Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 17, 2012 8:07 AM

Oct 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode of AKB pushed itself nicely with the concert in the beginning and some nice interactions from 76th/77th generations but also from the older girls whom are successors. It nicely turns out into many formats from comedic to dramatic. However damn shit got serious at the end of this episode. Especially since at first it all went nicely. The sortie and start in the spoiler
Takamina was so enthusiastic and aggressive there but it turns out suddenly really ugly. It boils down to Takamina in the following,

Holy shit! Blood? O_O Hurt? Grrrrrr, that’s not good to my eyes seeing all those bruises in the spoiler
of Takamina.
Trully a painful sight not to mention dramatically well done. I feel :(

Yuuko and Kanata are really worried sick. That is so obvious in the spoiler
Kanata being much more painful from her reactions and Yuuko damn well cringes her own anger for all the shit that fell upon Takamina. The hospital bed scene shows that nicely.

Truly the end of the episode leaves one with worrisome elements over Takamina. Those scars! That blood! Grrrrrr nothing but RAGE over them. Still proud of Chieri for her nice performance along with the other girls. The lights, SFX and setup were splendid. Might edit later.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jun 17, 2012 9:02 AM
Mar 2012
OMFG...I watched this just because of AKB but this is really becoming one of my favorite anime of the season, and I tried to watch almost all anime airing ...The drama of this ep really drew me in...;A;
Especially the scenes with Takamina and her fear of being replace. Also the Chieri and Nagisa interaction was cute too :3
It seem like they really got closer lol. Chieri doesn't seem as cold as before. And Suzuko way to deal with the 76th gen trainees was funny XD Channeling Ichikawa Miori famous headbutt? lol

I can't blame the 76th gen for being annoy tho it's kinda their fault for not taking the initiative to practice more. Also Kanata is really the successor of Takahashi Minami...in leadership and in horrible taste in clothes :|

I haven't seen the sub and my japanese isn't that good so I'll wait but I feel like the DES scene was kinda forced drama. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it and Mari Okada is known for her dramatic script, but I kinda want a reason for why the ship showed up...unless they got like a tracking chip on AKB and was expecting them to show up. I guess it make more sense to go with the 2nd guess since the peace conference seem like big news and AKB0048 probably make it publicly that they're coming.

Also it's clear that AKB0048 weapons are mainly no fatal since they used the bubble wrap thing against DES most of the time while DES use actual bullets.

----------

I honestly think this anime is underrated. I mean yes there's pretty some WTF lulzy moment but if people can put up with Kawamori's Macross craziness or his robots running on orgasm in Aquarion, IDK why they can't enjoy this. This is more entertaining than this season favorite anime.......tho I enjoy the amazing technically and artwork, but the storyline just don't draw me in, while this show have alot of entertaining moments.

IDK....considering the storyline is kinda shoujo-ish mix with shounen that is more storyline and character focus...Maybe they need more moe shit and show more boobies to get more attention?....<___< Or maybe people just make quick judgement because this is a storyline about singing idols based on a real group?

------------

anyway song inserts are all old songs in the past ep.

Aitakatta (still singing a 2006 song, thousand of yrs into the future huh?~ :P) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB8hk3vRCz4

Beginner http://vid48.com/watch_video.php?v=9H57KYAMR8DO

Oogoe Diamond - song the 76th trainee was singing

akbfanJun 17, 2012 9:31 AM
Jun 17, 2012 10:30 AM

Oct 2010
akbfan said:
And Suzuko way to deal with the 76th gen trainees was funny XD Channeling Ichikawa Miori famous headbutt? lol

I ROFL so hard at this video. Yeah OUCH! That really does hurt. She must have a strong head to do this. WOW! It's all I will say.
akbfan said:
I haven't seen the sub and my japanese isn't that good so I'll wait but I feel like the DES scene was kinda forced drama. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it and Mari Okada is known for her dramatic script, but I kinda want a reason for why the ship showed up...unless they got like a tracking chip on AKB and was expecting them to show up. I guess it make more sense to go with the 2nd guess since the peace conference seem like big news and AKB0048 probably make it publicly that they're coming.
It's obvious it's something of Chieri. Perhaps some chips inside of her inserted of injected? Maybe some form of tracking device for sure. There would be no other explanation as to why they suddenly appear here and there. Especially while Chieri is out on the open.
akbfan said:
IDK....considering the storyline is kinda shoujo-ish mix with shounen that is more storyline and character focus...Maybe they need more moe shit and show more boobies to get more attention?....<___< Or maybe people just make quick judgement because this is a storyline about singing idols based on a real group?
Nah, I think what they outputted in fan service is enough itself. However I think more of it will come from the OP elements.

