Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 3, 2008 6:02 PM

Apr 2008
Fallen and I are members of the Critics and Connoisseurs club and we often go in their IRC channel and chat it up. One night I was in there and claimed I was a big Mecha fan. I told everyone that my favorite mecha series was Mazinkaiser!!! Someone corrected me and told me there is a difference between Mecha and Giant Robot series!

Which is better members of the REAL MAN CLUB!!!

GIANT ROBOTS

or

MECHA

?

for me Giant Robots. Getter Robo and Mazinkaiser made me a man. Then again I love mecha shows like Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team!

Quote from Mazinkaiser, "You need to back WAY OFF *manly points*!!!"
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 3, 2008 6:04 PM

Jul 2008
Well in my opinion they're both about the same but if you want to be technical I shall quote the main page:

GIANT FUCKING ROBOTS!!!!!
Oct 3, 2008 8:11 PM

Nov 2007
If you want a lesson in anime manliness with giant robots, then watch the original Giant Robo.
What a day! What a lovely Day!
Oct 4, 2008 8:31 AM

Mar 2008
I don't understand the distinction they're making, The way I've always seen it, a mecha is a large walking machine controlled by a pilot. Whereas a giant robot would be a large walking machine controlled by programming, sensors or a remote device.

Maybe they mean 'super robot' and 'real robot' shows?

If you want a lesson in anime manliness with giant robots, then watch the original Giant Robo.

Yeah, it takes a real badass to control his robot from the outside.

Oct 4, 2008 8:51 AM

Nov 2007
@ Tromble

It's not just the control of the robot that's badass in that show. You should see some of the mind numbing, testosterone fuelled, won't-back-down-even-if-you-kill-me type fights as well. We're talking real hero stuff here.
Oct 4, 2008 8:53 AM

Mar 2008
I've seen it, loved it. Taisou, Tetsugyu, Alberto etc, they were all great.
Oct 4, 2008 10:33 AM

Mar 2008
I have not seen may giant robot shows but I have seen a lot of Gundam shows so Mecha is what I am going with lol
Stay thirsty, my friends.
Oct 4, 2008 4:28 PM

Apr 2008
I actually dropped Giant Robo and gave it it Fallen lol.
Oct 9, 2008 6:46 PM

Jul 2008
Giant Robo is simply put, the shit. Quite possibly the absolute manliest thing ever and quite surprising too because I thought it was going to suck and it's one of my favorite series ever now. So yeah, another reason why I stand beside my vote of GIANT FUCKING ROBOTS!!!!!

One more thing to back my decision:
Go Nagai.
'Nuff said.
Oct 9, 2008 8:08 PM

Nov 2007
Nice to see another fan of the show. Now imagine how it felt to watch it when it was first released. The only thing I'd seen to match it was Top wo Nerae at that point.
Oct 15, 2008 6:16 PM
Oct 2008
Giant Robo is so manly that by the end of the OVA Daisaku gets a manlier a voice.

Plus on a side note Giant Robo is fucking NUCLEAR powered and Daisaku doesnt give a shit bout no radiation poisoning.
Oct 18, 2008 2:37 PM

Jul 2008
So true, so true. Great OVA series, it jsut blows all other Giant Robots shows away with its fantastic plot, plot twists, and characters. Totally freaking awesome.
Oct 18, 2008 5:27 PM

Nov 2007
Giant Robo is so manly that even the women in the show kick serious ass. Youshi, for example, would rip any male anime character you'd care to name a new one, and even though Ginrei is a lot more feminine than many of the other femal characters, she still packs some serious wallop (especially at the end of the OVA).

Oh, and I shouldn't neglect to mention Taisou's fight with Alberto.
didn't even slow him down - it just made him more determined.

Giant Robo is, in my opinion, the epitome of testosterone fuelled manliness (as opposed to the other type which spends too much time on hair that barely reaches an inch, moisturises every day, and has a tendency to wear pink shirts in the hopes of attracting a mate - I believe you all know the type).

I vote we make a banner for the club with Giant Robo on it (but don't ask me to make it as I'm useless at making them).
Oct 23, 2008 4:22 PM

Jul 2008
@Archeon

Amen.

People good with making banners:
Do it.
Oct 23, 2008 4:39 PM

Apr 2008
Giant Robo<Mazinkaiser

Sorry I could think of many other manlier shows than Giant Robo, but sincee most of you are cool wit that as the banner idea....by all means go for it.
Oct 23, 2008 5:11 PM

Jul 2008
Dude you are crazy.

While Mazinkaiser is certainly funnier than Giant Robo, it is by no means a better anime series. (I know I've seen all of both of them.) While Giant Robo may have a slower start, when the plot gets going it's hard to stop. No other giant robot series I've ever seen has had as good plot or as many plot twists as Giant Robo. Hell, most anime series in general don't have as good of a plot as Giant Robo.
Oct 24, 2008 3:25 AM

Nov 2007
You said it Fallen. I've not seen Mazinkaiser so tis not my place to judge that show, but I've heard rumblings from other people that it wasn't really "all that".

As for Giant Robo - did you see the big twist at the end, cos I certainly didn't. For me it was one of those "Holy Shit! It all makes sense now" moments, as well as being a very tragic ending too (in a manly way)
Oct 24, 2008 3:12 PM

Jul 2008
Well ... it wasn't quite a twist but it was certainly ... unexpected. A definate holy shit moment that needs to go in the holy shit hall of fame. I mean, if you want to look at it this way, the ending pretty much said that all the deaths, all the fighting, all the everything, was completely and utterly pointless. Kickass though, nonetheless.
Oct 24, 2008 4:32 PM

Nov 2007
LMAO - when the unexpected happens it usually called a plot twist :P

That was one of the points of the series though. It was trying to show that one simple misunderstanding could cause immense death, pain, suffering, etc. It also showed that a little knowledge was far more dangerous than complete ignorance.
Nov 3, 2008 6:01 PM

Jul 2008
Yeah, it certainly got that across but it was totally amazing. I went into it expecting about a five or six and came out with everything but a masterpiece in my opinion. And it's teh only show I've ever seen that made a French guy look so badass!! At first I'm like, he's French and he wears pick ... ubergay, but he was one of my favorite characters.
Aug 24, 2009 7:13 AM

Dec 2008
I have to go with mecha since I haven't seen much "Giant Robot" shows. : /
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Official Discord Server

PlatinumSouls - Jul 21, 2019

5 by Scoe90 »»
Feb 1, 2020 1:38 PM

» Operation: Revitalize the RMC!

PlatinumSouls - Jan 9, 2018

6 by PlatinumSouls »»
Jul 21, 2019 11:45 AM

Sticky: » New Member Introductions! ( 1 2 3 4 )

Scoe90 - Jun 2, 2009

186 by PlatinumSouls »»
Jun 28, 2019 11:32 PM

Sticky: » Manliness Add-ons ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

FALLEN101 - Aug 6, 2008

295 by PlatinumSouls »»
Jan 9, 2018 8:39 PM

» Show off those desktops! ( 1 2 3 4 )

Scoe90 - Jun 22, 2009

156 by PlatinumSouls »»
Jan 8, 2018 5:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.