Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 9, 2008 12:37 PM

Aug 2008
I was thinking if it's possible to implement some way of "rating" recommendations. Maybe something similar to helpful/not helpful in reviews. Why? Because most of recommendations doesn't make much/any sense.

For example recommendation like this: "Both main characters are not human" - wow, how original, tell me how many anime doesn't have non-human characters. Putting it aside guess what manga it was about. Chobits and Akuma Jiten. Similar as hell, right. And there is lot of worse recommendations but they can't be distinguished from good ones.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 9, 2008 12:54 PM
Sep 2007
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=13621

It was suggested and rejected before.
Oct 9, 2008 12:56 PM

Aug 2008
Dammit.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 9, 2008 3:35 PM

Jun 2007
Antanaru said:
Dammit.

I know how you feel, I to find pointless Recommendations annoying and wish there was a way to push them to the bottom of the list XD.
Oct 10, 2008 3:59 AM

Oct 2007
Or maybe users could mark them as spam (still viewable except to the one who marks it) and if there are like 100 or more such claims, recommendation would get deleted or hidden by default from all users?

Help the poor Ninja! Click Billy vs Snakeman link today!
Oct 10, 2008 5:27 AM

Feb 2008
Nobleman said:
Or maybe users could mark them as spam (still viewable except to the one who marks it) and if there are like 100 or more such claims, recommendation would get deleted or hidden by default from all users?
Another option would be to have a not helpful/helpful link on every recommendation, so that more helpful recommendations are displayed by default and when you click more recommendations the worst ones are at the bottom.

Also, there is a report link on recommendations now, so that's always an option for really bad ones.
Oct 10, 2008 5:46 AM

Jun 2008
I agree about the helpful/not helpful link desu.
Some recs are just stupid and wrote in a un-grammatical way.

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
Oct 10, 2008 6:46 AM

May 2007
Use the report button if the recommendations are extremely useless. That's what I do anyway.
Oct 10, 2008 8:39 PM

Jun 2007
vindemon64 said:
Use the report button if the recommendations are extremely useless. That's what I do anyway.

That only works when you have time to go through all 50+ reviews for a specific show :P. Try going to the Naruto anime page and taking a look at all the people recommending the sequal with crap reasons. "Its the sequel, you'll love it.
Oct 11, 2008 11:11 AM

Aug 2008
I like the idea of pushing useful/popular recs to the top, but not necessarily rating due to the subjectiveness. Many recs suffer from Mr. Obvious (if you liked this person’s nine other shoujo series, you’ll love the tenth!) to Mr. Oblivious (if you liked this person’s fluffy shoujo series, you’ll love their works in completely different genres, like a hardcore BL-fest!). Reporting wouldn’t be particularly appropriate here, but it would be nice to favor more obviously useful recs.
Oct 11, 2008 11:25 AM

Sep 2007
/creator of that rec

If you don't like how someone wrote a rec, you could always either report it or tell that person if he/she (I) wasn't that descriptive. We can edit them you know.

EDIT: I edited it but doubt it's any better. I didn't want to recommend something exactly similar but something those interested in it might enjoy too.

-
A helpful button would be nice though.
KuronoaOct 11, 2008 12:31 PM
Oct 11, 2008 11:31 AM
Aug 2007
kuroshiroi said:
Another option would be to have a not helpful/helpful link on every recommendation, so that more helpful recommendations are displayed by default and when you click more recommendations the worst ones are at the bottom.

I like this idea. I like it a lot. I hope it gets implemented, I already know some recs I want to say 'not helpful' to xD
Oct 17, 2008 7:39 PM

Feb 2008
I like this idea, seems pretty interesting and makes sense. But then the ratings would be based off of users and it might just be the same as it is now, many ppl will rate one anime and many will rate another higher.

Oct 25, 2008 5:13 PM

Mar 2008
In the other thread:
Xinil said:
Highly subjective...and I don't think very useful. If you agree, you should just write another recommendation for it.

I don't use the recommendations feature since I prefer to look at people's lists with similar compatibility ratings but basically you can tell what the most recommended anime are by the number of people who recommend it. It accomplished the same thing you guys are talking about. If there are bad recommendations there shouldn't be as many as the good ones.

Another site that does it the same way.
MAL vs Anime-Planet
Oct 25, 2008 10:38 PM

Jun 2007
quicksilver111 said:
In the other thread:
Xinil said:
Highly subjective...and I don't think very useful. If you agree, you should just write another recommendation for it.

I don't use the recommendations feature since I prefer to look at people's lists with similar compatibility ratings but basically you can tell what the most recommended anime are by the number of people who recommend it. It accomplished the same thing you guys are talking about. If there are bad recommendations there shouldn't be as many as the good ones.