Furthermore from your explanation of the censored bloody video, I can see as of this episode SHIT HITS THE FANS with loads of blood/injuries possible becoming more and more of a real possibility within this series. Perhaps they may show us what happens when a Idol dies and Kirara relation. What does it imply? IMO I hope for no death in this series but it might undeniable that it could happen with this episode being a close one.

So I think that the series is doing mighty fine with the element mixture.

Jun 17, 2012 11:09 AM
Mar 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
Nah, I think what they outputted in fan service is enough itself. However I think more of it will come from the OP elements.

Not really. I mean if you compare it to the other show this season like Tasogare, there's really not that much fanservice, and when there is, it's really limited and not that sexual at all. I guess it depend on what people interpret as "fanservice." Showing some skins might be consider fanservice to others but so far, I don't see it put across in a blatantly or excessively sexual. The girls outfits aren't really that sexual either and is more cute than anything.
Jun 17, 2012 11:11 AM

Oct 2010
akbfan said:
Yumekichi11 said:

Not really. I mean if you compare it to the other show this season like Tasogare, there's really not that much fanservice, and when there is, it's really limited and not that sexual at all. I guess it depend on what people interpret as "fanservice." Showing some skins might be consider fanservice to others but so far, I don't see it put across in a blatantly or excessively sexual. The girls outfits aren't really that sexual either and is more cute than anything.
Yeah that was my point. The amount and exposure level is fine enough for this series and they should keep it like that. Concentrating more on other elements should be primordial as priority. Just saying there is one part of the OP that shows some that was not shown yet.

Jun 17, 2012 11:22 AM
Mar 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
akbfan said:
Yumekichi11 said:

Yeah that was my point. The amount and exposure level is fine enough for this series and they should keep it like that. Concentrating more on other elements should be primordial as priority. Just saying there is one part of the OP that shows some that was not shown yet.

Oh Idk if you get my sarcasm in the original post but I was implying if this anime was more moe or fanservicy, people will probably watch it more which is kinda of annoying...

I don't want AKB0048 to got that way.
Jun 17, 2012 1:37 PM

Oct 2010
akbfan said:
Yumekichi11 said:
akbfan said:
Yumekichi11 said:

Oh Idk if you get my sarcasm in the original post but I was implying if this anime was more moe or fanservicy, people will probably watch it more which is kinda of annoying...

I don't want AKB0048 to got that way.
Oh then, I did not pick up your sarcasm. Since I do now, then I would agree with it.

Jun 18, 2012 12:09 AM

Aug 2010
I thought the series would focus mostly on Nagisa and Chieri. It is nice to see Kanata getting some good chunk of the story, though.
Jun 18, 2012 12:28 AM

Oct 2011
In topic of CGI:
Kill it! KILL IT WITH FIRE!
this is still weakerst part of this show - like they couldn't pay those guys who are working with Precure to do something that doesn't look as eternal abomination

But what a lovelly climate they have there :P but Sonata to the rescue! she could take all DES forces with toothpick and umbrella - yet that scene in the train was... it felt wasted or rushed
and last battle, I like how it was made, explosions, rays of light and such were nice. That angsty part after it was ok, not the best but fine (BTW why couldn't they simply send more battleships to crush that AKB ship? It's easier and cheaper I think + naming of planets, I love)

I still can't gest used to Suzuko's voice
Jun 18, 2012 2:48 AM

Jun 2007
I seriously hope Takamina doesn't end up dying, or any of the other senbatsu members. I'm getting pretty attached to them.

Also, felt kind of sorry for the 76th gens, since they are mostly just there to fill in the gap between the 75th and 77th. With the 77th gens being the protagonists of this anime (with Kanata and Mimori) they are pretty much going to stay jealous kenkyuuseis.
Jun 18, 2012 3:54 AM

Aug 2011
I have nothing against Takamina, but they're introducing way too many characters and focusing on them way too much. They haven't even spent any time with Suzuko or Makoto (even though I don't really like either of them, but I might if they got some development; Suzuko is annoying). Orine and Yuuka are due for some more characterization as well.

Sonata's voice is extremely annoying. Probably because it's the stereotypical loli voice.

Also, WAY TOO LITTLE NAGISA SCREEN TIME. Fuck. More Nagisa, less everyone else.

The space battle was actually pretty cool. It was a lot smoother and more exciting than a lot of other mecha out there (*cough* Gundam *cough*). Got some actual blood out of it. I was excited... don't know about you.

Narrow down the focus of characters to the mains and it'll be a lot better off.
Jun 18, 2012 4:14 AM
Mar 2012
DraconisMarch said:
I have nothing against Takamina, but they're introducing way too many characters and focusing on them way too much. They haven't even spent any time with Suzuko or Makoto (even though I don't really like either of them, but I might if they got some development; Suzuko is annoying). Orine and Yuuka are due for some more characterization as well.

