Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 30, 2017 3:29 PM

Nov 2016
Decent start, visuals are pretty good and the uniforms too...

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 4, 2017 3:02 PM

Oct 2015
Great lightning kick to Kashiwara I guess hard work does pay off as always and jealousy pays you shit.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 12, 2018 1:15 PM
Dec 2014
This show starts AWESOME 1980s montage coach with giant sunglasses (god I wish I could pull of that look even half as cool) cute girls and last but not least GIANT MECHS.

Unbelievable, I should have watched this show years ago. But the mongrel modern anime community has buried this show. But I will find all those classics even if it kills me!
Feb 16, 2018 4:36 PM

Sep 2013
Awesome, classic 80s anime! I loved it's campiness and just plain 80s coolness.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 24, 2018 6:59 PM

Aug 2016
I think this was a pretty enjoyable first episode, yet felt rushed. Could have been developed in 2 episodes to explain some stuff better.

I also can see so much of the early spirit of old Gainax that later developed into other classic series + their Trigger legacy wich leads to how some characters from LWA were made: Ako is partially an updated version of Noriko just to start.

Good stuff. Great music. Impressive animation. Fun fights!
MichaelJacksonFeb 24, 2018 7:04 PM
:v
Oct 23, 2018 4:19 PM

Oct 2014
Lmao that was really ridiculous but oddly motivating too..
Nov 16, 2018 8:11 AM

Apr 2014
This is so cheesy I love it
Mar 10, 2019 11:00 PM
Jul 2018
Pretty bad. Everything feels basic and unoriginal and the cheese is unmeasurable. They're off to space so I guess I'll see what comes next.
removed-userMar 19, 2019 5:34 PM
Mar 25, 2019 11:27 PM
Oct 2018
Maybe I was expecting too much because this series is hyped so much, but this ep was pretty disappointing tbh. I'm a big fan of Anno- love NGE and even had a higher opinion of Abenobashi than most, and a lot of what I watch is stuff from the 80s and 90s (or earlier), but even for the era, this was cringey and played-out (actually it looks about 5 years earlier than it's actual age, IMO. Nausica, Urusei Yatsura 2, and Birth, which Anno himself worked on, came out 4 years before TwN, but look far less dated and cheesy).

It's only 6 eps, so I'll see it through anyway, and maybe it will pick up, but at this point I was unimpressed by pretty much all aspects of the show; the animation and art were average at best, the dialogue was terrible and the story was dopey, almost-but-not-quite to the point of satire. I can see the "so bad it's good" appeal of the dumb training montage, or the mechs do push-ups, or the girl that goes from being completely useless, to yelling attack names and delivering devastating finishing moves in literally two or three seconds, but I was kind of expecting something actually good from TwN.

(And if people want to rationalize that tick-a-box use of bad cliches as "deconstructing the tropes of the genre", that's fine, but at this stage it just looks like exceptionally bad, lazy writing)
May 3, 2019 3:06 AM

Aug 2017
That was a very enjoyable episode for me. I instantly fell in love with character designs and moments like Noriko's training, the depiction of bullying etc. But the most surprising moment for me was Norio Wakamoto as Oota's seiyu! Coincidentally, I'm watching Gunbuster right after Legend of the Galactic Heroes, where Wakamoto shined as Oskar von Reuenthal, and now he strikes with his brilliant voice again!

Oh, and boob physics was pretty amazing, too
St0rmbladeMay 3, 2019 3:12 AM
Jun 12, 2019 11:34 AM

Jul 2008
This first episode is copy-paste of 70s shoujo anime Ace wo Nerae! (its even in the name Top wo Nerae!), but with mecha and outfits that appeal to boys. Having mechas train like school girls and hearing the voice of school girls with the visual of giant robots fighting is part of the comedy.
Jul 9, 2019 1:30 PM
Apr 2018
It's so cheesy and over the top that I burst out laughing a couple times. Can't say I'm not entertained though.
Nov 20, 2019 1:34 PM

Jun 2015
lol what are those uniforms
Plot armor was strong here, albeit with all of that training. But let's see Noriko surprise us.
Jun 26, 2020 7:20 PM
Jan 2020
A bit cheesy at points, but overall a super fun first episode. Will definitely keep watching.
Jul 13, 2020 1:33 AM
Jul 2018
why do robots need to do push ups and jumps -_-
Aug 27, 2020 1:59 PM

Feb 2020
Felt like watching some classic today !
But to be honest, this first episode didn't really live up to my expectations.
It wasn't boring despite being almost 30 minutes long so there's at least that, bht I feel like everything's going too fast and the show didn't take time to really introduce Noriko as a person.
It's just the first episode so I'll wait and see but I hope this issue will be solved.
This show still has the charm a lot of oldschool shows have, I really like that, especially when it comes to the characters' expressions.
Sep 29, 2020 12:31 PM

Feb 2012
I can definitely see the roots of Akko and Lotte in Noriko and Kimiko, respectively.

