Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 8, 2012 8:32 PM

Dec 2011
lol I knew from the start all of those girls will die, remind me of Ga Rei Zero:

But really, I'll never understand the military in anime. Why they always let high school girls fight in a robot knowingly that girls in that age tends to be... uh... emotional/sensitive? That's not a very good idea to protect the citizen eh?
LunaJul 14, 2012 8:55 PM
Jul 8, 2012 8:45 PM

Apr 2011
Hot damn. So Nasty.

My stomach felt it just went up a bit at the sight of cute girls getting eaten by grotesque creatures. I already expected this when I watch a few scenes of MLA on youtube. Thought, I already expect this scenes and that where just gonna count who'll survive. For once, I appreciate the censors here.

Not saying I hate the series. My feelings are mixed. The other half is saying to stay away while the other is wants more. Though I have to warn myself that I shouldn't get attach to the characters right away.

I'll just watch this once the series is complete.
MagitoJul 8, 2012 8:58 PM
Jul 8, 2012 9:29 PM

Jun 2009
I wouldn't expect anyone, not even the main cast that will be introduced in the next episode, to survive in MuvLuv. They are all going to die, just a matter of when and how.
Jul 8, 2012 10:04 PM

May 2011
jeroz said:
Guess some people here can't stand the cruelty of war

that's okay, it's not like we are manlier than you or anything.

Or maybe some people can't stand shitty plot, dialogue, and characters.

It's on the same level as "Starship Trooper" was. It's soo bad that it's comical. Funny thing is, "Starship Troopers" meant for their movie to have a level of self-deprecation to induce humor. The Sad part is, I think Muv Luv was trying to be serious.

I was waiting for someone to go "I need a corporal. You're it, until you're dead or I find someone better."
Jul 8, 2012 10:30 PM

Oct 2007
Cirris said:
jeroz said:
Guess some people here can't stand the cruelty of war

that's okay, it's not like we are manlier than you or anything.

Or maybe some people can't stand shitty plot, dialogue, and characters.

It's on the same level as "Starship Trooper" was. It's soo bad that it's comical. Funny thing is, "Starship Troopers" meant for their movie to have a level of self-deprecation to induce humor. The Sad part is, I think Muv Luv was trying to be serious.

I was waiting for someone to go "I need a corporal. You're it, until you're dead or I find someone better."
Or maybe characters weren't acting cute enough and the plot wasn't amazing like some walk-talking cute little ghost with awesome cheesy dialogue that could turn any stone-man into a living creature.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jul 8, 2012 10:50 PM

Sep 2007
I was expecting the hime-cut girl to live at least. Lolz at all the censoring too. But damn, a timeskip already?

The animation is still pretty god awful.
Jul 8, 2012 11:41 PM

Dec 2009
amc9988 said:

But really, I'll never understand the military in anime. Why they always let high school girls fight in a robot knowingly that girls in that age tends to be... uh... emotional/sensitive? That's not a very good idea to protect the citizen eh?

The world setting is where Most of the mainland is wiped out already (India and China combined already contains 1/3 of the worlds population) so there are only 1 billion left on the planet. Japan became the frontlines after the Korean Peninsula fell, so conscripting women and girls became a priority due to the high casualty rate.
Jul 8, 2012 11:41 PM
Oct 2009
shadowtsunami said:
If this episodes shows what the rest of the anime is going to be like then I might not give up on it lol. I bet they where thinking well this anime is going to suck so let's make an over the top episode were the all die haha.

Nah, what's carrying this show is the fan base, and to a lesser extent the newcomers. The show is currently the second most pre-ordered show this season, under Horizon.

And no, don't expect SAO to out sell this. I mean hey it's possible but if you know anything about sales and Japanese taste than you would know that this is right up their alley.
Jul 9, 2012 12:16 AM
Dec 2009
Some disturbing moments. I hate seeing girls being eaten up or blown up.
Sad she didnt shot her but she was killed immediately from that monster.
6/5 for this ep
Jul 9, 2012 1:00 AM

Nov 2010
Kivos said:
shadowtsunami said:
If this episodes shows what the rest of the anime is going to be like then I might not give up on it lol. I bet they where thinking well this anime is going to suck so let's make an over the top episode were the all die haha.

