Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (39) « First ... « 33 34 [35] 36 37 » ... Last »
Nov 24, 2019 8:42 PM
Oct 2019
Oh my God! The ending was perfect. Lelouch, you left me with tears. The story ended from where it started ie ZERO.
The ironical part about the ending was that the most hated character in anime is the most loved character in the real world.
Nov 25, 2019 2:59 PM
May 2012
At least Lelouch died, that's one thing I like.
Dec 8, 2019 2:35 AM
May 2012
ttcchen said:
Tengai said:
At least Lelouch died, that's one thing I like.
you hate him?
Fifteen characters

I don't, but his character needed to die.
Dec 8, 2019 6:44 AM

Jan 2019
Best ending in all of anime.
Jan 6, 2020 10:21 AM

Aug 2018
Maybe I am too dumb, but I need answers to some questions. How was this Zero Requiem the best solution to the problem? He could have, you know, just liberated the Britannian colonies after becoming its emperor. The best explanation I could find is that
More importantly, what exactly were Charles and Schneizel up to and why? And how did Zero sabotage Charles's plan so easily? It would be great if someone could explain this.

I also have some minor issues and questions regarding the explanation of Geass's origin, Charles's elder brother's looking so younger than him, how they built that Sword of Akasha, how CC came into contact with Charles & Marianne,
and so on. But I guess that I'll get the answers to these from the movie.
goodguygregJan 6, 2020 11:16 AM
Jan 6, 2020 11:52 AM

Nov 2014
goodguygreg said:
Maybe I am too dumb, but I need answers to some questions. How was this Zero Requiem the best solution to the problem? He could have, you know, just liberated the Britannian colonies after becoming its emperor. The best explanation I could find is that
More importantly, what exactly were Charles and Schneizel up to and why? And how did Zero sabotage Charles's plan so easily? It would be great if someone could explain this.

I also have some minor issues and questions regarding the explanation of Geass's origin, Charles's elder brother's looking so younger than him, how they built that Sword of Akasha, how CC came into contact with Charles & Marianne,

Forgot about most of the stuff so i can answer ur other questions but the zero requiem is for the world to have a common enemy to centralize their hatred on. The enemy of the enemy is ur friend. That's the only way to unite everyone. And once the world's greatest enemy is defeated thats when people can achieve world peace. And Charles's older brother is younger is cause once u get a Code ur body stops growing. In other words, u become immortal.
Jan 7, 2020 12:01 AM

Aug 2018
ttcchen said:
goodguygreg said:

Forgot about most of the stuff so i can answer ur other questions but the zero requiem is for the world to have a common enemy to centralize their hatred on. The enemy of the enemy is ur friend. That's the only way to unite everyone. And once the world's greatest enemy is defeated thats when people can achieve world peace. And Charles's older brother is younger is cause once u get a Code ur body stops growing. In other words, u become immortal.
Okay, thanks for answering! That really helped.
Feb 5, 2020 9:35 PM
Oct 2014
People really made this series out to be the best anime of the 2000's back in 2012 on youtube. This anime was good in season one and left us on a cliffhanger. Season 2 got stupid with these reasons
#1 lelouch memory brain wash and c2's memory sealing. #2 jeremiah is alive and cornelia is alive #3nanully dies no wait she is alive #4lelouch is the bad guy now #5 black knights and lelouch break up #6chinese federation fighting black knights then the Britannia army then the Britannia people again.. SMH #7lelouch mother is evil this show is nowhere near as good as death note or YuYu Hakusho. Idk why people regard code Geass as the best anime of all time.
Feb 18, 2020 4:13 AM
Jan 2017
goodguygreg said:

