Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 17, 2012 4:47 AM
Apr 2012
flame13th said:
I don't either the series will follow the game plot exactly or not but I'm currently waiting for the story to grow more.

As for Yuuya, he is an excellent pilot but have a bad attitude due to his background being half American and half Japanese. Basically, each characters had their own tragic past.

Well... I'd probably wait for the story to further develop. Kinda sad they didn't make Muv-Luv into an animation. Love to see Shirogane Takeru kicking asses.

Personally I don't have any real interest in seeing the main trilogy animated. Why? Because:

A: I've already read it
B: It's doomed to have terrible pacing, if we only needed to make MLA into an anime, sure, but what about Extra and Unlimited? Think Extra will interest mecha fans? Besides, I never really liked Extra, it was pretty bad. Unlimited was decent, Alternative is fucking amazing. Lol.
Jul 17, 2012 6:44 AM

Apr 2010
What makes me wonder is how they find a abandoned city in Alaska while the entire Eurasia continent is lost to the Beta.
This suggests that a very large part of Humanity is already death since there are allot of people on that continent.
It also seems to Beta went for strong and united forces first since they went for Eurasia first which consists of Russia China and the European Union.
Yet they didn't went for Africa which would have been a easier target considering there isn't much union there it's basically every country for himself.
So if you look at it from that point the next target of the Beta would be the United States.
Jul 17, 2012 7:07 AM

Mar 2010
This episode wasn't even half as good and the prevous 2. Actually, it was pretty awful. We went from an actiony battleground on a nearly destroyed Earth to cliche characters playing paintball with giant mechas. WTF? Can someone tell me who is REALLY the lead? This anime doesn't seem to know it. First 2 episodes was Yui clearly the lead while now it seems like that Bridges boy is. I also have a problem with the setting. It's clearly few years on the future on Earth. What sounds crazy since BETAs moved at an insane speed. How the hell did they conquer only Eurasia? Taking IRL technology into account, there's no way USA would stop them if Japan couldn't. And Africa would be easy to conquer. Are they driking tea in England or something? So far I can see only plot holes and awful characters (at least they have interesting design) in the main story. The overdone fanservice doesn't really help it either. While the first 2 episodes it was very close to me rating it 10, now it's even closer to me dropping it. Please, someone tell me it will get better (and the main cast of the ep will get killed off).
Jul 17, 2012 8:32 AM

Nov 2011
Cratex said:
Yumekichi11 said:
That's because to fight live BETAs would be too dangerous so they do this as a alternative to practice.
Hm? Who said anything about fighting live BETA? If they've got the tech and resources to build those mecha, surely they've got the techa and resources to build reasonable mockups of a BETA attack.

A VERY good example is the US OPFOR. This force was dedicated to train US units and used actual Soviet doctrine with acquired or simulated Soviet equipment. (From what I've read, they had a very good win/loss track record, to boot.)

As always, take the Wiki with a grain of salt, but it is always a good place to start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposing_force

Training to fight other mecha, using HUMAN tactics, seems to me basically a waste of precious time.

Average survival time against BETA is 8 minutes. Anything better than that, then you are an Ace. You expect to train against that? Ep 2 shows that BETA Armor capable of deflecting 360mm bullet, size of small destroyer cannon. I admit that training against human seems a little pointless, but what you train in here is not combat capability, its survivability and escape tactics.

I'm not playing the VN but I think this is a story how humans fight and defies nearly certain extinction (I LIKE IT)
Jul 17, 2012 8:37 AM

Nov 2011
HikaruIzumi said:
This episode wasn't even half as good and the prevous 2. Actually, it was pretty awful. We went from an actiony battleground on a nearly destroyed Earth to cliche characters playing paintball with giant mechas. WTF? Can someone tell me who is REALLY the lead? This anime doesn't seem to know it. First 2 episodes was Yui clearly the lead while now it seems like that Bridges boy is. I also have a problem with the setting. It's clearly few years on the future on Earth. What sounds crazy since BETAs moved at an insane speed. How the hell did they conquer only Eurasia? Taking IRL technology into account, there's no way USA would stop them if Japan couldn't. And Africa would be easy to conquer. Are they driking tea in England or something? So far I can see only plot holes and awful characters (at least they have interesting design) in the main story. The overdone fanservice doesn't really help it either. While the first 2 episodes it was very close to me rating it 10, now it's even closer to me dropping it. Please, someone tell me it will get better (and the main cast of the ep will get killed off).

Its not in the future, in fact it is in alternate 20th century. TSF names derive from existing planes (Tornado, Jian-10, Raptor, Tomcat, not sure about Type-94). Thats why all existing TSF use live ammunition and catridge system. Even I don't get how Gundams replenish ammunition and missiles, they seems endless. At least Muv-Luv shows that.
Jul 17, 2012 9:11 AM

Mar 2010
hnryirawan said:

Its not in the future, in fact it is in alternate 20th century. TSF names derive from existing planes (Tornado, Jian-10, Raptor, Tomcat, not sure about Type-94). Thats why all existing TSF use live ammunition and catridge system. Even I don't get how Gundams replenish ammunition and missiles, they seems endless. At least Muv-Luv shows that.

