Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 7, 2007 5:51 PM

Nov 2004
gg Fansubs also released the short story that was included with the DVDs along with this episode.

So the end of Mao. Finally. And some revelations about Suzaku. The irony of it all, the one who preached justice killed his own father in cold blood when he was nine. Oh and the episode proved Suzaku is like a super human if he can dodge a machine gun like that. T__T

And yeah the short story, well I already read the translations for it a while ago, but yeah the story brings up the question on what happens to Suzaku to make him change so much. The Brittanian hater becomes a dog of Brittania.
CrystalFeb 8, 2007 5:40 AM
Feb 10, 2007 9:55 PM
Sep 2006
Suzaku dodging the machine gun was total bs
Feb 10, 2007 11:40 PM

Aug 2006
lol, I also thought it was odd.......
Feb 13, 2007 1:18 PM

Nov 2004
That was just stupid, i almost covered my screen with coke there
Jan 27, 2008 1:34 AM

Jun 2007
that was.... odd
anyways, suzaku killed his father, meaning that he was against the rebellion back then?
and C.C loved mao? for him to wait for her?
i guess i am willing for a C.C x lelouch ending that might not happen... anyways...

good episode overall...
Feb 23, 2008 2:10 AM

Feb 2008
CC's meaning "for him to wait for her", that was because she is going to kill Mao, means that Mao is going first to the afterlife. So CC wants Mao to wait for her in the afterlife. LOL!

It's really ironic for Suzaku's part. I hope he will become like Lulu, so there will be no preacher for Lulu, i hate Suzaku's part. He's like a gay... LOL!
Mar 27, 2008 3:40 PM
Oct 2007
that was some nice moves Lulu..
Apr 8, 2008 3:11 PM

Mar 2008
"In this world, there is malice born from kindness. There is also kindness born from malice. In the end, how will the people treat the actions that Lelouch has taken? Is judgment inevitable in this world? Geass. The one who uses this inhuman power will feel loneliness in their heart, whether they are willing or not, as they fall into the abyss between kindness and malice. However, if there exists someone who is able to rise above... Yes. That person would definitely have the characteristics to be the king, isn't that so?" -CC

I found this little speech to be interesting. A couple episodes back I pointed out how this anime seemed similar to some of Nietzsche's philosophy. Well again we have it here.

In the beginning when she is talking about malice coming from kindness, and kindness from malice she then asks, "How will the people judge Lulu?" She seems to be implying that there is no true standard at which to judge someone as good, instead the task of defining what is good is up to each person. Where some see malice, others see kindness.

So her next question is all the more interesting now... "Is judgment inevitable in this world?" That is a really deep question in this context. On one hand I wonder if she is asking, "At the end of one's life, is it unavoidable that a person will be judged?". One the other hand it seems like she is asking, "Is it possible to separate existence from judgment?" I think she actually means that second. Given the existentialist philosophy that this anime portrays I think that the answer to this question is a "no". In life we constantly judge things, at the very least based on their usefulness to us. Part of being a functioning person involves judging and determining what is best for you. "There are no facts, only interpretations." -Nietzsche

Finally, CC mentions rising above the standard emotions in order to achieve some sort of higher level. Again, this is something Nietzsche talks about. He calls this the "Übermensch" (often translated as "overman").

"All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment…" -Nietzsche

I don't want to go into too much detail, so if you want to know more check out wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Cbermensch

So it seems that CC is attempting to use the Geass as a test to find the Ubermensch. Is the Ubermensch Lulu? I was hoping that this anime would bring this up. I saw hints of this thought in the last episode, but I am happy it has been directly stated.

As a final thought, here is famous Nietzsche quote which I think hits home with the current atmosphere in this anime.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Aphorism 146
OmegaRedApr 8, 2008 3:28 PM

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
Apr 17, 2008 2:52 PM

Jan 2008
Once again lelouch proves just how smart he is! Great episode!
Apr 29, 2008 6:41 PM

Feb 2008
I thought Mao died, and i feel so bad for suzaku T___T
Apr 29, 2008 7:07 PM

Feb 2008
OmegaRed said:
"In this world, there is malice born from kindness. There is also kindness born from malice. In the end, how will the people treat the actions that Lelouch has taken? Is judgment inevitable in this world? Geass. The one who uses this inhuman power will feel loneliness in their heart, whether they are willing or not, as they fall into the abyss between kindness and malice. However, if there exists someone who is able to rise above... Yes. That person would definitely have the characteristics to be the king, isn't that so?" -CC

I found this little speech to be interesting. A couple episodes back I pointed out how this anime seemed similar to some of Nietzsche's philosophy. Well again we have it here.

