Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jul 6, 2012 2:42 AM

Jul 2008
yeah this went from a 10 to a 9. Do explanation about Sen's family? Or Karou's? That was an extremely rushed ending and in fact changed from the manga which was a disappointment.
Jul 8, 2012 6:30 PM

Nov 2007
Just finished this series. What a heartwarming finish to a wonderful show.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jul 9, 2012 5:41 PM

Dec 2009
I agree this episode felt rushed.

While there was a lot to enjoy about this anime, the music, the animation, the pacing, the characters, the heart. I really would have liked to seen the plot go in a different direction and could have seen more episodes in this anime but I guess they were really slice of life-ing it.

Sentress said:
... I'm kinda disappointed that things didn't work out between Kaoru and Ritsuko. =/ ...
Totally agree on this.

I think halfway through the season when the love triangle went all bonkers I realized this wouldn't be a 10 for me. I'm going to place this at 7/10. That being said I really look forward the next project that includes either Watanabe, Shinichiro (cowboy bebop and samurai champloo are two of my most fave anime right now) and/or Kanno, Yoko (her music seems to do no wrong).
RyanBebopJul 9, 2012 5:45 PM
Such junk...
Jul 11, 2012 1:47 PM

Dec 2010
SOMEONE PLEASE tell me what piano/other instrument piece plays when they show the "8 years later" and when Koaru is shown to be a doctor and doing doctorstuff. I cant find that ANYWHERE on the soundtrack:/
"If you don't love anyone, it'll make your life easier. But, I don't want to believe it's useless to love anyone" - Hikari Sakishima
Jul 11, 2012 8:06 PM

Nov 2011
This definatly was uplifting and nice. But again very rushed conlclusion for a well made series. IMO, if the other people on the thread didn't like the end, read Vol 9 of the manga. Theres so ,uch they cut out its shocking.
Jul 12, 2012 4:50 AM

May 2010
Kurimu-chan said:
Tears were shed.

So.
many.
tears.

BRILLIANT ENDING.

This. 10/10
Jul 12, 2012 10:48 AM

Aug 2011
Loved how it lead up to the ending, was great.
9/10
Jul 13, 2012 12:41 PM

Apr 2012
I'm going to miss watching this series...Nice closure, Riko looks very lovely with her new hairstyle~

黒子のバスケ, こうすけ@ついった
Jul 15, 2012 11:52 AM

Oct 2010
Some things deviated from the manga since the middle of the series up to the ending, and there were cuts here and there, but nonetheless this is an excellent anime with excellent ending to wrap it all up.

For those who want more detail on what happened in the 8 years gap I strongly recommend to read the whole manga. There's even Sachiko's marriage and some additional Kaoru Ritsuko scenes.

I am speechless about the whole series. This series deserved more attention, budget, and episodes than other over-cliched and fan service-y animes out there which get to run for 24 episodes with panty shots + beach episodes + overly moe characters. This anime is the kind of anime which deserves more support and promotions rather than those kinds of animes; Sakamichi no Apollon has superb storyline and characterization, on top of that great Jazz musics which has made me realize that Jazz isn't so dull after all. In the end I am so thankful that there are still some high-quality animes out there (faith in anime restored).

Yes it has so many cuts, especially countless scenes of bromance (to prevent further gayness I think), few scenes of Ricchan x Kaoru (to prevent fujoshis from getting annoyed), and few mini-details plus two mini-arc and one big arc called "Kaoru's university life". But in the end everything turned out well, and all that ends well is all well. So, 9/10.

~ IA- Aria on the Planetes ~ Vocaloid V3 voiced by LiA (Clannad Afterstory, Angel Beats! theme song singer)
Jul 15, 2012 4:25 PM
Nov 2009
I liked how this ended. Even though it felt kinda rushed, it still ended with a heart warming and happy feeling.
I'd like to see what happens next in their life now that they have seen each other again after 8 years.
But I guess that'll never happen :< Still a good ending though 9/10

And to people who think their bromance was gay are probably gay themselves lol just sayin.
Jul 18, 2012 12:46 PM

Apr 2010
OMGGGGG I LUV IT!!!!!!!! so heartwarming what would be better is if sen got a girlfriend too . BUT STILL AWESOME ANIME!!!!!!!!!
"Do not consider yourself deprived because your dreams were not fulfilled; the truly deprived have never dreams."
-Marie von Ebner
Jul 19, 2012 4:46 AM

Nov 2010
Amazing ending <3
Jul 19, 2012 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
Great anime overall. Really liked the ending. Not sure if I'll read the manga or not though. I'm not sure if I have enough patience
Jul 20, 2012 2:29 PM

Apr 2008
Great enidnig, I'll give it a 9. Mr Watanabe, please, don't disappear again, japanese animation needs you!

