Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 4, 2012 3:39 PM

Feb 2008
Vizi_Reality said:
Do you have any better alternative about the pacing and the timeframe then? Like how they should show the pacing better, so the viewer can understand the situation better?

Kirito could just have 45-60 seconds at the beginning spent on explaining where he went after the last episode and how he ended up with Asuna again. Just a short explanation. That's all that's really needed for the episode to make sense.
Aug 4, 2012 3:40 PM
Nov 2010
Kirito and Asuna finally taking it easy just to find some scrubs killing each other over a ring? Ah well, it's not like they care too much, the two are more curious as to how players are being killed in a safe area. Looking forward to episode 7, can't wait for the plot to finally get going.

Anyways, what's up with people complaining about there being no plot? It was pretty obvious that the main plot hasn't even come into play yet by the random dates and floors that we keep finding Kirito on. It may be pointless, but maybe they're trying to introduce you to characters, their relationship with one another, and events that may be important in the main storyline.
Aug 4, 2012 3:42 PM
May 2012
The episode was good.at least some stories are finally coming to play.but i have i don't feel any excitement as i felt in the first episode yet.its lacking impact.Maybe its only me!! Side stories are not that exciting and there will be a few more.does anyone have any idea where will really start?And guys do me favor and stop running your mouth like you are an expert or something.If you don't like it then don't bother blabbering.you should watch anime for entertainment not criticizing.
Aug 4, 2012 3:43 PM

Aug 2008
Netto_Azure said:
Oh wow, so Doujins DO become canon, they incorporated parts of the Materia Edition 1: The Progressers.

So even fanfics the author writes CAN become canon hahahahaha.

But I am truly happy that they did this adaptation really well. Has most of the Mystery and details in it. :3

Huh? This is from Vol 8: A Murder Case in the Area. Go to Baka-Tsuki and read it. :D

Aug 4, 2012 3:46 PM

Mar 2011
Veronin said:
Vizi_Reality said:
Do you have any better alternative about the pacing and the timeframe then? Like how they should show the pacing better, so the viewer can understand the situation better?

Kirito could just have 45-60 seconds at the beginning spent on explaining where he went after the last episode and how he ended up with Asuna again. Just a short explanation. That's all that's really needed for the episode to make sense.

That's a good point. But idk if they have enough time to add 45-60 seconds at the beginning for short explanation and with the anime already felt a bit rushed for some. Tradeoff i guess..
Yeah, let's hope they will do a good job for the main story
Firixizu_MintAug 4, 2012 4:03 PM
Aug 4, 2012 3:56 PM

Oct 2008
Man, somebody has invested heavily on his agility and one heck of an assassin build to
Aug 4, 2012 3:57 PM

Dec 2009
pikel-kun said:
Netto_Azure said:
Oh wow, so Doujins DO become canon, they incorporated parts of the Materia Edition 1: The Progressers.

So even fanfics the author writes CAN become canon hahahahaha.

But I am truly happy that they did this adaptation really well. Has most of the Mystery and details in it. :3

Huh? This is from Vol 8: A Murder Case in the Area. Go to Baka-Tsuki and read it. :D

Umm no, the flashback in the beginning was literally word per word from part of the doujin. Yes, it was mentioned in Volume 8, but the animated scene with the guild discussing the plans for floor 56 was literally from there.
Aug 4, 2012 3:58 PM

Jan 2011
Vizi_Reality said:
Veronin said:
Vizi_Reality said:

That's a good point. But idk if they have enough time to add 45-60 seconds at the beginning for short explanation and with the anime already felt a bit rushed for some. Tradeoff i guess..

What? They did not have time? Hell, are we really going to discuss this in the light of THIS episode, that feels nothing short of airtime waste at THIS time?!? I dont care if later some parts of it will become relevant. The novel was good enough without the side stories, right? So why the damn hell not follow up the main story and then animate the stuff in the side stories when it becomes relevant?
Keep in mind that most people would have scratched their heads and dropped this after 5 episodes of random stuff if there wasnt so much hype. This show is demanding more credit that it deserves so far, dont you think?
Aug 4, 2012 4:02 PM

Jun 2008
Veronin said:
Vizi_Reality said:

That's because they never had any connection in Volume 2, all of those side stories are just there for side stories written as prequels as I said. And such explanations also do not exist in the original light novel.
The novels just assumes that they met again in the frontlines at some point of the story.