Nah, what's carrying this show is the fan base, and to a lesser extent the newcomers. The show is currently the second most pre-ordered show this season, under Horizon.

And no, don't expect SAO to out sell this. I mean hey it's possible but if you know anything about sales and Japanese taste than you would know that this is right up their alley.

It's because the fanbase most likely just want to throw the money so they could see a properly animated muv luv original trilogy (or another warm up side stories). Just look at the budget that they have, it's painfully obvious that this show has a very low budget (in contrast to what they expect).

But well, with that budget, this episode still could portrait the fearsome BETA in action, and a good glimpse of Takemikazuchi. 4/5, and now into the main story.
Jul 9, 2012 1:24 AM

Apr 2012
zeroyuki92 said:
Kivos said:
shadowtsunami said:

It's because the fanbase most likely just want to throw the money so they could see a properly animated muv luv original trilogy (or another warm up side stories). Just look at the budget that they have, it's painfully obvious that this show has a very low budget (in contrast to what they expect).

But well, with that budget, this episode still could portrait the fearsome BETA in action, and a good glimpse of Takemikazuchi. 4/5, and now into the main story.

what are people expecting? A Fate Zero budget? Even with Fate Zero's budget it had it's flaws. Anyways the main storyline hasn't even started and people are already moaning. Looks like they dumped out the possibility of a naive and idealistic protagonist. Hopefully watching her classmates get blown apart and eaten is enough to keep it that way.

Jul 9, 2012 1:29 AM

Jul 2011
So cruel and insane episode :/ I bet more of these are coming :D
I'm not sure is this right thing to say, but I would enjoyed more watch this episode without censors.

I can understand why it can be so hard to kill other human, but still Yui didn't shoot even she was told to do so.
(To prevent suffering being eaten)

Maybe next time new characters? :o

5/5

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Jul 9, 2012 1:56 AM

Jun 2010
This ep was AMAZAZING!

And I just preordered my MLA TE BD's only to find out it might be going for 24 eps!

This may be gross what I'm about to write and I apologize if I put/pissed anyone off but...I just jizzed in my pants XD from this ep.
Jul 9, 2012 1:57 AM
Mar 2012
Gaichi said:
So cruel and insane episode :/ I bet more of these are coming :D
I'm not sure is this right thing to say, but I would enjoyed more watch this episode without censors.

I can understand why it can be so hard to kill other human, but still Yui didn't shoot even she was told to do so.
(To prevent suffering being eaten)

Maybe next time new characters? :o

5/5

Yeah next time will be the main dish, Yuuya Bridges aka Top Gun lol.
Disappointed that they didnt use this song for the opening : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m35bTVBe0yI
Jul 9, 2012 2:18 AM
Nov 2007
Wish those death scenes weren't censored :|
Jul 9, 2012 2:36 AM

Jun 2010
A much better episode than the previous one. Those aliens remind me so much of Gnosis from Xenosaga.
Jul 9, 2012 2:48 AM

May 2008
Wasabi said:
I was expecting the hime-cut girl to live at least. Lolz at all the censoring too. But damn, a timeskip already?

The animation is still pretty god awful.

The timeskip is mostly because this two episodes are anime original content. Nothing of this episodes is in the light novels, that's why I wouldn't advise anyone drop this until the actual light novel content arrives.
Jul 9, 2012 2:52 AM

May 2010
Getting a little bit better I think I'll stick around for a little while although is a shame that her friends died (not a surprise though) !!
Jul 9, 2012 2:57 AM

Dec 2011
BTW what is Muv luv alternative total eclipse based on? A light novel or a visual novel? And for those who have played/read them before, can you please spoil me if the male protagonist will have any romance with any of the two white hair girls?
Jul 9, 2012 3:06 AM

May 2008
amc9988 said:
BTW what is Muv luv alternative total eclipse based on? A light novel or a visual novel? And for those who have played/read them before, can you please spoil me if the male protagonist will have any romance with any of the two white hair girls?

