Forum Settings
Forums
Wolf Children: Ame & Yuki
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 24, 2012 1:48 AM
Nov 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I saw the movie 2 days ago and I highly recommend it! If you enjoyed Summer Wars and Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, then you'll be happy to see Madhouse studio's best work to date.

I was particularly impressed by the artwork put into the weather especially the raindrops. I couldn't stop staring enough!

The transformation scenes were cute and it really shows how wonderful life can be in rural Japan :)

I also wrote a review on it, but its my first anime movie review, and I was wondering if I should add any more or less details to it. There may be minor spoilers.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/12355/Ookami_Kodomo_no_Ame_to_Yuki
gtr06Jul 24, 2012 8:10 PM
Aug 10, 2012 5:33 AM

Jun 2011
Premiered in Taiwan today. I was so glad to have the chance to watch it.

I must say, it was a great movie. It was funny and touching. I had great sound and animation. There was a portion of the movie without voice acting. I thought it delivered quite well. The most memorable part for me was when Yuki and Ame were running through snow in the woods.

How do you raise wolf children? As humans or wolves? The story largely focused on this topic; it is where the humor is. Do you go see a doctor or a vet? Will you become a human or a wolf. Yuki and Ame are contrasts to each other. The movie really shows their development and changes.

I'm not going to give anymore details (no spoilers!) =P
Awaits for the BD to add images...
Sep 6, 2012 9:28 AM
Mar 2011
watched it today in cinema.. It was rather good.. Bringing out quite a number of emotions.. Watching it reminded me of inuyasha, who father was a dog demon and mum was a human.
Sep 10, 2012 5:06 PM

Feb 2010

Loved this ost.
Sep 15, 2012 8:33 AM

Jun 2011
Watched it today. Have to say, it was really well done. I like the story of how Hana met Ookami and how they finally ended up together. However the part where Ookami dies really puzzles me as they did not explained what he did and he even left his wallet in the shopping bag, as if he knew that he was going to die.

Yuki was really cute and funny as a child. Loved her laughter so much. The scene where Hana was debating whether to send her to a family clinic or a vet was hilarious.

Ame was sooo cute as a small child that u just wanna protect him.

The part where they moved and how Hana tried to tidy up the house and grow crops with the help of the kind villagers was really well done. I really like how kind all the villagers are to her.

When Yuki found out she was somewhat different from the rest of her classmates was also hilarious, especially the part where she had her box of bones while the rest had box of jewelries.

However i kinda hate the ending. Dont get me wrong, i think the ending was great but they were just some parts i hate which i cant really describe it well in words. Like how Ame chose to leave his family and be a lone wolf, how Yukijust continued being human as if nothing has happened.

for some reason i kinda hate Sohei, dont know why.

Overall a good movie which really felt longer than what was the actual time of the movie to me but due to me hating some parts of this movie for some reason, im going to give it 9/10
Sep 16, 2012 10:22 PM

Jul 2009
My biggest problem on the first viewing is that I don't know what the end-point of the story would be, so when it came up I wasn't ready for the "abrupt" ending. I do believe that it could be easily fixed with a second viewing.

Overall I really love the movie, one of the best SoL (as much as i don't like using this term) stories I'd seen. Everything is just so warm and cute, and most importantly made me love my parents more.
Sep 16, 2012 11:03 PM

Feb 2010
It has many memorable moments.

The lovely scene where Hana met up with her deceased husband, snuggling him and modestly play down all the hardships of bringing up two wolf children, something she had endured single-handedly. Also, the bitter-sweetness of Hana's smile, since she does it whenever she felt happy or sad, you can't tell whether the outcome is something she desired.

In the end, in a rather ironical fashion to their younger self, both of her children choose their own path differently and Hana had came to acceptance of their choice.
Sep 27, 2012 8:49 PM
Nov 2008
ArcanaTrace said:

However i kinda hate the ending. Dont get me wrong, i think the ending was great but they were just some parts i hate which i cant really describe it well in words. Like how Ame chose to leave his family and be a lone wolf...

