Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 5, 2007 11:12 AM

Mar 2007
Sometimes a manga just translates poorly into an anime. Just wondering what Manga you thought should have just stayed manga instead of becoming a lesser version of itself in anime.

My only manga I have read so far that is like this is Yakitate Japan. None of the excitement or fun seems to translate for me while watching this. It just seems they made it far too goofy. Yes I was expecting goofy, but it just almost cheesy in a sense to me. And not in a good Bo-bobo way. If that makes any sense.

List em people!:p
Pages (18) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 5, 2007 1:23 PM

Aug 2007
Hamminaptu said:
Sometimes a manga just translates poorly into an anime. Just wondering what Manga you thought should have just stayed manga instead of becoming a lesser version of itself in anime.

My only manga I have read so far that is like this is Yakitate Japan. None of the excitement or fun seems to translate for me while watching this. It just seems they made it far too goofy. Yes I was expecting goofy, but it just almost cheesy in a sense to me. And not in a good Bo-bobo way. If that makes any sense.

List em people!:p

I honestly thought that the Yakitate!! Japan anime was pretty good. For me, I think it would probably have to be Hoshin Engi. I loved the manga but the anime version just plain sucked.
Sep 5, 2007 1:38 PM

Apr 2007
There's a bunch. Tenjō Tenge, D.N. Angel, Tokyo Babylon.

However, the grand prize goes to I"s. What an utter waste.
Sep 16, 2007 11:15 AM
Jul 2007
Tsubasa Chronicles

Dear lord.
Sep 16, 2007 2:48 PM

Jan 2007
DEATH NOTE.
Sep 16, 2007 3:00 PM

Oct 2006
accela said:
Tsubasa Chronicles

Dear lord.
Even without reading the manga I have to agree to that...
Sep 16, 2007 3:07 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
hounddog said:
DEATH NOTE.

QFT
Sep 16, 2007 3:09 PM

Mar 2007

Tsubasa Chronicles, definetely. My favourite manga became a terrible, terrible, terrible anime. Let's hope Tokyo Revelations is good....

Most of CLAMP's greatest mangas have terrible anime adaptations. So I'll add RG Veda, Tokyo Babylon, xxxholic and X to that.

And Naruto is a good manga to read but it's a torture to watch the anime. so..sloooowwwww....
Sep 16, 2007 3:23 PM

Jun 2007
Samurai Girl Real Bout High School. ._.

While the manga is not anything amazing, at least it was entertaining. The anime has a completely different -- and terrible -- plot. It was just painful to watch.

And Tsubasa Chronicle definitely lost its magic when it became an anime. D:

Anime!RG Veda sucked too. XD
Sep 18, 2007 5:58 AM

Sep 2007
Full Metal Alchemist. They changed it to much. Some of the Changes just didn't make any sense And the ending was terrible.
Sep 18, 2007 1:51 PM

Jul 2007
Be sure to note, that some of the anime started production BEFORE the manga was ever finished. For example, the first Hellsing was started before the manga was done, and look how it pales in comparison to the manga/Hellsing OVA.
Sep 18, 2007 3:13 PM

Jul 2007
Battle Angel Allita. I watched the first 15 mins of the anime and couldn't stand it. Battle Angel Allita's is one of my favorite mangas and I think the anime was just bad.

Going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.
Sep 18, 2007 6:34 PM
Jun 2007
Claymore, Death Note, Trigun, Berser, Get backers and Hellsing

Trevor (OP)
Sep 19, 2007 5:54 AM

Aug 2006
Tenjo Tenge **barf**
Sep 19, 2007 10:42 AM

Jun 2007
Black cat
Sep 20, 2007 3:30 PM

Mar 2007
Naruto. All those fillers, ugh.
Sep 20, 2007 3:35 PM

Nov 2004
D. GRAY-MAN. T___T
Sep 20, 2007 4:51 PM
Sep 2007
accela said:
Tsubasa Chronicles

Dear lord.

Definitely. I really dislike the Tsubasa anime- no way it compares to the manga, and the animation kills me but hey, that's just my opinion.
Sep 22, 2007 6:57 PM
Jul 2007
Gantz
Sep 23, 2007 2:02 PM

Aug 2007
tsubasa chronicles.
Sep 23, 2007 2:26 PM

Aug 2007
Love hina, and I haven't even read the manga.. x_x

Thanks De-Jay for my claim picture : ).
Oct 7, 2007 4:49 PM

Sep 2007
you know i have thought about this before, i always thought when i read Chobits that i enjoyed it so much as a manga that i didnt gain much joy from the anime.

But then again maybe those who havent read the manga would enjoy just seeing the anime, i often think that with a view, i guess thats true with alot of things in the world like novels, you get such beautiful attention to detail in manga and novels that sometimes when u see them on the screen they seem empty.

Oct 8, 2007 2:06 AM

Sep 2007
D.Gray-man; dear lord where did the plot go...?

And Death Note was an awsome anime.
Oct 8, 2007 1:30 PM

Sep 2007
CriMsoNGenoCidE said:
And Death Note was an awsome anime.