And what to say about Yoko Kanno's work? Brilliant as always, both with the selection of jazz classics and her new compositions. And mabanua does also a great job with two songs!

A trully great anime, I'll miss it.
Jul 21, 2012 4:12 PM

Oct 2011
Amazing anime, 'specially with the jazz. It carried so much powerful emotion in each tune.
They nailed what was arguably the best part of the show. Though it is to be expected from Kanno and Watanabe.

Minor gripes here and there, but overall I give it a 9/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 21, 2012 9:04 PM

Apr 2012
Meepy said:
I could never really get emotionally invested in this show, for some reason; but somehow, the finale did make me really care.
Can't say I was too fond of what happened between Kaoru and Ritsuko in the first half of the episode, but I really loved their train scene.

But an eight year time skip. . . that's pretty bad. Especially with no hints as to what even happened during that period. Oddly, the thing I really wanted to know was Kaoru's reason for studying medicine/becoming a doctor.

Anyway, enjoyed the series overall. Loved the jazz. And friendship.

well earlier in the show, one of Kaoru's relatives did mention wanting him to become a doctor.It probably has something to do with his wealthy and educated background. There are people who want to become doctors not necessarily for any greater reason than because their relatives pushed them toward that career direction. Doubt it was because of sentaro's sister that Kaoru wanted to become a doctor like one of the earlier posts had mentioned.

All in all, the ending was clearly rushed and spoiled the whole episode.The female lead only shows up for like a minute at the end. The bromance part dragged on way too long. The lack of conclusiveness regarding kaoru and ritsuko's relationship made it seem like watching the series was a waste of time. The 2nd train parting scene was inferior to the 1st one though I did enjoy the music for former. It was very fitting and set the tone of Kaoru's bittersweet departure. Although I get the impression ritsuko didn't completely give up her feelings on Sentaro. Her "moments of affection" with Kaoru were also awkward to watch. Her whole mentality for liking Kaoru seems to be Kaoru is such a nice friend and she kind of owed him for that,along with knowing that Sentaro most likely wouldn't return her feelings had she explicitly told him. It would have probably been preferable if Kaoru just gave up on Ritsuko and Ritsuko never out of nowhere started liking Kaoru. This is of course my opinion but the drama feels forced at certain parts of this anime though as a whole this anime was certainly enjoyable. Though like many have pointed out, there simply wasn't enough jazz in this show.
omoikane27Jul 23, 2012 8:49 AM
Jul 26, 2012 2:13 PM
Jan 2010
Easily the best anime I've seen.
This last episode... I don't know if there has been a single final episode of an anime that has made me cry this kind of tears of joy. Seriously.
Jul 30, 2012 11:54 AM

Feb 2012
I'm hovering between 8 and 9 out of ten for this one. The series started out great but towards the end it was feeling increasingly rushed and melodramatic with less focus on jazz. And yet despite all the melodrama they just made all the conflicts dissipate with time instead of the characters seeking any solutions to their problems. All those Brief Encounter scenes at the train station felt overused. It was still very enjoyable, but I feel this might have been a better series if the story had had a few more episodes to develop with more music added.
Aug 5, 2012 6:17 PM

Mar 2009
iCry.
Cuz it was beautiful till the very end. And I know that that little church will become the most favorite place in the world for these three after that small basement.
Loved this show, glad i got to see it!

Aug 7, 2012 3:20 PM

Oct 2009
Music, youth, friendship, love, heartbreak, search... This was definitely worth the wait! I'm glad I watched this! =))
Aug 8, 2012 10:25 PM

Oct 2008
So good... One of my favorite animes forever...

Aug 12, 2012 10:15 AM

Dec 2011
BEST 2012 anime! (˘̩̩̩⌣˘̩ƪ)
Brilliant. Beautiful.
Thanks to this anime, I've taken interest into jazz!
I'll miss it! T_____T A lot.
I've recommended this anime to almost everyone. XD Ahhh. Such a success!
The ending made me hyper. XD
Aug 15, 2012 11:35 PM

Oct 2008
I cried hard. I cried.. D'x

Beautiful anime. I'm glad I marathoned it. T_T

Aug 16, 2012 12:06 AM

Sep 2010
...the romance jumble was kind of boring, Sen's leaving(twice) was over dramatic, Nishimi kept making the same mistake of pushing people away and then apologizing afterwards, and the accident was cliche as hell. The characters was just needed to make mistakes and make mistakes often.