I can understand why, because I felt something similar. Towards the end, I found myself being increasingly upset with Ame because it was getting clear that he was growing distant from his family. He fought with his sister, who once saved him from drowning and defended him from bullies at school. More upsetting, he had stopped talking to his mother, who had sacrificed so much for him.

I felt especially bad for Hana, because it's clear that, to her, Ame was the more precious of her two children. Yuki had always been able to take care of herself, while Ame was the one who demanded so much more of her attention. Moreover, I highly suspect that Hana saw a lot of her late husband in Ame, who had begun to look more and more like his father as he approached his teens.

So, it was somewhat heartbreaking to see Ame depart, because it seemed like a double loss for Hana.

But, you see, that's not how Hana sees it at all. She made many tough choices in her life, and one of them was to move to the countryside, where her children could make their own choices freely, without interference from the outside world. Ame's moving farewell to his mother makes it clear that he is not ungrateful. Even so, he had to leave, because the wild calls out to him, ever more urgently. Hana accepts this wholeheartedly, so, despite the sadness of parting, all is good.
Oct 2, 2012 8:19 AM

Oct 2008
ArcanaTrace said:
However the part where Ookami dies really puzzles me as they did not explained what he did and he even left his wallet in the shopping bag, as if he knew that he was going to die.

After he shopped for groceries, he left his wallet there as he was going to change into a wolf (i.e. no clothes/pockets) to hunt for more food. So it doesn't mean he expected his death.

My conjecture is that while out and probably in foresty areas, the heavy rain flooded him and he was washed downstream until that huge canal where the water level was much lower. So his death didn't take place in the canal but rather in a river upstream (similar to how Ame almost died later in the show).

The other possibility would be he fell into that canal but then as seen there were railings on the sides so I don't really think that's it.

----

Gotta agree it was kind of upsetting that Ame seemed a little ungrateful towards his family, I felt a bit frustrated when Hana wanted to follow Ame into the forest when Ame can take care of himself better than she can in the forest too. But yes, the ending was good and I totally agree with the post above me.

I know it isn't really the point of the movie but I was wishing for something between Sohei and Yuki... (okay fine, they are too young.) That scene they had by the curtain was really really touching though...

Still feel sad over Ookami's death. Because he died as a wolf they threw him into the rubbish truck. My heart totally broke at that scene. Hana was left with nothing but his driver's ID as remembrance.

But great movie overall. Both my friend and I were overwhelmed with so many feelings it took a while to calm and leave our seats after the movie ended.
Oct 3, 2012 9:27 PM
Nov 2008
A friend of mine forwarded me some interesting information drawn from French interviews with director Mamoru Hosoda:

"A journalist praised Hana for letting her kids make their choice and wondered how Hosoda's parents handled the news that he wanted to be an animator, given that it's not a well-regarded profession.

"Hosoda said he was interested in the arts (be it drawing, live-action movies or anime) since he was quite young (in a 6th grade essay, he wrote that he wanted "to be a director like Miyazaki"). This was all quite foreign and a bit odd for his parents, but they encouraged him and did what they could to help him. Hosoda noted that he grew up in the region where Wolf Children is set, so, just like in the movie, he was far from everything.

"He moved to Tokyo at age 18 and 'never really went back' home. Working on Wolf Children forced him to rediscover his home region.

"Hosoda said his parents always supported his choices and were proud of him, but when he reflects on it today, he suspects that, privately, they may have wanted him to return home and be an art teacher at the local school after his graduation from college. He had gone into animation instead. Hosoda said his parents accepted his choice, but it's only now that he realises what his parents might have wanted.