In the beginning when she is talking about malice coming from kindness, and kindness from malice she then asks, "How will the people judge Lulu?" She seems to be implying that there is no true standard at which to judge someone as good, instead the task of defining what is good is up to each person. Where some see malice, others see kindness.

So her next question is all the more interesting now... "Is judgment inevitable in this world?" That is a really deep question in this context. On one hand I wonder if she is asking, "At the end of one's life, is it unavoidable that a person will be judged?". One the other hand it seems like she is asking, "Is it possible to separate existence from judgment?" I think she actually means that second. Given the existentialist philosophy that this anime portrays I think that the answer to this question is a "no". In life we constantly judge things, at the very least based on their usefulness to us. Part of being a functioning person involves judging and determining what is best for you. "There are no facts, only interpretations." -Nietzsche

Finally, CC mentions rising above the standard emotions in order to achieve some sort of higher level. Again, this is something Nietzsche talks about. He calls this the "Übermensch" (often translated as "overman").

"All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment…" -Nietzsche

I don't want to go into too much detail, so if you want to know more check out wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Cbermensch

So it seems that CC is attempting to use the Geass as a test to find the Ubermensch. Is the Ubermensch Lulu? I was hoping that this anime would bring this up. I saw hints of this thought in the last episode, but I am happy it has been directly stated.

As a final thought, here is famous Nietzsche quote which I think hits home with the current atmosphere in this anime.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Aphorism 146

Haha! You've posted it in here, eh?! Well, if that all comes true. You must edit it and put a spoiler tag in it in the near future. If and if only it will become true. ^^
May 3, 2008 5:11 PM

Mar 2008
Ok, I know Lulus plan against Maos bomb was great and all.. but wouldn't it be smarter just to put down your hand on that weight in order to disarm the bomb? Those were the rules right?
there were other things like: How can Mao setup such a complicated bomb around a school without no1 noticing? That rly disturbed me

....=) I can keep going but you'll get the point. Thats why I disliked this episode :<
May 5, 2008 11:17 PM

Jul 2007
Yeh.. totally retarded episode, too bad I can't score it lower than 1.

- could just push the balance on this side with his hands
- could tell Mao to just die instead of shutting up

the balance part was really stupid
May 14, 2008 12:28 AM

Jan 2008
Lol, wtf mao didn't die from before?
As other people said, Mao setting that complex bomb up without anyone knowing is bull.
Just push the damn scale with your stupid hands. And why didn't C.C show up earlier?
May 26, 2008 5:04 PM
Jul 2018
Wow... so many loop holes in the story. When did Suzaku become Chuck Norris? He kicked that machine gun right off its hinges... And like others suggested, Lulu could have just put his hands on the scale...
Jun 12, 2008 5:21 PM

Jun 2008
lol looks like I wasn't the only one who was thinking about just pushing the scale down.... that was slightly retarded... Lulu's supposed to be SMART!! =_="

But at least that bastard Mao died!!! That was just mean.. to kidnap Nanaly T_T

And Suzaku's a murderer.... we all kinda already knew that.... but he murdered his FATHER?? He's such a damn hypocrite!!! Talking about peace and crap.... Twisted O.O

And I know!!! What human can just dodge a machine gun then jump like 8 feet in the air and kick a camera off a metal thing that attached it to the ceiling and then land.... UNHARMED?? Seriously -_-

StabbyPWNSJun 20, 2008 5:19 AM

Sig WILL change soon~
Jun 20, 2008 3:04 AM

May 2008
O_____o Suzaku's starting to impress me,really.

And why do I have the feeling that all of the characters in this anime are immortal or something? Everyone thought they've seen the end of that annoying Mao dude...at least this time we can be certain he's dead.
Jul 17, 2008 10:50 AM

Jul 2008
i liked it!!

Lelouch's smarts in that episode reminds me of Yagami-Light from Death Note, but not quite that smart yet ;)
Jul 28, 2008 12:52 AM

Jul 2008
Hah, I'm sure hoping there's going to be some explanation to Suzaku's super-human moves - but I did like the twist revealed by his back story.

I must say when I saw Mao rock up again I was quite peeved, the anime dropped quite a few ratings by pulling off such a cheap stunt to recycle a character who by all means should have died.