It's based on a light novel that is a spinoff of a visual novel.
Jul 9, 2012 3:24 AM
Aug 2011
People sometimes really surprise me. Why not take -5 mins to research a anime and see what genres it is instead of wasting 20-40 mins watching 1 or 2 episodes, only to drop it because of 1 element they hate. /facepalm

I'm giving it 5/5

Not enough time to flesh out intro-characters. I only teared up a bit near the end with Yui crying after seeing the after effects of the battle and sort off, seeing that child being born into a "dark era"
Jul 9, 2012 3:42 AM
Dec 2010
This is some very potent stuff. I've been waiting for something like this for a long time.
Jul 9, 2012 3:50 AM

May 2010
Yep, no more white mecha.
Jul 9, 2012 4:10 AM

Jun 2009
That eating scene was... unusually.. arousing.
Jul 9, 2012 4:58 AM

Jul 2007
Yumekichi11 said:

And to think that something like Saikano/Blood-C came out like this series might be. I never knew how strong one's wishes can be in wanting a specific type of series. Muv Luv truly did all I wanted but I never knew I could be this shocked. This will take some time to get over with. I strongly encourage hatred towards BETA. Truly SICK SHIT this series is in terms of gore and blood. The censors might have been the saving GRACE till the BDs reveal it all.

well, ML is srs bsns. You should read MLE, then MLU and MLA VNs. Even if MLE is a little weak. And the MLA is one of the very best visual novels.
Jul 9, 2012 5:14 AM

Jul 2008
She's the only survivor. Why am I not surprised? lol
Jul 9, 2012 5:19 AM
Mar 2012
I think the one piloting the Takemikazuchi in this episode is this guy:
Jul 9, 2012 5:42 AM
Dec 2009
looking forward to the next episode, glad there was a time-skip.. pretty sudden though, 3 years later and humanity still survives 0-0, longer hair = ftw, they should mass produce suits like those x.x
tag©.androgynous
Jul 9, 2012 5:53 AM

May 2010
Man, Holy crap everyone just die kinda laugh at the part when the said look i stay alive for 8 min the bam dead, anyway really didnt think this was gonna turn out to be, one bloody show but gonna stick with to the end.
Jul 9, 2012 5:55 AM

Mar 2010
WTF is with Japanese and girls piloting mecha? Very good episode, kinda bloody and sad but good. I felt very sorry for the long haired girl. I kinda hoped she would survive and have a mental breakdown or something (optimistic, right?). It would be a pity if this never explored the mental issues of main or side characters... I have high expectations from this. The only thing this needs is more male characters... hot male characters. But I don"t see that happening. :-(
Jul 9, 2012 6:04 AM
Mar 2012
HikaruIzumi said:
hot male characters. But I don"t see that happening. :-(

Next episode probably, Yuuya Bridges, top gun of America, voiced by Ono Daisuke.
The original Alternative explored about mental issues a lot and it was done outstandingly. Maybe Total Eclipse might be the same, Kouki the original creator is really good at building up characters and kill them off where it counts most of the time.
Jul 9, 2012 6:14 AM

Jul 2009
couple of things people need to remember

1. they were stationed in the Supply Depot, and not the front line soldiers (those are those other male soldiers that also got eaten alive). Don't forget that they were also shocked to be onto the battlefield so soon.

2. It's obvious that those 2 episodes are "flashback" episodes which sets up the world, establishes the tone, and provides backstory for Yui. Don't forget that the main character haven't even appear yet.
Jul 9, 2012 6:32 AM

May 2012
It's so sad that her friends have to die that way.
手を伸ばせば 届くと信じていたい…
Jul 9, 2012 6:51 AM

Apr 2011
-Quasar said:

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM! *Burp*
Jul 9, 2012 6:55 AM

Sep 2010
Awesome guro episode.... :D

But to be hones I lol'd at some death scenes.....

4/5
Jul 9, 2012 7:22 AM

Sep 2011
Well,just end up at episode 2 now.I don't want to see any other girl's death
Jul 9, 2012 7:41 AM

Dec 2011
This is intense, gritty, in your face and confronting. like an animated scifi version of band of brothers.
finally not some cutesy robot anime all about unicorns and frickin rainbows.
(no offense Aquarion...)
Jul 9, 2012 8:09 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
g-rabe said:
This is intense, gritty, in your face and confronting. like an animated scifi version of band of brothers.
(no offense Aquarion...)
More like starship troopers. So bad it's good.
-Quasar said:

Welcome to the world of guro and vorarephilia.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 9, 2012 8:16 AM

Dec 2011
wakka9ca said:
g-rabe said:
(no offense Aquarion...)
More like starship troopers. So bad it's good.
-Quasar said:

Welcome to the world of guro and vorarephilia.

true,true. And i do love Starship Troopers
Jul 9, 2012 8:34 AM

Jul 2010
Elite60 said:
Well, they didn't hold back on the blood and gore. Definitely an anime not for weak and squeamish. Even with the censors, it was still pretty nasty. Wondering how much they will reveal in the disc release.