about how the zero requiem is the best solution, the anime has from the start developed to converge to this solution: the problem is not only about britania or the monarchy, war has been since humains exist as c.c said in the last episode, people tend always to fight for what they think is right, but they never try to understand the other's pain nore they care about them, when charles died, shnizel came, and this would have continued endleslly, but the reason why the zero requiem is the best solution is that he centred all humanity's hatred toward one person, they were finnaly able to understand the other's pain cause they are all under the same treat, lelouch took over the whole world to unify people against him and to make them understand how peace is precious and that fighting is not the solution, so when lelouch died, they were freed from the burden of hatred and they could sit in round tables to discuss their problems. Code geass doenst say too much about these things, it only hint to them so that the viewer could make his own vision of the thing, and i find this to be brilliant. They hinted the ending from ep 5, lelouch said back then "when does war end? When some one wins" he also said in the first episode " the ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed" and he also said that he will destroy the world and make a new one and defeating evil by the means of greater evil.this is lelouch's phylosophy, he doesnt believe in mere words, like "i will change the system from inside" and the anime has shown that it's impossible this way cause the whole system is corrupted and susaku finnaly understood this and joined with lelouch. There is also the thing you said about them wanting to atone for their sins, it's absolutely true but it's only one part of the whole thing.
Now about what charles and shnizel were up to, charles is some one who is living in the past, he doesnt care about the present, he dedicated his all life to create a system that could unify all people's mind, the incarnation of this is the thought elevator, it's only a symbole you know, but for him to achieve this goal he needed two codes, he already have v.v's one and from the begining of the show he was after c.c who didnt agree with this plan, you remember the first episode when clovis captured c.c and was about to give it to the prince, but the japanese stole the capsule from him. The sword of akasha is a symbolisme in the japanese folklore, i dont have a clear idea about the myth but in code geass it incarnate how god will be slayed, god here is the collective consciousness that were gathered via the thought elevator. The purpose of all this is to to get rid of the lies in the world, by connecting every one's thoughts, so that every one will act as he is, without any mask. But the problem with this system is that it dosnt allow people to evolve, cause they will be no desires, no problems no future, life will loose its value cause even the dead people will be in that world. This is why lelouch rejected this world, he wanted a dynamic world where people long for the the loved ones, where they hope for the better, where they strugle to achieve their goals, even if they lie or commit mistakes, humaniyu should not stagnate. And to defeat charles, mariane and their system it was so easy to do and lelouch figured it so quicly, yes he couldnt use geass on charles who has the code, but he could use it on the collective consciousness as it's made from people's minds,( remember geass work on the mind of people not the corpse or the objet no matter the type of geass) but to geass the whole collective consciousness lelouch needed to have geass at its max cause it's as if he was about to geass a lot of people at the same time, so lelouch activated the other eye only by his extreme resolve and by his absolute despair, and then he ordred the collective consciousness to not stop the march of time, which means to destroy the system itself, and this also means that charles and mariane should no longer exist in the real world so they got absorbed by their own creation.
Shinzel in the other hand is the one who thinks only of the present, he doesnt care how the future will be, and this is why his methods are too extreme cause the consequences deosnt mean any thing to him. Lelouch relises the true nature of his brother and was then able to defeat him, he realised that shnizel doesnt have any desire as he doesnt care for the future, he doesnt enter a batlle to win but only not to loose, and because he misundrstood lelouch's ideology he thought that lelouch was willing to kill him, and that's wjat brought his loss, cause lelouch from tje start was planning to use him for the sake of the zero requiem.
"Charles values the past, you value the present, but i value the future, cause no matter how the future will be bright as people are longing for the best" said lelouch to shnizel in ep 24. And to link this the zero requiem, lelouch chose to die for the future to be bright,the geass in the end was the symbol of a wish that you need others to do for you, lelouch has all the way used the geass to make people do what he wanted, and in the end it was time for him to grant the whole world the wish they longed for, to grant them a world of peace, that world nunally and euphy hoped for. What a pefect ending with so much morality and emotions.

And about your minor questions, v.v loocked youger than charles while he is the elder brother is normal cause v.v has the code that make him immortal, this means that he is now growing any more, his body doesnt get older, look at c.c how she looked young while she lived i dont know how many decades or decenies. And how c.c met marian and charles, it wasnt showb in the anime but yoy can deduce it, she lived for so long in the only reason to find someone to pass the code to so that she could die, and the best way to do it is to search people who has power like charles and who can use the geass effectivly, the proof is that she has been chasing lelouch for so long and when they met in the first episode of the series she said " i found you" and she explained later that she saw potentiel in him and that he most likely will be able to realize her wish cause she already know who lelouch is and hwo much hatred he feels for the empror and britania. The question of the origine of geass was never the focus of the series cause it doesnt give anything to the story, on the contrary it would have dragged the series and finnaly they wount give a satisfying answer like no one has till now given a satisfying answer about the origin of the world we live in. And finnaly about susaku faking his death there is nothing weird about it cause he can simply eject before the explosion, they only showed us the explosion from the outside to fool us.

I know i've writen a lot, so i'm sorry i couldnt make it shorter, but the questions you rised are very important and neede a deep analysis. It's normal to miss a lot of details in the first watch cause code geass's pace is high and they give athis lot of information and they mix it with emotions, that's why rewatching code geass is a must for every one in order to understand the meaning of every thing. I've watched code geass multiple times and each time i knew something New. Just trsut me and rewatch the whole thing and you'll see that almost every thing makes sense and that the writing and the forshadowing is brilliant to say the least.
Feb 18, 2020 4:58 AM