Sonata's voice is extremely annoying. Probably because it's the stereotypical loli voice.

Also, WAY TOO LITTLE NAGISA SCREEN TIME. Fuck. More Nagisa, less everyone else.

The space battle was actually pretty cool. It was a lot smoother and more exciting than a lot of other mecha out there (*cough* Gundam *cough*). Got some actual blood out of it. I was excited... don't know about you.

...Sonata is 10. She is a loli :|

And there's 17 characters in total..9 main and 8 supports. Pretty hard to give even screentime. I think Okada is doing a good job as it is. Since Suzuko and Makoto and other characters don't seem like the main considering the OP sequence, their development will probably come later...or very minimal. Nagisa, Chieri, and Kanata is the main focus of this show that get higher priority, but agree on other girls need development too. Yuka thing might have to do with her boyfriend.
Jun 18, 2012 4:25 AM

May 2010
I'm glad that Takamina survived but I do hope she get over her problem
Jun 18, 2012 7:27 AM

May 2011
I just can't get enough of the drama in this series. Taking on the dangers that surround playing on a 100% entertainment ban planet is something to admire, but to go in with DES going all out to put an end to all of 00, that is real heart.

Takamina is still hurting deep from the revelation of the selection process, can't say I blame her, but I hope she gets better soon. Kanata is really starting to grow on me as a member of AKB, she shows so much dedication, I really wish both her and Takamina could be together in these performances. :(

This is shaping up to be in my top three for this season.
Jun 18, 2012 7:27 AM

Dec 2011
Really good words of wisdom from Yuuko at the end. Takamina should care about other but she shouldn't let them get in the way of her dream.
Jun 18, 2012 9:02 AM

May 2012
Such a great episode ~

And it just reminds me why I consider it the best of the season ~

Things are probably going to get much worse soon enough. I can imagine lots of pasts catching up with our beloved understudies.
Jun 18, 2012 11:32 AM

Jan 2011
Amazing episode, it was great to see a battle like that and the drama was great.
This quality of this show is steadily increasing, which is a good thing to see.
Can't wait for the next episode, I always have an urge to watch this first.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jun 18, 2012 12:34 PM

Aug 2011
akbfan said:
...Sonata is 10. She is a loli :|
The majority of the characters are lolis by definition. She's the only one with the super-annoying stereotypical pedobait loli voice.

akbfan said:
And there's 17 characters in total..9 main and 8 supports. Pretty hard to give even screentime. I think Okada is doing a good job as it is. Since Suzuko and Makoto and other characters don't seem like the main considering the OP sequence, their development will probably come later...or very minimal. Nagisa, Chieri, and Kanata is the main focus of this show that get higher priority, but agree on other girls need development too. Yuka thing might have to do with her boyfriend.
The supporting characters shouldn't be getting as much screen time/development as mains; in the cases of Suzuko and Makoto--MAIN characters--supports are actually getting MORE than mains.

Nagisa was painted as the main character in the beginning, but post-episode 3, she rarely gets more than a few lines per episode, which is hugely disappointing, seeing how she's the strongest character in the show. There hasn't been enough dealing with the Nagisa/Chieri dynamic. Also, Yuuka and Orine were also there at the beginning at the concert they saw together, but haven't had any one-on-one interactions with Chieri since, and there definitely need to be some. Those interactions would undoubtedly help the latter, since they need some development anyway.
Jun 18, 2012 12:38 PM

Feb 2012
Another strong episode, I enjoyed the drama but it feels like they are pushing it too hard with Takamina and Kanata after last week's revelation.

Dalek-baka said:
In topic of CGI:
I swear, don't they realize that it looks terrible and during the performance they jumped from CG to normal style for no reason and that happened last week, too.

Dalek-baka said:
I still can't gest used to Suzuko's voice
That's why I fucking hate her.
Jun 18, 2012 12:53 PM
Jul 2009
DraconisMarch said:
Nagisa was painted as the main character in the beginning, but post-episode 3, she rarely gets more than a few lines per episode, which is hugely disappointing, seeing how she's the strongest character in the show.

Nagisa's hardly the "strongest character" in the show. Her characterization is very simple in comparison to say, Kanata and Chieri, who have to deal with the phantoms of their past all the time. That's one of the reasons she doesn't get much screen time: there's only so much they can tell about her!

But she's the protagonist, that much is true, so you can expect her moment will come at some point, probably at the very end of the series.

DraconisMarch said:
There hasn't been enough dealing with the Nagisa/Chieri dynamic. Also, Yuuka and Orine were also there at the beginning at the concert they saw together, but haven't had any one-on-one interactions with Chieri since, and there definitely need to be some. Those interactions would undoubtedly help the latter, since they need some development anyway.

