Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 2, 2012 6:15 PM

Jan 2008
aimedamiss said:
...Why do I get Mars of Destruction vibes from this?

Strange, I thought I was the only one.

I'll be blunt, the mecha cg makes me vomit. Literally. I was eating some teriyaki while watching and I slightly choked and coughed em up when the mechas made an appearance thinking "Oh god that's some horrible cg."

I probably won't even bother with the next episode but hell, who knows.
Jul 2, 2012 6:20 PM

Apr 2009
LOL at all the complaints based on the setting.. this is what you all get for blindly getting involved in a side story of a larger franchise..
Jul 2, 2012 6:33 PM
Jan 2011
argilium said:
LOL at all the complaints based on the setting.. this is what you all get for blindly getting involved in a side story of a larger franchise..

If you have read VN, this episode will have strong impact knowing what will happen next.
Jul 2, 2012 7:04 PM

Jun 2007
Far more interesting than most of the shows currently airing.
Jul 2, 2012 7:21 PM
Mar 2011
Mechas piloted by hot girls in skin tight piloting suits... what's not to like?

Tenko_RanchiJul 2, 2012 7:27 PM
Jul 2, 2012 7:32 PM
Mar 2012
Tenko_Ranchi said:

The fun part is
liemtodaisuJul 2, 2012 8:34 PM
Jul 2, 2012 9:12 PM

Oct 2008
Aside from the fan service this has a lot of potential, the setting is quite interesting.
Jul 2, 2012 9:17 PM

Mar 2012
Rainbow-Dash said:

If this is true the anime industry has truly hit an all time low.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 2, 2012 10:25 PM

Dec 2009
liemtodaisu said:
Tenko_Ranchi said:

The fun part is

Jul 2, 2012 10:29 PM
Jan 2010

The fact that they will end up in the bellies of those BETAs.

Won't be picking this up, and I hope that this would bomb catastrophically, just to make a point.
Jul 2, 2012 10:35 PM
Mar 2012
Netto_Azure said:
liemtodaisu said:
Tenko_Ranchi said:

The fun part is

Jul 2, 2012 10:39 PM

Jan 2009
I WANT THE ORIGINAL SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 2, 2012 11:14 PM
Mar 2012
KanshouXBakuya said:
I WANT THE ORIGINAL SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a really higher risk doing the original than this one. Let's see how T.E goes first.
Jul 2, 2012 11:32 PM

Jan 2011
I liked how quickly the first episode progressed. Hopefully it keeps getting better.
Jul 2, 2012 11:47 PM

Jun 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
liemtodaisu said:
FightingFisto said:
T-there was no luv in this.... THERE WAS NO LUV IN THIS

Note to self: Read synopsis and genres of all anime titles from now on

fucking Muv -_-

The main one Alternative has Luv though lol and a really pure and epic one. That's why they said Muv-luv Alternative, Save in the name of true love. Not sure about Total Eclipse side story though.
I am still baffled as to why would this have a connection to Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien? Same town? Same spots in this series? I noticed style is similar but not so in this one. So what is the whole thing of Kimi?

Same setting different story line is what it is.
Jul 3, 2012 12:46 AM
Jan 2011
It doesn't seem bad. The first episode was somewhat intriguing + great ED. Maybe I should seriously play the VN...
Jul 3, 2012 12:46 AM

Apr 2012
AidanAK47 said:
Sir_Lexa said:
The suits the girls wear are absolutely ridiculous. Is this an ecchi show or?
There is an actual reason behind that. Basically it's a type of conditioning. In this world on the front lines men and women share rooms, showers...everything. To summarise the suits are designed so that girls become less conscious of being naked in front of men and likewise men become used to the sight of a woman's naked body and don't react to it as much. So the point is for both sexes to view each other as soldiers rather than members of the opposite sex.

Assuming this point was explained in the VN, I still don't think this distraction is helpful to setting the an appropriate mood for this series.

More importantly, if I assume this series is genuinely taking itself seriously, then it really needs to start developing its main characters quickly. In order to conduct world-building, a series also needs to focus a few central characters. E7 Ao and its predecessor succeeded in that amazingly. So far, however, Yui is woefully underdeveloped (i.e. all I know about her is that she reads books and I am not quite sure how that translates into any of her actions).

Orix said:
Tenko_Ranchi said:
The fact that they will end up in the bellies of those BETAs.

