Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 12, 2012 12:38 AM

Jan 2008
that's similar to sword art online? kinda felt like playing MMO games after watching this anime. Please don't say World of Warcraft. thanks!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 12, 2012 1:03 AM

May 2012
Well in terms of similar there are many mmo's that carry characteristics but none that have them all.

The combat system being all based on the actions and movements of the player and making contact with a monster won't be found in any mmos i know of. Most being target -> get in range -> hotkey rotation. Some have a good amount of interaction like Vindictus with active blocking, dodging, and grabbing monsters along with pretty good boss fights. But as for the rest of the game it is nothing like sword art. Main quest hub town, go to an area that has all the dungeon entrances rerun them until the next dungeon(no open field). Though there has been some other content added, I haven't kept up to date.

As for the world setting of clearing dungeon floors up to 100 each with a new environment and zone for the floors, I know of none.

It really depends on what you find most attractive about SAO. Crafting, exploring, dungeons, combat, pets, new or old, etc

I'm pretty picky when it comes to mmos and have been disappointed by everything that has come out recently, looking forward to guild wars 2.

the site mmohuts.com might help you. it has reviews for tons of mmos of all kinds, gives out beta keys regularly and keeps you up to date on all mmos to come out.
Aug 12, 2012 1:27 AM

Jun 2008
RaiderZ
Aug 12, 2012 6:07 AM

Dec 2009
Most MMO's nowadays are pretty generic. All hotkey based combat, kill 10 bears, raids, pvp etc. Guild wars 2 seems promising and EVERYONE is hyping it to be the next big thing but I would suggest holding off till the reviews from players start coming in. It is certainly reminiscent of Diablo III and The Old Republic. I don't recall playing anything like SAO ( As in no magic in a classical setting ). But SAO is really just based on the MMO's on the market. But in all honestly, SAO feels more like the Diablo / Torchlight in terms of clearing floors and fighting bosses. Runescape has some floor based quest if I'm not mistaken, as do tons of MMO on the market.

As for recommendations, I would suggest you to try The Old Republic ( Free to play now ) if you prefer story driven gameplay and full-blown voice acting.

Vindictus / Tera would be the action based combat such as Dynasty Warriors which is pretty fun compared to the traditional hotkey bore.

Or maybe try Runescape, regardless of what others say Runescape is pretty unique in terms of game design. It was my first MMO as well ( Oh the memories... ).

EVE is apparently pretty good as well. Sci-fi based if you are into it.

On a more personal note, I am certainly hoping for a VR-based MMO with true AI and a great story. That would be LOVELY.
Doubt Doubt.
Aug 12, 2012 8:40 AM

Jan 2008
Xargion said:
Most MMO's nowadays are pretty generic. All hotkey based combat, kill 10 bears, raids, pvp etc. Guild wars 2 seems promising and EVERYONE is hyping it to be the next big thing but I would suggest holding off till the reviews from players start coming in. It is certainly reminiscent of Diablo III and The Old Republic. I don't recall playing anything like SAO ( As in no magic in a classical setting ). But SAO is really just based on the MMO's on the market. But in all honestly, SAO feels more like the Diablo / Torchlight in terms of clearing floors and fighting bosses. Runescape has some floor based quest if I'm not mistaken, as do tons of MMO on the market.

As for recommendations, I would suggest you to try The Old Republic ( Free to play now ) if you prefer story driven gameplay and full-blown voice acting.

Vindictus / Tera would be the action based combat such as Dynasty Warriors which is pretty fun compared to the traditional hotkey bore.

Or maybe try Runescape, regardless of what others say Runescape is pretty unique in terms of game design. It was my first MMO as well ( Oh the memories... ).

On a more personal note, I am certainly hoping for a VR-based MMO with true AI and a great story. That would be LOVELY.

doesn't the old republic requires monthly fee? are there any that doesn't require monthly fee?
Aug 12, 2012 10:07 AM
Apr 2011
SwordWielder said:

doesn't the old republic requires monthly fee? are there any that doesn't require monthly fee?