Censors?! Censors?! I swear they didn't bother about it at all.
Still shocked.
オタクなんじゃねぃよ
I'm not an otaku.
Jul 9, 2012 8:59 AM

Nov 2010
Zeally said:
zeroyuki92 said:

what are people expecting? A Fate Zero budget? Even with Fate Zero's budget it had it's flaws. Anyways the main storyline hasn't even started and people are already moaning. Looks like they dumped out the possibility of a naive and idealistic protagonist. Hopefully watching her classmates get blown apart and eaten is enough to keep it that way.

Well, the original trilogy is the highest rated visual novel in many sites + probably also one of the visual novels with the biggest budget, so I understand where their expectation come from. (Of course, total eclipse is not from the original trilogy, but well it's still written by the same person)

But I'm still very happy to see TE animated and I decide to watch to the very end (unless it turns into a very bad shipwreck later). Personally I just hope that the latter series will have a bigger budget so they could explore their potential (I heard an issue that Total Eclipse will be two cour (from BD number) and probably they will animate Eurofront side story next)
Jul 9, 2012 10:55 AM

Apr 2009
Not even sure what to say. Had a good idea of what to expect from hearing about Muv-Luv, but yeah.
Jul 9, 2012 11:08 AM

Dec 2009
Holy censoring spree. Atleast in the CR version -_-

Well it would have been gruesome without it but still.
Jul 9, 2012 11:33 AM

Oct 2010
silvver said:
Yumekichi11 said:

And to think that something like Saikano/Blood-C came out like this series might be. I never knew how strong one's wishes can be in wanting a specific type of series. Muv Luv truly did all I wanted but I never knew I could be this shocked. This will take some time to get over with. I strongly encourage hatred towards BETA. Truly SICK SHIT this series is in terms of gore and blood. The censors might have been the saving GRACE till the BDs reveal it all.

well, ML is srs bsns. You should read MLE, then MLU and MLA VNs. Even if MLE is a little weak. And the MLA is one of the very best visual novels.
I know, I need to. However rejoice, I did put in my plans of seeing the whole series for the future. Just that I would wish some translation with the new merchandise coming out. IMO it would benefit loads of people to get what is out and translate while it available to get.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jul 9, 2012 12:39 PM
Apr 2011
Yes, blood, death, and despair! Just like Alternative.
The inability of the Eishi bothered me though. Compared to the Eishi in the original series, these pilots were really lacking. Hopefully, the skill level of the Eishi improve once the real story starts.
Jul 9, 2012 12:46 PM

Nov 2010
Not sure about the enemies/monster designs, but this was actually good
Jul 9, 2012 1:43 PM

Jul 2011
Well that was very disturbing, they really didn't pull any punches. Those girls died in some of the cruelest and most horrifying ways possible and it totally immersed me in the gravity of the situation. Although the CGI is a little off putting, two episodes in and i'm starting to see why the VN's are so popular.
Jul 9, 2012 2:05 PM

Mar 2012
They all died, like all of them. Every death except the last 2 were LolWut? moments for me.
Jul 9, 2012 2:17 PM
Jul 9, 2012 3:00 PM

Feb 2011
Emotional Ending was Emotional
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Season 2?

Allenkilla1 - Jun 11, 2013

45 by SlimShadyArgos1 »»
Dec 30, 2023 3:23 AM

» Muv Luv's Japanese critique of Americans

Jerrychiang - Aug 3, 2012

45 by 8man226 »»
Nov 9, 2023 7:32 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 1, 2012

175 by Zane_0 »»
Aug 9, 2023 10:56 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2012

146 by tinitits »»
Feb 28, 2023 9:49 AM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2012

52 by SMmania123 »»
Aug 13, 2022 8:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.