The Nagisa/Chieri dynamic is getting little bits in almost every episode. Their little moment in episode 8 was really cute. At this point it's clear they're very close, and that's enough. The series doesn't need to dwell on that needlessly.

Overall, you shouldn't forget that, unlike most shows with girls-only cast, this series HAS a plot. And sometimes in order to properly move the plot forward the writer needs to focus on supporting characters instead of the main ones. For instance, you can only develop the conflict inherent to the succession system if you focus on the current successors, like Takamina, who is the focus right now.

Will the show focus on Makoto and the other girls to better develop them at some point? Personally, I think that depends on whether the series can get a second season. If they only have 13 episodes to tell the story, then I don't think any of the main characters besides Nagisa Chieri and Kanata will get much special attention form now on. Take that as you will.
1idd0kunJun 18, 2012 1:05 PM
Jun 18, 2012 1:14 PM
Mar 2012
^
Heard that a 2nd season is coming but not official so far. Considering the development and the pace they're going, obviously there need to be a 2nd season to work on the storyline. There's alot of anime lately that's split up in seasons too.

Anyway about Nagisa, her development will come later, she will be the main. There's no doubt about it, other wise they wouldn't make her design so similar to AKB48's ace Maeda Atsuko, even down to their taste in foods.....I feel like her development have to do with Kawamori's tendency to kill off another character in his series, Macross, Aquarion etc. Someone will die that will encourage Nagisa to step up. But right now, they'll focus more on the other main characters and leave Nagisa's development in the 2nd season.

Suzuka, Makoto and the other characters are the main but they're not the most important characters. The 3 real mains is going to have the focus on them the most while the others will develop later but I'm sure it will happen. I already think Okada is doing a good job with such a large cast but that's just me.
Jun 18, 2012 1:32 PM
Jul 2009
Well, the second season isn't confirmed, so I'm not going to assume it is just to make myself feel better about the show.

But even if they've only got 13 episodes to work with, it's still possible to give the series a satisfying final IMO. Yes, a lot of the characters won't get their moments, but as long as the plot is properly laid out....
Jun 18, 2012 2:13 PM

Aug 2011
Best episode so far in my opinion. I loved seeing the three on stage after working so hard. The emotion was great and Yuuko said some pretty inteligent things concerning the girls' dreams and how they conflict. I don't like seeing Takamina in that state and she also ended up hurting Kanata indirectly. The concert at the beginning was my high point. Seeing Kanata, Chieri and Mimori on stage made my day!!!!
Jun 18, 2012 9:32 PM

Apr 2011
They better have a second season planned already because there's so many characters to develop especially Nagisa.

lol at that headbutt.

I'm a bit surprise Sae was one of the 76th gen who got promoted.
MagitoJun 18, 2012 9:39 PM
Jun 19, 2012 9:54 AM
Mar 2012
Anyone want more character development..we might get it next ep.

Jun 19, 2012 10:06 AM

Oct 2010
akbfan said:
Anyone want more character development..we might get it next ep.

Oh what!? They are going to new planet with new clothing and it's winter there? Seems like it. Flashbacks are there so that's good. Action seems to come at one point. Another good thing, not good if more blood on the girls will occur. Idols + Blood never should mix in too much. It does not suit each other.

I will be looking forward to the snow SFX and the atmosphere change to occur with this new episode coming up.

Jun 19, 2012 11:15 AM
Mar 2012
So anyone wondering about 2nd season...

Nothing has been officially announced but Thomas Romain (a french staff member) posted this shortly before the show aired

"The first show should be 13 episodes long and a sequel with as many episodes is planned shorty afterwards (I have no idea if I the right to say this,oh well...)"

However, they finished recording for the first 13 season.

There might be a break time between the season but another season coming up seem possible. It's AKB so I'm not worry about BD sales.
Jun 19, 2012 11:41 AM

Oct 2011
akbfan said:
There might be a break time between the season but another season coming up seem possible. It's AKB so I'm not worry about BD sales.

Not bad, not bad
I will probably import it - it's not the best show but it's entertaining in a positive way :)
and if they would try to deal with all things in those 12 ep it would be not enough time
Jun 19, 2012 11:48 AM

Jul 2008
Zhou said:

Dalek-baka said:
In topic of CGI:
I swear, don't they realize that it looks terrible and during the performance they jumped from CG to normal style for no reason and that happened last week, too.

Actually, I don't mind the CGI at all and I'll rather have that than half assed animation aka a few still shot of character 'dancing' and singing with BGM.

Some people don't get that show got a limited budget. If they animated the concert like you actually want it they would have to cut somewhere else and either everything would get pretty much meh or either we'll have some decent dancing and singing scene at the cost of shitty animation for the rest of the serie.