No, I meant it compared to the first 2 episodes. It's few/several years (judging by how old Yui is now) later yet we are left at the same point of war as we were at the end of the 2nd episode (Eurasia conquered).
Jul 17, 2012 9:12 AM
Apr 2012
hnryirawan said:
HikaruIzumi said:

Japanese TSF names are made up since they don't have any real life counterparts.

That said, I too wonder why Africa hasn't gotten fucked by the BETA yet when Europe has, lol.

As for America, well, except for the part where it's sort of connected to Russia, all that ocean probably does a pretty good job at keeping BETA away, those bastards go along the ocean floor but they're probably not too keen on crossing the Atlantic.

HikaruIzumi said:
hnryirawan said:

No, I meant it compared to the first 2 episodes. It's few/several years (judging by how old Yui is now) later yet we are left at the same point of war as we were at the end of the 2nd episode (Eurasia conquered).

The war with BETA has been going on for like 30+ years already, 3 years isn't that much in comparison, I guess.
Jul 17, 2012 9:16 AM

Nov 2011
Well it was expected this ep wasnt going to be as good as the other two after seeing the time jump in the last ep, the protagonist suddenly didnt even look like a protagonist anymore in this ep but just a normal side character. Atleast they developed a proper OP video

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jul 17, 2012 9:21 AM
Jul 2012
HikaruIzumi said:
Taking IRL technology into account, there's no way USA would stop them if Japan couldn't.

Just registered to point out how little you obviously know. Taking IRL technology into account, US military tech is so far ahead of the rest of the world, it almost hurts. If anyone is going to stop anyone, taking IRL technology into account, it's the USA.

maxie said:

That said, I too wonder why Africa hasn't gotten fucked by the BETA yet when Europe has, lol.

They're being held at the Suez Canal by African and Eastern European remnants. Much like how things are being held in Japan.

Same applies to the UK. Western Europeans, US reinforcements and the like are holding the BETA at the Channel.
Jul 17, 2012 9:26 AM
Apr 2012
Zee530 said:
Well it was expected this ep wasnt going to be as good as the other two after seeing the time jump in the last ep, the protagonist suddenly didnt even look like a protagonist anymore in this ep but just a normal side character. Atleast they developed a proper OP video

Well I guess it's a bit weird since she isn't *the* protag, just one of the more important side characters. First two episodes aren't really there for her backstory, but rather to introduce the world setting.

LordofHomo said:
HikaruIzumi said:
Taking IRL technology into account, there's no way USA would stop them if Japan couldn't.

Just registered to point out how little you obviously know. Taking IRL technology into account, US military tech is so far ahead of the rest of the world, it almost hurts. If anyone is going to stop anyone, taking IRL technology into account, it's the USA.

maxie said:

They're being held at the Suez Canal by African and Eastern European remnants. Much like how things are being held in Japan.

Same applies to the UK. Western Europeans, US reinforcements and the like are holding the BETA at the Channel.

Water always seems to help against BETA, lol. Anyone else sad to see that their own country got completely screwed by BETA? Sweden ):
Jul 17, 2012 10:13 AM

Sep 2007
maxie said:
Personally I don't have any real interest in seeing the main trilogy animated. Why? Because:

A: I've already read it
B: It's doomed to have terrible pacing, if we only needed to make MLA into an anime, sure, but what about Extra and Unlimited? Think Extra will interest mecha fans? Besides, I never really liked Extra, it was pretty bad. Unlimited was decent, Alternative is fucking amazing.

I kind of fall in with your line of thought here, especially B. Extra/Unlimited/Alternative are already fully available and translated, the limited movement available in a VN engine has its own charm; and Alternative especially starts off full of little jokes and plays on the way Takeru is 'replaying' events, which is a kind of videogame-focused thing which would be lost in an anime.
Jul 17, 2012 10:16 AM

Dec 2008
maxie said:
Water always seems to help against BETA, lol. Anyone else sad to see that their own country got completely screwed by BETA? Sweden ):

Luxembourg, Belgium and France: not surprised though <:
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Jul 17, 2012 11:01 AM

Jun 2008
Hakoria said:
maxie said:

It's kind of funny how the BETA conquered all Europe and Asia but didn't even set foot on Africa.
Europe is full of nations with decent defense armaments and Asia even has strong army nations like Russia and China and yet the BETA conquered all that while Africa that is full of half-ass nations in terms of army power was left alone. Why is that? Are the BETA focusing on opponents they know are dangerous? Then their next target i guess should be the US.
Also Britain getting away with it seems strange. Normally i would have assumed that the sea provided a certain defense for the British like it did in WWII but the BETA hardly seem to be affected about the sea when they invaded Japan.
Jul 17, 2012 11:06 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Very different episode from the previous two. Some other series would have chosen to include these as a flashback in the middle of the series but this works too. The characters were pretty generic but o.k. The combat scenes were great but I didn't like the music.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 17, 2012 1:37 PM

