Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 2, 2014 3:42 AM

Jul 2013
Killua can't open or break that box but he can open a gate weighing tons!! and the way they lift or carry that box seems like its not that heavy.. hmmm..... Nen is quite tough
Mar 30, 2014 5:43 PM
Oct 2009
Gon's dad is an asshole imo. He should have gone to see him even if once an year.
Apr 10, 2014 5:39 AM

Aug 2013
Good episode, not much happened, but yeah.
May 16, 2014 8:30 AM

Jan 2011
i was bored for the most part but the final minute or so was rather interesting, I guess it was nice that a female character had a bit of screentime as well
at this point man im only watching this to find the OMG so dark, best action animu evar, OMG people die (like that hadn't been done before in other shonen), this aint no shit shonen boy, this is seinen an such stuff that people talk about but I haven't seen so far

Avato-chan said:
this part is where it gets goooood! spiders/yorkshinnnnnn!!! yaya!

ive heard this before, hopefully this time itll be true
May 16, 2014 8:46 AM

Jan 2014
The "this ain't no shonen" is already done in previous arcs. You missed it. It doesn't follow shonen cliche, and it didn't. Right now you are merely watching with a close-minded attitude just to complain.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 16, 2014 8:57 AM

Jan 2011
judals said:
The "this ain't no shonen" is already done in previous arcs. You missed it. It doesn't follow shonen cliche, and it didn't. Right now you are merely watching with a close-minded attitude just to complain.

not true if anything im trying to enjoy whatever small things this anime has offered, like the small revelation during this ep, sure it was during the last couple of minutes but it was better than nothing
shonen cliches? ive seen a lot while watching this shonen but that doesn't mean its a bad thing
May 16, 2014 9:02 AM

Jan 2014
silversaint said:
judals said:

not true if anything im trying to enjoy whatever small things this anime has offered, like the small revelation during this ep, sure it was during the last couple of minutes but it was better than nothing
shonen cliches? ive seen a lot while watching this shonen but that doesn't mean its a bad thing

You've seen tropes, but not cliches, since togashi had played with them to make them different. Well the best part imo was the development in character with gon and killua's conversation and what it means for the future, rather than the simple reveal of ging.
It seemed that to you it was just some talk no jutsu or something.
GrunbeldMay 16, 2014 9:06 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 16, 2014 1:28 PM

May 2013
silversaint said:
i was bored for the most part but the final minute or so was rather interesting, I guess it was nice that a female character had a bit of screentime as well
at this point man im only watching this to find the OMG so dark, best action animu evar, OMG people die (like that hadn't been done before in other shonen), this aint no shit shonen boy, this is seinen an such stuff that people talk about but I haven't seen so far

Avato-chan said:

I doubt that you will enjoy the rest of the series no matter how much people love the next arc.
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
May 16, 2014 1:34 PM

Mar 2014
silversaint said:
judals said:

If you weren't moved by how Gon decided to erase whatever Ging had to say about his mom then idk. I thought that was a pretty bold move made by a little kid and I especially liked his way of thinking, even though I would have liked to know more about his mom.

Anyway, people always say it's not worth watching until the Yorknew Arc, and I agree to a degree but I thought HxH's beginning with the Hunter Exam was already pretty solid.

But what the other guys said, idk if you'll enjoy the rest of the show (even though the next arc is one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed).
May 19, 2014 11:27 AM

Dec 2011
Aww, gon has a nice home-life.
May 19, 2014 11:33 AM

Dec 2011
VampireOjouChan said:
Gon's dad is an asshole imo. He should have gone to see him even if once an year.

He is an asshole, and a shit father. Makes me wonder if Gon was really so lacking in a male role-model that he ended up obsessed with a father who was never there.
May 19, 2014 11:57 AM
May 2014
DalPuri said:
VampireOjouChan said:

He is an asshole, and a shit father. Makes me wonder if Gon was really so lacking in a male role-model that he ended up obsessed with a father who was never there.

Not only that but Gon's father also designed a game where seemingly hundreds of people died just so Gon could be a little stronger.

Made me wonder for a second if Ging didn't have anything to do with the whole Chimera Ant arc, maybe he set it up all LoL (I know, probably not)
May 19, 2014 12:10 PM

Oct 2013
tesla21 said:
DalPuri said:
VampireOjouChan said:

Not only that but Gon's father also designed a game where seemingly hundreds of people died just so Gon could be a little stronger.

Made me wonder for a second if Ging didn't have anything to do with the whole Chimera Ant arc, maybe he set it up all LoL (I know, probably not)

GI Arc.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
May 19, 2014 12:19 PM
May 2014
soundscape said:
tesla21 said:
DalPuri said:
VampireOjouChan said:

GI Arc.

I do know but come on I am sure he knew people would die in a game like this.

Rule makes it so you can't just kill to win but it doesn't really prevent you from going on a killing rampage.

