3It was OK
6.3%
2Disliked it
2.6%
1Hated it
1.1%
Average 4.5
190 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2008 2:15 AM

Mar 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
we finally get to see what Usopp and Robin have been doing all this time. I really hate Usopp. He's always so noisy, rash, impatient, stupid, and annoying. Its obvious he's only there for comic relief. They should keep him as that. Watching him try to take initiative or fight an actual battle is always disappointing because we already know the outcome: he'll find some "crazy" way of beating or winning the battle. And dont get me started on that goddamn face of his...

...its a shame Robin is stuck with this loser. At least he's finally caught. God sometimes i put the mute on when his stupid monkey lips keep flapping for so long.

At least with Luffy, its a pain to see him do his comedy bits but at the very least, they're laugh out loud situations.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Jan 22, 2009 6:01 AM

Sep 2008
the most awesome thing about ussop is his attacks like ussop noise lol but still enjoyable episode.
Oct 30, 2009 10:07 PM

May 2008
darth_lex said:
the most awesome thing about ussop is his attacks like ussop noise lol but still enjoyable episode.
Also Usopp Spell,Usopp rubber band

Cool episode,
...so game begins now.
Jan 4, 2010 6:22 AM

Oct 2008
Yeah Usopp is pretty annoying..

But that commander is pretty smart.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jan 11, 2010 8:03 PM

May 2008
Ranivus said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
we finally get to see what Usopp and Robin have been doing all this time. I really hate Usopp. He's always so noisy, rash, impatient, stupid, and annoying. Its obvious he's only there for comic relief. They should keep him as that. Watching him try to take initiative or fight an actual battle is always disappointing because we already know the outcome: he'll find some "crazy" way of beating or winning the battle. And dont get me started on that goddamn face of his...

...its a shame Robin is stuck with this loser. At least he's finally caught. God sometimes i put the mute on when his stupid monkey lips keep flapping for so long.

At least with Luffy, its a pain to see him do his comedy bits but at the very least, they're laugh out loud situations.

Whats annoying is the ppl that hate Usopp,whats wrong with a guy being noisy, almost the whole crew is like that, and Usopp is definitely not a stupid guy, in fact he saved the crew in many occasions thx to his quick thinking, a coward he may be but he will stay true to his friends.Biased against ugly ppl ehh, sad fact there are ppl like this, thats why they need to hear about the story of the ugly duckling.And can you actually blame a guy who is totally weak to find another way to protect himself other den lying?

TechDragon said:
darth_lex said:
Also Usopp Spell,Usopp rubber band

Cool episode,
...so game begins now.

Usopp 5-ton Hammer!

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 23, 2010 7:35 PM

Jul 2009
HAHA great episode. Finally some Usopp and Robin.

5/5
Dec 18, 2010 5:24 PM

May 2010
usopp is brilliant for me.. stop with the negativity :-P
Mar 30, 2011 9:03 PM

Jun 2009
You know, I've always found Usopp to be an interesting character. He's a coward, and he knows it, and yet he still comes through in the clutch. Anybody who says he is merely comedy relief obviously hasn't been paying attention throughout the show.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 30, 2011 9:47 PM

Jul 2007
insan3soldiern said:
You know, I've always found Usopp to be an interesting character. He's a coward, and he knows it, and yet he still comes through in the clutch. Anybody who says he is merely comedy relief obviously hasn't been paying attention throughout the show.

Well said

Jun 3, 2011 1:18 PM

May 2010
I agree with the usopp haters. He's pretty annoying no matter how you look at it...
“Money can't buy dere”
Jul 4, 2011 4:35 AM

Aug 2010
insan3soldiern said:

You took the words right out of my mouth
Mar 4, 2012 10:47 AM

Jul 2011
Ranivus said:
Watching him try to take initiative or fight an actual battle is always disappointing because we already know the outcome: he'll find some "crazy" way of beating or winning the battle.

so he's just like every other straw hat then? Ussop is a great character and is clearly more than comedy relief, pay more attention pal.

Anyway I thought Robin looked cool in those shades haha
Apr 6, 2012 11:33 AM

Mar 2012
FUCK THE OP
USOPP IS THE BEST HES A NORMAL HUMAN BEING YET TRIES HIS BEST TO BE ON PAR WITH THESE MONSTROUS PEOPLE WITH CRAZY POWERS
HIM AND NAMI ARE THE MOST RELATABLE CHARACTERS BECAUSE THEY USE THEIR IT AND BRAINPOWER TO WIN A BATTLE
SO IF YOU WANT TO SEE SOME CLICHE OVERPOWERED BATTLES FUCK OFF AND WATCH DRAGONBALLZ OR SOME SHIT LIKE THAT BITCH
Jul 27, 2012 9:01 AM