"Hosoda's mother died three years ago, shortly after he started working on Wolf Children. There were questions he wanted to ask her, about what it was like to bring him up but, unfortunately, he never got to."
Oct 4, 2012 7:44 AM

Feb 2010
tinyRedLeaf said:

"A journalist praised Hana for letting her kids make their choice and wondered how Hosoda's parents handled the news that he wanted to be an animator, given that it's not a well-regarded profession.

"Hosoda said he was interested in the arts (be it drawing, live-action movies or anime) since he was quite young (in a 6th grade essay, he wrote that he wanted "to be a director like Miyazaki"). This was all quite foreign and a bit odd for his parents, but they encouraged him and did what they could to help him. Hosoda noted that he grew up in the region where Wolf Children is set, so, just like in the movie, he was far from everything.

"He moved to Tokyo at age 18 and 'never really went back' home. Working on Wolf Children forced him to rediscover his home region.

"Hosoda said his parents always supported his choices and were proud of him, but when he reflects on it today, he suspects that, privately, they may have wanted him to return home and be an art teacher at the local school after his graduation from college. He had gone into animation instead. Hosoda said his parents accepted his choice, but it's only now that he realises what his parents might have wanted.

"Hosoda's mother died three years ago, shortly after he started working on Wolf Children. There were questions he wanted to ask her, about what it was like to bring him up but, unfortunately, he never got to."

*Claps*

Thank you, that was an informative insight on Mamoru Hosoda.
Oct 14, 2012 3:30 PM

Aug 2008
Watched it at a film festival!

It's a great movie, but I love Summer wars and Towi wo Kakeru Shoujo a bit more. This story is sadder than the previous movies. I didn't want the wolf man to die and I didn't want Ame to leave like this. It feel so lonely to be a wolf, but that's what he wished for, so I won't complain. It would be great if Hana or him visit each other from time to time (but I don't think that's the case). But well, if not, I'm very happy with Yuki's case, she got someone who accept her. :)

It was well executed (it's Madhouse and Mamoru Hosoda after all!), I'm pretty impressed by the animation and the soundtrack is outstanding, especially the scene with the moving nature, but the story is a bit predictable imo.
KuriniOct 14, 2012 4:18 PM
Oct 14, 2012 5:01 PM

Feb 2008
Also watched it at a film festival!

The movie was wonderful ;__;
Oct 21, 2012 9:55 AM
Apr 2008
I watched it yesterday at a local cinema and its worth the money.

Even though the story is predictable I felt that the animation, soundtrack and the execution was well done. So I pretty much enjoyed it.

8/10
Oct 21, 2012 6:28 PM
Feb 2012
just watched it at the hawaii international film festival, it was great. very touching story
Oct 23, 2012 2:51 AM
Jul 2018
shikikanzero said:
just watched it at the hawaii international film festival, it was great. very touching story

ho, no shit? i was there as well. damn, there were a lot of people. i saw that really long line and thought it was for a different movie. i was shocked when they said that everyone in line was waiting for wolf children. wow, i say.
removed-userOct 23, 2012 2:54 AM
Oct 27, 2012 2:19 AM

Jun 2009
I was there as well. So much people were holding seats...

I want to watch it again, but it's going to be a while before it's physically released.
Oct 27, 2012 3:53 AM
Jul 2018
Sly-Guy said:
I was there as well. So much people were holding seats...

I want to watch it again, but it's going to be a while before it's physically released.

same. damn it was good, although i'd say that tokikake is mamoru's best.
Oct 27, 2012 8:13 PM

Jun 2009
I need to rewatch that, it's been a few years. It's tough to really pick one, all three are so damn good.

There was some serious tear-jerker moments. I had to man up in the theater lol.
Dec 24, 2012 10:32 AM

Dec 2012
This is a very beautiful movie. I wish it had a wider audience here in MAL
Feb 23, 2013 11:57 PM

May 2011
I've watched it without subs. It's pretty good. if you've watched enough anime you can almost understand the dialogue, Especially during cub phase of the children's growth.

