Forum Settings
Forums

Ah, Christianity... [warning: may contain offensive content]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 6, 2012 9:11 PM

Nov 2010
Zatoichi said:
I figured out the true reason behind the creation of this topic! It is because the OP is a WOMAN!!!
You are welcome.

Is there proof of this???
Aug 6, 2012 9:13 PM

Apr 2008
Bostonblows said:
Zatoichi said:
I figured out the true reason behind the creation of this topic! It is because the OP is a WOMAN!!!
You are welcome.

Is there proof of this???

Of course there is! My instinct.
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Aug 6, 2012 9:13 PM

Jan 2011
Zatoichi said:
You are welcome.

Maybe I'm gay (and proud! ;))
Ah, so quick to judge, aren't you.
Aug 6, 2012 9:20 PM

Jan 2012
Zatoichi said:

You should create a religion based on this.
Aug 6, 2012 9:22 PM

Sep 2009
Exkalibur said:

Lemonaded said:
God doesn't really have a gender so "he" can't be sexist. The men who wrote the bible on the other hand...

And yes, it's wonderful that you've finally opened your eyes. These threads get made way too often though.

Well, according to Christianity, the Bible is supposed to be written truthfully, is it not? And why must he have a gender to be sexist?
And that second part of your comment is said way too often.

Plenty of Christians disagree with certain aspects of the Bible and still believe in their religion. Even if there was proof that a God existed, you can't rely on what is written in the Bible to be 100% accurate. It's been rewritten, copied, edited, etc countless times over the last couple thousand years, that it's impossible to tell whether the original writers had intended for God to be sexist, or if it had been changed later on due to someone else's sexism.

I suppose God could be sexist, but I find it more likely that he was only written that way. Of course, I don't actually believe there is a God so it doesn't really matter to me how many times fictional stories are altered. But for Christians, I can at least understand why this wouldn't be enough to change their views.

Faiyez said:
Exkalibur said:
Faiyez said:
The point is that God's actions were sexist to us rational humans of late.

You're calling him irrational now?

Provided that his position puts forward any justification for the actions of the God of the Bible, yes.

Of course I don't agree with God's actions. I'm just saying I'd rather point my finger at those responsible for depicting him that way. Mostly because I believe it's a fictional story. But even if parts were true, it's hard to say whether God is truly to blame or not.
Aug 6, 2012 9:24 PM

Nov 2010
Citizeninsane said:
Zatoichi said:

You should create a religion based on this.

Truth. because he's probably right! That's more tha....nevermind, not going there.
Aug 6, 2012 9:24 PM

May 2012
Exkalibur said:
I may not be the most informed about Christianity, but the small holes in this religion in everything I do come across just doesn't allow me to take this religion seriously anymore, to put it bluntly. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying any other religion is any better but for now let's concentrate on Christianity. :) Why people still choose to follow this religion when clearly there are so many loopholes and contradictions in it, I have no idea.

There are already so many hints here that give away a possible need for attention. You said the word "I" a countless number of times, giving yourself the center of attention while the viewer reads this thread. But my quesiton is why? Why would you want this if you honestly wanted a good discussion to beget from this thread? It also shows that you have little respect for anyone but yourself, especially for the religious people that may be wondering this forum.

If you had no idea, then why didn't you just ask in a simple manner? Instead of saying that Christianity just "doesn't allow you to take it seriously anymore", why don't you ask some cut-and-dry clear questions for them to answer? Why put yourself at the center of attention?

Exkalibur said:
Is it for a form of hope that they get from believing in God or maybe a way to explain the inexplicable? Or perhaps they just don't want to face reality or break their traditions?

These two possible answers to your question aren't exclusive to Christianity; they pertain to all beliefs in this entire world! Please, don't state a few obviously possible answers that everyone should already be aware of.

