Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 9, 2007 9:57 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not much to say here other than they got really, really lucky. I guess the pilot in the other mech just had enough of it all but decided to go one step further than Kirie. Looks like next episode is going to be some pep talks to give Kirie some purpose to fight and keep everyone alive.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Sep 9, 2007 10:13 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Great episode, my theory is still working out as well ^^. The enemy probably represented Kirie's mother and a bit of himself as well. His mother tried to kill herself in which the 'enemy' robot succeeded and Kirie didn't want to fight at all either. The human shape is self-explanatory. The fact that you don't die if you don't send any of your life force is rather obvious, it has clevely been hidden so far though. That's another plus for the show ^^.

Though I wonder if the next enemy is going to resemble the hypothetically next pilot or if it's going to have a relation to Kirie again.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 9, 2007 11:34 AM

Oct 2006
I've started to doubt the theory ever since we knew for sure the other mechas were also piloted by people a came from parallel worlds. It's doesn't seem logical that Zearth's enemies would have something to do with Zearth's current pilot. Coz if so, Zearth should have to have some common aspect with each different mecha (with the pilot) he fought . I dunno, seems like a really long shot now. Unless there's some other fact we're not aware just yet.

As for the episode in it self, it was chocking again. I really wanna start reading the manga once the show finishes, since I get the felling that the manga is even more crude in some aspects.
The life force bit is interesting. But they can expect another enemy will commit suicide. But maybe there's a key for survival in this... we'll see.

*goes watch episode 16*
KayrhandrosSep 9, 2007 4:53 PM
Sep 9, 2007 12:51 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I know why you doubt it, but I'll simply blame it on the complexity of the whole set up. Alien technologie, parallel dimensions and similar worlds, the whole thing is a completed story after all. I'll keep clinging to it. :D

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 9, 2007 4:54 PM

Oct 2006
Well, maybe time will prove me wrong for doubting.. we'll see :).
Need more eps, more eps! :P
Sep 10, 2007 1:20 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Kayrhandros said:

The Triad said the next release should be within a week. :)

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 10, 2007 4:01 AM

Oct 2006
cyruz said:
Kayrhandros said:

The Triad said the next release should be within a week. :)
That's awesome :)
Oct 5, 2007 4:24 AM

Apr 2007
Just watched, and damn how lucky were they. Cool ep, and now i go to watch the next one!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 21, 2008 7:41 PM
Oct 2007
Lmao, epic episode..

I know I shouldn't be laughing but Kirie is absolute ownge..
"Mom? What are you doing cutting your wrists, and not the sweet jelly bean?"
I'll never get over that xD..
Apologies for my rudeness but can't help it..

Anyways, he's one damn lucky guy indeed.. Just when he thought of not doing anything, his enemy kills himself.. Omg haha.. And just when he manages to stay alive, he just keeps that straight face.. Not even a "Wooo i'm alive!" reaction, hehe..

Oh man, that was nice.. That was really something.. xD
Sep 4, 2008 5:36 PM

Dec 2007
As I thought it seems that naturally the fewer pilots there are the more mentally unstable they would become. The enemy had only five lights remaining on it's mask, in the same way that Kirie did the pilot must have had so much of a mental burden that he/she just couldn't except the fact that he/she would be putting an end to a world he/she didn't know so he decided to let his/her universe be destroyed instead. It was rather selfish of Kirie to decide to let the world die because he didn't like it, he should've at least covered himself by saying that he didn't want to put an end to the world of someone else.

#NBHNC
Jul 10, 2009 4:42 PM

Dec 2008
^I remember seeing 4 remaining lights only.

Kiefferdenn said:
Lmao, epic episode..

I know I shouldn't be laughing but Kirie is absolute ownge..
"Mom? What are you doing cutting your wrists, and not the sweet jelly bean?"
I'll never get over that xD..
Apologies for my rudeness but can't help it..

I couldn't believe it either; when Kirie went downstairs, and you saw the bloody knife, I first thought "Oh, you can cut your jelly things now!", and he followed up with "Mom? What are you doing cutting your wrists, and not the sweet bean jelly?"
I was almost on the floor; Jun's reaction was more normal though, although most people would have probably gone crazy on Kirie instead.

