring with too much ecchi and fanservice which is why people rated it lower, even though the ending was good, it doesn't change the fact that the anime had its bad points

basically what im trying to say is that just because its rated lower or higher doesn't always mean its significantly better, it just means that it appeals to more people and more people enjoy it, so you shouldn't call it overrated when its a fact that many people actually enjoy it

also i don't think you realise that the anime rankings have been balancing out but still remains in the top 100, i think thats proof enough that it isn't overrated because if it was, the majority of people who are now starting watch this would rate it lower and it would drop significantly

also again, i think its unfair to say SAO is overrated when its only reached episode 6, steins gate was mediocre until 12 but it still remained high and considering ive read the LN and i know that the main story starts at 8, i am refraining myself from judging the anime until that episode
Aug 18, 2012 12:06 AM

Apr 2010
kamikaze_1996 said:
Uberchu said:
Solkiskey said:

Also, lol mal rankings.

basically what im trying to say is that just because its rated lower or higher doesn't always mean its significantly better, it just means that it appeals to more people and more people enjoy it, so you shouldn't call it overrated when its a fact that many people actually enjoy it

That's kind of true, but most anime go up in rankings on MAL because of hype. You can't say SAO wasn't hyped a lot.

Then again, they're MAL rankings. It doesn't reflect anything.
Aug 18, 2012 1:31 AM

Sep 2010
Solkiskey said:

That's kind of true, but most anime go up in rankings on MAL because of hype. You can't say SAO wasn't hyped a lot.

Then again, they're MAL rankings. It doesn't reflect anything.

Anime go up in rankings because of ratings. Saying it's because of anything is would be just speculation and assumption.

Aug 18, 2012 1:40 AM

Sep 2010
Neizaru said:
Other than the high quality graphics, it's pretty average so far. Fairly entertaining, but these scores are way too high. Overrated much, yes.

Then you better to to making a shit ton of alt accounts if so many who rated the show are wrong.

Aug 18, 2012 2:17 AM

Oct 2011
entertaining in a low-brow action movie sort of way, so i think it may be slightly over-rated, but then each person sees things differently....it is a fun show to watch, but definitely not a classic for the ages..........
Aug 18, 2012 2:34 AM
Dec 2011
I think IMDB ratings are more accurate. Although not always. mal ratings are always too high to know if it's good or not. they are all 8 or 9.

at least this show is not a porn.
Aug 18, 2012 7:20 AM
Apr 2012
People that haven't read the novel have no idea what they in for.

Hard to decide if SAO anime is overated or not, because the anime is still in state of introduction of characters and the main story has hardly progressed. However the LN is really good will have to see how they will do with further adaption of the LN and the LN has like 9 volumes (still ongoing I think). The LN is very enjoyable definitely not overated.
Aug 18, 2012 7:22 AM

Sep 2011
Of fucking course it is.
Aug 18, 2012 8:18 AM

May 2012
You know there are a lot of people who have read the LN and have rated the anime low? Just because they love the LN doesn't mean the anime gets a high rating. They rushed and squished the hell out of the side stories and made a lot of people angry, more so than is sensible but yeah.

Also don't be mad because it has kept its high rating, wait till the end and see if people change it. I do agree that people should keep the LN and anime separate though. Judge it as how it is in the anime not the content of the LN.
Aug 18, 2012 8:23 AM
Jul 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
Uberchu said:
Solkiskey said:

Also, lol mal rankings.

i can sort of understand you

ive watched DXD and read the LN, i loved the LN, its very good, one of my favourites but i personally thought the anime was very crap compared to the LN, but it surprised me that the ending was so good and was animated well, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a bit boring with too much ecchi and fanservice which is why people rated it lower, even though the ending was good, it doesn't change the fact that the anime had its bad points

also i don't think you realise that the anime rankings have been balancing out but still remains in the top 100, i think thats proof enough that it isn't overrated because if it was, the majority of people who are now starting watch this would rate it lower and it would drop significantly

also again, i think its unfair to say SAO is overrated when its only reached episode 6, steins gate was mediocre until 12 but it still remained high and considering ive read the LN and i know that the main story starts at 8, i am refraining myself from judging the anime until that episode

lolno

SAO is almost as bad as Guilty Crown
Aug 18, 2012 8:32 AM

May 2010
overhyped and overdiscussed but i don't know about overrated.
Aug 18, 2012 8:40 AM

Jul 2011
subpar show is subpar
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

59 by SaveStyle »»
Yesterday, 10:18 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

67 by TwigzLIVE »»
Yesterday, 2:54 PM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

163 by SignsOfSuicide »»
Apr 14, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2012

734 by Lionwing »»
Apr 7, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

948 by Reshiram_IX »»
Apr 2, 4:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.