They're really adapting it by the book, nothing "new" was added, only things get compressed and cut out.

Basically, I'm not saying that it's a great decision to put them in chronological order, but because of the way it was meant to be a prequel, all of these Side Stories is just not delivered right.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Aug 4, 2012 4:17 PM

Mar 2011
AlexGK said:
Vizi_Reality said:
Veronin said:
Vizi_Reality said:

What? They did not have time? Hell, are we really going to discuss this in the light of THIS episode, that feels nothing short of airtime waste at THIS time?!? I dont care if later some parts of it will become relevant. The novel was good enough without the side stories, right? So why the damn hell not follow up the main story and then animate the stuff in the side stories when it becomes relevant?
Keep in mind that most people would have scratched their heads and dropped this after 5 episodes of random stuff if there wasnt so much hype. This show is demanding more credit that it deserves so far, dont you think?

Yeah, they could add the side stories later, but I'm not an expert so I'm not really sure. But, I think they add the side stories at the beginning to develop Kirito and other characters background and their relationship. Also some of the game mechanics and setting
About the overall show, I think it's good but fell a bit short on the story aspect and lack of presentation (not like the first episode which is awesome)
Firixizu_MintAug 4, 2012 4:24 PM
Aug 4, 2012 4:34 PM

Nov 2009
Well, 25episode. This gonna be 4volume adapted from the original novel.

Let's imagine this:

Assuming they follow the main story and put those u guys called "side story" on OVAs, everything starts at 74th floor, then complete the first vol which is Aincrad in 5-6 episode, and u guys would probably wonder what the heck is happening? Why does the story progress so fast? Those side stories help the viewer to observe and obtain more information about the world of Aincrad which wasn't portrayed enough in the first vol which is considered as "main story" in the novel, and that's why these side stories are published as volume 2.

Then the biggest part would probably on the second part of the main story (volume 3) when another character appears and have an unpredictable relationship with our main male+female lead. Although in vol2, this char has already made an appearance in vol2, see what I mean? Main characters appeared on side story as the main story progresses.

main route first, side stories as OVAs later -> lots of unclear things, unexplainable character show up. What about put them after we finish the first vol(Aincrad)? Just like what light novel readers have been through?
"Noooo, what the FK!!!!??? I want to see what happens next, screw these side stories!!!!" ---> typical non-novel reader reaction.

Although they rushed those side stories, cut out, compressed, but that can't be helped. What ya gonna do when trying to adapt 4vol novel into 25episode anime?

Let's just enjoy the show for now.
Takana_no_HanaAug 4, 2012 4:44 PM
Aug 4, 2012 4:36 PM

Aug 2011
NNick said:
Ok, so i just marathoned first 5 episodes. The idea of this show is so ridiculous and stupid, and yet same time great.
MMO? Finish the game to exit? Jesus, do they know word grinding? That would be what i'd do, just go to starter area and kill lowest level monsters until you get max level. But, wait, they're all scared...

The main character remind me Shu from Guilty Crown. Just another emo with no reason to be one, i bet later on they'll provide some stupid "sad" back story for him, and the creator of the game will turn out to be his father.

Also, this is supposed to be romance and drama? I care absolutely nothing for anyone.
Never played a proper MMO before? o-o
As the experience needed to level rises exponentially, grinding on low levels mobs would take forever. And by forever, I mean at least 5-10 years minimum.

Reminds you of Shu. okay, that's fine. But I'd like to say that I personally don't think that Kirito is emo. If anything, he seemed pretty laid back this ep.

Who told you this is drama? This was never drama. Romance will come in later; it's only ep 5.

/I'll admit it, I'm a 'deluded' LN fan. Didn't mean to offend you and disregard your views or anything. My inner self started raging after reading that Kirito - Shu comparison lol
RaisinMuffinsAug 4, 2012 4:40 PM
Aug 4, 2012 4:36 PM
Feb 2012
I dont know about the LN or anything, but episodes really seem to progress too fast.