Aug 2018
hamza121419 said:
goodguygreg said:

about how the zero requiem is the best solution, the anime has from the start developed to converge to this solution: the problem is not only about britania or the monarchy, war has been since humains exist as c.c said in the last episode, people tend always to fight for what they think is right, but they never try to understand the other's pain nore they care about them, when charles died, shnizel came, and this would have continued endleslly, but the reason why the zero requiem is the best solution is that he centred all humanity's hatred toward one person, they were finnaly able to understand the other's pain cause they are all under the same treat, lelouch took over the whole world to unify people against him and to make them understand how peace is precious and that fighting is not the solution, so when lelouch died, they were freed from the burden of hatred and they could sit in round tables to discuss their problems. Code geass doenst say too much about these things, it only hint to them so that the viewer could make his own vision of the thing, and i find this to be brilliant. They hinted the ending from ep 5, lelouch said back then "when does war end? When some one wins" he also said in the first episode " the ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed" and he also said that he will destroy the world and make a new one and defeating evil by the means of greater evil.this is lelouch's phylosophy, he doesnt believe in mere words, like "i will change the system from inside" and the anime has shown that it's impossible this way cause the whole system is corrupted and susaku finnaly understood this and joined with lelouch. There is also the thing you said about them wanting to atone for their sins, it's absolutely true but it's only one part of the whole thing.
Now about what charles and shnizel were up to, charles is some one who is living in the past, he doesnt care about the present, he dedicated his all life to create a system that could unify all people's mind, the incarnation of this is the thought elevator, it's only a symbole you know, but for him to achieve this goal he needed two codes, he already have v.v's one and from the begining of the show he was after c.c who didnt agree with this plan, you remember the first episode when clovis captured c.c and was about to give it to the prince, but the japanese stole the capsule from him. The sword of akasha is a symbolisme in the japanese folklore, i dont have a clear idea about the myth but in code geass it incarnate how god will be slayed, god here is the collective consciousness that were gathered via the thought elevator. The purpose of all this is to to get rid of the lies in the world, by connecting every one's thoughts, so that every one will act as he is, without any mask. But the problem with this system is that it dosnt allow people to evolve, cause they will be no desires, no problems no future, life will loose its value cause even the dead people will be in that world. This is why lelouch rejected this world, he wanted a dynamic world where people long for the the loved ones, where they hope for the better, where they strugle to achieve their goals, even if they lie or commit mistakes, humaniyu should not stagnate. And to defeat charles, mariane and their system it was so easy to do and lelouch figured it so quicly, yes he couldnt use geass on charles who has the code, but he could use it on the collective consciousness as it's made from people's minds,( remember geass work on the mind of people not the corpse or the objet no matter the type of geass) but to geass the whole collective consciousness lelouch needed to have geass at its max cause it's as if he was about to geass a lot of people at the same time, so lelouch activated the other eye only by his extreme resolve and by his absolute despair, and then he ordred the collective consciousness to not stop the march of time, which means to destroy the system itself, and this also means that charles and mariane should no longer exist in the real world so they got absorbed by their own creation.
Shinzel in the other hand is the one who thinks only of the present, he doesnt care how the future will be, and this is why his methods are too extreme cause the consequences deosnt mean any thing to him. Lelouch relises the true nature of his brother and was then able to defeat him, he realised that shnizel doesnt have any desire as he doesnt care for the future, he doesnt enter a batlle to win but only not to loose, and because he misundrstood lelouch's ideology he thought that lelouch was willing to kill him, and that's wjat brought his loss, cause lelouch from tje start was planning to use him for the sake of the zero requiem.
"Charles values the past, you value the present, but i value the future, cause no matter how the future will be bright as people are longing for the best" said lelouch to shnizel in ep 24. And to link this the zero requiem, lelouch chose to die for the future to be bright,the geass in the end was the symbol of a wish that you need others to do for you, lelouch has all the way used the geass to make people do what he wanted, and in the end it was time for him to grant the whole world the wish they longed for, to grant them a world of peace, that world nunally and euphy hoped for. What a pefect ending with so much morality and emotions.

And about your minor questions, v.v loocked youger than charles while he is the elder brother is normal cause v.v has the code that make him immortal, this means that he is now growing any more, his body doesnt get older, look at c.c how she looked young while she lived i dont know how many decades or decenies. And how c.c met marian and charles, it wasnt showb in the anime but yoy can deduce it, she lived for so long in the only reason to find someone to pass the code to so that she could die, and the best way to do it is to search people who has power like charles and who can use the geass effectivly, the proof is that she has been chasing lelouch for so long and when they met in the first episode of the series she said " i found you" and she explained later that she saw potentiel in him and that he most likely will be able to realize her wish cause she already know who lelouch is and hwo much hatred he feels for the empror and britania. The question of the origine of geass was never the focus of the series cause it doesnt give anything to the story, on the contrary it would have dragged the series and finnaly they wount give a satisfying answer like no one has till now given a satisfying answer about the origin of the world we live in. And finnaly about susaku faking his death there is nothing weird about it cause he can simply eject before the explosion, they only showed us the explosion from the outside to fool us.