Exkalibur said:
And what loopholes am I talking about, you ask?
One of the many loopholes I've come across include the fact that the all forgiving God punished Eve for eating the forbidden apple. Now, wasn't it God himself who gave the sense of temptation to her? And if anyone was to blame for those emotions, it must be Adam since she was made from him. Eve was to feel tremendous pain when giving childbirth as her punishment and be ruled by her husband, where as Adam only had to work harder at what he already did, but on the other hand, he also got the advantage over the woman. Why, isn't that a nice reward? :) So basically, God just seems like a sexist little _______ (nice guy). And it's religions like these (and don't get me started on Islam) that encourage men to look down upon women.

I don't need to mention again the amount of center focus your getting from this next section.

If you wanted a serious discussion, you should have spared the sexist joke that we've all already heard of.

I probably don't need to mention this, but your statements are so full of bias it's horrifying to a reader like me. You make it seem like God made it so that women are treated less fairly than men in Christianity, when God calls for both to submit to each other equally, albeit different roles in life. If you have a problem with the roles, please state these problems more clearly instead of talking like a 13 year old rebel who's going against her religious parents. You don't have to act that way here.

Exkalibur said:
But, feel free to open my horizons as I know there's still much more to Christianity that I'm still missing out on. :)

If only you wrote the entire thread in this kind of manner.

You might be wondering why I've bothered to mentioned all this. It's because you refused to answer my previous question.

JReitan said:
What was the reasoning behind this thread?

I even went on to say my honest intention behind asking the question soon after.

JReitan said:
Exkalibur said:
What was your reasoning behind your comment?

To tell you truthfully, I wanted to figure out whether or not you were making this thread for attention.

Instead, you chose to avoid my question for reasons I do not know of. Well I'm going to make it clear for you what I'm trying to figure out. Prove to me I'm wrong if I am.
Aug 6, 2012 9:28 PM
Jul 2012
Wow this thread is still going.... Seriously can we at least all agree religion makes a shit ton of money? i mean just look at the revenue churches get from taxes, donations old lady's, blind goats etc.. all from telling a tale about a man with a beard who lives in the clouds. I personally think MAL should make our own religion and reap in some big bucks whos with meh?
Aug 6, 2012 9:32 PM
Jul 2018
StormSurge said:
blind goats etc..

That had me rolling
Aug 6, 2012 9:35 PM

May 2012
Exkalibur said:
If he cannot make flawless deciisions that are best for us (which is his whole purpose of existence xD), then he is merely another human being.

We believe that uncompromising rationality is the best way to understand our world, but this would still be our own world view. Rationality, empiricism, and the scientific method never allows for asserting the superiority of anyone's human experience.
Aug 6, 2012 9:45 PM

Jan 2011
Lemonaded;
Like I said, I'm not here to prove or disprove a God or even convert Christians to something else because that would take much, much more effort and time. And I'm not willing to go to such lengths. Just wondering why people still choose to follow it despite the flaws in the religion.

JReitan;
Isn't every single thing we do in life for personal gain and attention? So yes, ultimately it is a form of seeking attention, you could say.
But don't think that just because I use the word 'I' makes me want more attention than the next person, that's such an invalid statement. How the hell am I supposed to state my opinion without using the most crucial word, I? Sure I could have stated the question, but I'd be stating my own opinion later on anyway (or is that not how discussions work?!), so why bother putting it off when I can just state it bluntly. If you're so offended with the way I speak, then sorry, babe, but that's how the real world works. And really, what's an interesting and spicy discussion without bias?
And to answer the question you've been dying to know, I had some time to kill. :)

With that being said, I must bid you adieu, but not before I sincerely thank you all for the entertainment. :)
Aug 6, 2012 9:46 PM

May 2012
Lemonaded said:
Plenty of Christians disagree with certain aspects of the Bible and still believe in their religion. Even if there was proof that a God existed, you can't rely on what is written in the Bible to be 100% accurate. It's been rewritten, copied, edited, etc countless times over the last couple thousand years, that it's impossible to tell whether the original writers had intended for God to be sexist, or if it had been changed later on due to someone else's sexism.