I think that the CGI are a good alternative as it's much cheaper to do a 3D model dance than a 2D fluid dance. 3D CGI aren't there to be fancy, they are a cheaper alternative to 2D animation and are here to regulate the watching experience as to not have big ups at the cost of big downs.
Jun 19, 2012 12:12 PM
Jul 2009
akbfan said:
Nothing has been officially announced but Thomas Romain (a french staff member) posted this shortly before the show aired

"The first show should be 13 episodes long and a sequel with as many episodes is planned shorty afterwards (I have no idea if I the right to say this,oh well...)"

He posted this way back when the show began airing, but remember in his latest post he said he wasn't sure.

And now we get photos of a recording wrap. I think it's quite possible we won't get a second season.
Jun 19, 2012 12:20 PM
Jun 2012
For whatever reason, the more I watch this series, the more I like Makoto!!! >:p I wonder who she'll succeed?

o_0 I think episode 7 is the first one where I even noticed that there were other girls from a previous generation ... The ghosts of 76th ... :p

Also, w/ each episode I think more about who 77th generation will be succeeding; so far I see Acchan in Nagisa and I don't really see Chieri in anyone besides Sayaka.

Now, for the episode itself, I'd have to disagree with several posters. While I really enjoy the tie-ins this series has to an actual pop group (retro but really cool), I have to say that I feel like the space opera component is a little much. I'm always suprised at the quality of the rendering of both dance sequences and battle scenes, but I feel as though the series gets a little muddled and schitzophrenic w/ what it wants to convey. Do you want to be a sci fi action now too?! Augh! The group needs to have more crew members (non AKB0048 members) if they want to make the space opera aspect of it more believable. Kind of find it weird / empty how the only regular support they really have are the choreographer, manager and Chef Papa ... I know I've seen more for their ship, but I want to see more in terms of all the people that help them get these shows / ships off the ground!

Agree w/ best episode yet, though. :p
Jun 19, 2012 1:45 PM
Mar 2012
^
considering how we have like over 20 characters already, I think they're just limiting the amount of characters to make it less confusing. Some of the main characters barely have screen time in the episode as it is.

1idd0kun said:
akbfan said:

He posted this way back when the show began airing, but remember in his latest post he said he wasn't sure.

And now we get photos of a recording wrap. I think it's quite possible we won't get a second season.

But the pace they're going is way too slow. We need the succession story of each member too or at least half of them too Chieri, Nagisa, and Kanata are the ones mostly being focus now. Nagisa barely get any character development right now despite being the main. If they really end it at 13 eps then this anime would feel really half assed. :\

If they're counting on BD sales then I'm not worry. Anyway I'm hoping for 2nd season so let's wait and see.
Jun 19, 2012 1:57 PM

Oct 2011
TAKAMINAAAAAAAAAAAA ;~; I feel so sorry for her, having to choose between her dream and Kanata's. I don't know who I'm rooting for, I like both of them. When Takamina did that escape pod I thought she was done for!

I'm definitely hoping for a 2nd season, I don't see how they can tie everything up in just 4 more episodes.
Jun 19, 2012 3:09 PM
Jul 2009
akbfan said:
But the pace they're going is way too slow. We need the succession story of each member too or at least half of them too Chieri, Nagisa, and Kanata are the ones mostly being focus now. Nagisa barely get any character development right now despite being the main. If they really end it at 13 eps then this anime would feel really half assed.

This is the blog the picture you posted comes from, right?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/108841554434587390767/posts/58uHxffSgxv

AKB0048最終話アフレコ
終わりましたああああ

This says "After-recording for the final episode of AKB0048 is finished." So, I don't know, it really seems they just wrapped the whole thing...

What can I say. I just hope I'm wrong. I do want a second season too you know.
Jun 19, 2012 6:16 PM
Aug 2011
OMG I ONLY CAME HERE BECAUSE I WANTED TO PUT THIS ANIME ON MY FAVORITES!!!! THE TAKAMINA PLOT POINT WAS BRILLIANT! I mean, most anime I've watched always said to follow one's dreams, but TO ME, this is the first time that anime addresses dreams conflicting with each other, especially between main characters, fighting on the "good" side of the spectrum, rather than one being "good" and another being "evil." IT'S AWESOME BECAUSE I LOVE BOTH KANATA AND TAKAMINA, AND I WANT THE BEST FOR BOTH OF THEM, BUT THEY BOTH WANT THE SAME THING, AND I JUST CAN'T CHOOOOSEEEEE! THIS IS MIND-BLOWING TO MEEEEE! OMG I AM SO BUYING THE DVD'S, PLEASEEEE COME OUT WITH ANOTHER SEASON, I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS SHOW IS GOING TO END SOON :( :( :(!!
Jun 19, 2012 6:29 PM
Aug 2011
The only way we can give them a second season, is by purchasing their merchandise :/
Jun 19, 2012 7:14 PM
Mar 2012
1idd0kun said:
akbfan said:
But the pace they're going is way too slow. We need the succession story of each member too or at least half of them too Chieri, Nagisa, and Kanata are the ones mostly being focus now. Nagisa barely get any character development right now despite being the main. If they really end it at 13 eps then this anime would feel really half assed.