I know i've writen a lot, so i'm sorry i couldnt make it shorter, but the questions you rised are very important and neede a deep analysis. It's normal to miss a lot of details in the first watch cause code geass's pace is high and they give athis lot of information and they mix it with emotions, that's why rewatching code geass is a must for every one in order to understand the meaning of every thing. I've watched code geass multiple times and each time i knew something New. Just trsut me and rewatch the whole thing and you'll see that almost every thing makes sense and that the writing and the forshadowing is brilliant to say the least.
Whoa! You sure have done your homework. But seriously, this was helpful, especially the second and the paragraphs. Thanks. Perhaps this will help other first-watchers too.
Feb 22, 2020 9:04 PM

Jun 2017
R.I.P. Lelouch. I think he didn't deserve to die but in the end, it was what he thought was right. It just angers me that everyone else got to live happy lives afterward not knowing what Lelouch did for them (except for a few like Kallen, Nunnally, and Suzaku). Also at first, I hated Suzaku but towards the end he became likable. 10/10
yura_marinetteFeb 22, 2020 9:09 PM
Mar 19, 2020 12:38 AM

Jul 2016
I loved the dramatic-ness of the death scene, but man, this ending wasn't satisfying at all.
Apr 24, 2020 8:52 AM
Jan 2017
Woahh.. this is very good ending.. no one cant think that leluoch take all the bad side of the world making the entire world hate him take tha bad side. destroy and make it new.. and some tragic ending.. the best ending ever.. but poor for C.C she stay alive even she want to disappear feom the world.. and at the ending i dont know her real name.. very good anime and story,
9/10 if the grapich was good i give 10 but nope
May 19, 2020 10:40 AM

Dec 2016
A truly disappointing ending, it could be foreseen from a mile away of distance but we still had to deal with all the god/geass/mythological bullshit in the path, with every episode ending with some kind of twist to shock people and make the show look like smart and careful planned.
Jul 9, 2020 7:54 PM

Feb 2020
that was a good ending to a very erratic show. i'm not sure how i feel about it, because yes i did enjoy watching it for the sheer entertainment value and the fight scenes, but it definitely tried to do too much and the storytelling really suffered for it.

i did cry though. lelouch you were a real stand up guy. it was fun.
Aug 6, 2020 7:21 PM
Aug 2019
hamza121419 said:
goodguygreg said:

nice text you got there XD
Aug 16, 2020 3:48 AM
Jul 2019
ALL HAIL LELOUCH!

What a magnificent end to an amazing series. I now see why Lelouch is the most favorited character in this site, add me to those numbers. What he's been through from beginning to end was just phenomenal. From a normal high school student to the world's most hated dictator but also secretly the hero people deserve.

Never have I seen an anime that I was so invested on. Every episode is always interesting that it'll keep your eyes on the screen all the time. This show is a masterpiece and I'm glad it's getting the praise it needs.

10/10.
Aug 19, 2020 5:35 PM

May 2015
A show that I will come to rate very highly. Lelouch won! Although it is very bittersweet for his win to come at such a loss for the audience and all of his friends.

Although if it didn't end this way, I don't think anyone would have much respect for Lelouch and his methods.

10/10 all the way through.
Aug 24, 2020 1:07 AM
Aug 2020
I just watched the ending today... Ahh, it's so strong. I loved it, but it leaves me feeling sad, that something is not right.
I hate the Black Knights, they are f*cking traitors. They betrayed Zero, just because they found out that he was a prince of Britannia and he used a Geass. They turned out to be very moralistic being terrorists. They even allied themselves with Schneizel (someone who wanted to take over the world by dropping nuclear bombs on all territories that disagreed with him) just to defeat Lelouch, someone who helped many Japanese by giving them territory and laws, you damn hypocrites! They are not better than him.
This ending leaves me very powerless, it is very true that it is easier to blame a person than a system. The worst part is that Lelouch will always be remembered for all the bad things and not for the good things he did. Suzaku was also a hypocrite, although he at least agreed to share in the punishment by becoming Zero.
Sep 17, 2020 11:16 PM

Jan 2016
This episode alone pushed the rating of this season to 10 for me. Best ending for me in anime. The twists, the crying, the ost's all so good. I'm not even gonna watch r3

Sep 29, 2020 11:26 AM

Jan 2015
Well, I have mixed feelings about the series. It had very sudden turns and the pace was very fast. Lelouch's death was obvious tbh. Some things doesn't make sense but it was rather enjoyable and had fun watching. 6/10 from me.
Oct 13, 2020 3:51 PM
Jul 2020
Well.. The first part of this series was good. I'm sorry, but second part had several hiccups and plot-holes to be considered good to me.

The ending was pretty rushed and unexplained - it felt kind of forced; though, Lelouch's death was quite saddening.