They're virtual characters in mmo, i dont see why can't they just grind all the time untill they each max level. Of course slaying low level mobs won't grant you good gear, but with the max level you'll be able to face roll content with ease.
RGBNameAug 4, 2012 4:40 PM
Aug 4, 2012 4:41 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
chanotek said:
Never played a proper MMO before? o-o
As the experience needed to level rises exponentially, grinding on low levels mobs would take forever. And by forever, I mean at least 5-10 years minimum.

It's not limited to MMO - it's a concept of class/level based systems going all the way back to Dungeons and Dragons in the late 1970s, where at low levels a couple of ogres are enough to scare a low level party home while those same ogres aren't worth the time and effort for a high level party.
Aug 4, 2012 4:47 PM

Aug 2010
The mystery theme changed up the atmosphere a bit and made this episode better than past episodes.
Aug 4, 2012 4:52 PM

May 2012
This episode was pretty dark........I LIKED IT! I'm really intrigued as to who this phantom killer guy is and what sorts of abilities he has. It was nice seeing Asuna again. Seeing her and Kirito interact with one another is really entertaining to see and I hope they actually decide to stick together from now on. At this point I think it would be safer for them anyway! lol.
"No matter how much of a genius one is, in front of the Uchiha name, they're just ordinary people." - Sasuke Uchiha

Aug 4, 2012 4:56 PM

Jun 2009
gillbobjones said:
This show went down hill from the get go. The only good parts are with asuna

Which was the entire episode...

A decent episode, the pacing seemed a bit better here than in the last few. Asuna was acting a bit more "Tsunderish" than I thought she would be going by episode 2.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 4, 2012 4:57 PM

Apr 2012
NNick said:
Ok, so i just marathoned first 5 episodes. The idea of this show is so ridiculous and stupid, and yet same time great.
MMO? Finish the game to exit? Jesus, do they know word grinding? That would be what i'd do, just go to starter area and kill lowest level monsters until you get max level. But, wait, they're all scared...

The main character remind me Shu from Guilty Crown. Just another emo with no reason to be one, i bet later on they'll provide some stupid "sad" back story for him, and the creator of the game will turn out to be his father.

Also, this is supposed to be romance and drama? I care absolutely nothing for anyone.

Well, I would imagine the people stuck in the MMO would want to get out asap. That being said, you also have to go through 100 floors, it seems too time consuming to just stay grinding when you can go through the game faster doing quests and forming parties and guilds (makes a better story too).

I haven't really seen Kirito as an emo, except in episode 3. He seems more assertive and laid back then Shu. Shu just straight out pissed me off... Even if he were emo, being stuck in a game unable to contact family and friends with the clear possibility of death seems pretty depressing to me.

I don't think it's a drama. The romance should be coming later on. I don't really care about any of the characters either, but 5 episodes isn't a lot of character development (especially since it isn't even the main story yet).
Aug 4, 2012 5:03 PM

Mar 2011
mdz said:
They also cut out a character, that was a bit puzzling, he offered a piece of advice that ultimately became quintessential to the mystery.

yea, kinda weird. now would've been a good time to introduce him.
Aug 4, 2012 5:05 PM

Dec 2009
Niyari said:
mdz said:
They also cut out a character, that was a bit puzzling, he offered a piece of advice that ultimately became quintessential to the mystery.

yea, kinda weird. now would've been a good time to introduce him.

But introducing him would...

Aug 4, 2012 5:09 PM

Feb 2012
Haven't read this volume in the novel, but I feel like few things are missing...
Aug 4, 2012 5:11 PM

Jul 2012
Very interesting. I can't remember the names of the new characters though. LOL

NEXT SATURDAY COME FASTER! :S
Aug 4, 2012 5:17 PM

May 2010
I thought it was a good episode and I was pretty interested in what was going on.

Watching the anime is really making me want to read the LN.
Aug 4, 2012 5:19 PM

Sep 2011
After the slur of pretty alright but not outstanding episodes this one is my favorite. One because Of Asuna, Two, because the pacing is good enough to where I can get into the current plot properly and three it acctually surpised me making me more interested.