All I see, so far, is a series with good intentions that is unwilling to disregard its ecchi fan base in order to gain some solid character development. My hope is that this series will turn around and focus on what's interesting: its premise of a not-so benevolent alien invasion.
Jul 3, 2012 1:03 AM

Jun 2011
one more average anime from this season.
Jul 3, 2012 1:37 AM

Apr 2011
Reminds me of Infinite Stratos since all the pilots are female. But I feel that this anime shows promise. Now, after watching this I definitely have to go play some Mech Warrior Online.
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"
Jul 3, 2012 1:51 AM

Jun 2010
@s2012k1993

Try playing the VN of Muv-Luv sequentially and read the Total Eclipse LN. They are obviously better than the anime but hope they don't screw the anime over (the director and all the people related to the project are Muv-Luv fans after all).
Jul 3, 2012 3:19 AM

Aug 2008
I dont hate it or love it

Has potential

4/5
Jul 3, 2012 4:16 AM

May 2010
Not bad I think this could be interesting
Jul 3, 2012 5:00 AM

Mar 2011
It was a kind of slow because nothing happened until the end, though it's understandable since they were trying to show the girls' daily lives until the tragedy happened (that's why it's titled Part 1). Lots of questions are raised, but I'll take my time finding out the answers
Jul 3, 2012 6:35 AM

Apr 2010
Not what i was expecting but not disappointed either it reminded me of the Gunparade March Arata Naru Kougunka and not of Muvluv Unlimited which i read the manga of.
Tho this is only the start and things can change.

The main character looks appealing tho.
Jul 3, 2012 5:41 PM

Feb 2011
Nice animation , the start was preety enjoyable , so I'll continue to watch it even if it's not my kind of anime xD
Jul 3, 2012 8:39 PM

Feb 2012
Not what I was expecting, since I've played the VNs. How could people be so carefree on MLA world? Even before Japan was invaded, they were already at war for years... even the school uniforms were kind of military-like in the game.
But even though the mood felt wrong, it all makes sense if you know the scenario, so I guess it's not too bad... and it seems they are about to get serious next. I believe the first episode was just to create the "Muv-Luv Extra effect": see the characters in a happy life first to show by contrast how serious things get later.

I didn't really like the episode (too soon to judge the series), but I guess the real problem was for people who don't know the series. They left out some important explanations, but also some important aspects that define the scenario (mild SPOILERS ahead): how much the TSFs shake when moving (to the point where people without proper equipment might die from nausea alone), why they decided to use mechas (aircraft was rendered useless), the weapons and systems used (thought detection? Energy weapons? Force shields? Not in this series... watch out for your ammo!), the standardization of the TSFs (personal mecha for your aces? That's not practical for mass production...), etc.
Jul 3, 2012 9:07 PM
Apr 2012
Someone should make an AMV to this with this song

I would LITERALLY contemplate lol if I found it to be funny >.>
Jul 3, 2012 11:36 PM

Aug 2008
I think it's fine. And interesting since I'm into these genres.

On another note: Why don't they make their mecha have energy shields? Everything's freaking cooler with them. They wouldn't have to worry about taking a hit or two from those laser blasts thingies if their mechas had them installed -.-
Even NGE had AT fields at least... (Yeah I know it's based on a VN series. But still. Energy shields are cool)
Jul 4, 2012 12:12 AM
Mar 2012
Genix said:
I think it's fine. And interesting since I'm into these genres.

On another note: Why don't they make their mecha have energy shields? Everything's freaking cooler with them. They wouldn't have to worry about taking a hit or two from those laser blasts thingies if their mechas had them installed -.-
Even NGE had AT fields at least... (Yeah I know it's based on a VN series. But still. Energy shields are cool)

Major spoilers, click at your own risk.
Jul 4, 2012 12:40 AM

Jun 2010
Well after watching I feel like playing the Alternative VN again ^^
Jul 4, 2012 10:01 AM

Nov 2011
5/5 for it. It got nice art and music. The story looks promising. Looks like we can expect 24 episodes for this, considering this is all a huge prologue (Looking from the synopsis)
Jul 4, 2012 1:30 PM

Nov 2010
Nice start, sadly it's all girls controlling Mechs again, sigh
Are they using a dildo or boobs to navigate
Jul 4, 2012 2:28 PM