I suppose God could be sexist, but I find it more likely that he was only written that way.

The creation story is actually based on an oral tradition. Are you now going to suppose that the oral retelling was corrupted along the way before finally being written?

The way you insist in absolving God of any responsibility.... this is very similar to apologetic thinking.
Aug 6, 2012 9:58 PM

May 2012
Exkalibur said:
Isn't every single thing we do in life for personal gain and attention? So yes, ultimately it is a form of seeking attention, you could say.
But don't think that just because I use the word 'I' makes me want more attention than the next person, that's such an invalid statement. How the hell am I supposed to state my opinion without using the most crucial word, I?

Why in the world are you moving the topic to an extraordinarily broader subject of everyone wanting selfish attention? I was obviously implying that it was apparent that you were seeking for too much self attention.

Exkalibur said:
Sure I could have stated the question, but I'd be stating my own opinion later on anyway (or is that not how discussions work?!), so why bother putting it off when I can just state it bluntly.

For one who seems to talk a lot, it seems you don't know a lot about talking.

Has it ever crossed your mind that one can start a conversation by asking the person/audience of their opinion first? This is a better approach to such a touchy topic since it allows you to avoid the temptation of putting yourself in as the center of attention and it also eliminates some temptation of putting in bias as well, since you have a whole lot of room to write in as the original poster.

Exkalibur said:
If you're so offended with the way I speak, then sorry, babe, but that's how the real world works. And really, what's an interesting and spicy discussion without bias?

Exkalibur said:
And to answer the question you've been dying to know, I had some time to kill. :)

Honey, with the answers you've been giving me, I highly doubt that that is the full truth.
Aug 6, 2012 10:02 PM

Jul 2012
With Christianity you can do whatever you want, like kill or rape then you can ask for forgiveness at the end and it's all good :)
Aug 6, 2012 10:11 PM

May 2012
Pigeon_Senpai said:
With Christianity you can do whatever you want, like kill or rape then you can ask for forgiveness at the end and it's all good :)

How is this different from any other human being?
Aug 6, 2012 10:17 PM

May 2012
JReitan said:
Pigeon_Senpai said:

You'll always go to heaven, even when you can't evade a death sentence.
Aug 6, 2012 10:17 PM

Mar 2012
Another self-important atheist thread, nice.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 6, 2012 10:30 PM

May 2012
Faiyez said:
JReitan said:
Pigeon_Senpai said:

You'll always go to heaven, even when you can't evade a death sentence.

Exactly. For the non-Christian, it's the same. Even when he can't evade a death sentence, he will accept his death because he deserves it. Even if he asks for forgiveness, he cannot change the past, no? In the end, all is said and done. All is "good" the way it is.
Aug 6, 2012 10:51 PM

May 2012
Well, I don't believe we really have free will, in any case.
Aug 6, 2012 10:57 PM

Sep 2009
Faiyez said:
The creation story is actually based on an oral tradition. Are you now going to suppose that the oral retelling was corrupted along the way before finally being written?

The way you insist in absolving God of any responsibility.... this is very similar to apologetic thinking.

Not necessarily corrupted, but don't you think after years of retelling the story orally, that there would be some amount of change to the original? And even if it was still completely accurate to the original telling, there's still plenty of time between when it was first written down to the present. The original records were lost so it's difficult to say for sure.

I'm not trying to absolve God of anything. If he exists, then he's responsible for a lot of things. It's just a good idea to keep in mind that what we know from the Bible, may not be exactly the way it happened. Again, that's assuming God exists.

Being an apologetic is at least better than having blind faith. But no, I'd be closer to Agnostic.
Aug 6, 2012 11:10 PM
Nov 2010
I'm aware of the not-so-little holes in religion, but, seriously, let's not make a hundred threads about it.
Aug 6, 2012 11:37 PM

Aug 2010
Well, yes, there are still people who worship God and are Christians.
In Romania, an 80 million euro cathedral is built out of donations, so yeah...