I'll be generous: 8/10

Aug 17, 2012 6:07 PM

Apr 2009
Good ending, pretty good show overall.
Aug 19, 2012 3:49 PM

Jul 2008
I'm mad at myself for taking so long to finish this beautiful anime!!! Not knowing what happened after they all reunited on the island would have probably driven me insane if I wouldn't have read all these posts to see what happens next in the manga.

I for one loved all the focus on the bromance :) I thought it was incredibly sweet and I don't think we see enough true bromance in animes. It was refreshing!
Aug 25, 2012 12:34 PM

Jan 2010
THE BEST !!
Great anime !!
Aug 28, 2012 5:32 AM
Jul 2012
3 years later... fair enough. But 8 years....to big of a jump
Sep 4, 2012 3:02 PM

Dec 2008
This series was very sweet and definitly had its comical and even emotional moments. I was hoping to see more of Sen and Nishimi's musically-ness, maybe see them go somewhere with it. The ending was quite disappointing, in my opinion. Didn't like how 8 yrs just goes by like nothing and then, oh shit, they're all back together again like nothing ever happened and then it's "the end". lol

Overall, I gave this series a 6/10.

Sep 6, 2012 8:18 AM

Apr 2010
Such a beautiful show.
The end was a little bit surprising in my opinion, but very very good though.
I'm a huge Kaoru x Ritsuko fan, so I was expecting some more scenes with them both together, but whatever. :)
Sep 10, 2012 2:40 AM

Oct 2010
xBits said:
Terrific show! But it seems to me Watanabe just doesn't do closure. :) You'll always be left wanting more and saying 'what's next, dammit, tell me what happens next, you're killing me here!'

outlawauron said:
I really liked the ending a lot, but the only thing keeping it from a 10 for me was the lack of information/closure. Yes, they're all friends again and people are happy, but what's next? Do they all separate again? Try to live closer? Will Sentaro explain himself? Will Kaoru and Ritsuko finally be together?

according to manga,Ritsuko are still single and looking for her bridegroom,Kaoru is not going to go back Tokyo,and they seems to have feelings to each other.Since Kaoru decided to stay so they will be together again..

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/sakamichi_no_apollon/c045/31.html
Signature Removed
Sep 10, 2012 8:15 AM

Sep 2010
sf2323 said:
3 years later... fair enough. But 8 years....to big of a jump

Welcome to life. Long separations are entirely plausible especially when someone leaves without giving any contact information or when there is an understanding that their lives have to travel separate paths.

Sep 28, 2012 12:48 AM

Oct 2008
8/10 from me.
Too much cliches and so many people fell for them. Yeah, the story was touching but meanwhile was like a tower of cliches which I don't like. The music was good but not enough (as a matter of quantity not quality). At the end the comparisons with BECK seem strange now.
However, the anime is really nice, so watch it.

(Edited the most harsh part, because when I rethought it I liked it more)
soregashiOct 1, 2012 5:23 PM

Conflict between men will be impossible, only when mankind is reduced to one person or less.
Sep 30, 2012 9:51 AM

Aug 2011
So, i have watched the whole anime (12 episodes are not that much) after it has been praised by many but i have to say i am a little disappointed. I expected a Jazz version of Nodame and got another, usual teenie angst and feelings Josei in a for an anime unusual setting. The focus was too much on the relationships, the love triangles etc. instead of the music, at least for me. 6/10

Maybe it was my own fault to go with high expectations and more important, specific expectations but still does not change that i do not share the euphoria for this anime.
Oct 6, 2012 9:38 AM

Jan 2012
wtf is this shit...

the character development turned to shit

there is little to no plot

wtf at the shit random predictable ending

waste of time /10
flaxman85Oct 6, 2012 9:41 AM
Oct 10, 2012 10:07 AM

May 2009
4 months before i decided to watch ep 11 & 12 huh. -___-
wtf was i thinking..LOL atleast it didn't took me 8 years. =))
though wasn't disappointed at the ending
it was satisfying. :)
and hearing moanin' again kinda brings back
some memories :)

9/10 for the whole show. :D
but really the opening was so great!!
Oct 14, 2012 1:41 AM

Nov 2009
This series was ok, I wouldn't say it was ground breaking nor would I say it was excellent. It had alot of interesting parts that you don't see everyday, such as the slight racism against foreigners due to taking place in 1966 near a military base as well as the whole Jazz theme however it didn't do anything spectacular either. It didn't make me jump for joy at any parts or make me tear up at any parts. Don't get me wrong it was good however the series is extremely overrated, many people said it was amazing although I'm gonna guess that might be due to the fact that this is the first non-shounen romance they have seen... The series is an 8/10 over all being generous however since I'm not in the mood for being generous I would give it a 7/10. Certainly worth the watch however I probably wouldn't recommend it if someone was looking for a great slice of life or romance, and I certainly wouldn't ever look back years from now and debate whether I should rewatch it or not. The best way I can put it was it was good but not memorable.
Oct 21, 2012 2:20 PM
Sep 2012
Shows like this are why I love anime. Although the jazz was amazing, the OP by YUKI never failed to put a smile on my face and make me bob my head. Daisukidesu!
Oct 22, 2012 5:42 PM
Feb 2012
when loves , friendship and music come together in an anime , a masterpiece anime was born
Oct 31, 2012 12:26 AM