This is the blog the picture you posted comes from, right?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/108841554434587390767/posts/58uHxffSgxv

AKB0048最終話アフレコ
終わりましたああああ

This says "After-recording for the final episode of AKB0048 is finished." So, I don't know, it really seems they just wrapped the whole thing...

What can I say. I just hope I'm wrong. I do want a second season too you know.

yeah lets wait till it's further. Honestly I still don't think they can wrap it up nicely with 4 more eps.

chibola said:
The only way we can give them a second season, is by purchasing their merchandise :/

Just wait for the news~
Honestly tho it's the same with every other anime.....if you want more, buy BDs.
The first volume is pretty cheap actually..around $20.

And just leave it to the Japanese AKB fans....Don't worry about it. If AKB can sell over 1 million of 8 of their CDs, 7 CDs back to back, 3 CDs sold 1 million on the first day and is one of the few Japanese act that can sell over 1 million now, I'm pretty sure fans will meet 10k it need for the anime to get second season especially since Watanabe Mayu is in the voice acting cast. Her fans are made up of alot of children actually. They might be interested in this anime.
akbfanJun 19, 2012 7:31 PM
Jun 19, 2012 7:36 PM

Jul 2008
chibola said:
OMG I ONLY CAME HERE BECAUSE I WANTED TO PUT THIS ANIME ON MY FAVORITES!!!! THE TAKAMINA PLOT POINT WAS BRILLIANT! I mean, most anime I've watched always said to follow one's dreams, but TO ME, this is the first time that anime addresses dreams conflicting with each other, especially between main characters, fighting on the "good" side of the spectrum, rather than one being "good" and another being "evil." IT'S AWESOME BECAUSE I LOVE BOTH KANATA AND TAKAMINA, AND I WANT THE BEST FOR BOTH OF THEM, BUT THEY BOTH WANT THE SAME THING, AND I JUST CAN'T CHOOOOSEEEEE! THIS IS MIND-BLOWING TO MEEEEE! OMG I AM SO BUYING THE DVD'S, PLEASEEEE COME OUT WITH ANOTHER SEASON, I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS SHOW IS GOING TO END SOON :( :( :(!!

Was that sarcastic?
Troll harder or watch more anime, I can't say how many time this theme has been explored but I sure remember it a lot
Jun 20, 2012 8:07 AM

Mar 2010
akbfan said:
OMFG...I watched this just because of AKB but this is really becoming one of my favorite anime of the season, and I tried to watch almost all anime airing ...The drama of this ep really drew me in...;A;

I jumped in for the sheer fun and idiocy of the premise, got a great show in response.

You're not wrong.
Jun 20, 2012 8:47 AM

Mar 2010
DraconisMarch said:

The series is about AKB0048 and their life and struggles generally: not a bunch of "main" girls in a group called AKB0048. Each character with their own problem point has been used to handle and depict particular area or problem of idol life like Orine episode dealt with anti phenomenom and recent episodes deal with the nature of succession and if you should sacrifice your own dreams for those of others.

Closest thing to main characters you have are the Nagisa and Chieri who have got the just amount of screen time their status warrants even in episodes focusing on issues depicted through other cast members. Speaking of which, the reason why Nagisa and Chieri are at the heart of the show is that they in turn depict the core issue about how to be idol and how one should act, as a ruthless competitor or a team player. Thus even their status is explained by show's narrative focus and their role in depicting a point show wants to make, not by their "mc:ness" or that story revolves around them.

0048 is just like Yamato in this sense: what that show always depicted as a main character was the ship and the struggle of its crew as one entity, not the characters themselves (some of whom were more relevant than others of course, just like in 0048).

If you criticize show for focus issues you better know what the focus is in the first place. Given what they're trying to do with the cast and what th show tries to depict the focus has been spot on.

More than that if there's any point you could've criticized the show for introducing too many characters it would've been first two that dumped majority of the cast on viewer's lap one after another. Which in retrospect was completely legit move because the set pieces had to be put in place by the third episode and the focus is on the group itself (over any singular character with others being there for eg. Nagisa and Chieri to play off with).

The "main cast" has been unchanged since episode 4 which brought in 75th generation. Only change is that now we're actually having a look at the successor side of things too because it is relevant and called for by the nature of drama and conflict (succession). Even then the only one to receive strong focus is Takamina because she's the one the drama needs.

Blaming show for introducing "focusing on too many characters" is not justifiable in my eyes. This requires a) misinterpretation of show's focus in general and what it tries to depict and in this specific case b) focus on Takamina is essential.

