Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 20, 2016 10:14 PM

May 2013
Shirahoshi should call the sea kings to hold off the boat :3
Jul 31, 2016 3:59 AM

Mar 2015
Decent episode that showed Luffy's new Haki skills and it's fun to see Hordy get whooped

But like, how is it okay that that Decken guy admits he's loved Shirahoshi since she was 6?
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 10, 2016 7:00 PM
Oct 2015
I wish Shirahoshi would just accept Van Der Decken's love so we can at least get some good sex scenes. I'd be down for that filler.I mean, we were close to the manga right, got to save time :)
Jan 5, 2017 9:41 PM
Jan 2017
chekrdnickrs said:

But like, how is it okay that that Decken guy admits he's loved Shirahoshi since she was 6?

I was wondering when somebody was gonna bring this up
Aug 13, 2017 6:34 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
I almost thought she would use her scremy thing or something but nah.
What will Luffydo to stop this gigantic arc from smashing everything around them?

''I wonder if the sea will turn red if we all get smashed at once'' - Robin I love you xD

Oct 22, 2017 6:10 AM

Feb 2013
Vander Decken, I hate you with a burning passion.
May 15, 2018 1:46 PM

Mar 2017
Luffy using Kenbunshoku Haki is so cool *O*

rewatching

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Aug 12, 2019 5:25 AM

Jun 2016
Now this is a freaking cool episode. From the Luffy beating down Hordy to the Noah coming to crash into the island sending it into evacuation, a lot of stuff I care about just happened. Having Shirahoshi flee from a ship the size of an island that will never stop following her until it itself is smashed is so awesome in concept and execution. It really reminds me of Sniper from Yuyu Hakusho throwing trucks and stuff at Yusuke. However, saying it must be smashed is scary because this is an ancient giant ship and King Neptune is saying as we could expect it is incredibly important, with our knowledge of Joy Boy's apology it may go with that. It's a shame such a man with a disgusting obsession is destroying it for something so small. But, how else could it be stopped other than being destroyed?

So, Luffy showed off his new skills and showed that despite taking a beating and getting back up, a guy at Hordy's level is almost nothing but a henchman with a lot of health to him. I love how he couldn't keep Luffy's attention either with him turning to compliment Surume. He couldn't touch Luffy, the one time he did Luffy hardened his head and flung it back shattering iron shields. Then he reacted or used haki when Hordy shaved beside him and showed off more of his armament hardening, blocking a near teleportation kick and kicking his face down with a hardened kick as if gear is not even necessary for someone on Hordy's caliber. Then to top it all off, Luffy showed off some haki and dodged the shark arrows matrix style and punched through it with a hardened punch. That felt so good to watch. Partly because it's Luffy showing off how far he's come, and also because Hordy has been set up to be arrogant and by far overestimating himself on top of being a cruel man who's warped even the worst of fishman liberators ideology.

The Noah coming showed quite a few interesting things. Firstly, as Shirahoshi swam away from the bubble it hit me that Luffy can't save her anymore, so I yelled "JIMBEI AND SANJI GO!!!" assuming the strong water boys would do it as they have proper motivations for it. It also set up the second time this dynamic has been created of Sanji's pure, possibly creepy love but one that still cares about women in an imo empowering way (putting them above him in every way) vs creeps who have an obsessive love of women which takes away their autonomy and tries to forcibly take their love, treating them as objects and in that way putting them below them. Both Absalom and Decken have been this way, so if Sanji went after Decken that would do this dynamic again quite prominently, however, it didn't. Sanji had faith in Luffy going, he has so much faith in Luffy that he accepted the order and didn't personally go for his beloved Shirahoshi, instead he kicked Luffy up there.

I didn't expect Luffy to use bubbly coral and a powerful kick from Sanji, as Sanji could moonwalk up to the water and swim to the ship, I actually expected Sanji to have taken that knife himself. But, it went like that and with Hordy on the ship too it means every major player is on the Noah. Oda had to go and make this interesting didn't he?! I love it. The conflict between a furious Hordy who's willing to go get revenge on that crazy Decken yet still utilize his plan and this Sniper-esque situation with Shirahoshi fleeing as a sacrifice, showing that in the face of a do or don't situation she will do what it takes to keep the kingdom safe. And, a furious Luffy here to save his friend and break the face of Decken, all with Hordy there to get another beating by Luffy. On the ground? Well, the officers are there to get whooped by our crew. This is looking like quite the lively situation.

Lastly, the adorably ugly minion of Decken, Wadatsumi, has been given a good reason to change sides and knowing Oda it will be a treat to see what happens with him.

chobentys said:

No one said it was okay, he's totally depicted as a disgusting and deranged idiot who's obsession for power by using her turned into this sick form of love that defeats his original purpose. In fact, his original words about her was to marry her for her power and his ancestors dream, it was clear to me it didn't start as love despite him tricking himself into thinking it did. To kill her out of love also damns his ancestors dream of utilizing the power, what a weird guy to have his obsession change and warp like that.

Or maybe he's not so weird. He goes with the theme of Hordy who took the heroes of fishman liberation and their dreams and warped them so much it's no longer the same dream at all. With both Decken and Hordy they come from a line of people who wanted to achieve something with each differing from it more and more. Hordy's dream isn't really one about fishman freedom, wellbeing, or equality, it's more of one about dominating humans. Decken's dream isn't about capturing and using Shirahoshi's power, it's now about killing her. Perhaps the villains of this arc are a bit more interesting than I gave them credit for. HMMM.
Dec 31, 2020 5:36 AM

May 2016
Hordy became a glorified punching bag for Luffy to test his Haki out on lmao

Shirahoshi's doing her best to get everyone out of harm's way. As brave of a gesture that was, she can't outrun that massive ark forever so Luffy better beat the two fishy bastards quick!

Feb 16, 2021 3:18 PM

Jan 2010
How did everyone lose track of the princess, one of the two largest Fishmen in the battle arena and the person Hody and Decken have been trying to capture/kill the whole time?
Jun 4, 2021 1:15 PM

Jun 2019
Robin is a fucking savage. LMAO. Shirahoshi taking the L.
Aug 18, 2021 11:19 PM

Aug 2021
Luffy's Haki is too gwooood!!!
Jun 14, 2023 8:46 AM
Feb 2022
Shirahoshi esta dispuesta a sacrificarse por su país. Es igual a su madre.
Jul 1, 2023 10:03 PM
Oct 2019
Wow Noah was so Gigantic!!

How dare Vander Decken hurt Shirahoshi? 🤬
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 397 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HydraA - Apr 19, 2009

91 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 396 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Somebody - Apr 12, 2009

195 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 395 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Somebody - Apr 5, 2009

76 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 394 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Mar 29, 2009

66 by gannoncannon55 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 393 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JudgeRuthless - Mar 15, 2009

74 by gannoncannon55 »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.