Sep 2007
Wow. Just wow. Easily the best of the season for me and one of the best I've ever seen. Took me a bit to get used to the style but it didn't matter. This series was phenomenal and I enjoyed every episode. I wish there was more definite closure but then again maybe that makes it a bit too unrealistic.

10/10 for me simply because of lasting impact and emotional resonance. I will always remember watching this anime and enjoying it and that's more than I can say for most series.
Nov 23, 2012 4:35 PM

Sep 2012
That fcking ending. It wasn't terrible, but I hated it. Did they really need to jump 8 years into the future? WHY. WHY. WHY. WHY NO CLOSURE
cksdayoffNov 24, 2012 10:19 AM
Nov 23, 2012 6:49 PM

Sep 2012
It felt rushed. Graduation to eight years later... What a bittersweet ending. I need to start reading the manga.
Nov 29, 2012 12:25 AM

Jun 2012
I loved it. I didn't know whether I should have been laughing or crying at the end. It was so different from anything I watched in the past and I think that's why I really enjoyed it. I also really loved the fact that he had to go up a hill to the church and the pigeon, just so well done.
I wandered through fiction to look for the truth.

Nov 30, 2012 8:11 AM

Jul 2011
Awesome anime but bitter sweet ending, left me wanting more and feeling a little sad cause I am gonna miss it. but overall its awesome and I finished it in 2 days.
I hoped that they did not wait for 8 years tho its so long and I also wanted more details about their life.
Dec 1, 2012 11:30 PM

Dec 2010
Show is great overall, but judging by the pacing in the earlier episodes, this has come off as a show that should've been 25 episodes. They shafted that and came to an acceptable improvised solution. However, that doesn't change the fact that everything presented to us in the OP, the OST and the end of ep 7 tells us there was bound to be more for us to enjoy.... we should've seen Sentarou and Junichi get their life back on track, Ritsuko becoming the singer in the group, and the group play at least 2 more times... there were so many soundtracks on the OST that never got a real moment to shine, like My Favourite Things, Run, and Lullaby of Birdlands.
Dec 17, 2012 8:41 AM

Jan 2009
If Sentaro's sister didn't blame herself for making him abandon his family, then everything's fine, but I fear that's not the case. Stupid boy. TALK TO YOUR FAMILY!! D8 They love you. =(

Reeeally enjoyed this show. I'd never heard of it before and just watched it in one sitting yesterday. The animation, especially of the musical performances, was just fantastic. Learning that Watanabe directed it made a whole lot of things make sense.

I do wonder why it would seem Kaoru never got in touch with Jun even though they both were in Tokyo that whole time. Oh well. Life, I guess. I get so nostalgic when watching this kind of show. If health hadn't stopped me, I'd still be in a Piano trio myself. I love it when music is respected in anime.
Jan 6, 2013 11:26 PM

Oct 2012
cksdayoff said:
That fcking ending. It wasn't terrible, but I hated it. Did they really need to jump 8 years into the future? WHY. WHY. WHY. WHY NO CLOSURE

+100500
The ending is kill all feelings in that anime :(
Jan 14, 2013 5:32 AM
Jan 2013
I cried really hard on the last episode adn went to read the final chapter of the manga a few mins ago...wow. I just wish the anime had been longer. I do love how the anime ending is different from the manga and stuff. What a beautiful story and a great story about people having such a strong bond! I love the two main boys...seriously what a bond. I've never seen anything like that in an anime before tbqh.
Jan 20, 2013 3:28 PM

May 2011
dammit heart is broken into thousand pieces... I really loved every single episode of this anime and the final is great too...

I hoped they will be a together forever, but this ending probably is way better...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I'm feeling really small :(
Jan 28, 2013 7:27 PM

Mar 2012
The ending was great. It felt like this anime could have been a bit longer but it didn't really need to be.
Pages (10) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dltd - May 24, 2012

253 by defaulticus »»
Apr 9, 12:15 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

a6342164 - Apr 19, 2012

209 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Mar 30, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Pizzaholic - Apr 12, 2012

308 by onnongo »»
Feb 13, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2012

166 by lazypanda666 »»
Feb 5, 4:45 AM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2012

136 by lazypanda666 »»
Jan 27, 11:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.