Sep 2009
LOL the OP is a troll. I pity him.
Sep 23, 2012 7:21 AM

Mar 2010
the commander is pretty chil to just let them go like that..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 28, 2012 4:36 PM

Oct 2010
insan3soldiern said:

Oh, this. Also the main objective of this character is to become a brave fighter, of course he has to start being a coward. But apart from this there are several points, like his -very rooted- concept of nakama and his loyalty to Going Merry that I can see as points of very interesting character development in the future. Not to mention his engineering and ballistics abilities. The OP just went too troll for poor Usopp xD

Great episode and awesome ending.
Nov 9, 2012 8:24 PM

Aug 2012
this is getting really good and suspenseful. really good filler. Probably the best filler i've seen in a shounen so far. Usopp had me crying from laughter this episode. that was one probably one of his funniest scenes yet, lol.
Dec 31, 2012 4:51 PM

Apr 2012
god this filler arc is way good... even through all the comedy, we've still got some good intense scenes and i actually kind of like the antagonist in this one. he plays safe and smart. excited to see what will become of them and how luffy will get out of this one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 13, 2013 1:47 AM

May 2012
Sheesh, not much love for Usopp in this post is there? But I get the feeling we may have some trolls lurking...

I really enjoy Usopp's character. As other people have said, he's relatable and different. A crew full of strong pirates with no room for character development is boring. Like Nami and Chopper, too, it'll be very interesting to see how his character changes over the course of the series.

And Usopp may be obvious when it comes to his foolish traits and the fact he always seems to come out smelling of roses in the end, but its true for the stronger characters, too. They often end up humbled by their own weaknesses and their character development is far more subtle. There's nothing wrong character development sticking out as plain as the nose on Usopp's face!
Feb 20, 2014 7:00 PM

Mar 2008
Ranivus said:

Eh, really? I find Luffy a lot more annoying than Usopp and his outrageous situations make me sigh rather than lol.
And all the traits you described Usopp fits Luffy as well so I don't get where your hatred's coming from.
Jul 10, 2014 2:10 AM

Oct 2013
This is going to be a good filler arc.

Jul 31, 2015 2:06 AM

Jan 2014
This commandant is really cool and smart.
It was funny to see Usopp doing his thing.
He's improving little by little, yay :3
And Robin...
I wonder if there's something she can do.
Sep 14, 2015 12:45 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
its all beginning now!

Apr 6, 2016 7:01 AM

Mar 2014
Man, this arc has had some really nicely animated moments.

Such as that moment a few episodes ago when Zoro jumped into the water and got caught, or this episode when Robin wrapped Usopp around the tree with her arms. Or when Luffy was stealing all of the food. The backgrounds here also look better than usual.
Seems like they're putting a lot of money into this, despite it being a filler arc.

The story also seems to be interesting. This is probably my favorite filler arc yet.
::End of Transmission::

Apr 6, 2016 3:01 PM

Jun 2015
Usopp was hilarious he always put some comedy on the episodes
Jul 17, 2016 6:19 AM

Mar 2015
This has been a really fun arc so far, Usopp's nonsense was hilarious and Robin looks incredibly hot here
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 15, 2017 6:23 AM

Dec 2016
Why Usopp never get no love from da watchers!!??
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Feb 16, 2017 7:33 PM

May 2014
Turns out Robin is pretty much a master of infiltration- if she were alone, I'm sure she could easily connive her way out of the current dilemma. She'd make a great ninja!!

And who knew that Usopp's bullshitting could actually (nearly) come in handy?!

Lol and Luffy stealing the Commander's food and still eating throughout the entire interrogation. Speaking of, I just found it funny af when it's revealed that Jessica is the Commander's wife- she forced him to eat his veggies oml XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 2017 9:35 PM

Mar 2012
I freaking love how Robin just denied knowing who Usopp was xD
Feb 5, 2018 4:43 AM
Jan 2018
Usop is good, stop flame him.
Apr 2, 2018 2:52 PM

Aug 2017
Man, I'm really starting to like this arc
I like how lately they've shown the team spilt up so we see small stories on each groups view (Luffy and Sanji, Chopper and Nami, Ussop and Robin) Some good character development right there.
Lol this show has made Ussop so well. Never thought I'd like a coward personality character until I met him.
Robin be lookin fine in that uniform XD
VARIAchan said:

But that commander is pretty smart.

He's pretty cool. Not quite Smoker cool but cool :D
FancyTunaRamen9Apr 2, 2018 2:58 PM
May 23, 2018 1:46 PM

Jun 2017
Usopp is jokes man he tried to whatever he can to not get caught xD.
CHECK OUT YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR GREATNESS : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjBB704NbCItpMA7VhSQmQg
May 27, 2018 1:25 PM

Jun 2016
I didn't expect to love this arc as much as I am! It's something we've never really gotten before. An organic, comfortably paced, simple, comedy-centric but also engaging arc. It's a perfect break from Skypiea, and I may actually like it more then Skypiea as a whole, although I admit it doesn't have the peaks Skypiea did.

