Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2012 12:37 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So, Anne has spent her life being stuck "second fiddle" to other children and probably not really loved and yet she showed no dislike for the people who have cared for her and thinks that they wanted to care for her but weren't entirely able to given the circumstances. I think this explains her loud and talkative demeanor, probably something developed as a means to cry out for attention.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 18, 2012 8:58 AM

Sep 2008
/\ yep, that's what I thought as well, her character is so well fleshed out and makes perfect sense with her background story.

That scene when Anne jumps downs from the carriage and sits on the log is one of the most profoundly effective scenes I have seen in anime. She just sits and looks on, as clouds roll pass, the wind blows gently, and Ms Mathew just sits quietly in the carriage watching her, and waiting. Then she sits up, walks back and apologizes as she seats herself in the carriage. Beautiful.

This could only be pulled off by someone who understands and loves parallel/art cinema, and Isao Takahata is the finest example of a parallel cinema auteur in anime.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Dec 18, 2012 3:26 PM

Sep 2009
insan3soldiern said:
probably something developed as a means to cry out for attention.

Hmm, this is a possibility, though I wouldn't put Anne's talkativeness as a "mean to cry out for attention", but simply the manifestation of her imagination through words, imagination which was cultivated by reading countless stories and that provided her with the flowery vocabulary and knowledge used in her over-romanticized speeches. Although this might sound a little bit too cliché, Anne, being a very social being with a feverish thirst for the romantic, does genuinely enjoy a lot interacting with other people and sharing with them her thoughts and daily discoveries, but she isn't the kind of person to be desperate for social contact. So it's not really a result of a need for attention, but simply of the way she is.

eyerok said:
That scene when Anne jumps downs from the carriage and sits on the log is one of the most profoundly effective scenes I have seen in anime.

That sequence was indeed a great touch by Takahata and as a matter of fact, wasn't originally in the book. It was a very introspective moment where Anne tries to calm herself down after being once again confronted with the crude reality. A melancholy moment of silence that is very evocative and intimate, and completely devoid of any sort of melodrama. Another instance that I found to be moving, but that isn't exclusive to the anime, was when Anne went silent after revealing some of her unfortunate past to Marilla, as she took a deep breath and didn't utter a single word for a while. It gives an idea of how the tribulations that Anne went through during her childhood still affect even in her present days.
ariapalDec 18, 2012 3:40 PM
Dec 18, 2012 4:00 PM

Jun 2009
Parial said:
insan3soldiern said:
probably something developed as a means to cry out for attention.

Hmm, this is a possibility, though I wouldn't put Anne's talkativeness as a "mean to cry out for attention", but simply the manifestation of her imagination through words, imagination which was cultivated by reading countless stories and that provided her with the flowery vocabulary and knowledge used in her over-romanticized speeches. Although this might sound a little bit too cliché, Anne, being a very social being with a feverish thirst for the romantic, does genuinely enjoy a lot interacting with other people and sharing with them her thoughts and daily discoveries, but she isn't the kind of person to be desperate for social contact. So it's not really a result of a need for attention, but simply of the way she is.

What I mean is that Anne, as a young child, developed this loud, talkative, imaginative persona as a means to deal with a loneliness she obviously had to feel and there is no way I can believe a child in the position she was in could not be lonely. In fact, her reading all those books (which of course played a role in shaping her personality as well) and growing to enjoy interacting with people is probably an extension of that.

But, as she is at this point in the series, it just became a part of her and I don't think she's "crying out for attention" anymore. But, yeah, I think "loneliness" had a role in her development up to this point...she just dealt with it in a positive way. But, then again, since she obviously wants the Cuthbert's to take her in so she does want attention in that she wants someone to actually take care of her.

Also, I of course haven't seen Konichiwa Anne...so I could be way off for all I know. This is just my impression from what I know based on this.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 29, 2016 11:13 PM

Jun 2013
Poor baby, can i just give her a hug?
Apr 20, 2020 2:09 PM

Feb 2020
Okay this almost made me cry... Poor little thing. This backstory definitely puts her behavior in a whole new perspective. She is such an endearing character, it's so easy to feel for her.
I hope things will get better for her soon... I'm sure Marilla will ultimately take her back.
Speaking of Marilla, I definitely judged her too quickly. She isn't a bad person, just a bit harsh... The characters in this show feel so human, I love it.
Dec 16, 2021 7:36 AM

Aug 2020
Well, that backstory puts a perspective on Anne's character.

All she can do is imagine. To magine to cope with her loneliness. To imagine for a future she just might get.

I'm not fully appreciative of this series. I will keep the show on hold and continue in the future.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 16 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jun 24, 2012

13 by RedSwordHeart »»
Dec 21, 2023 3:57 AM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jun 21, 2012

5 by Dumb »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:13 AM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 2 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jan 21, 2012

8 by Dumb »»
Nov 22, 2023 1:31 AM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 1 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jan 21, 2012

28 by Dumb »»
Nov 21, 2023 8:46 PM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 47 Discussion

stand - Sep 2, 2015

15 by cornonacob »»
Sep 26, 2023 3:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.