The big point here is that from what I've seen, the 90's generations have started to seclude themselves from Christians. By that, I mean the 'Internet' generations, where I think about 80-90% don't have Christian views anymore.
Aug 7, 2012 1:10 AM

Apr 2011
I'm a christian. I understand that there are holes in the religion and that it's not perfect just like any other religion. I'm not gonna bash another persons beliefs. I don't agree with the extremists. Blah blah blah.

Either way there will probably be another one of these threads in a week so whatever. >.>
Aug 7, 2012 6:32 AM

Jun 2011
Liek dis if u ateiest now
tfw no gf
tfw i keep getting the banhammer on here
tfw Koleare keeps banning me every other day
tfw I'm misunderstood by le mod
Aug 7, 2012 6:45 AM

Mar 2008
Its kind of hard to generalize Christianity since it has over 30,000 denominations that believe different things. Plus there are the Christian based religions that are argued by some people if they are Christian or not such as Rastafari (They really are never classified as Christian but you can sort of argue it a little), LDS (Mormon), Catholicism, and Jehovah's Witness.

The only thing that can be argued is the bible itself. Its poorly written filled with hundreds of contradictions and because it was written by various authors and censored and edited and translated so much I dont know why any Christian would even trust it entirely.

Similar goes for Islam because I mean come on its a carbon copy of Christianity and Zoroastrianism as far as the Quran goes.
Aug 7, 2012 6:51 AM
May 2009
everybody knows the 1 true god is the flying spaghetti monster
Aug 7, 2012 6:53 AM

Mar 2008
AnvilMAn said:
Honestly I think that joke is a little worn out. FSM was created by a college to protest against teaching creationism in schools.
Aug 7, 2012 6:56 AM

May 2012
traed said:
AnvilMAn said:
Honestly I think that joke is a little worn out. FSM was created by a college to protest against teaching creationism in schools.
AnvilMAn, are you satisfied with that awesomely funny +1 post of yours?
Aug 7, 2012 7:20 AM

Mar 2009
Watch Zeitgeist to lulz a little more about religion.
Aug 7, 2012 8:04 AM

Sep 2008
Zeitgeist has even more loopholes than religion does. Some things are genuinely interesting in it, but there're so many unresearched things it hurts. I've been a believer for some time and some of the things mentioned in Zeitgeist just got "What the hell are you talking about, that's not mentioned ANYWHERE in a religion I believe in, where did you get that info from? Wikipedia?".

As for believe vs don't believe thing, I still think everyone has its own right to choose what he wants. I also believe Church and the religion should not be considered the same nowadays. There's just too much sh*t church does on a daily basis. I believe church should exist, but probably not as it is today.

I'm somewhat of a mix between Catholic and the Baptist, we could say I'm adapting religion to be what I want it to be, but that's both true and not true. I read Bible and believe in what it says, but of course I don't understand everything it says.

Catholic church has some dogmas I strongly reject as they're not what's written in the Bible, but they said it is, because, well, they're Church so people should obediently listen and keep their mouth shut.

I swear, I get drunk from time to time. Not a perfect believer, but I don't pretend I am. I'm also shy person who avoids any kind of trouble :)

I just believe there's God and we should try never to harm other human being, both physically and mentally (phychologically? Dunno English word for it).

I also never try to push my own beliefs to another person, nor do I tell them they're sentenced to hell if they don't listen, it's not me who decides :)
However, when a person asks me about God, I will speak, a lot :)

Sorry for the long post, just tried to say it all in one post :)
Aug 7, 2012 8:06 AM

Jun 2007
traed said:
AnvilMAn said:

Pastafarianism is just as legitimate as Christianity though.
LeondreAug 7, 2012 8:35 AM
Aug 7, 2012 8:13 AM

Dec 2010
^ Sincerity is the difference.
Aug 7, 2012 8:15 AM

May 2012
Rainbow-Dash said:
traed said:
AnvilMAn said:

