Forum Settings
Forums
Aug 16, 2012 8:27 PM

Basically, some person is running late or something and runs out the door with bread in their mouth, and then turns a corner and crashes into somebody.

Is this some sort of fetish in Japan? I've seen this situation in quite a few anime now, and it usually has some sort of romantic meaning behind it. Usually it happens in some sort of comedy/romance/harem anime, often in series I would least expect it. Sometimes it even happens more than once.

I tried looking it up, but Google took it too literally and gave me many results for real Japanese bread stores.

It happens too often for me to pass it off as a coincidence, so now I'm curious as to where it came from. Anybody have any info on this?
Modified by Laraso, Aug 16, 2012 8:35 PM
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.

Aug 16, 2012 8:29 PM

Laraso said:
often in series I would least expect it.

Really? You wouldn't expect it to happen in low-grade silly comedies? I would.

Aug 16, 2012 8:30 PM

FauxAzn said:
Really? You wouldn't expect it to happen in low-grade silly comedies? I would.

Well, I've only seen the situation in anime, so regardless of the genre it's not something I expect to see.

Aug 16, 2012 8:30 PM

It's just another one of those anime clichés.

Aug 16, 2012 8:34 PM
#1 Chihaya Fan

Aug 16, 2012 8:35 PM

Laraso said:
Basically, some person is running late or something and runs out the door with bread in their mouth, and then turns a corner and crashes into somebody.

Is this some sort of fetish in Japan?

definitely my fetish
i want to do that someday
brb moving to japan, turning into a 15 year old middle school chick and going late to school to the point i need to run every day
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 16, 2012 8:37 PM

Late for school
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LateForSchool

It's a basic way to establish some of the traits and habits of a character and can become a running gag for a character who is always running late.

Bumping into someone usually only happens when the story is introducing a new character or potential romance interest. That happens in the first couple episodes but "late for school" cliche is generally a separate occurrence.

It's a cliché from old shoujo manga that is basically only done as a parody at this point.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです

Probably a random idea that caught on and became overused.

Aug 16, 2012 8:39 PM

mitch3315 said:

That one made me laugh... It took this situation to the extreme.

That link was exactly what I needed, thanks.
Modified by Laraso, Aug 16, 2012 8:43 PM

Aug 16, 2012 8:45 PM
It's pretty much just an overused trope to show the main character is just like the audience, someone who is lazy and often late to school and eats toast and is really awkward.

I like how the video for Kyary's "CANDY CANDY" fit the 'running with bread in mouth' gag into the PV's story.

Aug 17, 2012 3:51 PM

AlexSadist-sama said:
Probably a random idea that caught on and became overused.

And another Shion fanboy woo

Aug 17, 2012 3:55 PM

It's usually connected to the "bump into romance/new transfer student (opposite sex, usually female)" and "did you see them *blush*" tropes/cliches. Usually used for comedic purposes now. In lots of visual novels, at least from what I've seen in anime when parodying or referencing to one.

Aug 17, 2012 4:01 PM

I did it once with a banana. Regardless I probably wouldn't do it again. I didn't crash into anybody though.

Aug 17, 2012 4:06 PM

Paul said:
It's usually connected to the "bump into romance/new transfer student (opposite sex, usually female)" and "did you see them *blush*" tropes/cliches. Usually used for comedic purposes now. In lots of visual novels, at least from what I've seen in anime when parodying or referencing to one.

No, it's not usually connected to that. Most of the time it's just to indicate how lazy and unorganized a character is. As "late for school" gets repeated throughout a series while the bumping into someone new only occurs once, if at all.

Aug 17, 2012 4:18 PM

mitch3315 said:

Yes, good.

Aug 17, 2012 4:29 PM
otaking
while not the first anime/game to use the gag its t most famous and thus refcend and/or parodied is ToHeart and thus its most famous reffece to it was[ i anime out side of japan] is Lucky star
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Aug 17, 2012 4:42 PM

Enjolras1830 said:
while not the first anime/game to use the gag its t most famous and thus refcend and/or parodied is ToHeart and thus its most famous reffece to it was[ i anime out side of japan] is Lucky star

Really? It would seem like K-On! was most famous for doing this, maybe because I don't remember this happening in Lucky Star..

Aug 17, 2012 4:43 PM

Aug 17, 2012 4:49 PM

I often rearrange my collar when I wear shirts or polos, but that doesn't make it a fetish.
It's a plot device.
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした

Aug 17, 2012 4:53 PM
otaking
noyoureinsane said:
Enjolras1830 said:

Really? It would seem like K-On! was most famous for doing this, maybe because I don't remember this happening in Lucky Star..

no it Happens it 2heart in 1 of the choicses that ypu can make the tempura stand sccesn its help for friemd get the lst laof of freash bread

and the sccen from th game is reffecrented when Konata expains why shes late for class once not just the part of the sccen with the bread

side note 2heart was the role that ,ade Hirano aya Famous so she was one of the casting in LS that sold the show
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Aug 17, 2012 4:56 PM

noyoureinsane said:

There isn't a scene in k-on where one of the girls crashes into someone after running around a corner with a piece of bread in their mouth.
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした

Aug 17, 2012 4:58 PM
I'd enjoy my bread with a cup of tea rather more around a table, just saying, weird Japanese.

Aug 17, 2012 4:59 PM

Glub said:
Grr I so want to watch that anime but the subs are slow and it's a webcast :(

I seriously hope someone picks it up when BDs release.

Aug 17, 2012 5:22 PM

shairn said:
noyoureinsane said:

There isn't a scene in k-on where one of the girls crashes into someone after running around a corner with a piece of bread in their mouth.

Yeah i dont recall there being one either, in fact isn't the only time that she runs to school eating bread/toast in the first episode? and then it never happens again? xD
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?

Sep 5, 2012 1:22 PM
I have not seen this happen in a long ass time, I actually kinda miss it. In of itself, its actually a "cute" idea but like all popular ideas, its gets reused to the point where it becomes "clinche" and therefore automatically bad for some reason.