Dec 2008
Sudden change in pace and quality of story, still nice to have a decent OP.
Jul 17, 2012 2:13 PM

May 2008
antonn said:
BULLDOG266 said:
Am I missing something here? In three years this faggot ass bitch here:

Becomes instantaneously hostile with our Americana here:

????
The fuck is her problem? Loved his reaction tho. It was like screaming "You want to start something Japanese punk ass bitch? We kicked your ass in WWII and I sure as hell don't have a problem with spanking it now."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtNHuqHWefU

This just made my day
kyubey is watching you (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ )
Jul 17, 2012 2:25 PM

May 2008
Also to everyone questioning the BETA's tactics part of the issue is that the BETA have not seemed to use war strategies or tactics just yet. They just kind of charge somewhere. The BETA came to earth via large pillars that slammed into the ground. They create a large network of tunnels that extend from the center(the pillar). But they do not stray too far from the center of the Hive. There are no hives currently in Africa so they have not attacked it. There are also none in America. (Although I believe there was one but they nuked it if I remember correctly)
kyubey is watching you (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ )
Jul 17, 2012 8:08 PM

Apr 2010
Not really sure who to quote. But the reason why the US is fine is because when the BETA landed on Earth, they landed in Canada & the US nuked(literally, A-bombs) them as they landed.
Jul 17, 2012 9:34 PM

Jan 2011
well guess the first 2 episodes really were just a Ga-rei set up and this was a intro even though it was i felt like there was alot of things that left me confused so i'm gonna hold out on judging this till later,best thing this it has going for it so far are it's mech designs!
Jul 17, 2012 10:16 PM
Aug 2010
Monad said:
Hakoria said:
maxie said:

It's kind of funny how the BETA conquered all Europe and Asia but didn't even set foot on Africa.
Europe is full of nations with decent defense armaments and Asia even has strong army nations like Russia and China and yet the BETA conquered all that while Africa that is full of half-ass nations in terms of army power was left alone. Why is that? Are the BETA focusing on opponents they know are dangerous? Then their next target i guess should be the US.
Also Britain getting away with it seems strange. Normally i would have assumed that the sea provided a certain defense for the British like it did in WWII but the BETA hardly seem to be affected about the sea when they invaded Japan.

BETA avoid the ocean unless they have too in which case they are fine with going through water its just they don't if they can avoid it.
and for the rest of the world here is what is actually going on.
In europe the beta advance is stopped at the strait of Dover England by the various remaining European military forces.The most powerful being the military of Germany, UK, and France.They are also augmented by an naval US carrier fleet and its marine expedition unit. The beta did make one successful push at London but the timely arrival of German CHIVALRY the catastrophe was averted and London was saved.
Down south the beta is held in check at the suez canal by the Turkish, Israeli and the Iranians. The BETA do want Africa but the Arabs and Jews managed to put their mutual grudge aside and instead channel it into smouldering, unchecked holy hatred of the BETAs. Between that and the Suez Canal becoming God's own Absolute Defense Line, the BETA have been unable to advance into Africa. Good thing, too, because a huge amount of the raw resources feeding America's world-supplying war industry come from the Africa.
In asia its at the philipines and Taiwan the betas are halted by the USMC and china and Taiwan's surviving forces.
Up north the russians managed to hold the line just west of magadan in siberia. And the US leased half of alaska to the Russians to house their political leaders and refugees.
The USA is virtually untouched due to the US airforce nuking canada when a beta hive landed in Manitoba and Saskatchewan before the hive managed to grow any laser classes. Over 40% of canada is radio active and so is part of North Dakota and Minnesota. Alberta, Saskatchewan,Manitoba and Ontario are no longer inhabitable.
Jul 18, 2012 4:16 AM
Apr 2012
shadowduel said:
Monad said:
Hakoria said:
maxie said:

BETA avoid the ocean unless they have too in which case they are fine with going through water its just they don't if they can avoid it.
In europe the beta advance is stopped at the strait of Dover England by the various remaining European military forces.The most powerful being the military of Germany, UK, and France.They are also augmented by an naval US carrier fleet and its marine expedition unit. The beta did make one successful push at London but the timely arrival of German CHIVALRY the catastrophe was averted and London was saved.
Down south the beta is held in check at the suez canal by the Turkish, Israeli and the Iranians. The BETA do want Africa but the Arabs and Jews managed to put their mutual grudge aside and instead channel it into smouldering, unchecked holy hatred of the BETAs. Between that and the Suez Canal becoming God's own Absolute Defense Line, the BETA have been unable to advance into Africa. Good thing, too, because a huge amount of the raw resources feeding America's world-supplying war industry come from the Africa.
In asia its at the philipines and Taiwan the betas are halted by the USMC and china and Taiwan's surviving forces.
Up north the russians managed to hold the line just west of magadan in siberia. And the US leased half of alaska to the Russians to house their political leaders and refugees.
The USA is virtually untouched due to the US airforce nuking canada when a beta hive landed in Manitoba and Saskatchewan before the hive managed to grow any laser classes. Over 40% of canada is radio active and so is part of North Dakota and Minnesota. Alberta, Saskatchewan,Manitoba and Ontario are no longer inhabitable.