And killing isn't all that useless considering that it helps to obtain monopolized cards.
May 19, 2014 12:24 PM

Dec 2011
tesla21 said:
soundscape said:
tesla21 said:
DalPuri said:
VampireOjouChan said:

GI Arc.

I do know but come on I am sure he knew people would die in a game like this.

Rule makes it so you can't just kill to win but it doesn't really prevent you from going on a killing rampage.

And killing isn't all that useless considering that it helps to obtain monopolized cards.

Remember that GI isn't just any old game.
May 19, 2014 4:38 PM

Jul 2013
DalPuri said:
Makes me wonder if Gon was really so lacking in a male role-model that he ended up obsessed with a father who was never there.
OMG...your posts just make me think more and more about the characterization portrayed in the anime, and how it actually is tying together & working. Wow.

Thank you.
May 19, 2014 7:53 PM

May 2014
GalekC said:
DalPuri said:
Makes me wonder if Gon was really so lacking in a male role-model that he ended up obsessed with a father who was never there.
OMG...your posts just make me think more and more about the characterization portrayed in the anime, and how it actually is tying together & working. Wow.

Thank you.

I don't really see this being true. From episode 1, Gon's motivation for finding Ging has been wanting to know what about being a Hunter is so great that it would make Ging abandon his kid to be one. It was always a quest of purest curiosity, contrary to some search for compensation from a deprived youth.

Jun 25, 2014 10:39 PM

Nov 2011
I am absurdly curious about that ring. Why didn't he put it oooooon? D:

Ging seems like an interesting guy, in any case. Getting some more backstory for Gon was cool. I had assumed his mother was dead, but it would be interesting if she wasn't. She could be a Hunter too, for all we know.

Looking forward to the next episode.
Jun 26, 2014 12:14 AM

Jan 2013
This anime really knows how to keep things interesting and engaging.
Didn't think the box would be opened by the end of this episode.
Dec 4, 2014 8:44 AM

Oct 2011
Gon and Killua's friendship is so cute! Looking forward to finding out more about Ging. I thought it was adorable when Gon talked about how Mito-san is the only mother he's ever needed.
Dec 9, 2014 6:13 PM

Sep 2012
I just knew they were going to mention Playstation when they said memory card! Lolz and a cassette tape? Daaaamn
Dec 22, 2014 11:54 AM

Aug 2013
Mmm, that whole episode made me curious about Gon family. The relationship between Mito and Ging was... odd to say the least. They looked really close, yet not really. Also... is that you, Emiya Kiritsugu? :P

I hope eventually Killua find something worth to fight for. It look like he feels like an empty shell. At least, he have some good friends.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 1, 2015 2:17 PM

May 2014
Gon and Killua took a bath together!!! Best friends ever! fun episode, am looking forward to the next episode.
Mar 17, 2015 5:46 PM

Jun 2009
Wonder what the ring and memory card are for?
Apr 18, 2015 4:33 PM

Jun 2014
Teehee Killiua just took Gon's bed.

That awkward moment when you eat dinner with a religious family and you start early.

May 19, 2015 1:13 AM

Jul 2008
real asshole is Gon not giving 2 shits about his mother but instead obsessing over his father
After I Crush Your Dreams......
Your Bones Will Follow......
Jul 23, 2015 11:10 AM

Dec 2012
Very peaceful episode. You get to see Gon and Killua just be kids.
Sep 3, 2015 9:22 PM

Feb 2015
of freaking course i loved the gon and killua parts!~
that part with gon and how he feels about his mother was done different (surprise surprise) than the '99. both were feels induced though :'(

my mother found this "home arc" boring, but how could it be boring with the best bros ever? :D
Dec 27, 2015 11:54 AM

Oct 2013
Such a nice and heartwarming episode. Needs more Kurapika though!
Jan 8, 2016 4:06 AM

Jun 2015
dayum, on to the next one
Jan 12, 2016 9:08 PM

Nov 2012
I immediately thought Ging's voice was familiar when I heard it. After looking at his voice actor its the same dude that voices Kiritsugu in the fate series so no wonder!! Fucking awesome.

That ring is very mysterious wonder if its something to use to unlock some cool ability for gon. I wonder if there was anything else on that damn tape besides his dad asking him if gon wanted to find him, which was more like a rhetorical question anyway lol
Jan 12, 2016 9:14 PM

Nov 2012
silversaint said:

Avato-chan said:

Im watching the show for a very simular reason. For some reason I never came across info that the show starts off so damn slow until I already watched a number of episodes. Its been very much a typical shounen, I had those high expectations from ep 1 so I was kinda upset. Especially at Gon being a very typical happy go lucky shonen protagonist

The hunter exam arc was very typical stuff for most of it, same with the heaven's tower both were nothing special besides the introduction of Nen, and this buildup and hints towards phantom troupe stuff . Looking forward to the show taking a darker turn :P
Feb 28, 2016 9:11 AM
Feb 2016
Check Mito's Clothing around 12 minutes into the episode...isnt that Kurta Clan clothing??? Isn't that the same clan that's closed off and is the same one Kurapika is from?
Apr 13, 2016 10:06 AM

