Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 3, 2012 3:19 AM

Aug 2008
I dont hate it or love it

Has potential

4/5
Jul 3, 2012 4:16 AM

May 2010
Not bad I think this could be interesting
Jul 3, 2012 5:00 AM

Mar 2011
It was a kind of slow because nothing happened until the end, though it's understandable since they were trying to show the girls' daily lives until the tragedy happened (that's why it's titled Part 1). Lots of questions are raised, but I'll take my time finding out the answers
Jul 3, 2012 6:35 AM

Apr 2010
Not what i was expecting but not disappointed either it reminded me of the Gunparade March Arata Naru Kougunka and not of Muvluv Unlimited which i read the manga of.
Tho this is only the start and things can change.

The main character looks appealing tho.
Jul 3, 2012 5:41 PM

Feb 2011
Nice animation , the start was preety enjoyable , so I'll continue to watch it even if it's not my kind of anime xD
Jul 3, 2012 8:39 PM

Feb 2012
Not what I was expecting, since I've played the VNs. How could people be so carefree on MLA world? Even before Japan was invaded, they were already at war for years... even the school uniforms were kind of military-like in the game.
But even though the mood felt wrong, it all makes sense if you know the scenario, so I guess it's not too bad... and it seems they are about to get serious next. I believe the first episode was just to create the "Muv-Luv Extra effect": see the characters in a happy life first to show by contrast how serious things get later.

I didn't really like the episode (too soon to judge the series), but I guess the real problem was for people who don't know the series. They left out some important explanations, but also some important aspects that define the scenario (mild SPOILERS ahead): how much the TSFs shake when moving (to the point where people without proper equipment might die from nausea alone), why they decided to use mechas (aircraft was rendered useless), the weapons and systems used (thought detection? Energy weapons? Force shields? Not in this series... watch out for your ammo!), the standardization of the TSFs (personal mecha for your aces? That's not practical for mass production...), etc.
Jul 3, 2012 9:07 PM
Apr 2012
Someone should make an AMV to this with this song

I would LITERALLY contemplate lol if I found it to be funny >.>
Jul 3, 2012 11:36 PM

Aug 2008
I think it's fine. And interesting since I'm into these genres.

On another note: Why don't they make their mecha have energy shields? Everything's freaking cooler with them. They wouldn't have to worry about taking a hit or two from those laser blasts thingies if their mechas had them installed -.-
Even NGE had AT fields at least... (Yeah I know it's based on a VN series. But still. Energy shields are cool)
Jul 4, 2012 12:12 AM
Mar 2012
Genix said:
I think it's fine. And interesting since I'm into these genres.

On another note: Why don't they make their mecha have energy shields? Everything's freaking cooler with them. They wouldn't have to worry about taking a hit or two from those laser blasts thingies if their mechas had them installed -.-
Even NGE had AT fields at least... (Yeah I know it's based on a VN series. But still. Energy shields are cool)

Major spoilers, click at your own risk.
Jul 4, 2012 12:40 AM

Jun 2010
Well after watching I feel like playing the Alternative VN again ^^
Jul 4, 2012 10:01 AM

Nov 2011
5/5 for it. It got nice art and music. The story looks promising. Looks like we can expect 24 episodes for this, considering this is all a huge prologue (Looking from the synopsis)
Jul 4, 2012 1:30 PM

Nov 2010
Nice start, sadly it's all girls controlling Mechs again, sigh
Are they using a dildo or boobs to navigate
Jul 4, 2012 2:28 PM

Apr 2012
4/5
It's not a brand new one, but has potential
Jul 4, 2012 7:16 PM

Nov 2010
The start wasn't that bad... I think. As for its full action and story pack are really good IMO due to its Seinen atmosphere. Has potential. Haven't read the VN but guess the anime won't be screwing up to much if it follows the original storyline.
Jul 4, 2012 7:16 PM