But since they killed him off (what seems like for real) this time, all is forgiven.
Aug 10, 2008 12:08 AM

Apr 2008
I loved seeing more about Suzaku's life. Great episode! ^_^
Aug 10, 2008 4:07 PM

Dec 2007
Damnit, I liked Mao. Naturally, Code Geass kills off the character I actually liked out of this mostly awful cast...twice.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2008 2:05 AM

Mar 2008
CCZilla said:
Damnit, I liked Mao. Naturally, Code Geass kills off the character I actually liked out of this mostly awful cast...twice.

It doesnt look like CC killed him, just injected him with something i think, so maybe hes just sleeping XD

Aug 23, 2008 3:34 PM
Dec 2007
traed said:
CCZilla said:

It doesnt look like CC killed him, just injected him with something i think, so maybe hes just sleeping XD

And we call this "wishfull thinking" He got killed, deal with it.

Aug 25, 2008 8:01 AM

May 2008
good episode.
Aug 28, 2008 1:37 PM
Apr 2008
Amazing.. This series is so good... Mao is wonderfully insane, and Lelouch's plans defy logic, but are so damn clever. But now Mao's dead... or is he? I actually don't know :P

Sep 9, 2008 2:08 PM

Mar 2008
Wonderful episode. It's really a good thing Mao is dead, he was really annoying. Poor Suzaku, he killed his father by accident... that explains a lot.
Sep 18, 2008 9:50 AM

Nov 2007
traed said:
CCZilla said:

that was just a gun with a silencer, the nob's dead
Sep 18, 2008 4:05 PM

Jul 2008
lostty said:
Once again lelouch proves just how smart he is! Great episode!

And once again Suzaku proves just how much a hypocrite, naive guy he is or he's in self denial which isnt good for his health or brain if he has one.

Mao become my 2nd fav guy in cg cause he spoke the truth about Suzaku since other than Lelouch all other guys in cg just stinks
LangSep 18, 2008 4:09 PM
Nov 7, 2008 9:29 PM

Oct 2008
This episode really disappointed me. As cool as Lelouch using the Geass on himself was, why the hell didn't he just push the black pendulum down and beat the shit out of Mao? Code Geass just went down a few points in my book, I've constantly seen things that could've been pulled off better but this was just too much to ignore.
<('-'<) <( '-' )> (>'-')>
Dec 9, 2008 7:07 AM

Oct 2008
Koryu said:
This episode really disappointed me. As cool as Lelouch using the Geass on himself was, why the hell didn't he just push the black pendulum down and beat the shit out of Mao? Code Geass just went down a few points in my book, I've constantly seen things that could've been pulled off better but this was just too much to ignore.

I agree. Poor episode.
Dec 22, 2008 4:09 PM

Dec 2008
If this wasn't Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch, I might actually believe that Mao is really dead, but from what we've seen so far...

I don't think getting nailed by about 10 policemen with hand guns, whacked by Suzaku and then shot in the head at point blank range by CC is enough to permanently kill him off.

"Thank goodness Britannia has good medicine!"

Still, I think people who criticise the realism of the episode are being a bit harsh ; it was quite a nice trick for Lelouch to use the Geas on himself, even if just hitting the scale might have been the more realistic solution ^^.

To defend it realistically, Mao was armed of course; Lalouch might have felt he had no choice but to play by his rules.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Jan 11, 2009 5:00 PM

Sep 2008
that's some great thinking lelouch!
Feb 2, 2009 9:29 AM

Mar 2008
Mao resurrected >.< boo! but at least he should have properly died this time seeing as C.C shot him in the head *fingers crossed* I was so hoping I'd never have to hear that clapping ever again.. =__=;;

though wow for Suzaku's past! D: I was not expecting him to have killed his father.. though from the looks of it it he didn't mean to actually kill him, so probably would count as manslaughter rather than murder. and also wow for Suzaku being able to dodge bullets and kick a camera + machine gun from the cieling >w< makes me wonder why they even bothered to give him a knightmare xDD

..though I think Lelouch might regret using the geass on himself seeing as he can only use it once on the same person.. also thought he was trusting C.C alot by using his one shot at the geass on Mao to tell him to 'shut up' rather than 'die' which would have been my personal choice |3
Mar 11, 2009 1:49 PM
Mar 2008
Lol! Mao looks so stupid when he claps like that xD
Mar 22, 2009 2:08 PM

