Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 12, 2012 3:17 PM

Aug 2009
Great episode.
Mar 19, 2012 1:44 AM

Jan 2012
dropped it after 1st ep 3 years ago..

gave it another chance and pretty much cruised through it

easy and soothing watch

a bit overrated, but to each his own
May 16, 2012 12:05 AM
Mar 2011
Top notch anime. Enjoyed it from beginning to end from the comedy, the romance, the life issues, the amazing development of the characters, even when I complained about the fact how Takemoto was such an emotional wreck... the show pulled it off elegantly.
Definite recommendation to anyone.
May 17, 2012 6:00 PM

Nov 2011
Cute and brilliant series ^_^

Going to watch the sequel now.
Jun 17, 2012 12:29 PM

Oct 2008
Oh, come on! A confession!? This isn't good, Morita! Now I'm also wondering why he always distances himself from others. It's like, he doesn't wanna get serious with anything.

Fine! I'm gonna watch the second season!
Jul 4, 2012 3:48 AM

Jun 2011
what a beatiful end
Jul 13, 2012 9:48 AM

Jul 2010
That was great :) I honestly thought I'd embrace Honey and Clover more than I did, as I love slice-of-life series, but it didn't get to my heart as much as I wanted it to. Despite this, it was still a very enjoyable watch, and I'm glad I took the time to do so. I gained a lot of respect for Takemoto this episode, his confession was so overflowing with confidence, it made me so happy. Haha, I wonder if one day I'll ever embark on a journey to find myself as well ;)

I love Morita-san, def. my favorite character. Him and Hagu forever~!<3

Honey and Clover gets an 8/10 for me. Enjoyable, slightly memorable, but it didn't connect with my heart as I wanted it to. To tell the truth, I think the show is a bit overrated. But that's just my opinion.

TO THE SEQUEL!!!!
Jul 19, 2012 8:53 PM
Feb 2008
what an insanely good show.
Sep 3, 2012 2:17 AM

May 2010
Balls. It's obvious Takemoto is going to be with Hagu. They've spent way too much time developing his character to not have it work out.

Also I think this show may be better to watch when you're a little bit older. I watched about half when I was in high school and didn't connect to it nearly as much as I have now (I'm working, finished uni)
Sep 25, 2012 8:27 AM

Nov 2011
Aw man, I was hoping I would get to see more of Yamadas situation, but oh well. I guess that is what the sequel if for. Hagu looks a lot better now than at the start of the anime too =P.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Sep 25, 2012 9:47 AM

Sep 2012
fishergirl16 said:

Honey and Clover gets an 8/10 for me. Enjoyable, slightly memorable, but it didn't connect with my heart as I wanted it to. To tell the truth, I think the show is a bit overrated. But that's just my opinion.

The average score is 8.35, you gave it 8/10 and you call it overrated?
Nov 18, 2012 3:03 AM

May 2012
Great final episode of this first season! It was just awesome to see him have gathered the strength to finally say it to her! It's good that there are a couple of specials and a second season because this was a way to open ending if it didn't!

Great first season lots of humor and a great story development throughout the anime! 9/10
Nov 25, 2012 1:22 AM

Feb 2010
I like Takemoto much better now. The way he just grow up (and can even dodge Morita's attacks) is just wonderful if you compare him from episode 1.

Black_Rose1809 said:
I didn't like Takemoto in the beginning, but he's.... better now. He's more manly and awesome! I have a crush on him now! xD He's handsome.... :3

Ditto >///<
I thought I wont fall for anyone other than Morita. Then Takemoto send that arrow straight to my heart lol
mingling with each other are the flames of red and blue
Jan 23, 2013 10:10 PM

Jan 2012
its like the art version of nana. their surnames are so normal! I got to say, Yamada's eyes are really beautiful.

+ Unique OP themes. I remember seeing the 1st version when I was a kid and it gave me shrimp nightmares.
- Romance not going anywhere.
+ A lot of insert songs. I think there's one on every episode?
+ No main character out shadows the rest. They are equally "main."
- Enormous hands. the mouths bothered me sometimes but that's their art style.
- Episodes won't make you, for the most part, want to watch the next episode.
+ Characters feels alive like they changes their clothes, hair style, and skin color.

Adolescence out of 10.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Mar 11, 2013 1:23 PM

Nov 2011
NoobHunterD said:
its like the art version of nana. their surnames are so normal! I got to say, Yamada's eyes are really beautiful.