Dec 2007
Kind of rushed but nothing too hard to grasp. Mecha's look slow and useless. xD
Jul 4, 2012 8:02 PM

Sep 2008
Already dropped, weak fanservice mechan shit
Jul 4, 2012 8:48 PM
Mar 2012
Day2Dream said:
Kind of rushed but nothing too hard to grasp. Mecha's look slow and useless. xD

They are old models, wait till they show Active Eagle, Shiranui and Takemikazuchi.
1lau said:
Nice start, sadly it's all girls controlling Mechs again, sigh
Are they using a dildo or boobs to navigate

This is a depression and despair type anime, so don't expect moe ecchi things in here.
Kaminator said:
Already dropped, weak fanservice mechan shit

Don't drop if you're mecha fan dude, I dont know what's gonna happen but let's wait and see how this show goes in the future.
liemtodaisuJul 4, 2012 8:55 PM
Jul 5, 2012 6:55 AM

Jul 2009
1lau said:
Are they using a dildo to navigate

considering that the main character is a guy, i would love to see that to be true
Jul 5, 2012 1:56 PM

Apr 2010
They did a really piss poor job of explaining the world for those who haven't read the VN.
Jul 5, 2012 4:44 PM

Jun 2010
antonn said:
They did a really piss poor job of explaining the world for those who haven't read the VN.

Well I kinda expected it since it is a anime adaptation not everything is going to work out.
Jul 5, 2012 4:58 PM

Oct 2007
Muv-Luv-er said:
antonn said:

Well I kinda expected it since it is a anime adaptation not everything is going to work out.
I don't think it was really bad as a anime viewer only. It was good enough to know what is going on.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jul 5, 2012 5:00 PM

Jun 2010
Siva said:
Muv-Luv-er said:
antonn said:

I don't think it was really bad as a anime viewer only. It was good enough to know what is going on.

Well from the next ep and onwards it soon be very good, with lots of action and plot and character development, so I am looking forward to that. ^^
Jul 5, 2012 5:14 PM

Oct 2007
Muv-Luv-er said:
Siva said:
Muv-Luv-er said:
antonn said:

Well from the next ep and onwards it soon be very good, with lots of action and plot and character development, so I am looking forward to that. ^^
Even without you saying that I could already bet half of my season on this.

Jul 5, 2012 5:18 PM

Jun 2010
Siva said:
Muv-Luv-er said:
Siva said:
Muv-Luv-er said:
antonn said:

Even without you saying that I could already bet half of my season on this.

Well I'm expecting a lot from this since I've played the VN's and this is my most anticipated show of this season, so not to sound biased, but I really enjoyed the first ep. ^^
Jul 5, 2012 7:40 PM
Oct 2007
Decent episode. Seems like it wants to be Gunbuster. Will continue for now, but will probably end up dropping it down the line
Jul 6, 2012 11:48 AM

Jun 2007
Post-Josh said:
Rainbow-Dash said:
Far more interesting than most of the shows currently airing.

If this is true the anime industry has truly hit an all time low.

I'd say that's pretty accurate.
Jul 6, 2012 6:53 PM

Dec 2009
I dunno, if they do justice to Sword Art Online, I'm not going to write off the anime industry yet.
Jul 6, 2012 7:12 PM

Oct 2007
People are just forcing their definition of "good" and "bad" on everything they see fit.

Jul 6, 2012 11:52 PM

Jun 2010
We're only human ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
Jul 7, 2012 12:36 PM

Aug 2008
Looks pretty good so far. I'll stay around to see where this goes.
Jul 7, 2012 11:09 PM

May 2011
I thought this start was pretty nice and I am excited to see more. I can tell things are going to get more serious and shits are gunna go down even harder later on especially since this is just introducing the setting and already the mood seems to be of despair.
Jul 8, 2012 3:59 PM

Feb 2012
Decent intro ep.