Information bomb... I love it :D
Jul 18, 2012 4:29 AM

Apr 2010
antonn said:
Not really sure who to quote. But the reason why the US is fine is because when the BETA landed on Earth, they landed in Canada & the US nuked(literally, A-bombs) them as they landed.
shadowduel said:
That sounds like a good possibility except from one thing.
Russia and China wouldn't hesitate to use nuclear weapons either and the strongest nuclear weapon ever made was Russian.
And even tho most country's in Europe deny having nuclear weapons they do actually have them.

Then there is also South America and Australia why are there no hives there?
Jul 18, 2012 6:11 AM
Jul 2012
I have a question, anybody know if there is any romance in MLATE? like between Yuuya and Yui? ^^
Jul 18, 2012 9:38 AM

Jun 2008
shadowduel said:
Monad said:
Hakoria said:
maxie said:

Except if the hives landed inside Germany and Spain or something like that, holding a defense line in Britain makes no sense. If European forces had the power to hold a defense line against the BETA why would they get crammed-up in holding it in Britain and not holding in France or something when they still had some territory?
And how did the German troops came in help of London? Came from where? Their country and the rest of Europe is already under the BETA, weren't they already in London?
Also even if Iran, Israel and Turkish forces retreated in the Suez canal and somehow managed to hold it, the BETA can always attack from Spain or even under the Suez canal defense line since they got hold of Saudi Arabia.
Also who the hell holds a line at Philippines? If you are in Philippines there is no line to hold just a few islands.The BETA actually care about going there? If i was a BETA leader i would just ignore them and conquer everything else around them and let them starve to death. And Taiwan has survival forces? I didn't even knew they had an army.

BTw looking at that map again i see that Japan isn't conquered but only a few places of it. So Japan still holds?

Aversa said:
antonn said:
shadowduel said:
Russia and China wouldn't hesitate to use nuclear weapons either and the strongest nuclear weapon ever made was Russian.
And even tho most country's in Europe deny having nuclear weapons they do actually have them.

Well against Hollywood beliefs, history has proven that Americans are actually more trigger happy than the Russians so yeah maybe Russians and Chinese did hesitated more on pushing the button. Especially if the hives where inside their lands and not a neighboring nation that they feel like they own.
And what Europe nations have nuclear power and deny it? Is no secret that France,United Kingdom have nuclear weapons. The only one i can think is Germany. Balkan states or Scandinavian states certainly don't have any.

South America and Australia? Maybe for the same reason no hive landed in middle of Africa. They landed the hives they had close to the strongest opponents.
Jul 18, 2012 11:11 AM

Apr 2010
Monad said:

Except if the hives landed inside Germany and Spain or something like that, holding a defense line in Britain makes no sense. If European forces had the power to hold a defense line against the BETA why would they get crammed-up in holding it in Britain and not holding in France or something when they still had some territory?
And how did the German troops came in help of London? Came from where? Their country and the rest of Europe is already under the BETA, weren't they already in London?
Also even if Iran, Israel and Turkish forces retreated in the Suez canal and somehow managed to hold it, the BETA can always attack from Spain or even under the Suez canal defense line since they got hold of Saudi Arabia.
Also who the hell holds a line at Philippines? If you are in Philippines there is no line to hold just a few islands.The BETA actually care about going there? If i was a BETA leader i would just ignore them and conquer everything else around them and let them starve to death. And Taiwan has survival forces? I didn't even knew they had an army.

BTw looking at that map again i see that Japan isn't conquered but only a few places of it. So Japan still holds?
It was mentioned that Japan was doing a impressive job at holding back the Beta despite the fact that there was some Beta in there territory.

I agree with you that the Beta could have used Spain to get to Morocco and invade Africa from there this again raises the question why didn't they?
Since it's clear that they are trying to get into Africa by attacking at the Suez channel.

Monad said:
Aversa said:
antonn said:
shadowduel said:

Well against Hollywood beliefs, history has proven that Americans are actually more trigger happy than the Russians so yeah maybe Russians and Chinese did hesitated more on pushing the button. Especially if the hives where inside their lands and not a neighboring nation that they feel like they own.
And what Europe nations have nuclear power and deny it? Is no secret that France,United Kingdom have nuclear weapons. The only one i can think is Germany. Balkan states or Scandinavian states certainly don't have any.