+ Unique OP themes. I remember seeing the 1st version when I was a kid and it gave me shrimp nightmares.
- Romance not going anywhere.
+ A lot of insert songs. I think there's one on every episode?
+ No main character out shadows the rest. They are equally "main."
- Enormous hands. the mouths bothered me sometimes but that's their art style.
- Episodes won't make you, for the most part, want to watch the next episode.
+ Characters feels alive like they changes their clothes, hair style, and skin color.

Adolescence out of 10.

I gotta agree with most of your points. If anything the romance is what hurt the show the most for me because like you said it never went anywhere. The progression of relationships never really moved on from start to end. Of course everyone got closer as a group, but the individual relationships between Takumi and Ayumi or Uta and Hagu stayed the same pretty much with slight increase in progression. I would have liked it if they centered with more plots without the romance talking about their lives, past, and careers or just have the stories with relationships that actually evolve. Nonetheless still an enjoyable series, kinda tough to get through sometimes with the same cycle of plots between Takumi and Ayumi and am I the only who's put off by the fact that Hagu looks like she's nine. I know it's anime but still trips me up.
May 26, 2013 6:25 PM

Jan 2013
They could not have ended this show better!!

Takemoto’s journey turns out to be simple; he learns how important the people and place where he’s from are. He reaches the most Northern point and describes that there is nothing there. He turns back and once he gets home thinks about first seeing everyone then running to job interviews. He has stayed true to who he was but matured. As sensei and Mayama said when Takemoto was messing with Morita, he has become more assertive. The confession was so smooth at the end as well. Can’t praise this ending more :)

I’m glad they didn’t throw in some haphazard solution for Mayama. I know there is a second season so maybe they will address it there. Either way, the end scene really says it all. What everyone is looking for is there just like the 4 leaf clover they were looking for that day. Just because you can’t see it yet doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. These things take time and time goes quicker when you have such close support of friends.

This is definitely one of my favorites! I love anime that make you think about your own life and how similar it is.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Jul 4, 2013 5:13 PM

Jan 2013
This definitely makes it as one of my favorite shows. I felt like I could really relate to the characters and what they were going through. I despised Morita at the beginning but the writers did so well with his development! And Takemoto... he just blew my mind! All that confidence is amazing! And then Hagu... damn they took what I thought was going to be an annoying character and made her into something! I can't wait for the Rika-Mayama-Yamada situation to be addressed in S2. I truly believe Yamada should be with Nomiya and Mayama can help Rika overcome her sorrow. Onwards!
Aug 21, 2013 10:48 PM

Aug 2010
I'm an action packed anime series guy but a little slice of life series once and a while and boy I'm glad I revisited this again. Started watching this when I'm at college, stopped halfway through and re-watched when I'm already working. Its like I went on a journey of self discovery like Takemoto. I only hope my college days was this awesome! Overall great ending and expecting more closure in the relationships in the next season.

Mayama x Yamada, Takemoto x Hagu, Miwako x Yamazaki, Shuu x Rika, Morita x Morita
Nov 17, 2013 10:49 PM

Sep 2013
but morita :(

I still teared up though

I also agree that the series seems a bit overrated but at the same time, I enjoyed the pace, and appreciated a university setting
Dec 31, 2013 6:12 PM

Jul 2012
It was actually really nice. I didn't like the first four or five episodes but it slowly grew on me. My favourite parts were the six of them hanging out in different places, playing twister, getting insanely drunk and Morita making a big mess out of everything. It was just plain nice to look at. I really enjoyed watching such a big cast of characters, each with their own problems, quirks and talents. I really enjoyed Ayu's characterization and Morita's antics. I liked Nomiya a lot as well.

The only few things that made me not like this show as much was that it was kind of boring at times. Also, Rika really pissed me off most of the time because of how emo she was and she never ended up changing or growing as a character at all. I didn't like Mayama's character as much either because he just kept on chasing after her. I didn't like Takamoto's stories as much as the others but he grew on me near the end.

Anyway, I really was impressed by the pacing, art, background music and slice of life mixed with drama. I liked it!

Onto second season.
Feb 19, 2014 3:42 PM

Dec 2011
I did not expect the confession but I'm glad that it actually happen.
It was an amazing anime, i really loved the character development for the main cast, I specially loved Ayu's characterization through the series.

BTW, the ost was fantastic, specially those insert songs on the episodes.

Now is time to download the second season.
Apr 20, 2014 5:50 PM
Nov 2013
Amazing, I loved the ending and almost everything about the series. Really good. I think this show has one of the best characterizations I've ever seen. It's very elaborated in this aspect. As already said, the OST is fucking beautiful. I'm going to the 2nd season soon, but I believe it won't be as good...
May 13, 2014 6:17 AM
Aug 2013
Takemoto did grew up, and in just two months. Although I really didn't understand how that happened. I mean it really wasn't much, nothing really happened except that he had a hard time sleeping, eating and drinking. Nothing really changed my view of his character, he's still an okay.