Aug 2014
One of my favorite episodes <3 seriously the best friendship in anime ^ ^
May 13, 2016 9:50 AM

Dec 2015
Gon and Killua's friendship is so beautiful <3
Jun 10, 2016 5:46 AM

Jun 2016
While the bromance was fun, it was funny and annoying at the same time when Gon mentions that since the only person his age on Whale island is a girl, he didn't have any friends there. As if her being a girl completely negates the possibility. I could hope this was a hint at some awesome female character that this show sorely needs in its main cast, but I suppose that's being too optimistic.
ArachnophobicJun 11, 2016 9:12 AM
Jun 11, 2016 8:54 AM

Jan 2014
Arachnophobic said:
While the bromance was fun, it was funny and annoying at the same time when Gon mentions that since the only person his age on Whale island is a girl, he didn't have any friends there. As if her being a girl completely negates the possibility. I could hope this was a hint at some awesome female character that this show sorely needs in its main case, but I suppose that's being too optimistic.

I found the lack of a female character in the main cast to be remarkable considering how banal and cliche female characters are so commonly portrayed in the shonen demographic, normally adding nothing but baited one sided romance mechanics or even limiting the depth of a character.

While there are female characters in the series, I respect the unconventional approach Togashi made when displaying the characters. I remember reading an interview with him mentioning how much he dislikes female characters and considered Keiko (Yusuke's girlfriend in YYH) to be his least favorite character because she was a manga cliche.
Jun 11, 2016 9:30 AM

Jun 2016
Lizzy_Fizz said:
I found the lack of a female character in the main cast to be remarkable considering how banal and cliche female characters are so commonly portrayed in the shonen demographic, normally adding nothing but baited one sided romance mechanics or even limiting the depth of a character.

While there are female characters in the series, I respect the unconventional approach Togashi made when displaying the characters. I remember reading an interview with him mentioning how much he dislikes female characters and considered Keiko (Yusuke's girlfriend in YYH) to be his least favorite character because she was a manga cliche.

I realised even as I was submitting that post that the one thing that could be worse than no female representation in the main cast would be a token female character with no depth. It's just that Gon's line rankled a bit; but it's also true that boys his age (and younger) are often sworn enemies with girls.

P.S.: I now happen to be acquainted with Melody and Bisky, and both have satiated my urge to see a great female character get some screen time (not to mention the antagonists).
Jun 26, 2016 12:37 PM
Jun 2015
Ging sounds so cool! I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! Good ep.
Aug 23, 2016 4:29 PM

May 2014
Lol @ Killua's awkwardness when Gon is talking about how close they are.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Oct 11, 2016 12:41 AM

Dec 2012
When I heard Ging's voice, all I could yell was.....RIKIYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Oct 31, 2016 7:10 AM

Jun 2016
Killua and Gon's friendship <3
Mito-san (Y)
Feb 9, 2017 7:34 PM

Apr 2016
Conversation between Killua and Gon at the campfire made me tear up.
Jun 29, 2017 2:02 AM

May 2016
What the hell is that question you stupid Ging of course he miss you ***** I;m so pissed now.
Jul 24, 2017 12:01 PM

Nov 2014
I also first thought about card... damn, am I as stupid as Gon?
Jul 29, 2017 5:38 PM
Mar 2017
Aw Killua and Gon bonding.

Finally Gon learns more about Ging. And turns out that they look a lot alike.
Nov 26, 2017 5:14 PM

May 2013
Gon and Killua are one of my fave duos TTATT I told y'all they warm up my heart ❤︎❤︎❤︎

Young Ging looks like a hawt version of Gon LOL. I love that determined gleam in his eyes. Unf. He seems way more mature and intelligent (sorry not sorry, Gon; but the way you were gonna open the box using your Hunter card instead of Nen....... LMFAO)
Dec 15, 2017 4:43 PM

Mar 2016
I am kinda confused, the relationships in HxH 1999 and HxH 2011 is VERY DIFFERENT! (Such as in 1999 Gon's mom is Mito's sister BUT in 2011 Gon's mom is just some other woman) Also: (In 1999 Mito is Ging's sister in law but in 2011 Mito is Ging's cousin... They changed to the point that you could say this is quite an incest relationship if you combine both relationship version)

It's nice to see Gon's reunion and his discoveries of his father Ging (again)
Ging really looked like Gon when he's at Gon's age. Except that he's taller!
ShadowkillZDec 15, 2017 4:49 PM
Mar 21, 2018 10:38 PM
Apr 2017
No action in this one, but I love seeing Gon and Killua's friendship. Also seeing Killua being very confused by the whole "normal family" time.
Apr 12, 2018 11:30 AM
Jul 2018
I like how the first thing Ging said to Gon was "yo"
Killua's reaction to Gon talking about their closeness was too cute!
Their friendship is definitely one of the best things about this show.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Yesterday

57 by animeboilolz »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
6 hours ago

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Yesterday, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.