QFT. the anime > the manga, especially in the second half.

Hmm... let's see, the Hellsing anime was terrible compared to what I've read of the manga. The OVA is at least as good as the manga, though.

Trigun's manga is much better than the anime, although I liked the anime, too. Same goes for Berserk.
Oct 10, 2007 10:25 AM

Sep 2007
Pita-ten
I didn't like the anime at all.. so many fillers...
The manga was very emotional! I loved it!

I claimed Kasumi (Misty) (by Vertago)

(made by AngelLily)
Oct 10, 2007 1:35 PM

Oct 2007
well i dont really mind sometimes when the anime strays from the manga. as long as its entertaining... but... some animes are just unbearable when they're based on great manga

accela said:
Tsubasa Chronicles

Dear lord.

oh, and holic... and chobits. and nana. i couldnt stand any of those after the first episode. i actually havent read x yet so i love the anime, but after reading a few random volumes i think i would appreciate the manga so much more.

naruto. fillers = death
Rave. the manga was so good... the anime was just so corny and bad.... in both english and japanese.
love hina: TERRIBLE anime for such a GOOD manga D=
Oct 15, 2007 5:39 AM

Aug 2007
Air Gear.
It's such an awesome series, but the Anime is just.. well... nothing good at all. It really ruins the series. The manga is so detailed and contains such a great plot. The anime stops because the story is getting interesting. v__v
Oct 15, 2007 1:13 PM

Feb 2005
Claymore.
The anime was great at the start, when it followed the manga. When it went all it's own way however, it turned bad. Quite bad.
Oct 15, 2007 1:30 PM

Jun 2007
Tokyo Babylon and RG Veda! the OVAs were horrible
Dec 11, 2007 11:43 PM
Jul 2018
gah... tons and tons of stuff -.-

anything from Oh!Great. his style is such a large part of the manga's appeal that an anime version just doesn't do it.

at this point, I'm saying anything from takehiko inoue. slam dunk's anime was so bad compared to the manga. buzzer beater was a total disgrace. if they do an adaption of vagabond I think I will shed man-tears of blood.

at this point, I'm also going to say anything from ken akamatsu. love hina's anime version was miles off from the manga even with all the specials. negima's anime versions have all been god awful (not that the original is amazing either -.-).

Naruto, Bleach, D.Gray man. of the major jump-based shounens right now, only One Piece's anime is satisfactory.

GTO also. what a horrible ending.
Dec 12, 2007 12:06 AM
Nov 2007
Naruto
Bleach
D.Gray-man
One Piece

Horrible.
Dec 12, 2007 1:27 AM

Sep 2007
Narutaru. I'm glad they did right with bokurano...
Dec 12, 2007 1:37 AM

Dec 2007
sophea said:

I honestly thought that the Yakitate!! Japan anime was pretty good. For me, I think it would probably have to be Hoshin Engi. I loved the manga but the anime version just plain sucked.

Holy crap! This was the FIRST thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. Who would've thought anyone else had actually read this manga? Anyway, yeah. The manga had a great plot that was unnecessarily screwed up because the anime had to fit in 26 episodes. Say what you want about long-running series, but at least they get a chance to get their plots animated.

This thread applies to any manga with an anime that got cut short. A few more manga come to mind in this case, but the only other one that deserves to also be mentioned (and probably won't come up in someone else's post) is Video Girl Ai. Damn that one pisses me off. First romance series I like and the anime is just a lame six episode OVA. Uncool.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Dec 12, 2007 2:32 AM
Jul 2018
SageShinigami said:
sophea said:

Holy crap! This was the FIRST thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. Who would've thought anyone else had actually read this manga? Anyway, yeah. The manga had a great plot that was unnecessarily screwed up because the anime had to fit in 26 episodes. Say what you want about long-running series, but at least they get a chance to get their plots animated.

This thread applies to any manga with an anime that got cut short. A few more manga come to mind in this case, but the only other one that deserves to also be mentioned (and probably won't come up in someone else's post) is Video Girl Ai. Damn that one pisses me off. First romance series I like and the anime is just a lame six episode OVA. Uncool.

I'll agree with those two, also. those were two of my favorite manga, too. video girl ai even had a live-action version that was totally horrible.

Another work from Masakazu Katsura is I"S. they even had 2 tries to get that right and failed hard both times. I just pray they leave Zetman alone.
Dec 12, 2007 6:50 AM

Dec 2007
Hm. Video Girl Ai had a live-action version? *looks this up* Gah. A movie. Disgusting. Even a 26 episode anime would be better...
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Dec 12, 2007 10:13 AM
Nov 2007
I second Love Hina. I have both the manga and animé box set, and find the manga to be a lot better. So much so that I will probably not even finish watching the animé, and stick to the manga.

And I've heard Chobits' manga is a hell of a lot better than the animé, though never having read the manga I couldn't say, but I do like the animé. Not one of my favourites though.

Death Note is a great manga, and I can't wait to get the animé... I think it's perfectly suited to be an animé. Though I've heard quite a lot of the explanation is cut out of it... not that that's a bad thing. In the later volumes of the manga, I felt there was sometimes a bit more explanation than was needed.
Dec 12, 2007 11:04 AM
Aug 2007
Definetly Tsubasa and Rave Master, and Naruto too.