(I'm not, I know, but) AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO HATES RIKA? I DON'T WANT TO SEE ANYMORE OF HER. I HATE HER and the way she held hands with sensei looked a lot like a hint that they were liking each other romantically (Like in Mawaru Penguindrum when the mutual friend died, the 2 friend who were left behind end up being together) wut the fuck is wrong with you???? just commit suicide already, i don't see much importance in her character anyways :P ugghh

I accept Mayama x Rika, but Sensei x Rika doesn't sound bad either (i think it sounds better)

May Mayama receive divine punishment, I dislike you a lot. >:(. I like him as a character on his own, but with the bitchie he just fails

Ayu, the poor girl. I really like Nomiya for her, him blushing was so cute. I just can't imagine Mayama for her. She has really great friendship with Morita, I want that kind of friendship, their interactions were so cute *_*.

I think Hagu will end up with Morita (I like that ship anyway), Hagu and Takemoto just look like really really good friends to me, not a couple.

I wonder why this series isn't that popular even though, it's a different kind of Slice of life and the romance story here is also really interesting, I recommend you all to watch this because feels. and BTW that first opening was really weird, like really

Morita is my favorite character. I want to have his talent!!!! and be his bestfriend!!!!!!!!
Ayu is my second favorite :)
May 26, 2014 7:11 PM

May 2012
Amazing series... don't know how many times I have became teary eyed, laughed and smiled warmly while watching this. Glad I picked this up. I was actually really not sold with the early episodes but I am happy that I continued since it is really great. Friends, College life, love, family, self evaluation... wow, this show is just so good and inspiring. And I love what Takemoto said as to why he was running without looking back. Because of that, he realized how important are the things that he left behind.
Aug 2, 2014 9:24 PM

Jul 2012
FloralHimegimi said:
(I'm not, I know, but) AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO HATES RIKA? I DON'T WANT TO SEE ANYMORE OF HER. I HATE HER and the way she held hands with sensei looked a lot like a hint that they were liking each other romantically (Like in Mawaru Penguindrum when the mutual friend died, the 2 friend who were left behind end up being together) wut the fuck is wrong with you???? just commit suicide already, i don't see much importance in her character anyways :P ugghh

I agree.
Aug 4, 2014 1:42 PM

Feb 2013
This show was fantastic.....it's exactly describing the point of my life at the moment.....I have no words....

I want to give this show a 10, but I'm giving it a 9.....might change later when I see season 2.
Aug 24, 2014 9:53 AM

Nov 2013
Quite a lovely show, I saw a few complaints regarding how the show is paced. With large amounts of months passing by between mere episodes it did feel a little like everything was happening too fast, but I liked it like that. It's all the more realistic as peoples personalities change over the course of months, even years. One doesn't fall out of love in an instant, it takes a long time to move past that, the way this show was paced was absolutely perfect for displaying a real good attempt at romance, and at proper character growth.

I didn't give a shit about Takemoto at the beginning but by the end he had me. Just the journey and ever wondering of what you're going to do with your life. Knowing everyone around you is moving on and getting jobs and knowing what they want in life. It sucks, I think he's a pretty well crafted character that a lot of people can resonate with, I certainly did.

Morita was amazing, definitely one the funniest characters I've seen in anime, considering popping him onto my favourites. That actually reminds me, I actually really liked the comedy in this series, it felt really fresh and the chemistry between the characters only heightened some of the gags. Yamada was a lovely character too, a real good depiction of what it's like to live with unrequited love, some of her scenes were really sad :c

Aside from those three though, I didn't buy into the rest. Hagu was a brain-dead loli in disguise as an adult, Mayama just pissed me off, he fucking knew how much he was killing Yamada but at times he just came across as so careless towards it. Didn't give a shit about Riza, she had a sad story and all but past that I got nothing out of her.

Good series, hovering between a 7/8. Will pick up the next season at some point and see what else is going to happen *especially considering that confession ending :D*
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Aug 30, 2014 7:55 AM

Sep 2013
Loved this show, highly recommend 9/10
Dec 12, 2014 2:17 PM
Jul 2014
This series was a great watch.
Dec 14, 2014 8:49 PM

Nov 2011
Wouldn't say this is overrated or underrated. I didn't really believe all the praise for the series, but it ended up exceeding my expectations. The first few episodes were meh. It got better after that though. I like the themes on unrequited love and the passage of time. The solid cast backed that up well (although I admit I never came to quite like Haru, only building up toleration/acceptance). Even the comedy was pretty good.