R1 = 8/10

R2 = 7/10
Oct 23, 2020 10:54 PM
Aug 2020
Code Geass is the best anime,it should be no1 on mal
Dec 10, 2020 4:30 PM

Oct 2014
perhaps one of the best anime endings i’ve ever seen, it’s been a long time since i’ve seen one like this

the fight scenes were epic and the moment that lelu used geass on nunally had me SHOCKED... that was his most unforgivable act for me

i knew what was coming, but it made me sob regardless

10/10, and i’ll be buying it on blu-ray for myself after christmas
Dec 21, 2020 9:11 AM
Aug 2020
I loved this anime, gave it a 10/10.

Lelouch had to die in the end after everything wrong that he did, but I was not expecting for him to plot even his own death.
Dec 24, 2020 6:37 PM

Apr 2020
imma describe both seasons in one word. MASTERPIECE

Jan 11, 2021 7:07 PM

Jan 2019
It's sad seeing that Lelouch died and everybody thinks that he is a bad guy when he literally sacrificed everything and in return the world hated him. Really beautiful and a sad ending at the same, just wish that the world would at least recognize Lelouch's sacrifices and achievements. Really liked the animation and the story was amazing. 9/10
Jan 12, 2021 2:33 PM
Apr 2018
One of the most emotional ending ever
Jan 16, 2021 1:12 AM
Nov 2020
Cannot believe people thought this ending was bad. There still isn't an ending as good as this anime's. Thats what makes CG so great. One of the best anime. Best ending in any anime ever.
Feb 4, 2021 12:58 PM
Dec 2020
Manuchimso said:
You shouldn't trust anyone that says this ending isn't a 10/10 LMFAOO

I was really disappointed reading the first comments from 2008
Feb 6, 2021 5:20 AM
Oct 2020
This is the most overrated endings of all time, there are anime that are more thought out and well written endings than this. Still a 5/5 episode tho
Feb 15, 2021 4:34 PM
Jan 2018
Man this ending is so fucking amazing, I came to this thread to look at the comments from 2008 but most of the ones I read were negative lmao, either way this anime is fucking amazing and it's stuck in my head . I couldn't have thought of a better ending than this. I am literally hearing random dialogue from the show. This is how much I have been obsessed with series. I loved the ending but it is sad as fuck that there's no more code geass but all good things must come to an end.
Feb 20, 2021 5:54 AM
May 2016
Loved the show, loved the characters, loved the ending. Great stuff, super fun ride from start to finish, very deserving of the high score.
Mar 1, 2021 7:42 AM
Dec 2019
Ok i really love that loophole to the happy end .....the stage after geass of immortality what if leolouch took it for that moment then gave it to Suzaku hence suzaku would have to live on forever while he went to bonnies with C.C that's why she said geass leading to people being alone might be wrong (cause they are together even after being geass users).
Mar 15, 2021 10:51 AM
Mar 2021
Masterpiece
Lelouch lamperouge 🔥🔥❤
Mar 17, 2021 10:11 AM

Jan 2017
When Cornelia said "Lelouch the demon is dead" it was honestly pretty painful to hear
Apr 5, 2021 6:42 AM

Sep 2020
What a chad lelouch,he died like a true britannia emperor,cried a bucket seeing this one :(, F.

Apr 10, 2021 7:04 AM

Mar 2019
I liked the ending but darn, most of this season was an absolute chore to watch. A lot of it felt as if it had been written by teenagers, honestly... I hated how often characters changed sides for barely existent reasons, many of Zero's lines were very difficult to take seriously and everything just felt so chaotic. I feel like the show could have been considerably shorter, too. Once again, I liked the ending, I really did but it definitely wasn't a destination worth the journey.
OωO
Apr 10, 2021 3:26 PM
Feb 2021
Lelouch's death would have been earned if there had been a third season, but it is now known that the corporate offices of Sunrise were meddling with the second season to get it wrapped up as soon as possible. I thought season 1 was decent and was excited to see what happened next despite the overall experience only being a 6/10 for me. Maybe a 7 at best.

But then they reset everything that happened in episode one of the second season and didn't seem to know how to write proper development. Characters that could have been very fascinating (you know exactly who I am talking about) are not properly integrated into the story and are later killed for shock value or are just killed a few seconds after appearing because making Kallen even more unlikable makes the war more morally ambiguous, apparently. The Sunrise standard of beam spamming takes over any semblance of strategy the first season had, and the dialogue is bogged down by a plethora of pseudo-philosophical nonsense. (Except for Bismarck. He was truly wise despite believing too much in the emperor's plan. I don't know whether to be indifferent or upset by his death. But I think he could have been disillusioned along with Monica, Dorothea, Gino, Anya, and Nonette once he saw the empire fall apart. Either way, Suzaku is an Eleven at the very end of the story.)

Code Geass has a lot of good ideas that are compressed into a mishmash of nonsense that would have benefitted immensely by extending the series and taking more time to develop the plot and characters. The only reason viewers mourned Lelouch so much was because of his looks. He was completely unlikable by the end of the series and Zero Requiem was doomed to fail, anyway.