It did, but they've transitioned to free to play (a subscription model still exists, but it isn't required to pay to play anymore)
Aug 12, 2012 10:10 AM

May 2012
SwordWielder said:
Xargion said:

old republic went f2p vindictus is free, tera is pay but has a free trial, diablo 3 one time payment, runescape free with premium accounts, don't know eve :P

on the other hand building Aincrad in minecraft would be EPIC oh my god i hope someone does this somehow.. it would have to be so big though..
Aug 12, 2012 10:30 AM

Jul 2011
the only MMORPG that i can think of that is similar to SAO's aincrad is runescape's dungeoneering

they have that same concept of clearing 100 floors with a boss on each level, it was pretty fun on runescape because its a separate mini game and its even more fun playing in a party, although i did it on solo occasionally so that i could level up faster although the bosses near the end were a pain to kill especially when i was only like level 90+ and i was soloing 120+ bosses like dragons
Aug 12, 2012 10:32 AM

Apr 2012
Aion is kinda cool ,,
"You must be joking" -Gorobei
Aug 12, 2012 12:36 PM

Feb 2012
I'm surprised no one said mabinogi. It terms of similar worlds nothing really fits like SAO probably do to the fact that if you have 100 floors and, 100 bosses what happens when 100 bosses are beat?

Mabinogi has life skills ( Black smithing / cooking / commercing / tailoring )

Along with combat skills , magic and, alchemy. The dungeon systems is basically random. They also have "generations" ( or G for short ) you start off in G1 obviously and, work your way up every G has a boss fight at the end from what i've heard (I'm only on G2 ) In Mabinogi once you hit level 20 you can rebirth which resets your level to 1 so you can earn AP faster. If you decide to play I can tell you more about that or you can look it up.
Aug 12, 2012 12:46 PM

Jan 2012
SwordWielder said:
that's similar to sword art online? kinda felt like playing MMO games after watching this anime. Please don't say World of Warcraft. thanks!

My friend plays Aion, the setting is kinda the same as SAO and is also free so you can check that out.
Aug 12, 2012 10:15 PM

Jan 2008
does guild wars 2 require monthly fee?
Aug 13, 2012 1:30 AM

Sep 2008
Go play Skyrim instead. Lots of similarity, just not massively multiplayer.
Aug 13, 2012 1:32 AM

Jul 2011
No, SAO's selling point is the virtual reality. If it was an actual MMORPG [with mouse + keyboard], it'd be rather mediocre. It's linear with a clear set goal, and there's not a lot of "end game" so to speak. In all honesty, most of SAO's mechanics [given in the light novel] pertain specifically to the NervGear; the only that doesn't rely on the NervGear would be the concept and the environment.
Aug 13, 2012 2:58 AM

Jan 2011
In terms of active combat, Raiderz and Tera are the only ones that really have it. GW2 does not have action combat, it is just as hotkey based as your average mmo, but feels a little bit more actiony due to relying more on locational damage and the like. Vindictus and some other MMOs are also action based, but are dungeon crawlers and have no open world whatsoever, aside from town hubs.

There are a fewMMORPGs that have a permadeath option. Shaya comes to mind, but it is nothing like SAO.

If you want something that resembles the "100 floors" thingie, try Rusty Hearts. The overarching story is that you've managed to besiege some kind of castle, and block some evil lord in it. The game has you clear floor after floor of the castle, while trying to get to get to the final boss on the ultimate floor. It is a dungeon crawler with pre-made characters like Vindictus, has a nice anime style and has a surprisingly good story (even has a few voiceovers, which you rarely see in f2p Korean games)

Also, RaiderZ has a SAO-themed guild, in case you wanted some mild roleplaying.
Aug 13, 2012 3:15 AM

Feb 2011
I really just play Mabinogi when i get the urge from SAO. I really wanted to play a mmo with like floors and bosses but i think only the Tower of Druaga mmo comes close to that. But its supposed to be really bad.
Aug 13, 2012 1:52 PM
Aug 2012
Do you own a Wii? If so, I highly recommend Xenoblade Chronicles. It's not an MMO, but it's just as vast and in-depth as any I've played, if not more so. It's a JRPG, and it reminds me a lot of anime. It's definitely one of the best games out there right now.
Aug 13, 2012 2:02 PM

Jul 2012
no nothing will ever be like this game, there is tons of stuff in common with it but nothing will ever come close to the atmosphere projected threw the story.
Aug 13, 2012 2:12 PM
Mar 2012
Have you ever heard of Tera? It's similar in the sense that it's anime like and the scenery has a similar feel to it as well.
Aug 14, 2012 8:09 AM
Apr 2011
You can try an old mmo 2D-3D hybrid called Ragnarok Online which has anime art style, has a dungeon filled with bosses called the Endless Tower and a Boss Rush event called Bossnia. Unfortunately the grinding is pretty harsh and the fastest way to get some good gear is to buy in cash shops. If your equipment is just average you'll get wiped out by the weakest boss. Or you can wait for its full 3D version: Ragnarok Online 2. Beta testing already started in Korea. BTW this mmo has its own anime series too...
Aug 14, 2012 1:11 PM

Jun 2012
ArcheAge looks good so far, even though i don't know how similar the gameplay mechanics are to SAO. You could although check out Blade & Soul and Guild Wars 2!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2012 8:29 PM

Jul 2008
I would recommend Tera.