Love the suits and the plot is interesting. I personally don't care if the whole alien invasion/mobile suit thing has been overdone. That doesn't automatically make it bad for me. Also helps that I havn't read the VN.

Then again I don't go out of my way to watch mecha anime so I'm not jaded.
Jul 8, 2012 5:33 PM

Feb 2012
While the premise of bug like alien invaders has definitely been overused, but this series is handling the scenario very well. It is setting itself up to be one of the better telling of that scenario. I don’t really like the characters that much. They’re not bad, it is just that having school aged girls be the mech pilots just seems to clash with the very serious tone this anime is setting. The mechs look amazing, so the only question left is to see how the combat works. If the combat is good, and they’re willing to kill off many of the characters then this should turn out to be a very good series.
Jul 8, 2012 10:44 PM

Jul 2011
Loved it! It was so epic and full of action. Had me on my seat forever. Can't wait to see what happens next !

See my full review for this episode here: http://animeordie.blogspot.com/2012/07/muv-luv-alternative-total-eclipse-112.html
Jul 11, 2012 11:14 AM

Jan 2011
This blew me away, this is really, really promising.
The story seems to be great so far, I'm looking forward to more.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jul 11, 2012 11:24 PM

Mar 2010

I was surprised the main character had portraits of Class-A war criminals hanging at her house. This would be equivalent of hanging portraits of Adolf Hitler, Heinrich Himmler, and Joseph Goebbels in a German house.

I guess how Japanese Militarism is regarded in Japan differently from how Nazi Fascism is regarded in Germany (pretty much taboo over there) in the current age. Hmm..

Jul 11, 2012 11:42 PM

Dec 2009
stevewiess01 said:

I was surprised the main character had portraits of Class-A war criminals hanging at her house. This would be equivalent of hanging portraits of Adolf Hitler, Heinrich Himmler, and Joseph Goebbels in a German house.

I guess how Japanese Militarism is regarded in Japan differently from how Nazi Fascism is regarded in Germany (pretty much taboo over there) in the current age. Hmm..

For some reason I'm starting to think that in this Parallel Universe, WWII ended quite differently. Unless someone who played the VN could expound on that, it's just the feeling I'm getting.

Since the capital is in Imperial Kyoto, with a Shogunate instead of the capital being in Tokyo plus a Parliamentary system with a ceremonial Emperor born from Post-WWII MacArthur military government.
Jul 12, 2012 5:44 AM
Jul 2012
Netto_Azure said:

For some reason I'm starting to think that in this Parallel Universe, WWII ended quite differently. Unless someone who played the VN could expound on that, it's just the feeling I'm getting.

Since the capital is in Imperial Kyoto, with a Shogunate instead of the capital being in Tokyo plus a Parliamentary system with a ceremonial Emperor born from Post-WWII MacArthur military government.

In VN's Japan accepted an unconditional surrender. The nukes dropped on Berlin. So Shogunate didn't fall.
Jul 12, 2012 10:25 AM

Dec 2009
kiralikkettle said:
Netto_Azure said:

In VN's Japan accepted an unconditional surrender. The nukes dropped on Berlin. So Shogunate didn't fall.

Ah now it all makes sense.
Jul 13, 2012 10:25 PM

Jul 2011
Well, was kind of boring to be honest, but I won't write it off just yet. I still see it's potential.
Jul 14, 2012 3:27 PM

Jun 2008
I was pleasantly surprised. I thought this was gonna be some silly anime just so it can show sexy girls in tight suits but it had quite the serious tone about it. Yeah animation etc weren't the best ever but the story and events where nicely portrayed giving an intense atmosphere.
Hey it even has a believable background on why we are seeing young girls piloting those things. Because pretty much everyone else is already on the frond lines or dead.