Monica is Best Girl. No debate.
VaguelyweebishApr 10, 2021 3:31 PM
"Tomatoes are nutritious and scrumptious."--Ryuunoske Akasaka, "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou"

Sword Art Online is mid, not utter trash. Oh yes, I'm such a rebel. 😎
Apr 10, 2021 3:29 PM
Feb 2021
Crazymallets said:
Most over rated ending in anime history, and it's what made me hate this anime so much.
The concept that Lelouch's plan would ever work is ludicrous. They really had to pull off some B.S. moments just to make it work, and pretty much make everyone an idiot so Lelouch could win.

The so called "peace" Lelouch made is a lie with Suzaku being a false hero.
It doesn't at all touch upon true political issues, corporate corruption, racism, and many other issues that need to be addressed to create world peace. (I'm actually happy the new movie points some of this out).

Lelouch himself had just told his father forcing kindness on people is an act of villainy. Yet what did Lelouch do? Just that. He was nothing by a hypocrite who placed himself above everyone else. He had the means to make the world a better place in a gentler manner once becoming emperor. Instead he created a war that costs millions of lives and ruined many more. Does that really honoring Euphi's, Nunnally's or anyone of the good people's desires? Personally I consider him mentally unstable and his so called grand scheme to bring about peace was nothing but a suicidal note.
Indeed. I couldn't have said it better.
"Tomatoes are nutritious and scrumptious."--Ryuunoske Akasaka, "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou"

Apr 19, 2021 12:28 PM

Nov 2020
Vaguelyweebish said:
Lelouch's death would have been earned if there had been a third season, but it is now known that the corporate offices of Sunrise were meddling with the second season to get it wrapped up as soon as possible. I thought season 1 was decent and was excited to see what happened next despite the overall experience only being a 6/10 for me. Maybe a 7 at best.

But then they reset everything that happened in episode one of the second season and didn't seem to know how to write proper development. Characters that could have been very fascinating (you know exactly who I am talking about) are not properly integrated into the story and are later killed for shock value or are just killed a few seconds after appearing because making Kallen even more unlikable makes the war more morally ambiguous, apparently. The Sunrise standard of beam spamming takes over any semblance of strategy the first season had, and the dialogue is bogged down by a plethora of pseudo-philosophical nonsense. (Except for Bismarck. He was truly wise despite believing too much in the emperor's plan. I don't know whether to be indifferent or upset by his death. But I think he could have been disillusioned along with Monica, Dorothea, Gino, Anya, and Nonette once he saw the empire fall apart. Either way, Suzaku is an Eleven at the very end of the story.)

Code Geass has a lot of good ideas that are compressed into a mishmash of nonsense that would have benefitted immensely by extending the series and taking more time to develop the plot and characters. The only reason viewers mourned Lelouch so much was because of his looks. He was completely unlikable by the end of the series and Zero Requiem was doomed to fail, anyway.

Well said, while I thought the scene where Nunnally was crying over Lelouch's body as the crowd chanted for Zero was very effective and the idea of the Zero Requiem on its own is about as satisfying a conclusion to this story and cast of characters as we could've gotten, the season's rushed nature and messy story telling prevented it from being "the best anime ending ever" IMO. It really feels like Sunrise screwed this story over by forcing the team to reset the story to appeal to the demographic that came with the new timeslot, while also wanting the story to be wrapped up that same season. Because of that it felt like they had a good beginning and ending, but had no idea how to tie the two together thanks to studio interference. Pacing was all over the place, characters and subplots just came and went, etc. Still don't really understand the whole deal with Charles's plan, as his goal of removing lies from the world with things like the Thought Elevator and Sword of Akasha were too vague and poorly explained.

Characters as well got shafted for the most part. Lelouch was resorted to an overemotional spaz who seemed to lack the same confidence and genius as before (and no his secret plan in the end, as good as it is, doesn't make up for all this). Shirley was rendered into a non-character halfway through Season 1 and just when it seemed like she would play a part in the story again, Rollo kills her. Suzaku became unlikeable and irritating as opposed to a sympathetic, complex character we can understand. Kallen turned into just another member of Lelouch's harem, speaking of which made his connection/reaction to Shirley's death all the more cheap since the series never gave their relationship more attention than with Kallen or CC. I've never felt more conflicted on a series before since there's a lot to like about it, but just as much if not more to groan at too. If nothing else it's shown the power an ending can have in determining a story's legacy, cause if it didn't miraculously end on a satisfying note like it did, it'd likely be remembered for all of its flaws instead of its pros.
Are ya winning, diners?
Apr 19, 2021 3:41 PM
Feb 2021
ScottMerica said:
Vaguelyweebish said:

Well said, while I thought the scene where Nunnally was crying over Lelouch's body as the crowd chanted for Zero was very effective and the idea of the Zero Requiem on its own is about as satisfying a conclusion to this story and cast of characters as we could've gotten, the season's rushed nature and messy story telling prevented it from being "the best anime ending ever" IMO. It really feels like Sunrise screwed this story over by forcing the team to reset the story to appeal to the demographic that came with the new timeslot, while also wanting the story to be wrapped up that same season. Because of that it felt like they had a good beginning and ending, but had no idea how to tie the two together thanks to studio interference. Pacing was all over the place, characters and subplots just came and went, etc. Still don't really understand the whole deal with Charles's plan, as his goal of removing lies from the world with things like the Thought Elevator and Sword of Akasha were too vague and poorly explained.