The game got out like 2 month ago so the content isn't tha big yet but it's definitively big enough to last you at least a month (As long as you stay as a casual gamer and do not rush through things without caring about enjoyement).

The graphism are beautifull and you have to aim your own skills unlike traditional mmorpg. What I mean is that the game will not target your skills, it won't be a situation of 'I'll just click on the ennemy then spam my skills and they'll get auto directed to the ennemy'.
Being a solo warrior class in that game is self rewarding.
Aug 14, 2012 8:37 PM
Aug 2011
RAGNAROK AND MAPLE STORY
Aug 15, 2012 2:29 AM

Apr 2012
No, seriously. I played tons of MMO's, and none have, and will have as much depth and awesome mechanics as Sword Art Online.

But, that's because of the NervGear.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Aug 17, 2012 9:37 AM
Feb 2012
Am I the o ly to say Maplestory? Removing the dungeons, and most bosses cleared, the classes and mechanics remind me of Maplestory.
Aug 18, 2012 3:38 PM

Jan 2012
i feel like monster hunter would be the one most similar to SAO since isn't monster hunter really popular over there? (i haven't played monster hunter but i always see references to it in shows)
Aug 31, 2012 6:12 AM

Sep 2008
Dragon Nest for a fast-paced action MMORPG
Aug 31, 2012 6:13 AM

Oct 2011
Rohan Blood Feud, it takes forever to log out you might as well kill yourself
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2012 8:09 AM

Sep 2010
i doubt there is any mmo that kills you IRL when you die.
trololol
Aug 31, 2012 1:34 PM

Jul 2012
Immahnoob said:
No, seriously. I played tons of MMO's, and none have, and will have as much depth and awesome mechanics as Sword Art Online.

If you do not mind me saying, but SOA mechanics are nothing special. It is simple combo-based mmo with skills from two classes (warrior and thief). Except combos are executed by making specific motion with your virtual body rather than clicking buttons. But you have rather mediocre control over your character, as systems makes you do actual actions. Moreover there is no magic/archery. SOA is definitely a beta in its universe, because ALO is definitely much more original.

About similar games: Pretty much all Asian mmorpgs fit this niche- Lineage 1/2, Aion etc. Maybe not exactly the same, but have similar formula.
BuliTMAug 31, 2012 1:38 PM
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

Whatever I write is most likely my opinion, which is based on information I learnt, not universal truth.
You may disagree.

MAL forums are more entertaining than anime themselves.
Aug 31, 2012 1:41 PM

Apr 2012
BuliTM said:
Immahnoob said:

If you do not mind me saying, but SOA mechanics are nothing special. It is simple combo-based mmo with skills from two classes (warrior and thief). Except combos are executed by making specific motion with your virtual body rather than clicking buttons. But you have rather mediocre control over your character, as systems makes you do actual actions. Moreover there is no magic/archery. SOA is definitely a beta in its universe, because ALO is definitely much more original.

About similar games: Pretty much all Asian mmorpgs fit this niche- Lineage 1/2, Aion etc. Maybe not exactly the same, but have similar formula.

Why do you think somebody would like an MMORPG like SAO?

Because of the NervGear, not because of it's mechanics.

It's mechanics are, indeed, simple. But add the NervGear in, and you have something extraordinary, makes even the simplest of things look awesome and because in SAO you can die for real, makes you think of "real life with swords".

I don't think I've explained myself properly, but it's because it's quite late here, and I'm a bit drunk.

Autocrat said:
Aug 31, 2012 1:51 PM

Jul 2011
until technology that's similar to nerve gear is invented, there will never be a game as epic as SAO

there's too huge a difference between playing a game and living in one
Sep 1, 2012 12:20 PM

Jul 2012
Immahnoob said:

Why do you think somebody would like an MMORPG like SAO?

Because of the NervGear, not because of it's mechanics.