Great series overall.
Dec 16, 2014 12:09 PM

Jun 2009
Great episode, great series. Although, I was expecting Takemoto's journey to take a little longer (anime time wise), they sort of just time skipped a lot of it, especially the return journey. Anyway, it's about time Takemoto confessed. Only took 20+ episodes. Onward to H&C II + Specials.
Dec 29, 2014 4:12 PM

Feb 2013
Hachimitsu to Clover was, literally life. And proceeds as such.
Personally I have two favorite characters, Ayumi and Morita. With the first I felt great empathy and identification. Although if I had to choose a character that I fully understood definitely would be Yuta Takemoto and his tower of adolescence. What I like about the series involving art is that the way to address the issue of vocation and talent is very special. But as I said before, there are varied life histories and each character has his own.
The animation is beautiful and delicate, very appropriate to its essence. And the music shapes perfectly the atmosphere.
Loved almost everything about this series. Would definitely watch again. Now can't wait to watch the second season.

Dec 29, 2014 7:03 PM

May 2014
gissellebatista said:
Personally I have two favorite characters, Ayumi and Morita. With the first I felt great empathy and identification. Although if I had to choose a character that I fully understood definitely would be Yuta Takemoto and his tower of adolescence. What I like about the series involving art is that the way to address the issue of vocation and talent is very special. But as I said before, there are varied life histories and each character has his own.
The animation is beautiful and delicate, very appropriate to its essence. And the music shapes perfectly the atmosphere.
Loved almost everything about this series. Would definitely watch again. Now can't wait to watch the second season.

You said all my thoughts about the series
Dec 29, 2014 7:05 PM

Jul 2012
gissellebatista said:

+11111 Great post. Same @ favourite characters too :>
Jan 19, 2015 8:19 PM

Aug 2012
Amazing anime. I didn't liked it at first but man as the story progressed and characters get developed I enjoyed very well.
Jan 27, 2015 9:15 PM

Dec 2013
Takemoto's journey finally ended! So the guys who helped him are really nice. Even that 18-year old kid lol. And he confessed to Hagu!!!! akkkkkkkkkk

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Apr 16, 2015 11:32 PM
Mar 2015
Wow... I dont know how the 2nd season turns out but now i can honestly say that i love this anime. At first, i was annoyed with pointless (like i thought before) characters and no story. And now... this show brings out so many emotions and you can relate to every character.
Takemoto turned out to be the most developed, most related and deep character. I am glad he finally sorted out his feelings and i cant believe he actually reached the end of Japan! His journey inspires me so much. And he is finally on the same ground as Morita!
And my... did he man up! Takemoto left as a boy and came back as a man. Before i was annoyed at how he is always so indecisive, confused and slow and this episode showed him in a new light. He finally confessed to Hagu! She didnt look that surprised, though. I dont know how it will end but this episode was just perfect!

How can you not ship them???? ^^

Hagu looks much more mature with straight hair.

And now the MANLY TAKEMOTO!
nozomidream9Apr 16, 2015 11:44 PM
Apr 21, 2015 5:20 AM

Aug 2014
What? Still leaves a lot of questions. Wait ... Fortunately the second season was aired
May 8, 2015 8:46 AM

Nov 2013
This series is really like a rollercoaster. The story starts off fun and lighthearted and the ending is full of touching moment and very great life lesson. But sadly, the middle kinda miss as it took me over a month to reach episode 20. All in all it's a good show but not for my liking.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jun 13, 2015 5:16 AM

Jul 2009
Hagu was so cute! So happy Takemoto finally said he loves her! 8/10
Jun 30, 2015 1:56 PM

Jul 2013
Such a great episode, Yuuta made it and came back and then slept holding Hagu's hand! Awww, so sweet <3

Yuuta confessed to Hagu that he loved her at the end at the festival, awww <3

I really loved this series a lot more than I thought I would and I can't wait to start watching season 2 now! <3
Aug 30, 2015 9:25 AM

Dec 2012
OMG, I freaked out when they said it's August 30, the exact date I watched the final episode o_0

9/10, great series!
Oct 12, 2015 1:47 AM

Oct 2014
Despite being close to falling asleep most of this show, the last few episodes really picked it up. The things that saved this show:

-Great music. Very atmospheric, both the OP and (first) ED are really good.
-Takemoto's final arc in this series.