Also, seriously? Boring? WTF? People watch schoolgirls doing cute things and nothing much really and they got bored with this? What, it should start with crazy battles immediately? It's the first episode for fucking sakes. They need to explain shit so it won't seem stupid and badly written. And the events they showed went fast as hell, it was anything but boring.
MonadJul 14, 2012 3:37 PM
Jul 19, 2012 6:34 PM

Jul 2012
I guess it's okay. Things moved pretty fast though. I heard come episode 3 the director is different so I'll look forward to that.
Jul 30, 2012 6:14 AM
Jul 2012
I'm late to review the episode, but that's largely due to me being new here than it is actually being late.

I'm not going to judge this through the eyes of a newcomer, since I had prior knowledge of the MLA universe. And since I'm this late, I'm doing this with full knowledge of episodes 2 to 5. (But only largely 2 is important here)

I'll give this episode a 4/5. It does a good job describing the MLA universe in a nutshell. It starts off with briefly describing the history of the BETA, first contact and the initial invasion.

I wished they didn't skip the numbers though. Its obvious that they had to train girls to pilot TSFs because most, if not all able-bodied males are already out there fighting. (Sure, like all anime, its just justification for giving us girls, but at least there is plausible justification, so it passes. And besides, if you're reading this by now, we all know there's a fair share of males in the actual TE storyline.)

They also show that the Takamura family is important (but again, skimps on the details, so people would be left puzzling as to exactly what is the importance that grants Yui her Yellow TSF).

They don't joke around with the seriousness of the situation, showing us the training segments as well as the reality of casualty (Of course, nothing compared to the next episode.)

And then we finally get to the action (and all the gore).

I think it deserves its 4/5. Considering the budget limitations, they did an above average job. I don't blame them for the rushed pace as a result, but felt the opposite, I'd rather they rushed something just to add the details in, as I felt they were actually too important to give up.
Sep 24, 2012 9:45 AM

Sep 2012
That's some suit they got here.
Dec 22, 2012 12:14 PM
Mar 2008
Seems like quite a few loose ends will remain for the final episode.
Jan 7, 2013 3:23 AM

Jun 2009
I ike the story so far, but I think I would've liked this show more if the main characters weren't all girls. There aren't any male characters now where I can replace myself into.
May 25, 2013 11:19 AM
Aug 2012
not bad openning a great song at the end makes it seem like there going to kickass but there newbies so there all most likely going to get owned seeing how they owned the rest of the army
Aug 12, 2013 1:33 PM
May 2013
I have huge expectations from this anime, I hope in the next episodes will be more action. This anime exceeded my expectations and I'm gonna spend 9 hours rewatching this (I'm a huge fan now thanks to Muv Luv Trilogy)
The mecha design is great.
And really no male MC... I'm disappointed...
ZarnaavOct 3, 2013 1:03 PM
Oct 25, 2013 2:12 AM

Jan 2012
looks generic as fuck tbh...
Jan 12, 2014 12:00 PM

Jan 2013
I'm coming into this after recently finishing both ML and MLA. I have no knowledge of what happens in TE.

The pacing felt really off this first episode. If I hadn't known how dangerous the BETA are/the world they're in, I would have been really confused. They breezed through scenes of the girls' training and I didn't get a feeling for how determined they are or how they've been living up until now. Maybe they'll flashback to it later but we're thrown into a huge battle from the start and I guess I'll have to wait and see if that is for the best. Some of the BGM was pretty good while some wasn't.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Season 2?

Allenkilla1 - Jun 11, 2013

45 by SlimShadyArgos1 »»
Dec 30, 2023 3:23 AM

» Muv Luv's Japanese critique of Americans

Jerrychiang - Aug 3, 2012

45 by 8man226 »»
Nov 9, 2023 7:32 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2012

146 by tinitits »»
Feb 28, 2023 9:49 AM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2012

52 by SMmania123 »»
Aug 13, 2022 8:21 PM

» Should i watch this?

Grontan - Jul 14, 2022

4 by ixarising »»
Jul 19, 2022 10:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.