It's mechanics are, indeed, simple. But add the NervGear in, and you have something extraordinary, makes even the simplest of things look awesome and because in SAO you can die for real, makes you think of "real life with swords".

I don't think I've explained myself properly, but it's because it's quite late here, and I'm a bit drunk.

Well, I guess I get it.

What I am getting at is that SOA seems like genuinely mediocre game. It does not seem to exploit the advantages of Virtual Reality. But I guess first 3d games were no better.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

Whatever I write is most likely my opinion, which is based on information I learnt, not universal truth.
You may disagree.

MAL forums are more entertaining than anime themselves.
Sep 1, 2012 7:15 PM

Aug 2012
The thing is, I want some company to actually make some kind of game like SAO, without the "your life is in danger".
That would be epic.

OT: I would recommend Guild wars 2 or skyrim
Sep 1, 2012 7:17 PM

Apr 2012
Runescape after EoC.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Sep 2, 2012 12:44 AM

Apr 2012
BloodRequiem said:
Runescape after EoC.

No.

Autocrat said:
Sep 2, 2012 6:40 AM

Jan 2011
BloodRequiem said:
Runescape after EoC.

Hell no.
Sep 2, 2012 4:31 PM

May 2012
as i know World of Warcraft is the only game that looks like SAO
you can be a Fury-Warrior and wear 2 blades like Kirito
and there is pets to tame like Keiko
and professions to learn like cooking,blacksmith,mining

but you can't solo :(

Guts, known as the Black Swordsman, seeks sanctuary from the demonic forces attracted to him and his woman because of a demonic mark on their necks, and also vengeance against the man who branded him as an unholy sacrifice. Aided only by his titanic strength gained from a harsh childhood lived with mercenaries, a gigantic sword, and an iron prosthetic left hand, Guts must struggle against his bleak destiny, all the while fighting with a rage that might strip him of his humanity.
Sep 2, 2012 5:12 PM

Sep 2010
kamikaze_1996 said:
until technology that's similar to nerve gear is invented, there will never be a game as epic as SAO

that's how it is you won't have experience of game like Sao for a long time, where you control everything by brain. For now they are trying to do virtual reality but that's much different from how it is presented here, and controls there are linked to body movement instead of brain control.
I wonder if concept that is made up in Sao will ever be possible.

As for Sao mmo part, you are going around killing things doing quest (although in novel there is a quest which was done by Kirito at the start, and he spend 3-4 hours killing flowers creatures and was waiting for one rare mob which was nessesery for quest, He did it right at the begining when pretty much everyone was still in the Starting City) great right killing mobs for hours just to get a quest done, also he did it when he was alone there. There is more information about this quest as later we find out that players take a full week to do this quest).
Apart from quest we have boss fights, which could be interesting, It can have a lot of different mechanics but after boss is clearned he is no more so we have one raid that can kill him and that's all, rest of players would never get them.

Anyway this part was unessesery as what we want is VRMMO :) Well I will live for another 50-70 years or so If something stiupid doesn't happen so I hope by the time I die something like this will exist :)
Sep 2, 2012 5:24 PM

May 2012
eso18 said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

that's how it is you won't have experience of game like Sao for a long time, where you control everything by brain. For now they are trying to do virtual reality but that's much different from how it is presented here, and controls there are linked to body movement instead of brain control.
I wonder if concept that is made up in Sao will ever be possible.

As for Sao mmo part, you are going around killing things doing quest (although in novel there is a quest which was done by Kirito at the start, and he spend 3-4 hours killing flowers creatures and was waiting for one rare mob which was nessesery for quest, He did it right at the begining when pretty much everyone was still in the Starting City) great right killing mobs for hours just to get a quest done, also he did it when he was alone there. There is more information about this quest as later we find out that players take a full week to do this quest).
Apart from quest we have boss fights, which could be interesting, It can have a lot of different mechanics but after boss is clearned he is no more so we have one raid that can kill him and that's all, rest of players would never get them.

Anyway this part was unessesery as what we want is VRMMO :) Well I will live for another 50-70 years or so If something stiupid doesn't happen so I hope by the time I die something like this will exist :)

Are you talking about the novel or SAO game?