The three stand out moments for me were:
Luffy's encounters with the commander. I thought they were hilarious and they encapsulated what I love about Luffy. The casual demeaner in that he talked to the commander, eating his food, bartering for more, and telling him that he's going to leave whenever. I loved his honestly telling the commander that he fell from the sky, but he's pretty grateful because of the food. And I loved how he ran away from the commander shouting to him "see you later fortress guy!". I do think he got overly angry when he heard Zoro got caught. It may be a nitpick however Luffy has the utmost trust in Zoro so to get angry and announce that he needs to rescue him on the spot instead of casually being like "so what, you can't do anything to Zoro, also I'm going to save him" threw me off a bit.

I loved seeing Robin's amazing infiltraton skills and her new design with the sun glasses. She was as brutal as ever getting the inspectors outfit and she marched into the commanders room with confidence playing the part. It's cool to see her skills on display like this.

Lastly, Usopp was magnificent in this episode. His scenes where he was dressed as a navy soldier were perfect. The way he cowered and mumbled "it's a secret" to the commander before hearing something he could latch onto and coming out claiming that he's the captain inspector, going as far to threaten Drake was hilarious. It was hilarious as did it show his amazing survivial instincts and wits and acting skills. Never change Usopp, unless it's in the direction of being that brave warrior you want to be that is.
Ston3_FreeN7 said:

I'm so glad everyone else said this so I didn't have to. He's one of my favorite characters. He is a coward who pushes himself to act couragously. His end goal is to be a brave warrior and he's always aiming for that. We can see it in his development. In Arlong arc he left Zoro behind and almost left big lips to beat up his friends. In Skypiea he tried to save Nami, and jumped off the ship to put dials on it, and a myriad of other things without hessitation. He's grown to cherish the Straw Hats like he once cherished Kaya and the Usopp pirates, and he has become so much braver over the course of the story. He's one of the best One Piece characters and he gets so much love from the writing. It's also refreshing to have characters that need will power, smarts, and tricks to win fights rather than raw power(looking at Zoro, Sanji, and Luffy although that is overly exagerated). Usopp is easily my favorite character when he's at his best, and one of my favorites behind Luffy when he's acting normally. His best is fights like big lips or his fight with Chopper against Mr.4 and the mole lady. I started this by saying I'm glad I didn't have to say it, but I guess I was so triggered I wanted to say it anyways. Glad to see Usopp love.
Apr 22, 2020 11:20 AM

Nov 2018
OiAaron said:
FUCK THE OP
USOPP IS THE BEST HES A NORMAL HUMAN BEING YET TRIES HIS BEST TO BE ON PAR WITH THESE MONSTROUS PEOPLE WITH CRAZY POWERS
HIM AND NAMI ARE THE MOST RELATABLE CHARACTERS BECAUSE THEY USE THEIR IT AND BRAINPOWER TO WIN A BATTLE
SO IF YOU WANT TO SEE SOME CLICHE OVERPOWERED BATTLES FUCK OFF AND WATCH DRAGONBALLZ OR SOME SHIT LIKE THAT BITCH

I totally agree with your opinion about Usopp and Nami. I have always admired the fact that even they don't have insane powers, they do their best in the same crazy situations as their monstrous comrades.

I don't find Usopp a coward. Nor Nami. They are normal people with a very sane survival instinct. And we should not forget that there are many occasions when Luffy, Zorro and Sanji get saved by Nami and Usopp.

I really appreciate that Luffy's crew has such normal people in it. It makes both the crew and the story more fun.
"The me today will not ever make the future me to regret!"
(Emily Adachi from Air Gear: Kuro no Hane to Nemuri no Mori - Break on the Sky)

Apr 22, 2020 11:23 AM

Nov 2018
Rasco said:
the commander is pretty chil to just let them go like that..

I think he is very curious about them. then again, I think he is pretty clever to have realized that as impredictable as this crew is he should rather not hurry up to capture them, because he just might loose them.
It' s like when you catch a fish, if you hold it to tight it slips right through your fingers.

Apr 22, 2020 11:27 AM

Nov 2018
Miss-Scarlett said:
Sheesh, not much love for Usopp in this post is there? But I get the feeling we may have some trolls lurking...

I really enjoy Usopp's character. As other people have said, he's relatable and different. A crew full of strong pirates with no room for character development is boring. Like Nami and Chopper, too, it'll be very interesting to see how his character changes over the course of the series.

And Usopp may be obvious when it comes to his foolish traits and the fact he always seems to come out smelling of roses in the end, but its true for the stronger characters, too. They often end up humbled by their own weaknesses and their character development is far more subtle. There's nothing wrong character development sticking out as plain as the nose on Usopp's face!