Characters as well got shafted for the most part. Lelouch was resorted to an overemotional spaz who seemed to lack the same confidence and genius as before (and no his secret plan in the end, as good as it is, doesn't make up for all this). Shirley was rendered into a non-character halfway through Season 1 and just when it seemed like she would play a part in the story again, Rollo kills her. Suzaku became unlikeable and irritating as opposed to a sympathetic, complex character we can understand. Kallen turned into just another member of Lelouch's harem, speaking of which made his connection/reaction to Shirley's death all the more cheap since the series never gave their relationship more attention than with Kallen or CC. I've never felt more conflicted on a series before since there's a lot to like about it, but just as much if not more to groan at too. If nothing else it's shown the power an ending can have in determining a story's legacy, cause if it didn't miraculously end on a satisfying note like it did, it'd likely be remembered for all of its flaws instead of its pros.
A funny thing when you think about it: The "peace" Lelouch gave Britannia is a complete lie, and that is mirrored by Zero's identity. Beneath the mask is the selfish and petulant kid who murdered his own comrades in cold blood despite knowing they harbored no prejudices toward anyone and was THE primary tool for Lelouch's conquest during the civil war. What would happen if Zero's identity is revealed in public?

That fragile "peace" would shatter.

I'm hoping by some weird miracle that the writers recognize the strong cult following Monica and Dorothea have and bring them back in the new content so THEY can expose Zero for the sham he is. Who better to expose the hypocrisy of the new administration than two people who so dearly trusted Suzaku before he betrayed them in the worst way possible? That would make for a great arc, but I wonder if the fandom would reject it because it's showing how stupidly hypocritical Lelouch was. And Lelouch is NEVER wrong, obviously.

Yep, I hated so many of the main characters by the end that I only really like a few side characters who got almost no screen time because the writers had to pull a Snoke death. Now THAT is bad writing. -_-

And boy, I forgot how obnoxiously angsty Lelouch was throughout season 2. Shutting my brain off made me miss the important aspects that need to be critiqued.

Apr 19, 2021 6:17 PM

Nov 2020
Vaguelyweebish said:
ScottMerica said:

A funny thing when you think about it: The "peace" Lelouch gave Britannia is a complete lie, and that is mirrored by Zero's identity. Beneath the mask is the selfish and petulant kid who murdered his own comrades in cold blood despite knowing they harbored no prejudices toward anyone and was THE primary tool for Lelouch's conquest during the civil war. What would happen if Zero's identity is revealed in public?

I'm hoping by some weird miracle that the writers recognize the strong cult following Monica and Dorothea have and bring them back in the new content so THEY can expose Zero for the sham he is. Who better to expose the hypocrisy of the new administration than two people who so dearly trusted Suzaku before he betrayed them in the worst way possible? That would make for a great arc, but I wonder if the fandom would reject it because it's showing how stupidly hypocritical Lelouch was. And Lelouch is NEVER wrong, obviously.

Yep, I hated so many of the main characters by the end that I only really like a few side characters who got almost no screen time because the writers had to pull a Snoke death. Now THAT is bad writing. -_-

And boy, I forgot how obnoxiously angsty Lelouch was throughout season 2. Shutting my brain off made me miss the important aspects that need to be critiqued.

I also thought about how easy it'd be to destroy the peace Lelouch built by exposing Suzaku, like is he going to have to keep that costume on forever? He was famous during the war, if even one person discovered that Lelouch the demon's right hand man was posing as Zero the whole time it'd be over. Could be potentially interesting, but doubt it'll happen. Series is done, just leave it where it is and let fans be content with its ending. It was also disappointing that Schneizel, the guy who ultimately became the main antagonist, ended up being brain-washed for the remainder of this life.