That doesn't make it any less legitimate than Christianity.
What?
Aug 7, 2012 10:14 AM

Mar 2012
God doesn't exist full stop, that is all
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SilentSuicide&sclick=1]
Aug 7, 2012 10:20 AM

Jun 2012
JReitan said:
Rainbow-Dash said:
traed said:
AnvilMAn said:

That doesn't make it any less legitimate than Christianity.
What?

both have no sense-data associated with them
they are both illegitimate
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 7, 2012 10:24 AM

May 2012
Regicide said:

What is sense-data?
Aug 7, 2012 10:53 AM

Jun 2012
JReitan said:
Regicide said:

What is sense-data?

also known as qualia
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 7, 2012 11:57 AM

Mar 2009
emogaara said:
It makes me chuckle to think there are people out there believing in some old guy with a beard who's flying around the universe.
Aug 7, 2012 12:19 PM

Feb 2010
Didn't we just have a religion thread.
Aug 7, 2012 12:25 PM

Nov 2011
MartialCadence said:
emogaara said:
It makes me chuckle to think there are people out there believing in some old guy with a beard who's flying around the universe.

Of course there is!

His name is Santa.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Aug 7, 2012 12:40 PM

Mar 2012
Akito_Kinomoto said:
Didn't we just have a religion thread.

Yep. It was bad then and it's bad now.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 7, 2012 12:50 PM

Jul 2012
i'm new. Are religious-related threads a daily event here? (yes, i'm being a jerk)
Aug 7, 2012 1:02 PM

May 2012
Although personally I'm no longer a religious person per se, to me the fact that one can criticize Christianity openly without much repercussion says something about the religion itself. Compare that to how another religion deal with people criticizing it.
Aug 7, 2012 1:19 PM

Jun 2012
I'm just glad no one is really taking this thread seriously.
Aug 7, 2012 1:31 PM

May 2009
*sigh*
Aug 7, 2012 1:33 PM

Jun 2010
DeWinter said:
I'm just glad no one is really taking this thread seriously.

I'm ambivalent. I wouldn't mind if this either went nowhere or escalated into drama whoring.
Aug 7, 2012 2:38 PM

Apr 2011
Ah... the joys of religion.
Aug 7, 2012 2:42 PM

Mar 2008
MartialCadence said:
emogaara said:
Thats just a personification. They dont all imagine "him" with a physical form.
Aug 7, 2012 3:01 PM

Feb 2009
God, according to his own confession (he calls it a Bible), after all it's his revealed word, so it's also a confession, is a mysognist (he clearly hates females, it's all over this religion), is a virgin raping (holy spirit my ass), child killer (unless you consider Christ was him made flesh, then he becomes merely suicidal).

Loopholes? we don't actually need loopholes (not that there are none) considering all the sexist crap that saturates this religion (which in a courtroom is actually slander, if you take the slant that Christ never started Christianity, it's just wearing his name, but then he's god made flesh, and like I really couldn't care less about his reputation being slandered).

But I can only say to your average Christian, believe any dumb shit you like, just so long as you keep your hands out of MY life, and MY choices, and in no way insist on your delusions being more important than my rights to not be deluded along with you.

And for you Christians, here's your sign.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Aug 7, 2012 4:14 PM
Jun 2012
Ragix said:
MartialCadence said:
emogaara said:

Of course there is!

His name is Santa.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on _____? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Gem - Aug 28, 2016

2798 by MitsukiHimeka »»
1 minute ago

» First Thing That Comes To Mind v21 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Mar 27

6621 by crescensXG »»
3 minutes ago

» Name a music artist from the last letter! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SnipeStrike - Mar 31

315 by AkeZZZ »»
3 minutes ago

» Based on the above user's avatar, what is their favorite food? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LogicalInjustice - Jul 5, 2016

390 by AkeZZZ »»
3 minutes ago

» Have you seen the anime above? v.5 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KayKimii - Jan 23, 2023

5516 by AkeZZZ »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.