I seriously was thinking the purple haired girl had something to with the murder and she did, but not in the way I thought it was. and then the way it ended...nicely done, nicely done.
Aug 4, 2012 5:26 PM
Feb 2012
This Show, at least first 5 episodes, are in no way dark, or sad, that or i just feel no connection.
Aug 4, 2012 5:28 PM

May 2011
A bit surprising that they didn't seriously consider some possibility of a glitch being exploded, not making use of only existing game mechanics that are working at intended. But I guess this is the perfect kind of game that never needs patching? Ah well, I pick at the little things.

I also was bothered by the idea that a duel could result in death. Why would anyone want to duel if it could get to that point so easily. It looks like there isn't a failsafe, you just have to say you don't want to fight anymore. Which, in a duel of strength, seems like something people wouldn't want to do until they miscalculate and get killed off.
Aug 4, 2012 5:32 PM
Feb 2012
The Bottom Line, they're all terrible players, Koreans would have finished the game in few hours.

Exploit game, mechanics, AI, spawning, mobs = victory.
Aug 4, 2012 5:33 PM

Feb 2008
No way I don't think so the main story haven't even begin yet.

AznMadness said:
Looks like asuna's back :P seems like more of a bitch now but meh. Also floor 57 already and we're only on episode 5, by the rate it's going now it'll be close to 100 at around episode 10.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Aug 4, 2012 5:33 PM

Jul 2012
It'll be interesting to see how this is going to turn out. Can't wait for episode 6.
Aug 4, 2012 5:36 PM
Jul 2011
I hate the type of female character's like Asuna.
Aug 4, 2012 5:36 PM

Jun 2010
For those who is complaining about this Anime, please.. Blame A-1 Pictures not SAO itself. And better read the novel ;)
Aug 4, 2012 5:37 PM

Nov 2007
Seemed obvious Yoriko would die. Lots of deaths lately.

Asuna was kinda bitchy at first, but at least didn't go into annoying mode.

Still seems like way too many cute girls for this to be an MMO.
Aug 4, 2012 5:37 PM

Jan 2008
Honestly, I don't really have anything to say about this episode, nothing amazing but it's not like it was bad.
Aug 4, 2012 5:38 PM

May 2010
Really that it? finally Asuna shows up and this is what we get? people offing them selfs? this is starting to get repetitive, maybe im being a little harsh here or its the fact im still a little pissed off from yesterdays Accel World

Asuna went from Shy and not saying anything in the 1st ep to loud and Bitchy now, feels like im missing out on her character development because of that i want to know her back story from then to now hope we get the 411 on that later on.
HydnlifeAug 4, 2012 5:50 PM
Aug 4, 2012 5:40 PM
Feb 2012
Decent show, not 10/10, at least so far, or even 9, but i'll watch it for the same reason i watched Guilty Crown ,which is - i don even know why.

Love The OP song though.
Aug 4, 2012 5:44 PM

Jul 2010
Decent episode, though i feel some important things are skipped (?).Anyway, it wasnt that bad.
Aug 4, 2012 5:51 PM

Jul 2012
NNick said:
Decent show, not 10/10, at least so far, or even 9, but i'll watch it for the same reason i watched Guilty Crown ,which is - i don even know why.

Love The OP song though.

I love the OP too, LiSA is amazing, one of the reasons that i`m watching SAO.
Aug 4, 2012 5:53 PM

Jul 2012
Everyone, calm your asses. After the side stories are over there won't be all this sudden jumping anymore. The story connects once the side stories are over. They're just there to explain some things such as how did Kirito get his sword or how does Kirito know so and so.

They give the non ln readers an introduction before the main story. If there weren't side stories then all of you who haven't read the ln would be even more pissed for having random characters appear. It's like haruhi but not as bad.
Aug 4, 2012 5:53 PM

Jul 2009
Netto_Azure said:
ILove11 said:
WTF?
Since when Kirito isn't really famous as the Black Swordman and all this stuff?

It was mentioned in the Novels that middle-floor mostly hear rumors about "The Black Swordsman" only the Frontliners and other solo peepz know what he looks like.

Black IS a very common color after all

So does Asuna know how awesome Kirito is?
Aug 4, 2012 6:03 PM

May 2011
Paarthaawi said:
NNick said:

Love The OP song though.

I love the OP too, LiSA is amazing, one of the reasons that i`m watching SAO.

