Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Genma Taisen Episode 1 Discussion

Jul 13, 2012 9:54 PM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So, this movie has some of the best visuals I've ever seen. Actually, I'd even say that the fire dragon scene is the greatest animation out of all the anime I've watched. I didn't blink or close my jaw until it was over. It makes some of those great scenes from Gurren Lagann (the ones done with a similar style) seem like second rate imitations in comparison. The other scenes were really pretty too, I especially appreciated the lighting and use of color.

I know the plot isn't anything to write home about, but complaining about that in light of the great visuals and direction just seems like whining to me. Still though, I can't give it a perfect 10/10. It had half the equation down, but was lacking in some areas, so ultimately I give it an 8/10.

It's definitely a lost classic, and no fucking way does it deserve a 5.31 rating. Are you dweebs insane?
“I can't stand pretty opinions!”

Jan 10, 2014 5:07 PM

Seabury said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So, this movie has some of the best visuals I've ever seen. Actually, I'd even say that the fire dragon scene is the greatest animation out of all the anime I've watched. I didn't blink or close my jaw until it was over. It makes some of those great scenes from Gurren Lagann (the ones done with a similar style) seem like second rate imitations in comparison. The other scenes were really pretty too, I especially appreciated the lighting and use of color.

I know the plot isn't anything to write home about, but complaining about that in light of the great visuals and direction just seems like whining to me. Still though, I can't give it a perfect 10/10. It had half the equation down, but was lacking in some areas, so ultimately I give it an 8/10.

It's definitely a lost classic, and no fucking way does it deserve a 5.31 rating. Are you dweebs insane?

Really, dude?

I'll agree that some of the scenes were well animated here and there, but the animation was awful in most places: too many still shots, recycled animation and limited animation. Heck, the scene of New York being flooded was a series of paintings by Katsuhiro Otomo. That's not animation, that's just cutting corners. Akira felt more alive than this.

Also, an incredibly boring plot, forgettable characters, and generic psychic fighting won't do the movie justice, even with the nice animation. And this rule should apply to all animated movies.
I know Kung-Food!

Jan 10, 2014 9:53 PM

It's been a year and a half since I saw it last, so I can't say I remember too much about the animation aside from the fire dragon. I do remember lots of still shots though. In my memory those were all appropriately placed to drive home a surreal feeling that was fitting in light of all the psychic activity. Or maybe I'm thinking of slow shots, not still shots.

Anyways, I never would claim that this was the best-animated film out there. It ultimately lacked the budget, or perhaps they had the budget but they blew it all on the fire dragon scene. I wouldn't actually say that it's *bad* though. Not up to Akira levels is hardly a damning criticism! Like I said, I really liked the lighting and use of color. Animation isn't the only visual element, and I think that all of the other visual elements were extremely impressive.
“I can't stand pretty opinions!”

Jun 29, 2016 10:06 PM
This movie is still considered good in Japan; meanwhile a bunch of morons in the early 90s when this movie was licensed in the US said it was an abomination and an Akira ripoff (despite being based on a 60s Ishinomori manga that inspired Akira) and, seeing as the extremely cliquey "old-school anime fan" community is incapable of forming their own opinions, this has become the stock opinion that everyone parrots.

The general reaction was been helped by Anime News Network's pretentious clown Justin Sevakis' "WORST ANIME EVER" article on it. Ironically the reasons for this movie's "horribleness" are also present in Cyborg 009 but everyone, including ANN itself, says "oh, it's just a sign of when it was made, whatever, it's still fun" and forgives it for it. But those very same flaws supposedly make this the worst trash in the world.

Don't listen to anyone when they say an 80s anime is legendarily horrible. All second-hand opinions from some of the most tasteless people on earth.
Modified by busterbeam, Jun 29, 2016 10:36 PM

Jun 11, 3:47 AM

Well designed (thanks to Otomo), drawn and animated (with some highlights like the aforementionned lava/fire dragon). I think the directing was also pretty good (sublimating the apocalyptic sceneries in the later segments), only the music score placement and the cuts and (lack of) ties made to tell what looked like an intended long epic story in a two hours compressed movie. Some music tracks were also pretty bad (compared to their 70s style, not to nowadays).
The japanese hero's introduction (by the way, good performance for the classic ESP voice actor, Furuya) was the part who stood the best but looks like it should have get a full movie until he fully joins the ESPer forces. The second half was full of shortcuts when there should have been one or two movies worth of content (the recruiting of the others , the post-apocalyptic Japan with the final clash).
I wonder how much of the story/time problems came from Ôtomo's writing and how much from the constraints.

Enjoyment: 4/5 I would like to get this story more properly rendered. The author was published in the USAs, too bad it wasn't the Genma cycle.
Score: 5/10 Spoiled resources (money, staff, source material)

I actually went in, expecting a manga adaptation with visuals imitating Ishinomori's style but was gladly surprised by a novels adaptation with its own style.
Also, I said it was fine technically, but there is no doubt it pales in front of movies produced later in the 80s (the peak of hand-drawn animation in Japan)
Modified by Rei366, Jun 11, 4:03 AM

Jul 23, 1:51 AM

This was abysmally bad. I'm going to sleep now and wake up thinking this was all some weird dream I had. I can't believe such a competent staff would make a movie this bad. Definitely one of the worsts things I've watched in a while.

Aug 2, 1:47 PM

Great party movie. Watch it with friends.

Oct 13, 11:13 PM
Finished it; above-average movie with some absolutely genius moments. Not even close to being one of the worst let alone "so bad it's good". Meme opinions are dumb.
Modified by busterbeam, Oct 19, 7:43 PM