South America and Australia? Maybe for the same reason no hive landed in middle of Africa. They landed the hives they had close to the strongest opponents.
There are country's in Europe that have nuclear weapons and are honest about this but there are a few that have them even tho they deny this tho they could also be apart of the Nuclear weapons sharing States which includes Germany.
And let's not forget that the story started in 1997 when it was mentioned that the Beta landed thirty years ago which means during the Cold War at which point there where several US army basses in Europe and it wouldn't be surprising if some of them had nuclear weapons.

America might be trigger happy but i think your underestimating the Russians and the Chinese here i think they would have used them since this means protecting themselves.
Let's not forget that there isn't a large population in Central Eurasia and casualties would have stayed to a minimum.
The only reason i could think of why they would not have used nuclear weapons is because they might have been afraid of pissing of each other.

The main reason why i asked South America is because the American continent is pretty much untouched except for Canada.
And the first mad we saw during the first episode showed that several hives landed on the Eurasia continent so why one one the the American continent?
Jul 18, 2012 3:55 PM
Aug 2010
Aversa said:

Its not a possibility its actually Muvluv canon.
the in universe truth is that Humanity have yet to find an effective way of delivering a Nuclear strike package In the presence of Laser classes without resorting to Kamikaze suicide charges with Nukes which would mean massive sacrifices to get the Nuke into play.
In terms the BETA are far from Brainless, their laser class are known to target airborne targets that poses the most threat as if they are guided by an omnipotent force so you can't sneak a Nuke in with other normal missiles hoping it would get in through by chance. In the end it was too late for China and Russia to use Nukes and the European did not want to nuke their own countries instead investing in masaive defense lines with minefields and artillery and interlocking fields of fire to slow the BETA for 20 years. . there are actually a series of novels dedicated to the events in Europe that i hope can get a adaption one day.

as too why there are no hives in Several continets of this world its beacuse the humans in muvluv do possess a space borne fleet and defense system. The space fleet’s main job is to nuke every incoming beta hive Asteroids launched at earth from the moon or mars, an act that is instrumental in stopping the beta from establishing more foot hold on earth than they already have. ANd before you ask, yes they do orbital kinetic strike like in Tom clancy's endwar. As well as dropping TSF in drop pods at 15,000 kilometers per hour behind enemy lines and yes the Laser class is a threat to anything and everything deployed at them even from space.

Monad said:

BTw looking at that map again i see that Japan isn't conquered but only a few places of it. So Japan still holds?.

Their is actually an hive in Lyon France. And Yes all surviving European forces have their home base set On England and Canada. The German Troops in question pulled back from their defense line which they held to save London when its walls were breached by the BETA when they penetrated and collapsed part of the British defense lines in . The germans were the first to arrive and bought enough time For reinforcements to show up and preserved most of London.

As for africa, as i have mentioned before the Beta avoid large bodies of water if possible, it doesn't mean they don't try is just that the numbers of beta going into the water is far less than the ones trying to cross the Suez canal since there is a hive in Iran most BETA from that hive prefers to hit Suez. And obviously Humans aren't that retarded, their are defenses set up all along africa's cost lines and the seemingly all mighty US Navy and its numerous carrier fleets patrol the world's oceans and can provide support to nay hot spot around the world. I also forgot to mention The Gibraltar is also defended by a French lead multinational Task force.

As for the the phillipines, you didn't read what i wrote. I said they were halted at the Philippines. To explain, The surviving Chinese PLA(people's liberation army-communist China mainland) navy and RCA(republic of china army-Taiwan) with the help of local forces, the Australian navy and the US marines have effectively Made the area a kill zone and routinely cleanse the area of any BETA Presence.

Japan had the unfortunate fate of 2 hives landing in its territory, Both however are relatively new and one of the Hive in Yokohama was used to test an experimental weapon which destroyed the HIVE in 1999. The weapon is a USA developed G-bomb and can be delivered via aerial means due to the fact that the G-bomb causes an 5th dimensional gravitational effect whens its primed for detonation. This results is a distortion field cast around the missile and it is capable of bending even lux class lasers.However the damage caused by an G-bomb is considered to be far too damaging to the Earth(its affects the laws of physics on the are as we know it far worse than radiation damage) as a viable option to use in conventional warfare and will be used only as a last resort.

Also if you are wondering why it took the BETA 30 years to only gain so little if they are so powerful and numerous. its because the BETA do not consider the humans a threat anymore than we considers Rats living in our backyard to be of a threat. When the BETA do consider the humans a threat it has shown that even a small number(by Beta standards) of betas living on Borrowed time were able to out-maneuver, out flank and out smart its human opponents with feints , targeting supply lines and cutting off lines of communications and basically doing tactically sound things no one in universe expected brainless aliens to be doing. The BETAs are just autonomous mining bio-machines sent by their creator races and not really meant for war. The BETA only seeks to harvest earth's resources and humanity barely registers on their threat meter and are only treated as obstacles to be removed so a hive can expand its mining operations.

