Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Available on Manga Store
New
What's special about Nazo no Kanojo X (Generally)?
Jun 22, 2012 8:01 PM

Feb 2012
I've only seen up to episode 11, so disregard whatever aired after that. Tons of people seem to have a positive attitude for this anime (I'm not saying that I don't) in general, and I would like to know why.

Please take just a few seconds to vote for the Poll. Thanks.
(I personally like option1)
Jun 22, 2012 10:50 PM

Nov 2007
Plot/Characters (interesting) + the voices (Miyu-Miyu and KajiKaji).
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jun 23, 2012 1:08 PM

Jul 2011
I've only seen two episodes and i thought it was going to start getting rowdy and dirty ( It still might), but haha The connection between them with the drool really interests me a lot.
Jun 24, 2012 12:47 PM

Apr 2012
Here's a few reasons in no particular order.

1: The Romance, makes my heart feel all nice inside.
2: The Odd Bond, it's interesting to me, makes me wonder what french kissing would feel like for them.
3: The Music, the Opening, the End, the Circus music and everything else.
4: Urabe Mikoto, her hair and her voice makes be go crazy for some reason.
5: The Fan service, not flashy and not too much of it (for a seinen anime), I like that don't ask why.
6: The Animation, it looks a bit outdated but it's mixed with some modern animation (example: the dream city was definitely made with a 3D modeling program)
7: Those Moments, that you want to happen but rarely see them but when you do it's just that much more awesome.
wazzupyallJun 24, 2012 12:52 PM
Jun 24, 2012 12:57 PM

Oct 2011
As much as I dislike any fanservice at all in this case I'm fine with it
also this "outdated" animation and character design is awesome
not to mention voice acting (especially in case of Urabe)

to sum up it's a bizarre series with weird concept but made in a way that is simply works

even more, my wife who dislikes most of anime enjoys it - so for one we have cartoon that we can watch together, so maybe that's why I also like it
Jun 24, 2012 1:11 PM

Oct 2011
Well,it just has this unique feel to me.The show is about the concept of expressing your feelings through drool & the growth & development of the relationship between Tsubaki & Urabe.If someone actually seen that been done before,then I like to now the name of that series.
It's very entertaining to see what these 2 go through in their daily lives.

Plus,Mikoto Urabe is the best part of this show & the cast.I'm not saying the cast or show is bad,just that she's better.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Jun 24, 2012 2:03 PM

Apr 2012
Because taste.
I can't really give you a reason, but I really enjoy watching this show.
Jun 24, 2012 8:16 PM

Sep 2011
I have no idea why I like it,I just do
Jun 24, 2012 8:51 PM

May 2010
if you're not into romances you'll probably just see this as another ecchi/fanservice piece of crap anime that you really don't know why you're even bothering with.. but if you are into romantic animes, then you'll understand that this is one of the better romances out there.. really, it's all about taste as said up there.. you can view this as wtf did he just eat her drool or aw.. how romantic.. i guess.

dunno. either you like the genre or you dont kind of thing.. or some people just can't get past the swallowing each other's spit thing..
Jun 24, 2012 8:59 PM

Jun 2012
Casperkid said:
if you're not into romances you'll probably just see this as another ecchi/fanservice piece of crap anime that you really don't know why you're even bothering with.. but if you are into romantic animes, then you'll understand that this is one of the better romances out there.. really, it's all about taste as said up there.. you can view this as wtf did he just eat her drool or aw.. how romantic.. i guess.

dunno. either you like the genre or you dont kind of thing.. or some people just can't get past the swallowing each other's spit thing..

...it's one of the better anime out there? I mean disregard me if something amazing has happened since episode 7 (which is where I put the show on hold), but I didn't see anything special or great about the show. I watched it for the pure novelty of the drool thing, which never failed to catch me off guard...but it got old.

I did really like the music though. Nothing ground breaking, but I thought it was pretty nice.
Jun 25, 2012 3:36 AM

Oct 2011
because it's romantic in a sweet, innocent, and yet somehow perverse way, just like adolescence.....plus it's source: a really great manga.........
Jun 25, 2012 3:55 AM

Jan 2012
How completely unique the main drive of this series is, the drool, I've never seen it being used for a plot like this before. All the random things that happen in each episode is awesome.
Jun 25, 2012 4:14 AM

May 2010
just like how people like yaoi, ecchy, naruto... and so on...
Jun 30, 2012 10:57 PM

Jun 2012
Ekstah said:
How completely unique the main drive of this series is, the drool, I've never seen it being used for a plot like this before. All the random things that happen in each episode is awesome.

The oddness of the whole series kept me watching it, and really drew me into it.
Row Row Fight The Power!
Jun 30, 2012 11:14 PM

Apr 2011
Because it is awesome possum. Must I say more?
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"
Jul 1, 2012 1:00 AM

Feb 2011
Probably the character designs drew me in the most and the story got very interesting as well.

Also, the music is good. OP/ED/BGM, all good.
Jul 1, 2012 10:03 AM

Feb 2012
I like it because it's a unique take on romance.

Not many highschool romance anime out there that have a relationship similar to Urabe and Tsubaki.