Good point in mentioning Chopper as well. And very nice how you described the differences in the characters' development.

Apr 22, 2020 11:35 AM

Nov 2018
Strawberrycake48 said:
Turns out Robin is pretty much a master of infiltration- if she were alone, I'm sure she could easily connive her way out of the current dilemma. She'd make a great ninja!!

She also said it. She said that she could easily had herself gotten away, but she was somehow driven to keep investigating.

Apr 22, 2020 11:46 AM

Nov 2018
I really did enjoy greatly your full comment. If I haven't seen the episode, or I haven't watched One Piece and I have stumbled by accident on your comment here, I would have most certainly been won over to watch it.

However it's this fragment of your comment that particularly have drawn my attention.

gfsdfgsdgsdfgs said:

The three stand out moments for me were:
Luffy's encounters with the commander. I thought they were hilarious and they encapsulated what I love about Luffy. The casual demeaner in that he talked to the commander, eating his food, bartering for more, and telling him that he's going to leave whenever. I loved his honestly telling the commander that he fell from the sky, but he's pretty grateful because of the food. And I loved how he ran away from the commander shouting to him "see you later fortress guy!". I do think he got overly angry when he heard Zoro got caught. It may be a nitpick however Luffy has the utmost trust in Zoro so to get angry and announce that he needs to rescue him on the spot instead of casually being like "so what, you can't do anything to Zoro, also I'm going to save him" threw me off a bit.

I think that what makes Luffy be like that is that, somehow he feels very free and at ease in any place, just as if the whole world, or, in this case, the whole Grand Line would be his playground. I feel that there grows a lot of strength in a man that feels this way and when I think about this I really envy Luffy.

Apr 30, 2020 5:18 AM

May 2016
So this is the part where everything starts going wrong, hm. The main reason why everyone in this episode was discovered because of Commander Jonathan so it looks like they definitely shouldn't underestimate him. He's definitely more dangerous than the usual Marine Captain that's just all brawn and no brain. Luffy's lack of sense of tension definitely makes for some great entertainment though~

I liked seeing them all in Marine garb though. It's like I had a peek at an alternate universe where they'd work as pirate hunters themselves.

Nov 9, 2020 2:45 PM

May 2019
Usopp is a great character, I can’t understand people who hate him. Usopp rubber band of doom xD
Dec 18, 2020 5:11 PM
May 2019
They all did a very good job, but they all lost their jobs as well.
It's interesting how they were all liked among the communities they joined, but now everyone is looking for them only because they are the straw hat pirates.

I'm sure Luffy would have gotten away if he hadn't taken the meatballs. But the face that Sanji made the moment he realized that Jessica was the chief's wife was a priceless sight.

Usop performed well and ... not so well. The good thing is that at least he knows the location of the ship, which I'm sure will help them escape. But, hahaha, when he introduced himself as the inspector, I thought for a moment that he would get away, but I think Robin did well to send him to Zoro. Only I don't understand how the others found out that Robin wasn't the inspector? I highly doubt she left that body there. She is not stupid.

Anyway. Luffy has already started searching for his crew at full speed and I am sure that very soon everyone will be together again.

May 16, 2021 4:51 AM

Jun 2019
Oh boy... everyone has been exposed.
May 30, 2022 3:19 PM

Jan 2021
Captain Usopp almost finessed them into thinking he was the inspector he was quick too with no hesitation he played the role of an undercover inspector and bro Luffy kept eating the commanders food like it was nothing serious
Jun 23, 2022 3:26 PM

Apr 2020
Luffy =)))) This amount of stupidity is really funny!
Jul 11, 2022 12:29 PM
Feb 2022
El comandante es un hombre listo, y resulta que es el esposo de Jessica. Pero los sombreros de paja siempre salen adelante, y esta vez no será la excepción.
Jul 18, 2022 9:48 AM

Oct 2019
Despite Usopp trying his best, he still got captured xD
Nov 2, 2022 1:24 AM
Feb 2021
very funny episode
Feb 25, 2023 10:52 PM

Dec 2022
oh my god i was already chuckling pretty good and then when Robin walked in i lost it
Apr 28, 2023 5:41 AM
Oct 2019
the commander was just chilling lol
Mar 29, 8:15 AM
Oct 2022
I cannot stop thinking about Robin's drip in this episode. Gosh, she's such a beautiful woman.

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Oct 8, 2009

51 by Avsar_Gazozu »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion

phantom346 - Apr 14

10 by HilariousPerson »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 151 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veethorn - Oct 11, 2009

94 by kejora »»
4 hours ago

» One Piece Hindi Dubbed starting May 5th for Indian Audiences

PirateHasan - 4 hours ago

0 by PirateHasan »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 367 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Lofoc - Aug 24, 2008

73 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.