She is awesome, I really like this OP.

Psycho insert without build up.... oooook. =/
NEED MOAR MAIN PLOT!
Aug 4, 2012 6:08 PM

Jul 2012
Love to see Asuna x Kirito more. Finally they're back together in the same group.

So, seems like SAO has a bug? I realized that she'd get killed as well when she walked to the window ...

So, this is the first cliffhanger episode? Urghhhh now I can't wait for the next EP!

Toshino Kyoko!!!
Aug 4, 2012 6:12 PM

Jan 2011
at first was like fuck yeah lets go! gonna kite this boss to a town and kill it plus Asuna finally back! but then this murder had to happen ;_; at first i was expecting her to get PK'd in her sleep but i guess not only a rogue would had type of skillful dagger throwing :p
Aug 4, 2012 6:13 PM
Sep 2011
Veronin said:

• One of the most retarded motives for murder I have seen in quite some time.

I don't think you understand the murder mystery genre very well as in...it is a mystery and if you really think the guy who everyone suspects is going to be the killer then you need to go and read some more mystery novels.
Just a simple add if you hate this show so much no one is forcing you to watch it just stop.

Just an example although I don't think she did it it is incredibly easy to make a case around psycho purple haired girl being the killer, after all she knows the suspect who made the weapon, had an oppurtunity to steal the ring, knows the people in the guild and it is kind of odd she was killed by a single dagger attack to you?
Aug 4, 2012 6:19 PM

Mar 2010
dat fanservice
Aug 4, 2012 6:29 PM

Jul 2009
Do not get me wrong I am a big fan of this serie but I dont really liked this episode, I dont liked the detective felling of this episode I'm more for the dungeon clearing and lovely dovley (hope I spelled it right) then this, and yes episode 4 was more my taste then this episode. Well we will see what happened in the next episode i hope it will be the more action packed this time
Nothing in this world lasts forever, and it´s time you accept that.
It's better to not cling to these things that you will eventually lose.
Aug 4, 2012 6:31 PM

Jun 2012
If Kirito is a solo player what is he doing cooperating with other guilds on the front lines? Does it mean he just temporarily works with people when needed? Not too much of a big deal but whatev, however, I'm really liking this detective mystery mini arc so far. Was baffled when we just suddenly saw Asuna again with no fanfare since she is the main heroine of the series but this episode made up for it with the excellent rapport between Kirito and Asuna. The seiyuu make Kirito and Asuna have really good chemistry with each other and it's a joy to see these two interact together.

Other Thoughts

Was a little confused with the girls freakout at the end because it didn't make sense to why she was doing it. I'll definitely have to watch it again to see why she broke down all of a sudden

The OP and ED are starting to really grow on me after a couple of episodes( though I liked them both already)
Aug 4, 2012 6:35 PM

Aug 2012
Glad to see Asuna again. Decent episode, the ending was really predictable though.

Also, dat ass. Mmmhmm.
Aug 4, 2012 6:37 PM

Aug 2010
Kurogashi said:
Netto_Azure said:
ILove11 said:
WTF?
Since when Kirito isn't really famous as the Black Swordman and all this stuff?

It was mentioned in the Novels that middle-floor mostly hear rumors about "The Black Swordsman" only the Frontliners and other solo peepz know what he looks like.

Black IS a very common color after all

So does Asuna know how awesome Kirito is?

not really sure but i think she does
Aug 4, 2012 6:38 PM

Apr 2012
EdeseAyane said:
AlexGK said:

Could be, but it was really boring to me. Felt like a generic filler. And that IS bad in my book...

In fact, sex is probably better in SAO as they simulate the pleasure without the risks of HIV/AIDS or Pregnancy =P

:P jk ^
"You must be joking" -Gorobei
Aug 4, 2012 6:43 PM

Nov 2009
NNick said:
The Bottom Line, they're all terrible players, Koreans would have finished the game in few hours.

Exploit game, mechanics, AI, spawning, mobs = victory.

yeah in a game where death is permanent. Trying to use bugs in those high lvl dungeon
Pages (15) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

70 by Zimmu »»
Apr 21, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1445 by abahterunh »»
Apr 20, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

949 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 7:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.