But yeah, don't know what happened with Lelouch. Even in his battles against others he was constantly getting outmaneuvered and outsmarted. It's good to have him make mistakes and be flawed, but the way he handled these situations didn't feel like the same confident mastermind we saw in R1. The worst thing was the whole ordeal with Shirley and him attacking the Geass researchers. I'd understand him being upset over Shirley of course, but to go mental and forego any potential leads or info for the sake of "revenge" just felt shoe horned in. Him losing one of the girls in his harem isn't enough justification for him to order the murder of innocents. As I said, on paper the idea of the ending is great and fits nicely into the story, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired in some ways. It's why I'm hoping AOT pulls something similar (I'm anime only so I don't know about the manga ending) as it's a chance for this idea to be done better and so far AOT has remained engaging and thrilling with no signs of it tripping over itself in the same way as Code Geass.
Are ya winning, diners?
Apr 19, 2021 8:00 PM
Feb 2021
ScottMerica said:
Vaguelyweebish said:

I also thought about how easy it'd be to destroy the peace Lelouch built by exposing Suzaku, like is he going to have to keep that costume on forever? He was famous during the war, if even one person discovered that Lelouch the demon's right hand man was posing as Zero the whole time it'd be over. Could be potentially interesting, but doubt it'll happen. Series is done, just leave it where it is and let fans be content with its ending. It was also disappointing that Schneizel, the guy who ultimately became the main antagonist, ended up being brain-washed for the remainder of this life.

But yeah, don't know what happened with Lelouch. Even in his battles against others he was constantly getting outmaneuvered and outsmarted. It's good to have him make mistakes and be flawed, but the way he handled these situations didn't feel like the same confident mastermind we saw in R1. The worst thing was the whole ordeal with Shirley and him attacking the Geass researchers. I'd understand him being upset over Shirley of course, but to go mental and forego any potential leads or info for the sake of "revenge" just felt shoe horned in. Him losing one of the girls in his harem isn't enough justification for him to order the murder of innocents. As I said, on paper the idea of the ending is great and fits nicely into the story, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired in some ways. It's why I'm hoping AOT pulls something similar (I'm anime only so I don't know about the manga ending) as it's a chance for this idea to be done better and so far AOT has remained engaging and thrilling with no signs of it tripping over itself in the same way as Code Geass.
Actually, the creators made an alternate universe where a few things are changed. Shirley is saved by a Deus Ex Machina and Lelouch ultimately just wants to kill Rolo because he's a jerk, and he slaughters the Geass Order to make sure Geass can't be used as a weapon. Which, of course, just makes it even more senseless genocide. Also, Kallen never becomes a child killer since the Valkyrie Squadron is replaced with the Abraham Squadron (but poor Marika still can't catch a break since her brother is still fried--unless he wound up like her in the original timeline where he survives the explosion?). They seemed to have made the new universe to just save a character who people loved despite it greatly impacting the plot and to pull out some "moral ambiguity" where Kallen just became even more deplorable for the sake of shock value.

And I suspect that Monica and Dorothea were just not saved so Sunrise can get as much mobile game gacha money from their inevitable 5-star pulls. I was SO hoping I could still kind of like Suzaku this time around. But money takes precedence over logical character consistency.

So they are leaving the original universe alone, but they wanted to turn Code Geass into a true franchise.

May 17, 2021 8:00 AM

Jul 2016
I finished the anime recently and I think I've never seen a better ending than this one. It was PERFECT. I didn't like everyone suddenly had a geass, but in the end, the show was really good. Character development is one of the strongest points of Code Geass. I'm really glad I could watch it.
May 24, 2021 3:25 AM
Aug 2020
instant 10/10 for both seasons. What a ride. I’m glad I decided to watch Code Geass
May 24, 2021 3:00 PM
Feb 2021
phishe said:
instant 10/10 for both seasons. What a ride. I’m glad I decided to watch Code Geass
I hope Monica, Dorothea, and Gino get to execute Suzaku in the new series. Code Geass fans don't seem to think about all of the awful character inconsistences and shock value because they're so enamored by Lelouch. I've noticed that a lot of Code Geass fans seem to be very young. That explains a lot.

May 24, 2021 3:18 PM
Feb 2021
phishe said:
Oh, and the hilarious hypocrisy of this series is that Japan would have been Imperialist before Britannia took over since they never had WW2 to stop them, but the Japanese are spoon-fed censored snippets of their own history so the writers were virtually ignorant of it. LOL Yet in Akito the Exiled a (obviously) racist Eurpoean says that the Japanese are infamous for Kamikaze tactics--WHICH THEY USED DURING THEIR IMPERIALIST ERA. The amount of ignorance required to like these hypocritical characters and series is laughable. Oh, and I hope Marika got to end Kallen some time down the line in the original series, as well. Gino accidentally became an accessory for child murder. Not that he actually got any development for me to remember who he was.

Pages (39) « First ... « 33 34 [35] 36 37 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

yuzuko - Apr 20, 2008

239 by Delritos »»
Mar 29, 9:00 PM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Aug 17, 2008

435 by Dante9231 »»
Feb 21, 2:23 AM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dtshyk - Jun 29, 2008

291 by Dante9231 »»
Feb 20, 2:21 AM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Sep 14, 2008

305 by Beatnik »»
Feb 17, 11:58 AM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Dremark - Sep 7, 2008

430 by Beatnik »»
Feb 17, 10:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.