And sorry for my poor grammar and punctuation, as i m not a native english speaker.
Jul 18, 2012 5:40 PM
Apr 2012
Shadowduel I sort of think that your post contains some MLA spoilers... well, I guess you can view it as nothing big, but... I still feel like pointing that out ;/

This:

I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing, lol.
Jul 18, 2012 6:56 PM

Dec 2009
Anyone notice that the Narrator for the episode is Yuuko-sensei? XD
Jul 19, 2012 3:23 AM

Jan 2008
Doesn't anyone else find it funny that an ET can just land on earth? I mean, if they really came from mars as the first episode suggested it means they have no atmosphere, no bacteria, etc.

Like hell they can just land on earth.

Also, why did Japan send out young women when they still have men that can fight? It probably takes less time to train an able grown man than to train a young girl. It's a waste of resources, men are just (physically) stronger than women so they can handle physical abuse better.
The first two episodes were full of stupid plot elements just to show some fanservice and show as much drama as possible.
Jul 19, 2012 4:39 AM

Nov 2007
reaper_unique said:

Also, why did Japan send out young women when they still have men that can fight? It probably takes less time to train an able grown man than to train a young girl. It's a waste of resources, men are just (physically) stronger than women so they can handle physical abuse better.
The first two episodes were full of stupid plot elements just to show some fanservice and show as much drama as possible.

Earth's population at that point is down to about 1 billion from the original 6+ billion, what makes you think they wouldn't be fielding anyone with an able body at that point, regardless of gender?

The military was originally primarily made up of men and the more experienced and higher ranking individuals are generally still male, because they've been deploying men for a longer period of time. Cadets at this point are mainly female because when you've lost 5.5 billion people there aren't many humans left who can fight (especially when as like you suggested, they originally sent out mostly men to fight and when they die that's it, it's time to send out the women or be wiped out.) I agree about the fanservice and poor execution of the episodes though, but that's just poor adaption at work. The first two episodes aren't even part of the original story.
Jul 19, 2012 6:22 AM

Jun 2008
reaper_unique said:
Doesn't anyone else find it funny that an ET can just land on earth? I mean, if they really came from mars as the first episode suggested it means they have no atmosphere, no bacteria, etc.

Are you shitting me? So they should wait until every man on earth is dead to start using women? Sir we have 50 million women we can use. Irrelevant there are still 100 men. Lets wait until they die.
Jul 19, 2012 6:26 AM

Jun 2008
Urobuchi said:
I agree about the fanservice and poor execution of the episodes though, but that's just poor adaption at work. The first two episodes aren't even part of the original story.

Cut it with your novel superiority syndrome already. It's so annoying. The series wasn't poorly executed and the second episode was awesome. Not being in the novel doesn't make it not awesome.
Also from what i hear this an alternative story so it isn't adaptation at all is it?
Jul 19, 2012 8:27 AM

Apr 2010
reaper_unique said:
Usually the first ones to be send out to battle are men and at this point where 1 billion people have been killed be the Beta it's safe to assume that most victims where male.
At some point you have to stop distinguishing between male and female and start sending out woman as well as there simply won't be enough men around any more to fight.
There probably more female around in this world them male.
Also about the age you start training your soldiers it's better to start young since this war has already been going on for more then 30 years it's safe to assume that most older people have some kind of military history.
And starting with training at a young age you learn your soldiers what they made expect when there out on the battlefield they will also be better trained that soldiers that got summoned for national service at a older age.
Also when civilians get called for national service they usually get a fast course since they need to be on the battlefield as fast as possible meaning the only know that basics when they arrive at the battlefield.
But if you start training them at a young age they will be allot better trained when they arrive at the battlefield.
Jul 19, 2012 9:02 AM
Apr 2012
Monad said:
Urobuchi said:
I agree about the fanservice and poor execution of the episodes though, but that's just poor adaption at work. The first two episodes aren't even part of the original story.

Cut it with your novel superiority syndrome already. It's so annoying. The series wasn't poorly executed and the second episode was awesome. Not being in the novel doesn't make it not awesome.
Also from what i hear this an alternative story so it isn't adaptation at all is it?

MLA is the main story - a visual novel.
MLA:TE is a side story, light novel (now anime).

The first two episodes are there because simply jumping into the ln content would've been confusing for anyone who isn't already into the franchise, so yeah, they were original content for the anime. And I think they did a pretty good job with introducing the world setting with those two episodes, but yeah, I think I'm affected by the "novel superiority syndrome" as well, hehe.
reaper_unique said:

BETA is BETA, just... don't try to apply human logic to them... they can appearantly survive on mars and the moon, and countless other planets, why wouldn't they be able to survive on Earth? Just because they are carbon based it doesn't mean they work just like creatures from Earth do.
Jul 19, 2012 9:35 AM

Nov 2007
Monad said:
Urobuchi said:

Total Eclipse isn't part of the main series, but it's still originally a light novel which means this is still an adaption. Also the actual Alternative VN which is 18+ (although there is an all ages version) is way more respectable in terms of fanservice and such which is kind of sad really and the fanservice is totally unnecessary to the show (outside of the suits themselves, but all the changing scenes and such and overused breast physics really aren't needed.) I would be saying that whether it was an adaption or not.