Guts, known as the Black Swordsman, seeks sanctuary from the demonic forces attracted to him and his woman because of a demonic mark on their necks, and also vengeance against the man who branded him as an unholy sacrifice. Aided only by his titanic strength gained from a harsh childhood lived with mercenaries, a gigantic sword, and an iron prosthetic left hand, Guts must struggle against his bleak destiny, all the while fighting with a rage that might strip him of his humanity.
Sep 3, 2012 12:47 AM

Feb 2011
Vindictus is a MMORPG I started playing after I watched Sword Art. I also felt like playing one after watching this anime :P. I really enjoy playing vindictus and it's a easy game to get into. It's very high graphic, not point and click, and pretty fun. The game reminds me of PSO-BB if you've ever played that.
Sep 3, 2012 12:54 AM

Aug 2009
Ragnarok Online(may be a bit old for those into high 3D spec gamers, but the gameplay is what's important), for those 100 floors the Endless Tower would be a good choice but it only has a Boss Monster every 5 floors and if you're truly up for the challenge you could try clearing it by yourself(a few have succeeded).And if ever an international server comes out anytime soon then Ragnarok 2: Legend of the Second would be a good bet.

DragonNest maybe?

Sep 3, 2012 12:57 AM

Aug 2009
paladin2050 said:

Either that or rogue who can also dual wield, and from how Kirito is depicted you can tell he is purely dps in the series

..but yeh wow...skims your life and money away
Sep 3, 2012 3:33 AM
Jul 2012
Kirito's recent fight with the Glean Eyes reminded me of MapleStory.

They just created a job that specialises in breaking the damage cap, literally. It has literally solo'ed every boss possible in the entire game. (For those who actually play or had played, Zakum now takes 4 seconds to solo for that job.)

Great game for those who wants to be a Solo player.

But, of course, that game is a fail in every department when compared to SAO, its 2D, basically scroller-platform... and lacks actual PvP (or at least, what they call PvP doesn't even PK, but then again, with all those rampant damage numbers...)

SAO is too simplistic a game for MMORPGs to adopt. Not that its SAO's fault (VRMMORPGs are another whole level), but... you just can't replicate it over. At least, not in its entirely.
Sep 3, 2012 7:27 AM

Jul 2007
The closest thing that we could expect is the upcoming Otherland, based upon the best-selling novels of Tad Williams that have similar premise to SOA (the storyline of the books being about a next-generation virtuality-mmorpg used by mysterious people to trap and manipulate the players who logged in into it).

Concept-wise there are quite a few upcoming melee-based mmo games(like Swordsman Online, which is reminds me a bit of the fighting in SOA), but, IMO, its the concept of virtuality and self-awareness that makes SOA unique and hard to repeat in real "mmo".
Otherwise nope, nothing of that sort out there.
AhenshihaelSep 3, 2012 7:43 AM
Sep 3, 2012 8:46 AM
Feb 2012
Play Guild Wars 2.
Yes... you can wield 2 Swords if you're a Warrior. Or a Greatsword.
The game launched few days ago, i'm already lvl 42/80.

Yes, and there are no monthly fees.
Sep 7, 2012 3:58 PM
Jan 2012
paladin2050 said:

You, my friend, have yet to see more than one mmo it appears.
NNick said:
Play Guild Wars 2.
Yes... you can wield 2 Swords if you're a Warrior. Or a Greatsword.
The game launched few days ago, i'm already lvl 42/80.

Yes, and there are no monthly fees.

This. Also I saw a complete Baka say "GW2 has no action combat". It's hot key based! That means about as much action as you can get without forcing a controller on people. It is certainly not an rpg in terms of combat controls. (you won't find any real actiOn mmos, they all revolve around rpg mechanics somewhat).
Anyway, GW2 is certainly innovating mmo design to make a fun game.
Now if you wanted to play SAO you would need to find a kind of badly designed game, since there aren't many exciting features in SAO. I'd recommend just going for a bog standard mmo pile runescape, although jrpgs like aion and lineage 2 (latter has terribly Grundy gameplay and bots galore).
Sep 9, 2012 5:39 AM

Jun 2012
Pan151 said:
BloodRequiem said:
Runescape after EoC.

Hell no.

NO NO NO
Sep 9, 2012 6:13 AM
Jan 2012
WoW + Dragon Nest = SOA.

WoW graphics, profession and dragon nest game style.

The problem is what kind of MMO would implement a unique skill.
Everyone else would like to have it and most probably it'll be an
item shop skills that only a single person can acquire.
It'll costs a lot of money that you'll eventually shit bricks just to have it.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

70 by Zimmu »»
Apr 21, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1445 by abahterunh »»
Apr 20, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

949 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 7:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.