I do think the conflicts, climax, and resolution of the story was way to quick and lacked serious depth. You almost get this feeling like the story was unfinished. Still, overall it was a really a wonderful story with a bittersweet ending.
CirrisFeb 24, 2013 12:05 AM
Mar 1, 2013 9:12 PM

Aug 2011
It's quite touching, although I did not cry in this one, it was really well paced and looked really cute! :) With movies like this I always wanna know what happens next! :3 9/10
Do not feed the trolls! They bite ;D
Mar 2, 2013 7:57 AM

Jun 2011
This is more touching when you put yourself in a mother's place. Great movie.
Mar 2, 2013 8:32 AM

Jan 2013
Just watched this on a website. Have to say it was very good more so when connected to a post on the first page in reguards to Mamoru Hosoda. But the characters at first felt flat...and some minor issues I had with the story. Reguardless gets a 8/10 from me. Worth watching.
Mar 2, 2013 9:51 AM

Jul 2011
That was... beautiful. For once, my expectations were met. I'm so happy!

But I wish it showed a little more in the end, about when Ame and Yuki are all grown up.

Started loving it when they moved to the house in the country side. When all the neighbours started helping them out. <3

I have to say that the actual movie is better than the PV I saw.

9/10 ( I will readjust the score when my hype dies down.)
MirorinMar 2, 2013 9:59 AM
Mar 2, 2013 2:27 PM

Dec 2009
This was amazing. The first hour is practically flawless with the showing of how Hana and Ookami got together, her tribulations in raising the two children on her own. It's touching, it's funny and it flows perfectly. The second hour falls more into expected developments as the two children start to come of age, but it still has a lot of touching and emotional moments.

I can see how some people are a bit taken back by Ame's behavior, I felt a bit the same in the beginning but I think that's because we go through the same process as Hana. No mother wants to say goodbye to their child, and while Yuki has forsaken her wild side and become a human in heart, Hana (and we) had yet to accept that Ame had become a wolf in heart.
Ara ara.
Mar 2, 2013 2:52 PM
Sep 2012
I really liked this movie. I though that every scene was really touching and I loved all the characters. I did think that it was strange though how the father could turn into a wolf in the middle of Tokyo without people noticing and chasing him down, but that's only a minor thing compared to the rest of the movie.

8/10
IconicMar 2, 2013 10:54 PM
Mar 2, 2013 5:07 PM

Mar 2011
I've waited for what felt like forever to watch this. Truly enjoyed it, fantastic animation and visuals, amazing soundtrack...Very few minor gripes, but I can definitely overlook them for this refreshing movie.

9/10
Mar 2, 2013 5:10 PM

Nov 2010
A very good movie. Loved the art, it was great. Especially whenever it showed the plants. The music was good I liked the classical and the piano, that weird singing voice was cool too.

The story was great, I liked how it showed them through childhood, would have liked to see them as an adult, that would have clinched a 9 from me.
I bet the furry fandom loved this movie.

8/10
Mar 2, 2013 6:02 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Nice story and stunning visuals.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 2, 2013 6:54 PM

Mar 2011
Really touching and a bit sad. Overall, really like it
Motherly love, how Ame and Yuki made their choice and how they grew, all aspects of life were presented beautifully in this movie
Packaged with simple, yet great and beautiful visuals
Hosoda never fails me
Mar 2, 2013 7:33 PM

Feb 2009
Mothers are a different breed indeed.
Mar 3, 2013 1:00 AM

May 2012
Yuki as a kid is so adorable.. love her bubbly attitude!

Overall it's a great movie.. the father wolf reminds of a certain character in Summer Wars [ Jinnouchi, Wabisuke] who developed that Love Machine AI thing :)
Mar 3, 2013 4:43 AM

Sep 2012
pretty good movie, not quite as good as the girl who leapt through time, but it was close, certainly better than summer wars. the parts where it showed them trying to live life out in the country were nice. although the ending felt a bit riushed. good 8.5/10
Mar 3, 2013 8:10 AM

Jun 2008
Freaking loved this movie!
Hana's parenting, the village people's niceness, Ame and Yuki going seperate way, i loved everything!