As for the first two episodes, they were too short no matter how you look at it. Yes it was a good idea to cover Yui's past, but it should have been 3 episodes, episode 2 went by way too fast and I think even the training part went by a bit too fast. "Not being in the novel" isn't the issue, this was actually a smart alteration, but it doesn't mean that the execution was as good as the idea. When I said it's not part of the original story I'm saying it so that people don't direct any issues they have with the anime at the franchise as a whole for things that the franchise didn't originally include.

But the real issues are with ignoring some basic and clearly stated facts, for example beams from Laser class BETA are meant to fire for a few seconds at a time rather than a single instant flash, they also require 12 seconds to recahrge for another shot and then there's the issue of TSFs instantly exploding to a single laser shot every time, when they're built to resist laser fire for about 4 seconds. When adapting something it's always good to remain as consistent and accurate as you can be rather than be lazy about details just because you assume most viewers will be ignorant of the source. Being able to get away with it isn't a good justification. Anyone is free to like this anime for what it is, even I'm enjoying it, but despite that it still has its fair share of issues as far as an adaption goes. These are all just minor things (well aside from the total lack of ablative coating causing TSFs to explode instantly, that's a pretty big deal actually), but like I said I'm enjoying it. Doesn't mean I can't point them out though.

What's "annoying" is people saying that other people can't critique a show based on how well it's adapted from the original just because they haven't seen the original themselves.
Jul 19, 2012 11:23 AM

Nov 2010
Just want to clear some common misunderstanding :

1. There are two kind of Hives, Hives that come from space and hives that created by BETA in earth.
There are only two hives that came from space, one in Kazakhstan and the other came to Canada.
The one in Canada wiped with tons of nuclear bombs after they learned from China and USSR mistake : letting them to develop laser class BETA. Kazakhstan hive, in the other side, continue to spread new hives (within a fixed range after the previous hive) around Eurasia.

There are no more hives from space due to a space project that nuke any hive that comes from Moon, in space. That's why Australia and America are relatively safe.

2. BETA aren't totally mindless
This is quite complicated to explain, but the main point is that they are well coordinated and has a certain goal, which is still unrevealed at this point of story.

Also, they also has a way to detect computers and humans, thus human could develop a tactical strategy to counter they line of thinking and attack pattern. It could change over time with a certain method, though.

==============================================
I don't want to infodump, but sometimes seeing too many people having too many misconceptions are quite a depressing sight.

Gentlemen, they are still in their first original episode. It's hard to explain a very rich setting in MuvLuverse with one to three episodes, even if the director decides to change all beginning episodes into infodumping. Be patient.
Jul 19, 2012 12:36 PM

Nov 2010
Some awesome Mecha fighting here, although not as impressive as the previous episode
Jul 19, 2012 1:01 PM
Apr 2012
Urobuchi said:
Monad said:
Urobuchi said:

Total Eclipse isn't part of the main series, but it's still originally a light novel which means this is still an adaption. Also the actual Alternative VN which is 18+ (although there is an all ages version) is way more respectable in terms of fanservice and such which is kind of sad really and the fanservice is totally unnecessary to the show (outside of the suits themselves, but all the changing scenes and such and overused breast physics really aren't needed.) I would be saying that whether it was an adaption or not.

As for the first two episodes, they were too short no matter how you look at it. Yes it was a good idea to cover Yui's past, but it should have been 3 episodes, episode 2 went by way too fast and I think even the training part went by a bit too fast. "Not being in the novel" isn't the issue, this was actually a smart alteration, but it doesn't mean that the execution was as good as the idea. When I said it's not part of the original story I'm saying it so that people don't direct any issues they have with the anime at the franchise as a whole for things that the franchise didn't originally include.

But the real issues are with ignoring some basic and clearly stated facts, for example beams from Laser class BETA are meant to fire for a few seconds at a time rather than a single instant flash, they also require 12 seconds to recahrge for another shot and then there's the issue of TSFs instantly exploding to a single laser shot every time, when they're built to resist laser fire for about 4 seconds. When adapting something it's always good to remain as consistent and accurate as you can be rather than be lazy about details just because you assume most viewers will be ignorant of the source. Being able to get away with it isn't a good justification. Anyone is free to like this anime for what it is, even I'm enjoying it, but despite that it still has its fair share of issues as far as an adaption goes. These are all just minor things (well aside from the total lack of ablative coating causing TSFs to explode instantly, that's a pretty big deal actually), but like I said I'm enjoying it. Doesn't mean I can't point them out though.