Nov 2008
finally Mao died.. lol..
Tosi yst&auml;vyys ei j&auml;&auml;dy pakkasella! Thank you for your visit. Welcome again!
Apr 28, 2009 8:07 PM

Jun 2008
woah!!!! ok. .that was something... about suzaku.. he killed his dad!?!?!? unexpected... good thing mao's gone.. with that stupid clapping of his...
Jun 5, 2009 6:40 PM

Jul 2008
Wow I'm really impressed with this series, it's one of the best i've watched in a long time. I didn't mind Mao so much...yes him and his frickin hand clapping were really annoying but he did have a point. the only think i'm not liking about this anime so far is how Mao somehow survived, but hey nothings perfect
Jul 19, 2009 12:00 AM

Jan 2009
Suzaku's wall-ride machine gun kick was pretty badass.

Jul 20, 2009 8:23 PM
Jul 2009
even though this is a kinda older thread, i wonder is mao truly dead, assuming that the only reason he never made a comeback was because the writers had no reason to put him back in, he shouldn't have died. Assuming that all of the arguments I've read as to why
Aug 7, 2009 2:05 PM

Jun 2009
Its not a bad series. But its just that after 16 epi I just don't see why this is scoring so high on the anime board. There is a quite developed plot line packed with action, but on the overall it's not as great as the ratings would suggest. Also I found it difficult to bond with the characters since Lulu's persona is the only one properly developed. The battle plans aren't that elaborate and we slide over details easily - almost a childish anime in a way.

But still, as compared to other animes I've seen, I'd still nevertherless have to give this a 9. Well so far its a 9 for me anyway.
Aug 17, 2009 5:44 PM
Jul 2009
Didn't he make the plan to use the Geass on himself before he knew about the chess game? So he wouldn't have known about the scale, plus any wrong move and Mao could've been holding a detonator and Lelouch isn't rash...

I thought you could use the Geass on the same person, just not in succession?
Oct 8, 2009 12:44 AM

Oct 2009
ay yi yi..so much like deathnote =o its still good though =D

Oct 18, 2009 2:46 PM

Sep 2009
That Mao guy really gets on my nerves, he got what he deserved!
Poor Suzaku, my poor Suzaku!
Dec 23, 2009 4:58 PM

Jul 2009
Kotori said:
- could just push the balance on this side with his hands
This.

Kotori said:
- could tell Mao to just die instead of shutting up
But Mao had his glasses on, so it wouldn't affect him.
Jan 16, 2010 8:18 PM

Nov 2008
This is filled twists and turns. I think I have an idea of what will happen next but still.

And the fact that the other guy killed his own father, that was unexpected but it does explain somethings.
Feb 25, 2010 1:53 AM

Feb 2010
This series is driving me insane. I have no idea whether or not I'm enjoying it.

In particular Suzaku's machine gun dodging, giant trap disarming, and Mao's gun dodging skills were just TOO over the top. Unless there is some kind of revelation of him being genetically enhanced or something further in, that was just too over the top for me.

So I'm sitting here feeling disatisfied and then Mao drops the revelation about Suzaku's past. The character is deeper than I expected, and the show is fairly good at expressing the emotional turmoil.

3/5 for the episode, and the show's at 6/10 so far.
Feb 25, 2010 1:58 AM

Feb 2010
Oh and for the people saying Lelouch could have just cheated and hurled himself at the disarm end of the balance: I thought Lelouch assumed the disarm might be a fake and/or Mao had a way of remote detonating. The risk to his sister (anything more than 0) was too great.
Mar 2, 2010 9:27 AM

Nov 2009
Mao is dead. Let's hope that this time definitely.
Suzaku entering the scene through the window was awesome.
Mar 14, 2010 10:05 PM

Mar 2010
another point for C.C., for killing that Mao
Apr 19, 2010 6:04 AM

Nov 2008
LOL Lloyd...
"Let's get hitched."
"That's fast"
"Well, let's not, then"
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chilli-Kun - Apr 11, 2008

276 by CobraNotKatsura »»
Apr 23, 8:37 AM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

babykeiji - Feb 22, 2008

122 by shakinfuture2 »»
Apr 11, 4:51 AM

» Code Geass is an omnipandering anime ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 3

69 by AnimSr »»
Mar 31, 4:09 AM

Poll: » Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Feb 18, 2007

142 by Ja_LYMPIK »»
Mar 17, 3:39 AM

Poll: » Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Xinil - Feb 6, 2007

191 by yulek »»
Mar 11, 3:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.