This episode really expressed how the selfish decisions by the rider can decide the fate of an entire world; the other team's rider had gone over the limit, and just couldn't take it. Kirie-kun isn't to that point yet, but I hope it makes him think:
Maybe the world he's in, isn't the worst off. He only said "I won't move", he wasn't pushed to suicide to end the world. The other rider was in a far worst condition, which is worsened with the mental stress and burden from being in the Black Behemoths.

This anime won't stop getting better; it's too good, oh god.
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Jan 27, 2011 4:23 PM

Mar 2009
Winning without fighting eh.
Mar 31, 2011 1:49 PM

Oct 2009
I laughed at his line about the knife too. Sounded so awkward.

But damn, the other pilot killed himself...
I hate Dung Beetle, mocking Kirie about how he was happy for a few seconds.

I bet next episode somebody convinces Kirie to fight.
Oct 29, 2011 9:56 PM

Apr 2011
Dung Beetle is a little asshole, I hope somone puts a bullet in his little stuffed-animal body at least, though I doubt that's his true form and killing it would do nothing more than inconvenience him. The robots do seem to have a connection to the pilots, though yes, it makes little sense that Zearth also represents something abt the enemy pilot (and maybe not the same thing every time).

THe line about the knife was very awkward, LOL, but gave us more insight into this quiet kid than anything so far. I'm glad he got another episode or two to develop his character before he gives up his life-force to fight. That was pretty amazing, watching the enemy mecha rip open its chest-plate (in a move that seemed to homage the end of Diebuster) and destroy its own cockpit. I wonder if that was a group decision by their pilots not to destroy any more Earths, or if the other pilots were screaming at him/her to fight like they were at Kirie.
Apr 13, 2012 12:31 PM
Mar 2012
Weird episode. There was a LOT of stilted dialogue this episode (not just Kirie's). I'm not sure I'm a fan of the new brother character. The battle was... interesting, to say the least. I feel bad for poor Kirie.

3/5.
Nov 25, 2012 6:00 PM
Nov 2012
"Mom! Why are you cutting your wrist, and not the sweet bean jelly?!"
So um. Yeah.
"..." Basically sums up my thoughts on the episode.
Mar 13, 2013 8:54 PM

Aug 2012
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Apr 29, 2013 5:51 PM

Jan 2013
There must be other versions of the Dung Beatle in the other robots.
It seems unfair that some universe get weaker robots to fight in.
Sep 17, 2013 2:08 PM

Oct 2011
am I the only one who feel bad for Kirie? His story is really sad...
Mar 4, 2014 12:16 PM

May 2012
Pretty gloomy and depressive episode although on the other side with this new character it sure made it a bit more fun and well the mother of Ushiro seems to be Miho or at least that was implied in this episode!
Jun 9, 2014 8:11 PM
Oct 2013
No one has mentioned it in this forum yet but is it safe to assume that since the enemy destroyed itself this time around, and Kirie didn't fight, that another pilot is now safe...? I know they said there would be 15 enemies and technically Kirie will pilot 2 battles meaning one person has been saved from the contract...? If that is the case I want either Ushio or Kanji to be saved, assuming he isn't the one without a contract.

And man I hate to say it but Kirie really did get lucky. He got to see the consequences of his choice without having to experience it. seeing the other pilot kill themselves will probably move him to fight the next time...
TokyoCrazyPXDJun 9, 2014 8:16 PM
Aug 11, 2014 2:55 PM
Feb 2013
Okay, that happened. I got nothing.
Jan 24, 2015 9:24 PM
Apr 2013
Wow, unexpected episode.
I thought Kirie's mother was acting weird because she knew her son would die, but then that would imply he told her everything, and hardly any adults that didn't have any proof of the situation believe the kids. Also when she was on the floor, I thought for sure she was dead.

Kirie was pretty selfish, but he really had nothing to fight for. His life was a mess, he never seemed like he believed in himself anyway, so why would he fight?