What's "annoying" is people saying that other people can't critique a show based on how well it's adapted from the original just because they haven't seen the original themselves.

The point about the laser class is soemthing I noticed when I watched the episode... saw someone get instantly killed by laser despite the 4 second armor thing... should've been 2-3 seconds constant fire before exploding imho but I guess you can call that nitpicking...
Jul 19, 2012 8:29 PM

Jul 2012
So I'm not the only one who thought of Ga-Rei: Zero after finishing the third episode, right? Right?

I don't really like or even understand a lot about this anime. When I start caring I'll read through some of the posts on this thread and try to get it.
Jul 21, 2012 2:30 PM

Feb 2008
Japanese doll....i like it.
Jul 21, 2012 5:52 PM

Aug 2008
Decent episode although I'm not really interested in anybody except for Inia and Cryska. I need more of their badassery.
Jul 21, 2012 10:19 PM

May 2011
It was cool to see the actual cast of characters get introduced I guess. That Tarisa sure can get annoying, and Yuuya's got a problem with Japan I see. Eh I don't like these two very much atm though those nicknames aren't bad. And aww Yui is like a side character now.
Jul 22, 2012 6:46 PM

Jul 2011
ahh a nice breath of fresh air, with some new characters. These one's seem to actually be somewhat interesting too. That test fight was actually pretty cool, but the preceding scenes were pretty boring.

But one thing I can't get over is how much that japanese girl looks like lelouche, wth.
Jul 23, 2012 4:09 AM

Jan 2011
I had to think about any relations with the previous 2 episodes.
Nice introduction to new characters, this seems promising but that girl is annoying.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jul 30, 2012 7:06 AM
Jul 2012
Episodes 1 and 2 were the introduction to the MLA Universe.

Episode 3 is the actual introduction to MLA:TE (And hence probably the final change to the OP and ED).

Before I get started, I simply have to say I love the "Voice of the Legion" Cryska used when she was pursuing Tarisa. She should use that sexy voice more often.

And then we get introduced to the American representatives for the XFJ Project. Vincent already starts off as the easy-going kind, and Yuuya already gives us the "I deserve better than this" look. (Along with "I got demoted to Alaska"). Oh, and the "Too cool to be bothered" look.

Takamura gets lost on the first day (reminds me of me, actually). Inia appears out of nowhere and gives directions. (She'll probably pull off more of this "I'll appear when I feel like it, everywhere I explore" stunt again.)

Then we get to introductions proper. And Yuuya begins his Kira-Analysis, as well as his obvious disdain for the Japanese.

Then to the practise combat round. Nothing much to say here, I just sat back and watched the entertainment.

It is an introduction episode after all, so I didn't expect much. I'd say this gets a 3/5. A bit lacklustre compared to the pilot episodes, but one was a condensed, rushed global introduction while this one is merely a a character setup.

Oh, and anyone who's new to the series probably starts to consider dropping this series after a few more episodes, because of the drastic change of.... everything.

Spoilers ahead, warning given, but you might want to read it if you are one of those considering the drop.

Nov 25, 2012 5:37 PM

Mar 2012
The ending was nice. He was pissed and called her a Japanese Dol. i wonder if he truly showed his true powers or is he hiding it
Oct 25, 2013 2:15 AM

Jan 2012
mamiko noto + gore = count me in!
May 27, 2014 8:28 AM

Jun 2011
Top Gun was pretty cool, so was Venus. Chobi is annoying, and the Japaese Doll is kinda cold, well, after what happened to her, I guess, but still I don't like it. I like the feel of this episode, but something feels wrong, it's like the series is jumping everywhere with every episode. -.- Hope it stabilize soon.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Aug 6, 2014 1:55 AM

Jul 2008
Yep, I'm liking Yui trying to take Top Gun there down a notch but looks like he needs a few more kicks in the groin.

Just thinking out loud but the BETA's just stopped the war or something, I find it hard to believe that in three years they didn't conquer the world.
Apr 28, 2015 11:29 AM

Jan 2014
stuck up main character girl acting bitchy on her 1st conversation with the main guy... lo lo lo lol... I could said that right back at her time during the 1st 2 episodes...
Got something to live for, I know that I won't surrender,
A warrior of youth,
I'm taking over, a shot to the new world order
I Am Bulletproof. . .

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Season 2?

Allenkilla1 - Jun 11, 2013

45 by SlimShadyArgos1 »»
Dec 30, 2023 3:23 AM

» Muv Luv's Japanese critique of Americans

Jerrychiang - Aug 3, 2012

45 by 8man226 »»
Nov 9, 2023 7:32 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 1, 2012

175 by Zane_0 »»
Aug 9, 2023 10:56 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2012

146 by tinitits »»
Feb 28, 2023 9:49 AM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2012

52 by SMmania123 »»
Aug 13, 2022 8:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.