I hope that Ame comes down from the mountain to visit his mom once in a while ; u ;
And that Yuki will marry Souhei and have kids and move in with her mother and help out with the farm.
Mar 3, 2013 8:35 AM

Sep 2010
Awesome movie..... <3 it soo much.......

5/5
Mar 3, 2013 9:39 AM

Mar 2012
I hope someone else joins me on the hater train soon, it's lonely.

I thought the first half an hour was great, but that the next ~hour (the child raising stretch) really dragged on. The ending was little bit better than the middle, but it didn't make me feel much. I guess the wolf/human thing was just too cheesy for me to connect with, as hard as I tried.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Mar 3, 2013 12:34 PM

Jun 2010
Damn it, feels man! Feels :'(

Mod Edit: Removed reaction image.
LunaMar 29, 2013 10:58 AM

Mar 3, 2013 1:21 PM

Jun 2011
waited so long for it to be subbed but it was worth the wait
Great movie. really beautiful. Like most of ya'll said, i ended up a little pissed with ame's attitude.
it feels like this movie is a bit incomplete though, the end doesn't feel like an end.

i would rate it as 8.5/10 on MAL if it was possible but i'll give it a 9/10
Mar 3, 2013 3:37 PM

Nov 2011
Just finished and I will say this this movie was pretty good.

The narration in the beginning was lighthearted with some natural outlook of the backgrounds. The music/soundtrack is also smooth imo with its soft rhythms. The beginning scenes between Hana and that guy moves quite slowly but seemingly fine with their relationship.

Seemingly enough, this part was interesting:

But ya, the movie is told from Yuki's perspective after she is born on a snowy day.

So much tears and sorrow ;.;

Overall, I found the movie to be quite realistic despite the fantasy theme of wolves being part of it. In fact, it traces the roots of raising children and how difficult it is for a single mother. That and the fact the children aren't entirely human makes it even more difficult.

8/10.
Mar 3, 2013 5:35 PM

Oct 2010
Such a beautiful movie...
mutsuriniiiMar 3, 2013 5:38 PM
Mar 3, 2013 6:07 PM
Feb 2012
Outstanding animation, ok music (could've been better), great story, some inferior parts here & there... I would too give it 8.5 but 9 is also good I guess.
Mar 3, 2013 8:34 PM
Apr 2011
Good movie. Like everyone is saying, I was a bit miffed at Ame like "Stop acting all emo" But I get his want to be more like his father. I thought it was cool how in the beginning Yuki wanted to be a wolf and Ame wanted to be human but switched ideas when they got older.
Mar 3, 2013 9:14 PM

Aug 2009
DEAR GOD... *CRYING* That was so beautiful and bittersweet, but still so beautiful.

Im a 16 year old girl. I haven't even thought about getting married or having kids yet in my future but just watching this movie and envisioning it was enough. T^T
I think the main purpose of this movie was to show how a family starts and see how your children grow and eventually "leave the nest" .

I don't know why Im crying. I feel silly since Im not where in the state of life to have kids or get married, but everything in this movie was just so beautiful. I don't even have to be in the situation to just understand the emotions and bitter sweetness of seeing your kids grow up so fast in front of your very eyes.

I don't know, maybe its woman instinct/future mother instinct that I feel this way. Throughout the movie I would just put myself in Hana's place. It was just painful for me to bare the idea of Ame growing up and leaving my "nest". It was painful to just know that he grew up so fast. I didn't want him to go, but I know that Hana raised him strong enough for him to stand on his own and make his own decisions. Its sad, and bittersweet, but it had to happen. I just imagine the future pain of just seeing your kids grow up and leave you, and its...sad. I kind of makes me curious of my mother will feel it when that time happens for her. Do I sound silly for being too attached to the characters in this movie?