MAL vs Anime-Planet

That assumes people know how to use the recommendation system. When your on a popular show's page, for example Naruto, your gonna have all that shows sequels and movies show up on the top of the recommendation page because people are dumb and recommend stuff like that. I call it the sheep effect. If one Narutard does it all 1.5 thousand of the others will too.
Oct 25, 2008 10:49 PM

Jun 2007
It would definitely be handy to have some sort of feature like that. It's pretty annoying when there are a bunch of crappy recommendations keeping others from being seen. Sequels and the like being recommended is silly, as is the, "both of these shows are about a girl with special powers"..... wtf? I can't stand when people make recommendations off of such general/bland things.

It'd also be nice to see there be a rule about when one can be made. People should NOT be able to make them for new series when only one episode is out... at least half should have to be out. There's no way to tell if a series will be like what you recommend after only one episode.
Oct 26, 2008 12:12 AM

Mar 2008
DeathfireD said:
quicksilver111 said:
In the other thread:
Xinil said:

MAL vs Anime-Planet

That assumes people know how to use the recommendation system. When your on a popular show's page, for example Naruto, your gonna have all that shows sequels and movies show up on the top of the recommendation page because people are dumb and recommend stuff like that. I call it the sheep effect. If one Narutard does it all 1.5 thousand of the others will too.

On Naruto's User Recommendations Page I see 24 total recommendations for Bleach, 8 for Hunter x Hunter, 7 for One Piece, 5 for D.Gray-man, 4 for Soul Eater, etc.
I didn't see any sequels on the list. I don't think sequels should be allowed for recommendations since you can already find them through the show's main page.

It's too bad so many users will write horrible reviews and poor recommendations. It could really be useful but I guess we're part of the problem. Most people, myself included don't care to make recommendations. On such a popular show's page as Naruto there are only a total of 77 out of 33,973 members who bothered to write them.
Nov 16, 2008 9:57 AM

Aug 2008
Bump. There is more, and more crappy recs every time I check panel and reporting them doesn't help at all. Even mod approval requirement would be better than no control over this flood of spam.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Nov 18, 2008 8:10 AM
Nov 2008
I agree. Ratings and mod approval are probably too complicated/too time-consuming to implement. We don't want to put more work than necessary on the mods. ^^; However, a helpful/unhelpful button like they have on other sites (ie. mangaupdates) might be more useful and easier to implement?
Nov 18, 2008 8:12 AM

Aug 2007
Reporting the REC will only work if the recommendation has innapropriate content, not because you don't think it fits.

AaranaNov 18, 2008 8:29 AM

Nov 18, 2008 8:29 AM

Jun 2007
quicksilver111 said:
DeathfireD said:
quicksilver111 said:
In the other thread:
Xinil said:

MAL vs Anime-Planet

On Naruto's User Recommendations Page I see 24 total recommendations for Bleach, 8 for Hunter x Hunter, 7 for One Piece, 5 for D.Gray-man, 4 for Soul Eater, etc.
I didn't see any sequels on the list. I don't think sequels should be allowed for recommendations since you can already find them through the show's main page.

It's too bad so many users will write horrible reviews and poor recommendations. It could really be useful but I guess we're part of the problem. Most people, myself included don't care to make recommendations. On such a popular show's page as Naruto there are only a total of 77 out of 33,973 members who bothered to write them.

That's because I've complained so many times to the mods. A few months ago there used to be Naruto shippuden and several of it's movies listed. Unfortunately this still happens on almost all shows.

I don't think sequels should be allowed for recommendations since you can already find them through the show's main page.

That's what we've been saying from the start! Xinil, for some reason, thinks it's fine to allow it...why? I have no idea.
Nov 18, 2008 9:26 PM

Feb 2008
Wait, so if you liked Naruto part 1, there shouldn't be something that points to part 2? Why not? If you liked part 1, you might like part 2 as well, which in essence is a reccomendation. There are some sequels I definitly don't reccomend versus the first though and some which ARE worth watching, I think them being reccomended, and more users reccomending them, would help distinguish between them.

Nov 19, 2008 6:11 AM

May 2007
Probably I've posted in the other thread as well, but there is nothing to stop me posting here. Recommending Naruto Shippuuden for Naruto is plain stupid. Everybody knows that they'll like Shippuuden if they liked Naruto. While not allowing sequels as recommendations can be a solution, it brings a new problem: What about sequels like FMP Fumoffu which have no connection to the real storyline? They should be prequel-recommendable IMO.
Nov 19, 2008 12:19 PM

Feb 2008
There will always be exceptions. Recommending most sequels achieves nothing and wastes everybody's space, energy and time.

That being said, I thought sequel/prequel recommandations weren't allowed anyway?
My Recommendations said:
Tip: Don't recommend sequels or other related series
I've been reporting a few such recs I've seen and I think most (if not all) of them were removed.

More topics from this board

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM

» Users who haven't finished an anime should be restricted on rating it

Thruddingsfly - Feb 15

39 by 3miL »»
Apr 14, 11:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.