Takamina's enlargened role is demanded by the succession drama. If it wasn't her it would be some other successor member in her stead but choosing the "captain" makes it more impactful and she has pre-existing link with Kanata whose own character and drama can be depicted with this too. A link that doesn't exist between any other undergraduate and a successor so the choice is all the more obvious.

And just leave it to the Japanese AKB fans....Don't worry about it. If AKB can sell over 1 million of 8 of their CDs, 7 CDs back to back, 3 CDs sold 1 million on the first day and is one of the few Japanese act that can sell over 1 million now, I'm pretty sure fans will meet 10k it need for the anime to get second season especially since Watanabe Mayu is in the voice acting cast. Her fans are made up of alot of children actually. They might be interested in this anime.

The show isn't doing too well in pre-orders despite the low price for the first volume. Some wotas/idol otaku do watch the show and enjoy it but they aren't the type to buy overpriced anime BDs especially when there are countless other way to support your oshimen.

anime otaku on the other hand have reacted very negatively since the moment the show was announced because antipathy for AKB48 runs strong in ota circles. The main buyer base for anime like this rejects it out of hand due to AKB48 connection while it's questionable wota who don't care for anime generally speaking will go buy it in large numbers.

Unless the pre-order charts are lying the show will make the "break even" line but for anything with AKB48 brand on it it is going to flop. I doubt it performs as well as EVOL does and breaking the 10k barrier (though limit for getting sequel is much lower) feels impossible to me right now.

Which has nothing to do with series's quality, of course

As for whether or not 13 episodes are not enough that depends on what their end aim is. If the end point of the show is when Nagisa etc. become members of 0048 in itself and join the battle against no fun police that is enough.

If the show intends to go past that point and culminate in eg. DES getting overthrown all Star Wars style it won't be enough.

I'd presume they've made a fail safe system here. If the sales are moderate they go for the moderate growth story of the girls, if the sales are gerat they go for bigger things.

At this point I suspect they're going for the simpler option.
XardieJun 20, 2012 9:00 AM
Jun 20, 2012 9:01 AM

Oct 2011
akbfan said:

I don't exactly think that this is series suitable for kids... somehow there is that drama, bit dystopian version of future not to mention violence - so I would have doubts to buy it.
On the other side it's similar to Precure to some extent in themes or talking about friendship - so if it can bring loads and loads of money from little girls in one case, it may also work with AKB.
Jun 20, 2012 9:42 AM
Mar 2012
Xardie said:

The show isn't doing too well in pre-orders despite the low price for the first volume. Some wotas/idol otaku do watch the show and enjoy it but they aren't the type to buy overpriced anime BDs especially when there are countless other way to support your oshimen.

anime otaku on the other hand have reacted very negatively since the moment the show was announced because antipathy for AKB48 runs strong in ota circles. The main buyer base for anime like this rejects it out of hand due to AKB48 connection while it's questionable wota who don't care for anime generally speaking will go buy it in large numbers.

I already crossed out support from anime otakus since ep 1...<__<
I honestly was hoping the casual kid fanbase AKB have to buy the BDs rather than the wotas..

Mayuyu have a lot of kid fans that will be interested in this. But then again who know, maybe AKB will push for a giant management when the BD release, with lot of advertisements. I know there's some giant poster at Tower Record already.

Also after looking at the girls schedule, I wonder if they wrapped up already because of schedule conflicts as well. Not that many of these girls have time to record for the next 2, 3 months since Mayuyu is doing NO NAME and have her 2nd single as well and the next couple of months are pretty hectic especially August. That's the reason why this anime started out so late to begin with.
akbfanJun 20, 2012 10:46 AM
Jun 20, 2012 10:51 AM

Mar 2010
akbfan said:

Also after looking at the girls schedule, I wonder if they wrapped up already because of schedule conflicts as well. Not that many of these girls have time to record for the next 2, 3 months since Mayuyu is doing NO NAME and have her 2nd single as well and the next couple of months are pretty hectic especially August. That's the reason why this anime started out so late to begin with.

Really? I thought it was simply case of Satelight's production running late (considering they've been non-stop on four tv series non-stop in 2012: Mouretsu, EVOL, 0048 and next season's Muv-Luv)

Anyway, as far as I know AKB0048 is late night anime like nearly all of these. This crosses out "kids" fanbase very effectively as well as large number of normal folks who like AKB48 because they don't follow those late anime blocks.

It's a pity the show came out so late in spring season and comes with AKB48 "baggage" because I think it would be fair bit more popular with the main target audience otherwise. Here and in other boards people who've actually given the show a chance and watched it seem to genuinely really like it and in japanese boards AKB fans and more impartial viewers tend to like it too.

