Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 18, 2012 4:27 AM
Jul 2011
What, in your opinion, is better? An anime set in the past, the future, or present time? And why?

I personally like the Victorian Era.
I like bubble teaaa~ Bubble tea for meee~
I'll have it for breakfast, I'll have it for tea, a little each day is a good recipee~
Jul 18, 2012 4:41 AM

May 2008
No contest: Future.

It's the only unknown, so the imagination goes wild there. Many more possibilities, and it's simply harder to create. The others are boringly known, unless the creators decide to make an alternate present or past.
Jul 18, 2012 4:48 AM
Jul 2011
FauxAzn said:

It's the only unknown, so the imagination goes wild there. Many more possibilities, and it's simply harder to create. The others are boringly known, unless the creators decide to make an alternate present or past.

It might be just me, but I reckon anime that are 'boringly known' sometimes can teach about history, and that interests me.
I like bubble teaaa~ Bubble tea for meee~
I'll have it for breakfast, I'll have it for tea, a little each day is a good recipee~
Jul 18, 2012 4:50 AM

May 2008
IceBubbleTea said:
FauxAzn said:

It might be just me, but I reckon anime that are 'boringly known' sometimes can teach about history, and that interests me.

Well, sure. Past would be my next choice because, well, you're reliving the beginnings, the foundations of humanity. It's interesting to learn and relive how we got to where we are now. Plus, it was a simpler time back then, versus our complex present and infinitely more complex future. Furthermore, you as the viewer feel a whiff intelligent too while watching it because you know about the present time period, which all the other characters in the past dream toward. And knowing more than the characters is always fun.

But I still go with the future. Requires so much more imagination, and it's practically boundless unlike the past and present.
FauxAznJul 18, 2012 5:03 AM
Jul 18, 2012 5:28 AM

Dec 2009
If the storyline I find interesting, anything goes.
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains must be the truth.

I Like My Woman Strong, Flat-Chested, Tall, Slender and Scarred

Yuri & Yaoi Hater

dA: http://flame13th.deviantart.com
Blog: http://flame13th.blogspot.com
Jul 18, 2012 6:38 AM

Feb 2005
If I had to choose one, future. It allows for far greater artistic freedom and creativity, and can build upon past and present history to create something truly interesting that both draws inspiration from history and add in interesting new twists.
Jul 18, 2012 7:07 AM

Mar 2009
Future - what Baman said.
Past, especially if it bears some resemblance to reality.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Jul 18, 2012 7:43 AM

Jun 2012
Past setting really interests me, but i dont mind any of them either way.
Jul 18, 2012 8:05 AM

Jul 2010
ugh, this is a pretty tough one. when it comes to the future i'd say the animation quality is usually higher, but i'm just making a rough guess lol. with the present you can go back and forth between time periods in essence
not a huge fan of the past, but it has its ups and downs.

Jul 18, 2012 10:28 AM

Jun 2012
I went with future as I would say there are a bit more that interest be animation wise that fit into that category. However, I do enjoy anime set in the past, especially if they include actual historical accuracies to some point.
Jul 18, 2012 10:58 AM

Nov 2011
We already know about the present and past, what is uncertain is the future.
It allows for much greater creativity and a more unique work of fiction.
Jul 18, 2012 1:11 PM
Jun 2009
I'm really not too bothered, but would go for future, simply because pretty much anything that puts an emphasis on technological advancement could potentially be a realistic future goal, which makes it interesting to think of how the world will be in the future.
Jul 18, 2012 1:19 PM

Mar 2012
I don't mind future anime but I had to go with present because I'm just used to it XD I don't really like anime set in the past because I'm not keen on history much, unless it involves dinosaurs or maybe World War 2 but I have yet to see any kinds of anime such as this XD
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SilentSuicide&sclick=1]
Jul 18, 2012 2:21 PM

Mar 2012
Present or very near future.
Jul 18, 2012 2:56 PM
May 2012
its hard to choose but i think i like anime set in the past [like fullmetal alchemist]
Jul 18, 2012 4:35 PM

Mar 2009
I prefer the present time setting.
Jul 18, 2012 4:51 PM

Jul 2010
Past all the way~.Present comes next...and well, im not really into future time setting, though there are some really good exceptions.
Jul 18, 2012 5:27 PM

Jan 2010
Jul 18, 2012 5:36 PM

Oct 2011
Present. Personally, I don't like future things much. Don't know why, I just.... don't.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 18, 2012 5:38 PM

Dec 2011
I favor the past the most. I highly enjoy anime/manga that take place during the feudal Japan eras (Samruai Champloo, Hakuouki, InuYasha, Saiunkoku Monogatari, Stepping on Roses, etc), and the victorian era and up for settings out side of Japan.

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

41 by Euroqean »»
3 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 3 hours ago

34 by Shirayukin »»
3 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

66 by EastIndiaCompany »»
7 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

12 by ShatteredSans »»
14 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

46 by Nemo_Niemand »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.