Also, Urabe's just downright sexy and cute. That, and the fanservice is an A+ for me :D
Jul 1, 2012 12:33 PM

Apr 2009
I just love the quirky characters. Though that music was pretty great too.
Jul 1, 2012 12:42 PM

Dec 2011
It'll be a while before I try this series if I ever do. The drool thing really grosses me out.
Jul 1, 2012 1:19 PM

Jul 2012
I love the story and characters that is why I like this series.
Mar 24, 2014 10:30 PM

Jul 2009
The Portrayal of bonding through saliva. I actually didn't think it would be that kind of special to be honest :)

It's definitely one of those weird fetishes that if you break it down. It's actually very good feel to it.

Music makes my mood feel great and right in the moment.

I do think they should have spend more time on developing other characters besides Urabe and Tsubaki(though they are the main characters after all)

Still it's the symbol of saliva that really made me think the series is unique and awesome(which it is!)
Mar 24, 2014 10:33 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Originality. Also a romance anime with really early relationship development and progress for once so something actually happens.
Jul 9, 2014 2:15 PM

Jul 2012
In general, I love Mysterious Girlfriend X because it hits so many of the right buttons for me in terms of my own preferences and opinions. To be more specific, the themes (at least, I think they're themes) of letting a relationship progress naturally without forcing it and the importance of emotional understanding in a relationship are ideas that I strongly gravitate towards. It helps that they are well-supported by Urabe's and Tsubaki's personalities, thoughts, and behaviors, as well as other ideas/concepts important to the series, primarily the drool-bond.

Speaking of the drool-bond, I find the concept of it to be absolutely fascinating, and I think the series uses it to great effect.

I also really like the characters, especially Urabe, and I like how, through her handling of various situations that are typical of this type of show (particularly the one in eps. 10-11), it doesn't go the typical route (typical isn't necessarily bad, it's just that in this case the typical route is painful and aggravating to me). Having a love triangle or overdramatized conflict between Urabe and Hayakawa that's exacerbated by an indecisive Tsubaki would have been immensely frustrating to watch.

In general it seems like, throughout its length, the show knows very clearly what it wants to do, and then does it very well. It just so happens that this is in line with some of my preferences.

Given the premise and the rom-com setup, I can easily picture the series having quickly devolved into something very standard, or worse. So the fact that a series that has so many things that I subjectively like also manages to be very good (to the best of my ability to perceive this, anyway) on a more objective/technical level (which I think influences the overall quality of a show a lot) is a huge plus for me.
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Jul 9, 2014 2:23 PM

Jan 2013
Pandering

Also any time weird shit like this comes out, the hipsters flock to it and pretend it has a deeper meaning.
Oct 20, 2014 12:10 PM

Jun 2013
Its something different and unique
:)
Oct 30, 2014 6:02 AM

Aug 2014
The concept seemed very weird; I was definitely expecting it to be something different from what it actually was.

While the drool thing could be considered a bit nasty, the concept of having the characters able to literally share their feelings with each other actually was pretty interesting to me. Now that I think about it, there wasn't really any deep underlying conflict going on, it was just the natural progression of their relationship, which is perfectly fine. It didn't manufacture some huge, life shattering event that is highly unlikely to occur during someone's high school years.

Also, Urabe is the bomb. For a scissor ninja, she's surprisingly down to earth and thoughtful and I guess that's the sort of thing I appreciate, especially with the overflow of super bubbly characters in many animes. And the way her hair covers her eyes made her gaze seem more impactful when her eyes actually showed. (Also, I know no one but me watches english dubs, but Genevieve Simmons did a great job with her voice; matched the character and design perfectly)
Mar 24, 2015 7:05 PM
Jul 2018
originality.
Dec 6, 2021 7:42 PM
Dec 2017
unique concept and sexy characters.

Dec 10, 2021 4:09 AM
Aug 2021
imma just remind the amount of FETISH in this HOT ANIME besides all the other normal factors.

Fetish : panty scissors, drool sucking, hair rubbing, tan and bikini, leg fetish, sweat fetish, ear licking, long black hair fetish, armpit (only a scene where the megane girl praised the drool girls armpit). The fetish are done not too wildly, but its enough to heal the wwary souls.

also they use drool to cut the time where the characters were supposed to guess what others are thinking. i like this use of drool, even straight up shipped urabe and mc by drool samplijg in episode 1. drool is just amazing.
May 24, 2023 11:21 AM
May 2023
It's not like those typical romance anime/manga out there, it focuses on the deep connection of Tsubaki and Urabe, I love everything about it. The one that I don't like though, is that it feels rushed and still not completed. I want a continuation of Mysterious Girlfriend X. definitely my favourite romance anime/manga ever. Riichi Ueshiba please make a continuation. I want their relationship to be more deeper, I want Riichi to finally make an explanation for all the weird things that's happening, if the continuation DO happen, I want Riichi to not make it rushed and finally make it feel completed, I want them to finally announce to everyone that they're dating.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nazo no Kanojo X Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 23, 2012

80 by Aoboba »»
Feb 23, 12:43 AM

Poll: » Nazo no Kanojo X Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2012

106 by Aoboba »»
Feb 23, 12:17 AM

Poll: » Nazo no Kanojo X Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jun 9, 2012

121 by Aoboba »»
Feb 23, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Nazo no Kanojo X Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 2, 2012

82 by Aoboba »»
Feb 22, 11:40 PM

Poll: » Nazo no Kanojo X Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 30, 2012

176 by BL4Z333 »»
Feb 14, 2:27 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.