Although I do prefer the Getbackers anime over the manga. :3
Dec 12, 2007 12:13 PM

Aug 2007
Ugh, Tsubasa. Seriously, the anime was terrible with poor pacing and mediocre animation and fillers.
The OAD, however, was amazing.

Also Full Moon o Sagashite and D.Gray-man for the same reasons.
butts
Dec 12, 2007 2:41 PM

Oct 2007
AdrNam said:
And I've heard Chobits' manga is a hell of a lot better than the animé, though never having read the manga I couldn't say, but I do like the animé. Not one of my favourites though.
I think the chobits manga is amazing... and i couldn't even sit through the first episode of the anime... so yeah, i think its MUCH better. (same with tsubasa. anime = disgrace to the manga) though ive already mentioned that before.

oh, and i agree about RAVE. it was a terrible anime D=
katsupDec 12, 2007 2:45 PM
Dec 12, 2007 2:56 PM
Aug 2007
I also have to agree about Chobits. I couldn't watch even five minutes of the first episode: I was like "WHAT. FARM? I DON'T GET IT. NOT IN MANGA" and turned it off. XD
Dec 13, 2007 4:47 AM

Dec 2007
Haven't read much manga, but imo, Love Hina should just stay as a manga. Can't say taht I liked the anime. It was so...I don't know how I can say it, but I just didn't like it. >.<.
Dec 13, 2007 5:20 AM
Nov 2007
the_seventh_l said:
I also have to agree about Chobits. I couldn't watch even five minutes of the first episode: I was like "WHAT. FARM? I DON'T GET IT. NOT IN MANGA" and turned it off. XD

If you expect anime adaptations to be 100% similar to manga, you probably shouldn't watch any anime based on a manga.
Dec 13, 2007 10:05 AM
Aug 2007
True, but I never seem to learn.
Dec 13, 2007 10:22 AM

Oct 2007
i dont mind anime based on manga...but for some reason i find some of the adaptations terrible.... like in chobits, the opening theme makes my ears bleed and i really couldnt stand listening to chii's voice for more than 10 minutes.... XD i dunno, the anime really just threw me off.
Dec 13, 2007 11:03 AM

Jul 2007
Negima

Three attempts already, and they STILL haven't gotten it right ><
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Dec 13, 2007 5:13 PM

May 2007
I normally don't mind anime based on manga, like with Naruto. Sure I knew what was going to happen in every arc, but it was great to have a voice to the characters and to see them move on screen. However there are some manga that should stay manga, Fullmetal Alchemist was one.

Don't get me wrong, the series is great, it's funny and dramatic and deep and has a great ending. But once I picked up the manga and started reading it, the show just lost all it's power. The manga was ten times better, different story and it just flowed WAY better. In the anime a lot of the things felt like they didn't fit together, but I don't have that problem with the manga. So I wish FMA had just stayed a manga, or the anime had been accurate to the manga (I know not possible just a dream, don't yell at me)
I hate World of Warcraft

Dec 14, 2007 1:16 PM

Dec 2007
gigimxul said:
the_seventh_l said:

If you expect anime adaptations to be 100% similar to manga, you probably shouldn't watch any anime based on a manga.

I don't know...contrary to what most people here say, I think most shonen series get decent adaptations. ....Aside from that though, yeah...shows usually get screwed, which is a bit ridiculous IMO.
Dec 15, 2007 7:13 AM

Nov 2007
Tactics and E's. Pretty good mangas turned into terrible animes. Tactics added a random and completely useless character (Suzu) and then manipulated the plot something awful to fit her in everywhere. E's... well, besides the fact that at least half of the (short) series was ridiculous filler, they dumbed down the storyline - took out all the blood, deaths, underground ring of psychic children fighting each other... I could go on and on. Really terrible.
Dec 17, 2007 5:09 PM

Nov 2007
Samurai Deeper Kyo. I read the manga after I watched the anime and I still thought the manga was better.
Dec 19, 2007 3:17 AM

Jul 2007
Aikoh said:
Samurai Deeper Kyo. I read the manga after I watched the anime and I still thought the manga was better.

Couldn't agree more... And I would like to add DN Angel to my list... The anime was alright but it was way too short (26 ep) to fit all that was revealed in the manga.
If the anime was made into a 48 or 52 ep show it would have been a lot better cause they'd have more room.... The anime had a lot of gaps in the character development due to the large story in such a short show.

Which is too bad cause the manga is awesome!
Pages (18) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

18 by Chuckiemuffin »»
1 hour ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1042 by codelyok13 »»
4 hours ago

» I need help finding a manga that I have forgotten

codelyok13 - 4 hours ago

0 by codelyok13 »»
4 hours ago

» Do you ever skim through your Manga?

zaganGao - Jan 23

26 by Zimmu »»
Today, 8:38 AM

» Top 10 most iconic manga creators objectively ranked

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 15

22 by Lucifrost »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.