This movie was beautifully made. I love how the roles just switched. When they were young, Hana was the one that was so attached to the wolf side to her and Ame wanted to be a human. As they grew up, Ame wanted to be the human and Ame, the wolf. They were able to discover them selves and find out who they are.

Overall, I really loved this movie. Its a good lesson and amazing video and perspective of life. Im still kind of sad because I kind of a sap when it comes to bittersweet movies, but in the end, this movie is definitely beautiful.

10/10
Mar 4, 2013 6:07 AM

Nov 2009
Truly truly outstanding movie. It has been a long time since I watched anything that touching, yet meaningful and beautiful like this one.

This has far exceeded my expectations. Wonderful movie.

But the thing which impressed me the most was, how Hana let her children to choose their paths freely. She is strong, yet a kind hearted mother, I don't know where did she gather such strength to raise her children and keep moving on, even without her husband.
Mar 4, 2013 10:24 AM
Sep 2011
When I first read the synopsis of this movie, I thought that it would be some chilched animated film about wolfs and the harsh behavior of the society against them. After watching the first 20-25 minutes or so, I thought that I was right and because of the visuals I would give it a 6/10. However, it sure picked up after then. The whole story, except from being a bittersweet and well-executed tale, is rather symbolic. We have the love of a mother for ther children no matter what they'll become, the shaping of a character for a young and frail lady and her resolve to choose being a human, and the shaping of a character of a young man, who's more free spirited and wants to test his limits. The story teaches us of the different paths that a human being takes while growing, and force us to realize that in real life you can only choose one thing, when you have formed your resolve based on your personality and liking. It was so much more than I initialy thought it to be, so I apologize. I think that this movie is Hosoda's best after watching Summer Wars (which I found just fine), and The Girl who leapt through time(which was a very good movie, but in my opinion not so emotional).

Thus, well deserved, 7/10.
AnimeCrusaderMar 5, 2013 9:08 AM
Mar 4, 2013 12:36 PM
Jan 2013
There is something that I don't get. Why do Ookami has to die? What do you guys think? Also how did he die? Drown?

I would rate this movie 9/10. Great movie.
Mar 4, 2013 5:30 PM

Sep 2010
9/10
the feels.............

Mod Edit: Removed reaction image.
LunaMar 29, 2013 10:58 AM
Mar 4, 2013 11:00 PM
Feb 2012
That was so sad happy! It made me cry a bit. :) I really wish that the wolf man (never got his name) hadn't died. And I wish that Ame hadn't left. But I'm glad Yuki got someone who accepted her.
Mar 5, 2013 9:38 AM

Jan 2012
I didn't really like the first 20 minutes, and didn't like the animation at first(I started to like it after a while though).
Though after that I fell in love with the movie and loved the plot development and character interaction.
I probably won't enjoy this movie if I watched it again, because to me it's one of those movies that knowing the resolution at the end would make it hard to appreciate the conflicts before it.
It was a 9.5/10 for me.
penguindrum264Mar 5, 2013 9:46 AM
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I hate ame

luksthefool - Mar 19

10 by Davoo »»
Mar 20, 1:37 PM

Poll: » what do you think of the end &amp; Ame`s action ? ( 1 2 )

KaGi-13 - Apr 21, 2013

92 by KURAIKEN63 »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:58 AM

» Ame is loved that much?! really?!

aku_mado - Jul 3, 2022

20 by MichaelJackson »»
May 4, 2023 2:36 AM

» This anime is really weird

AunixHOT - Oct 8, 2021

33 by aku_mado »»
Jul 3, 2022 10:33 PM

Poll: » Why does this anime have a PG - Children rating?

johnyjohny - May 13, 2016

8 by aku_mado »»
Jul 3, 2022 5:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.