It's too bad about ~80% of this show didn't deliver, and the most of the cast (besides Hanamoto) were incredibly mind numbing to watch (Hagu is definitely drop material).
Nov 23, 2015 3:30 AM

Jun 2015
Pretty decent ending I guess.
:)
Nov 26, 2015 9:58 AM

Dec 2012
I have a map of Japan on my wall from like 2002 and I ended up trying to eye up Takemoto's (general) route.

I have to say Takemoto started out as one of my least favorite characters, but this journey and his characterization have transformed him into my number 1 and most relatable easily. His thoughts and struggle were practically screaming my own. I feel like someone could say "Takemoto" out loud right now and I'd respond to it. His growth is great because it was so subtle and yet it's painstakingly noticeable. Although that's definitely not to downplay the rest of the cast, as Mayama and Ayu were an absolute treat to watch as well as the supporting cast (Nomiya, Rika, Shuu, etc). I would like to see more surrounding Hagu, I don't dislike her but not much about her clicked either.

Mr. Smooth Operator, loved that confession especially since Takemoto smiled with confidence instead of blushing or turning away. Judging by the way Mayama was acting at the festival, I can't help but think he's starting to lean more towards Ayu.

Admittedly I wasn't too fond of this in the earlier episodes. It was really awkward to watch and an episode every few days was my limit, but it definitely grew on me as time went on. Ironically enough it's always at the end of the journey that I start to get hooked. I'd have to say the turning point for me was the focus on Mayama and then the highlight would have to be Takemoto's journey.

Honey and Clover speaks so much sense about the transition from adolescence to adulthood. About being lost, about how relationships flourish and wither, about the simple days of being a college student, about how time marches forward slowly but relentlessly, about the meaning of life itself. This was demonstrated by the contrast between the easygoing pace and the ever moving time skips.

I'm going to graduate college in less than a month and this stirred up all of my memories of the journey up to this point. About wandering through each semester aimlessly, about dropping out for over a year, about a journey of self realization that amounted to nothing 18 months later, about ironically finding a new direction the moment I stop thinking about it, and about the passion I have for life now that I wouldn't have noticed a year ago.

I was selling this series short back in the early stages when I thought it would just be over glorified romance, this really has struck a chord on so many levels. 9/10, going to save the second season for right before my graduation.
Feb 11, 2016 12:54 PM
Dec 2014
drummy2 said:
Hilarious serie, laughed alot^^

I second that. Been a while.
Oct 24, 2016 6:22 PM

Apr 2014
Joy, sadness, loneliness and love.
All of these emotions that are essential to living a meaningful life are portrayed in this anime. Delving into these emotions are what truly sets the josei demographic, and this show in particular apart from many others like it. It may not seem like anything special at first but we should be able to look at our own lives in retrospect through the experiences of the characters.

The ending was everything it was expected to be and more. It wasn't a surprise ending, a man goes on a journey and comes back stronger. But the emotions that Takemoto as a character expresses are very real beyond the fictional world that he lives in, so despite the predictable ending it was done well. The profession of love, and hopes for the future, nothing can compare.

Jan 6, 2017 2:37 PM

Feb 2008
Takemoto truly put his man pants on. Morita's attempts to figuratively rip them off were hilarious. Still, seeing the lot develop as years, or rather, episodes passed, was exceedingly entertaining. The combination of comedy, drama and romance this series provides is great. Finding the suitable words to sum up this awesome series is a hard task indeed... So I will refrain from doing that.

This journey isn't over yet, however. I will definitely continue on this path.
Jan 16, 2017 8:04 PM

Jan 2013
Season two better be about developing Hagu and her sorting out her feelings. There's a lot of potential there.
Really liked this ending.
8/10
Mar 12, 2017 5:46 AM

Oct 2009
It felt so good watching this one more time. I understand Takemoto more now, than I did nine years ago.

I agree, that the feeling of nostalgia is a big part of the story and I do miss the period of youth, that was in the first part of my and character's 20s. Can't wait to rewatch the second season, my favourite part, back in the day.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Opening

I_0_dont_0_know - Apr 10

3 by mikorinismyson »»
Apr 11, 2:46 AM

Poll: » Hachimitsu to Clover Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Mar 17, 2008

126 by whereswisteria »»
Mar 29, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Hachimitsu to Clover Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Mar 21, 2008

61 by anti0taku »»
Aug 3, 2023 2:42 PM

Poll: » Hachimitsu to Clover Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Mar 20, 2008

63 by anti0taku »»
Aug 3, 2023 1:08 PM

Poll: » Hachimitsu to Clover Episode 10 Discussion

Kayro - Mar 19, 2008

49 by anti0taku »»
Jul 22, 2023 12:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.