A klutz student who's glasses-adorned teacher sees potential in.

Love that it mixes Real Robot and Super Robot; these are cadets mainly preparing to pilot mass produced weapons of war but then has the robots actually do pushups and situps, hilarious.

2023 rewatch in dub
Fortress_MaximusAug 19, 2023 7:15 AM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Nov 30, 2020 4:09 AM

Jun 2016
I like a good underdog story, but I fail to see and understand how the coach was able to identify talent. Maybe he has a third eye in his cane, for talent finding or something.

Jul 21, 2021 10:50 PM

Sep 2015
Well, can't decode if this was a blatant plagiarism of Ace wo Nerae! or just a parody or "tribute", because the entire episode was exactly as the first part of that anime. Hope that from the next episode becomes its own thing.
Nov 1, 2021 8:42 AM

Aug 2018
This feels like a massive product of its time that doesn't really take itself too seriously and I love it for that
_______I like rocks__
Mar 24, 2022 9:00 PM

Feb 2021
don't know what to say about the first 5ish minutes but it set up for some pretty good exposition later. The only thing I'm finding hard to tolerate are the graphics, for fuck's sake they haven't aged well
Apr 17, 2022 11:04 AM

Dec 2021
Lol at the mecha doing push-ups. Very enjoyable vibes and visually it doesn't look like an 80s anime at all, it look more from the 90s
Aug 26, 2022 5:22 AM

Jun 2020
Okay ep. Average. Full of stereotypes and tropes. Only thing special about it is the aesthetics, wonderful animation, and the OST - especially that fucking banger of an opening. I heard good things about it so I hope it gets better.
Monkey_BusinessAug 26, 2022 5:28 AM

Jan 30, 2023 4:12 PM

Aug 2022
I don't think I have ever seen a motivational working out montage of a mech suit before, definitely a first haha.

I'm almost sad that the other episodes will be in space, we are going to be missing out on a bunch of beautifully drawn beaches and sunsets ;_;

Sep 26, 2023 8:51 AM

Mar 2022
Gunbuster, yet another anime from Gainax but a much shorter series than either Evangelion or Gurren Lagaan. I can tell it’s a vintage anime just from the animation and character designs alone. So much so that I just all up for that 80s aesthetic. The coach is a badass, not only because he looks cool looking with the scar on one eye and the cane but also the fact that he was a survivor of the attack at the beginning. It is a show that doesn’t really take itself seriously because giant robots doing pushups in a playground. Need I say more? XD

It’s a great start, builds up the setting and main cast nicely so I’m honestly keen on watching more of this.
Oct 7, 2023 3:25 AM

Dec 2012
Watashi no Papa. Takaya Noriko.
December 20, 2015.
Oh snap! He died.
Dat date.
Space monsters?
Noriko will become a space pilot.
Mecha's doing push up's?
A girl is watching.
Kimiko.
200!
Onee-sama.
Onee-sama comes out.
Noriko.
Oota da! Dat voice! Norio!!!!!!

Good start. Today is October 7th. Happy 35th anniversary to Gunbuster. This is my first watch. The amount of times I've seen this series through small clips or images starting from the 2000's and I had no interest to watch it despite my love for mecha and knowing Anno worked on this, plus the fact that this series is well known... It's crazy that I waited this long. I saw that the 35th anniversary date was coming and marked my calendar. With that said... OP and ED are good. Funny how Noriko is voiced by Noriko and the OP/ED is by Noriko. Noriko masterrace. It's crazy that within the 1st minute, the story is connected to me personally. This is fate. I was meant to watch this. Noriko is so cute when she makes that sad look with her eyes. Dat gym uniform is FIYA!!!! Seeing the mecha do push up was a surprise. I laughed. Seeing Kashihara's facial expressions during the battle makes me miss 80's and 90's anime so much. You don't see that much or at all in this era of anime.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Dec 16, 2023 10:54 PM

Jun 2021
I like it, the mc too, this late 80's animation is really something for classic mecha stories, now GO TO SLEEP ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ (the joke is that i'm pressing with my head the keyboard)
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Dec 30, 2023 4:42 AM
Dec 2023
Kmon guys, It gave us the boobie bounce! if that isn't enough to convince then i don't know what will.
Mar 3, 11:18 AM
May 2023
It felt a bit too rushed, like I skimmed through an entire first arc on triple speed and still missed half the plot development. It's nice, but I hope future episodes hold their horses a bit more.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

69 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 18, 5:56 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MK - Aug 10, 2008

192 by jal90 »»
Feb 4, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ston3_FreeN7 - Aug 19, 2009

77 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 19, 2023 9:21 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

67 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 19, 2023 8:44 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

60 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 17, 2023 10:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.