Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 10, 2012 4:13 AM

Nov 2010
that was a very enjoyable anime. Loved the concept, characters, and music. Sucks that season 2 isnt untill 2013 but atleast we know its coming.

9/10
Hokuto_no_FuzzAug 12, 2012 12:45 AM
Aug 14, 2012 2:41 PM

Aug 2008
Not a bad show. You'll get more of the references if you're an akb fan.
They really need to improve on the terrible CG during the dance scenes.
Other than that, I'm glad another season has been green-lit. More Kojiharu please.
Aug 16, 2012 4:24 PM

Jun 2008
Hot damn, that was a powerful finale. I was borderline between 7 and 8 the whole time, but after that, it's a definite 8/10. Looking forward to season 2.
Dec 10, 2012 1:34 PM

May 2009
Pretty good show. Not quite the best thing ever, but at least I enjoyed it, on par.

I liked the music. There's definitely some very nice songs in here, among them being the OP (Kibou ni Tsuite), ED (Dreams are like Reincarnation), River, Beginner, and Aitakatta. The way this show got to showcase these was pretty awesome.

However, the show felt rushed and too packed. As others here have mentioned, there are a lot of characters, and some of them had subplots that just felt...like they happened and then blew over. Like, Chieri had that subplot where the others discovered her father worked on DES machines. Then basically she moped for half an episode and then it was over and everything was peachy again. The biggest drama came in these last two (or three) episodes where they go back to Lancastar and the three starting characters confront their pasts. I admit I teared up at the end with the scenes with Nagisa's parents. But even that felt hurried. I didn't feel there was enough time for me to get used to the characters, to really get a feel for them, to understand them deeply enough for me to make emotional connections to them and then feel the pain they went through in the story.

Plus, there was too much random comedy for a show that had such a serious premise. The bright colors and happy songs are not the problem--that is part and parcel of the setting and makes complete sense. It's the stuff like Makoto complaining about her breast size (or lack thereof) that annoys me after a while.

The premise of the series--that there are public entertainment bans on various planets--is pretty silly. Though, if you instead think of them as bans on particular styles or forms of entertainment (which is suggested by the "NO IDOL" signs), and think of the planets more like countries (which in real life have in fact variously banned certain styles or composers of music, such as Iran banning various western genres), it feels a lot more natural.

In fact, as silly as that premise is, I think that the show would have worked better if it had focused on it. I felt the show really shined during the episode 3 military exercise, and was hoping that it would continue the conflict between gritty realism and optimistic idealism as one of its central themes. I'd also have appreciated a stronger focus on the politics of the entertainment ban, and taking a strong stand against it, but then again I apparently enjoy political undertones more than the usual anime fan (note my really liking Kiddy Grade for its political undertones about social justice, for example).

On the other hand, I didn't really like the inter-idol drama, or the mystique about S4 and the Center Novae disappearing and the Kirara and stuff. I can understand the inter-idol drama, and I would have enjoyed it had it been done better, such as with better pacing and more time for me to get inside the minds and hearts of the characters. But the mystical stuff was just distracting from what I felt were the themes of the show.

As for the setting details:

I think I'll rate the show 7/10. It's good, but has some flaws that prevent me from thinking it's awesome. Still, I look forward to the second season.

I also hope that they don't "explain" the entertainment ban as being a precaution against whatever crazy accident happened. Because that would severely undercut the political theme.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 5, 2013 9:40 PM

May 2011
This was a epic season finale and I absolutely loved it. The concert felt amazing and I was seriously pumped up watching this, especially with those climax moments in their songs. It was so nice to see those reunion and touching scenes as well, especially that one with Nagisa and her parents. And I am so glad that Takamina's situation turned out fine and she is going to stay afterall.

Time to watch the next stage :D.
Jan 13, 2013 2:02 PM
Nov 2012
It was very good 9/10
Aug 26, 2013 3:06 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching in 1080p)

This episode is the "one" we've been waiting for the whole season. Epic concert battle! Both OP and ED songs in full. Lots of sparkles! Kirara won't let the baddies harm their idols.

Every one of the understudies is shining so brightly that Mii-chan is afraid they are all going to disappear (as Center Novae)... but they didn't... (see Next Stage for more)

I was actually disappointed that Takamina was re-selected as Takamina. As much as I like her, I like Kanata more... But now we have a similar rivalry like Nagisa + Chieri, except that Kanata doesn't know that she's next in line to be Takamina, even with almost being "told".