Liking unfortunately doesn't automatically translate into sales and the target customers for show like this, the average anime viewers, won't bite it due to AKB connection. I've even seen some posters on 2ch and futaba complain that there's perfectly fine show there under AKB moniker but most people just want to see it fail simply because of AKB48 connection.

In a sense the viewer response (generally positive) in the west is more balanced because it is not based on out of hand dismissal like in this latest case of ota vs wota drama.

0048's main aim seems to be to give AKB48 another headway/entry point into the otaku business and fandom and most otaku resist the very attempt. Which is problem because iti s those otaku who are supposed to buy the discs.
Jun 20, 2012 11:57 AM
Jul 2009
Xardie said:
Anyway, as far as I know AKB0048 is late night anime like nearly all of these. This crosses out "kids" fanbase very effectively as well as large number of normal folks who like AKB48 because they don't follow those late anime blocks.

Its main slot is Saturday 23:00hs. That might be a little too late at night for little kids, but it's still a pretty accessible slot for other non-otaku audiences (ie: female teens) , specially since Sunday isn't a school-day.
1idd0kunJun 20, 2012 12:09 PM
Jun 20, 2012 12:24 PM
Mar 2012
Xardie said:

etc....

Pretty sure it's schedule conflicts, most AKB girls are working alot more since their rise in 2010. And Watanabe Mayu who's a major character in the show have to promote along side AKB, Warota sub-unit, as well as her solo single, and drama roles. Kawamori tried to get the other AKB members to voice their own characters as well but their time constraint was too much so they hired seiyuus as supporting roles.

And like the other poster said, the show is on a Saturday and teens, and kids can stay up later on those nights.

Also the anime is to help further the girls' career as well. Alot of the members doing this are all interested in seiyuu jobs in the future. I honestly think this anime is to give them more experience in the industry as well as trying to lessen the hate otakus have for AKB.
Right now...since the anime isn't airing on major TV station but it is promoted on some ads, I wonder if the purpose is to fish for more BD sales...anyway we'll just have to see.
Since the management and the girls' agencies invested some time and effort in this anime, I doubt they'll just stand by and let the sales flop.
Jun 20, 2012 12:26 PM

Oct 2011
1idd0kun said:
Its main slot is Saturday 23:00hs. That might be a little too late at night for little kids, but it's still a pretty accessible slot for other non-otaku audiences (ie: female teens) , specially since Sunday isn't a school-day.

I would say that it's also not the best - there is a lot other things that teens can do that time, than watching anime.
It was already talked here (in topic of some other episode) that they made, maybe not mistake but something similar: simply puting this show earlier, which should be possible for this group, they could attract a lot more people - kids or some other folks that just want to watch something with AKB.
And again Precure could show how to do it (I like them just to let know): they sell badly in DVD/BD form but from toys and other accesories for kids they do lots of money (100 million of dollars each season). I hope that they will get second season and than put it into some more rational time slot to use that potential.
Jun 20, 2012 3:50 PM

Dec 2010
one of the best drama of spring anime.
Jun 21, 2012 12:09 AM

Apr 2011
Takamina sure is lucky to have survived a swarm of deathflags.

It passed over her because she was so short.

/jk
Jun 22, 2012 7:09 PM
Jun 2012
Magito said:
Takamina sure is lucky to have survived a swarm of deathflags.

It passed over her because she was so short.

/jk

Bahaha lol'd!

BTW (General / to the thread); why do otaku and wota dislike each other? Music interest and television interests are pretty separate (to me) so ... ?

Also ... whr have 76th been for the past 6 episodes? They only really appeared from 7 onwards ...

I guess, maybe since the narrative is mainly through the 77th gen girls. Perhaps since the different generations don't practice together they rarely see each other. :/.
penguinsamaJun 22, 2012 7:15 PM
Jun 23, 2012 3:24 PM

May 2011
Takamina, cmonnn snap out of it. I highly doubt Kanata would be happy about Takamina graduating since she's her idol. Its really sucks seeing conflicts like this and I really feel for her. Aw seeing her in a state like that and in pain is just ftl. :/ Hopefully Yuuko's speech brought some sense into her and everything turns out fine in the next episode.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » AKB0048 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

akbfan - Jun 24, 2012

80 by povsuduvolosy »»
Sep 3, 2022 2:49 PM

Poll: » AKB0048 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 22, 2012

106 by Gendolfas »»
Feb 11, 2022 1:26 PM

Poll: » AKB0048 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

akbfan - Jul 15, 2012

62 by Ashhk »»
May 8, 2021 12:09 AM

Poll: » AKB0048 Episode 11 Discussion

akbfan - Jul 8, 2012

45 by Ashhk »»
May 7, 2021 12:20 PM

Poll: » AKB0048 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

akbfan - Jul 1, 2012

54 by Ashhk »»
May 7, 2021 11:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.