Apr 2012
4/5
It's not a brand new one, but has potential
Jul 4, 2012 7:16 PM

Nov 2010
The start wasn't that bad... I think. As for its full action and story pack are really good IMO due to its Seinen atmosphere. Has potential. Haven't read the VN but guess the anime won't be screwing up to much if it follows the original storyline.
Jul 4, 2012 7:16 PM

Dec 2007
Kind of rushed but nothing too hard to grasp. Mecha's look slow and useless. xD
Jul 4, 2012 8:02 PM

Sep 2008
Already dropped, weak fanservice mechan shit
Jul 4, 2012 8:48 PM
Mar 2012
Day2Dream said:
Kind of rushed but nothing too hard to grasp. Mecha's look slow and useless. xD

They are old models, wait till they show Active Eagle, Shiranui and Takemikazuchi.
1lau said:
Nice start, sadly it's all girls controlling Mechs again, sigh
Are they using a dildo or boobs to navigate

This is a depression and despair type anime, so don't expect moe ecchi things in here.
Kaminator said:
Already dropped, weak fanservice mechan shit

Don't drop if you're mecha fan dude, I dont know what's gonna happen but let's wait and see how this show goes in the future.
liemtodaisuJul 4, 2012 8:55 PM
Jul 5, 2012 6:55 AM

Jul 2009
1lau said:
Are they using a dildo to navigate

considering that the main character is a guy, i would love to see that to be true
Jul 5, 2012 1:56 PM

Apr 2010
They did a really piss poor job of explaining the world for those who haven't read the VN.
Jul 5, 2012 4:44 PM

Jun 2010
antonn said:
They did a really piss poor job of explaining the world for those who haven't read the VN.

Well I kinda expected it since it is a anime adaptation not everything is going to work out.
Jul 5, 2012 4:58 PM

Oct 2007
Muv-Luv-er said:
antonn said:

Well I kinda expected it since it is a anime adaptation not everything is going to work out.
I don't think it was really bad as a anime viewer only. It was good enough to know what is going on.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jul 5, 2012 5:00 PM

Jun 2010
Siva said:
Muv-Luv-er said:
antonn said:

I don't think it was really bad as a anime viewer only. It was good enough to know what is going on.

Well from the next ep and onwards it soon be very good, with lots of action and plot and character development, so I am looking forward to that. ^^
Jul 5, 2012 5:14 PM

Oct 2007
Muv-Luv-er said:
Siva said:
Muv-Luv-er said:
antonn said:

Well from the next ep and onwards it soon be very good, with lots of action and plot and character development, so I am looking forward to that. ^^
Even without you saying that I could already bet half of my season on this.

Jul 5, 2012 5:18 PM

Jun 2010
Siva said:
Muv-Luv-er said:
Siva said:
Muv-Luv-er said:
antonn said:

Even without you saying that I could already bet half of my season on this.

Well I'm expecting a lot from this since I've played the VN's and this is my most anticipated show of this season, so not to sound biased, but I really enjoyed the first ep. ^^
Jul 5, 2012 7:40 PM
Oct 2007
Decent episode. Seems like it wants to be Gunbuster. Will continue for now, but will probably end up dropping it down the line
Jul 6, 2012 11:48 AM

Jun 2007
Post-Josh said:
Rainbow-Dash said:

If this is true the anime industry has truly hit an all time low.

I'd say that's pretty accurate.
Jul 6, 2012 6:53 PM

Dec 2009
I dunno, if they do justice to Sword Art Online, I'm not going to write off the anime industry yet.
Jul 6, 2012 7:12 PM

Oct 2007
People are just forcing their definition of "good" and "bad" on everything they see fit.

Jul 6, 2012 11:52 PM

Jun 2010
We're only human ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
Jul 7, 2012 12:36 PM

Aug 2008
Looks pretty good so far. I'll stay around to see where this goes.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Season 2?

Allenkilla1 - Jun 11, 2013

45 by SlimShadyArgos1 »»
Dec 30, 2023 3:23 AM

» Muv Luv's Japanese critique of Americans

Jerrychiang - Aug 3, 2012

45 by 8man226 »»
Nov 9, 2023 7:32 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2012

146 by tinitits »»
Feb 28, 2023 9:49 AM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2012

52 by SMmania123 »»
Aug 13, 2022 8:21 PM

» Should i watch this?

Grontan - Jul 14, 2022

4 by ixarising »»
Jul 19, 2022 10:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.