I love this show! 8/10 One of my favorites.

There is one thing that makes this it so good... Their ability to reach their audience. And by "audience" I mean you and me, not the audience in the show. It is that one single aspect that makes AKB0048 a radiant star among other anime. The mecha/sci-fi action, cuteness, and music don't hurt either. :)
Aug 31, 2013 10:19 PM
Sep 2010
Didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did. I don't follow real life idols at all but they work well for me in anime form at least. Went in with relatively low expectations (though I was aware of some praise people had given it), but got something where nearly all characters were likeable and even the story was handled decently (at least, probably as well as a story about galactic entertainment bans and mechanized idols can be). I guess it doesn't hurt that I like j-pop. Someone who dislikes j-pop would probably be annoyed with the show.
Oct 20, 2013 11:20 PM

Jul 2012
I've been told I would be pleasantly surprised...and I was! :D

I've been in love with Yume wa Nando mo Umarekawaru ever since I heard it the first time.

Off to watch Next Stage now!
Nov 8, 2013 1:31 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
I love this show!!! :D
Nov 22, 2013 11:36 PM

Feb 2010
omg i loved it. I'm so happy i did! Its been a while since i finished an anime and i wanted to cry because i didn't want it to be over. Doesnt happen very often.
This show was so cute, sweet and adorable!! The characters are so so cute.

And it was so sad there was so many happy moments that they made me cry or happiness. It was just so beautiful Q^Q
I still have a lot of questions tho. Where are the center novas!? I hope they answer them in the next season. Cant wait to watch that!
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Jan 21, 2014 6:05 PM

May 2013
Well, fuck you. All that unnecessary drama for something that was going on so greatly, it was so fun. And Acchan ended up being irrelevant, I wanted more Acchan. In fact, from the moment I saw her I only ended up finishing the whole series for more of her. What's with the robot girl?

I'll just get to 2nd season and hope I'm wrong and that they'll explain things. Many things.
Apr 16, 2014 3:07 AM

Dec 2012
That entire final performance was amazing, filled with so much passion and emotion. When the understudies started to light up I was starting to think they'd really vanish for the conclusion. I didn't mind the CGI in this episode and for the first time I felt like it wasn't awkward or out of place.

This series was most certainly something else. I loved the entire Star Wars meets Idols concept. A real fun and compelling ride filled with plenty of heartwarming and heartwrenching moments. It seems like I'm on a roll with idol anime in general, each one continues to bring its own unique experience to the table and shining in its own colors. The girls were real fun and grew on me in these 13 short episodes, especially Yuuko, Kanata, and Sonata. I also loved the character designs, most notably the heart eyes. Although the one thing that bothered me was the CGI dancing, it just didn't ever feel right and felt like I was watching some cheesy Barbie Cabbage Patch Kids commercial. Otherwise an extremely enjoyable show.

Entertainment Level: 8/10, the ban has been lifted on my computer and I'll be sure to make my way to the next stage in the near future.
May 13, 2014 7:48 PM

Feb 2013
And so ends my 3rd time watching this season, and it's been every bit as enjoyable as the first time. So much sparkles!

CG while noticable, still looks great. I checked the english credits on my BDs, and they do mention motion capture... so I guess that answers why the CG dancing looks so amazing.

Five songs! (counting credits) Idolmaster, Love Live, and even Wake Up Girls don't come close to that in an entire season.

Now, on to rewatching Next Stage...
Oct 26, 2014 5:40 PM

Jul 2013
Soo good!! I really enjoyed watching this series!! The last concert and performance in this episode is frikin EPIC!! AaaMmmaaazzziiing!!!
Apr 30, 2015 4:45 PM

Nov 2013
It was a really enjoyable anime. At first the idea of having action in idol anime felt a bit ridiculous to me, but I got hooked as soon as a couple minutes in the first episode and binge watched it in a few days. Also I never had problems with cgi mostly because the cgi quality in this anime is rather good while comparing to some others and it made possible to animate the choreographs nicely.

I'm gonna start watching the second season asap after writing this and hope that some of my favorite songs are included in it :0
Sep 9, 2015 8:22 AM

May 2012
What a wonderful ending I must say! I really enjoyed the whole atmosphere that was made here and it was all executed so perfectly! The character and story development of this anime is also very great and to be honest I never expected this kind of greatness from an idol anime, but I sure was wrong postponing this great anime!