It's impossible not to think of Kirie's mother when we see the enemy. She cut her wrist, the machine pratically opened his arm like cuts, she tried to suicide herself and the mecha succeded. Now, as for the theory that the mechas have something with each pilot, I don't think that's too hard to believe in... There are infinite multiverses. If all Earths started out the same way, then there could be two Kirie's in different universes. Not the same Kirie, but a different Kirie allthogether. For instance, this Kirie decided not to fight; the other pilot, a possible Kirie, suiceded himself, creating a situation where it resembled Kirie's own life.

This subject is awesome.
May 7, 2016 12:15 AM

Mar 2016
I'm guessing most people thought we would get the {pilot chosen, backstory,fight, death} formula like I was?
At least this show isn't very predictable?
Jan 11, 2017 1:29 PM
Aug 2014
That was a fairly light-hearted episode for this show, with only one suicide and a suicide attempt. Damn this show is bleak. Maybe Kirie could ask the government to pull some favours and at least get his mom employed again.
Apr 1, 2017 3:28 PM
Jan 2012
I wonder what kind of shit the pilot from the other mecha has gone through to put an end to their life as well as the lives of everyone of their Earth. Too bad we are unlikely to know that.

We will be finally getting Kirie's backstory, I suppose.
Aug 13, 2017 8:59 PM
Mar 2016
Mom? What are you doing cutting your wrists, and not the sweet bean jelly?
^^i fucking cried. that was the funniest shit ever oh my god i love this show
Jan 8, 2021 7:43 PM
Jan 2016
First off, the animation in this episode was really mediocre for some reason. I recall episode 7 being rather bad too, although the storyline was so intense there I didn't mind it.

So Kirie's turn is up, he's the one I've always kinda considered the "loser" and his episode pretty much proves that; the other kids usually get an entire episode filled with development while he got more like 2-3 minutes. His family life sucks, he sucks so much as a son his mom tries to kill herself (alright, not really but couldn't resist going there). His personality is as interesting as watching paint dry. Of course this means he is the first kid to actually survive the battle alive, although I was glad to hear he'll be forced to fight again next time. Although getting another fight/episode with him is not something I'm looking forward to.

Oh, and fighting Kirie sucks so much that the opponent literally kills itself rather than do it.

New guy Tamotsu reminds me much of Futagami from RahXephon, this very outgoing friendly guy who just wanders in from the outside and seemingly tries to be chums with everyone right away.
Oct 11, 2021 5:58 AM

Jul 2016
all i can think about saying is: what the fk?

so yeah what the fk

i seriously wish we got a chance to see the other pilot's most likely cacophonious cockpit fight, because there were at least five lights lit on the engravings. if kirie's somewhat suicide by forfeit was any indicator, i doubt everyone in the other robot was accepting it readily either. isn't it kind of dangerous to allow one pilot the power to indirectly cause the end of their whole world. i mean, imagine one nihilistic guy signs up for the contract and near the end it's his turn. what is he gonna do? that's right, bend humanity's stomach over a longinus spear. and he'd want to.

the "mom, instead of cutting the yōkan, what do you think you're doing cutting your wrists?" (it sounds more long-winded in english...) reminds me of the scene from inuyashiki where she asks him if her father and little brother are dead too and he just goes, "what does that matter? we were talking about one piece." hella funny that he handed the sweet over as if it was a gift rather than to be eaten now hahaha.

anyways, chubby was lucky this time. i assume he's going to be convinced to fight or gain a new sense of salvation from further encounters with the rest of the pilots.
Aug 28, 2022 11:38 PM

Oct 2019
this was definitely an episode. Surprised by the enemy pilot tho. It makes sense but still shocking.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 16 Discussion

tainteddonut - Sep 9, 2007

33 by Crispydang »»
Mar 30, 2:44 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Oct 18, 2007

121 by Db_kamal »»
Oct 3, 2023 9:51 AM

» Bokurano Director Dislikes The Manga

tainteddonut - Jun 14, 2007

10 by trampler8324 »»
Sep 27, 2023 2:30 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 23 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 18, 2007

33 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 6, 2023 11:09 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 20 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 3, 2007

28 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 6, 2023 8:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.