The ending was a we'll definitely make a second season open ending, so with that said I'm looking forward to see what the second season will offer us!
Sep 28, 2015 6:08 PM

Apr 2012
8/10.
The overall concept is silly but the show manages to make it work. That last episode was AMAZING!
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Oct 5, 2015 9:36 AM

Jul 2010
I really didn't like the first half of this but dunno if it was because this is my first legit idol anime I've watch but I'll say though the second half gets much better and the ending was perfect imo.

Also Sonata best girl.
Sep 1, 2016 10:16 PM

Jul 2013
Well it sure was dumb show on paper but i still enjoyed it.Shame that the song's werent localized.
Jun 3, 2019 5:34 PM

Nov 2013
Are these fucking soldiers even trying?
I'm really glad for TakaMina.
Overall this show is very beautiful but really, REALLY stupid.
GvendolineJun 3, 2019 6:04 PM
Oct 15, 2019 10:36 AM

Oct 2015
That was a good performance especially when the Kiraras were super glowing around them, I thought it was pretty impressive. Maybe they're all Center novae materials, and I doubt one of them is the chosen, I think they're all centers. Tsubasa was really looking forward to the choosing of a new nova, I wonder what truth is she going to reveal after it has been chosen? Maybe it has to do with Acchan, her disappearance from the scene and why they decided to abandon the term.

I liked how Chieri let Nagisa sing the lead, group members should be like that, support each other instead of fighting one another! I also liked the Yuuka/Mamoru moment, but I just wished they kissed though even if this wasn't intended for the romance demo. I thought for a second there, Mamoru would die, I'm glad he didn't since he was always cheering for her ( that cover up photo!). The moment of Nagisa and her father was nice, but those were stern words from him. It's your daughter for heaven's sake, you should be warm and encouraging, you're not talking to a soldier. A hug Would've been a pleasure from him, but oh well! I'm glad Takamina is not quitting the group, I guess Kanata will have to wait for her position.

Can't wait for the next season, so we can be unraveled the mysteries surrounding the show. Like what exactly is Center nova? Who/what is sensei-sensei? Will the understudies become successors or walk their own paths? Tsubasa's reveal?

Animation was good on this anime, I especially loved the breathtaking wonderful background. The music was also good, the vast characters were used well ( but they should've limited the Kanata/Takamina story line). Plot was actually enjoyable to me, and the setting.

7/10.

lihle808Oct 15, 2019 10:41 AM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 12, 2020 1:05 PM
Jan 2017
This was a surprisingly good show.
Ive been a fan of AKB48 waaay before this show, but I thougt this was just ginna be another lame idol show with the only good thing being the music.

and I was right at 1st since there were a couple off lip-synching scenes at the beginning if the series. but I like the contrawt between sweet idol music and violent gunfire. Plus the one episode about embracing your haters as well as your fans I felt was a pretty good episode too because I dont feel like alot of that kinda stuff is talked about enough, since they all say just ignore them.

Overall this was a good show 6/10
Jul 15, 2020 1:07 AM

Apr 2009
WTF is this show? Robots and idols in one show is terrible.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2021 12:48 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Well that was a pretty good ending, lot of emotions and songs for the final! Now I hope that s2 will be good too!
May 18, 2021 1:25 AM

May 2020
This was just another idol-show trying not be an idol show by covering it in a sci-fi setting. Literally nothing about this show is original or worth watching.

4/10.
Feb 11, 2022 1:26 PM

Aug 2018
I liked a lot of things in this anime.. Characters, some drama or feels here and there, idol stuff.. But also such setting is too stressful for me personally.. Of some world, where entertainment is forbidden and stuff, and there are military everywhere.. So it's both nice watch in some things, but also stressful in the setting overall.. But that's for me personally, of course.. ;p
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » AKB0048 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

akbfan - Jun 24, 2012

80 by povsuduvolosy »»
Sep 3, 2022 2:49 PM

Poll: » AKB0048 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

akbfan - Jul 15, 2012

62 by Ashhk »»
May 8, 2021 12:09 AM

Poll: » AKB0048 Episode 11 Discussion

akbfan - Jul 8, 2012

45 by Ashhk »»
May 7, 2021 12:20 PM

Poll: » AKB0048 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

akbfan - Jul 1, 2012

54 by Ashhk »»
May 7, 2021 11:49 AM

Poll: » AKB0048 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 17, 2012

60 by Ashhk »»
May 7, 2021 6:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.