Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 9, 2012 2:09 PM
Apr 2011
Hey guys,
I've read the other question thread here but it still doesnt help me :S
Would appreciate if somebody could answer a couple of questions for me:

1) When we talk about Shiki awakening, is this after her 2 year coma or does this happen afterwards?

2) Araya wants Shiki to awaken so he can reach the origin, How will she facilitate this?

3) What exactly is a counter? How does using Shiki protect Araya from the counter?

4) Why does Araya want to destroy the world? I can't seem to understand his logic.

5) It is said a couple of times that Tomoe Enjoe's love for his family foiled Araya's plan, but I don't see how? could somebody please explain this?

Cheers!
CrazyFoolJun 9, 2012 2:14 PM
Jun 9, 2012 7:05 PM

Feb 2009
I actually just rewatched the entire thing recently after reading the novel a while ago so I'll bite. Obviously, spoilers.

>1) When we talk about Shiki awakening, is this after her 2 year coma or does this happen afterwards?

When Araya says this he's talking about awakening her to her origin. Her Mystic Eyes are a manifestation of that but she doesn't know the true nature behind it, that she's essentially created from the beginning to be an embodiment of the root/spiral of origin.

From the "third Shiki" in the epilogue:

>2) Araya wants Shiki to awaken so he can reach the origin, How will she facilitate this?

He can't get there himself, he's been trying for hundreds of years and his experiment in the apartment building hasn't been successful. Since she's already connected directly via the body itself he wants to transplant himself into her body and use her connection instead.

From the novel:

>3) What exactly is a counter? How does using Shiki protect Araya from the counter?

The counter force/deterrent/however it was translated in the version you watched is essentially like the collective will of humanity (and also spit into the will of the world to maintain its existence) to maintain a consensus reality (ie not allowing things like magecraft that distort natural laws to persist. This is why in other Nasu works you can have a Reality Marble which overwrites everything within an area but it will always be overwhelmed quickly and fall apart because it completely rewrites the natural order) and avoid destruction. It attempts to stop anyone trying to reach Akasha because that would essentially give omnipotence to one person and they could do whatever they want. Since Shiki is connected from birth there's no reason for it to act. Even though that connection is unnatural, once it's already complete, it's just a matter of using it.

>4) Why does Araya want to destroy the world? I can't seem to understand his logic.
He's a man obsessed. He couldn't find salvation for himself and in the world as a whole he saw people who lived and died with no meaning or compensation. So he's obsessed with seeing the big picture of all humanity because he hopes the meaningless will have meaning viewed from a grander scale.

From the novel:

5) It is said a couple of times that Tomoe Enjoe's love for his family foiled Araya's plan, but I don't see how? could somebody please explain this?

Basically Enjou was ready to run in and die for Ryougi which would have accomplished nothing, and that's what Araya predicted he would do, because she's the only thing he has left. This is why Mikiya makes that detour, to get him to fight also for himself and his family that was destroyed, and to fight with a plan instead of recklessly running in. He also brings that old sword, which she's more talented with than a knife. Older things have more weight to their existence in the Nasuverse, which helps explain why the sword was important to kill someone who is also really old, among other things. If he had just run in there and died in the lobby she wouldn't even have a knife. Araya let him run away the second time because he assumed he would either be too scared to come back or even if he did he would just die worthlessly, based on his origin.
Jun 11, 2012 4:52 PM
Apr 2011
Godamnit man, Thanks so much!

Just a couple more questions:

How exactly are the mystic eyes related to the origin? how can they facilitate the journey to akasha?

and secondly, how do them two girl that Araya sent at shiki aide his plan? I don't queit get that.

Thanks again chief!
Jun 11, 2012 10:24 PM

Feb 2009
CrazyFool said:
Godamnit man, Thanks so much!

Just a couple more questions:

How exactly are the mystic eyes related to the origin? how can they facilitate the journey to akasha?

and secondly, how do them two girl that Araya sent at shiki aide his plan? I don't queit get that.

Thanks again chief!

The eyes are really just a side effect of her connection to the root. This is why the coma is important. Being in that coma for so long, staring into nothingness just gave her the ability to comprehend the eventual end and return to the origin of everything. That's why she couldn't see the lines before, the comprehension is necessary to use the eyes that way.

My understanding of that part of his plan is basically as follows. For one thing she's not going to be easy to disable and capture, Araya himself loses a body doing it even in the apartment building, plus he doesn't want to take any direct action outside of his building because of the counter force and also because he's significantly weaker if he's not inside the building. So he gives those two a little push knowing she'll end up involved in the situation. The most obvious reason for this being if one of them can disable her he can take her body. But also, and this is more ambiguous but seems to be implied, especially in the book: Shiki is the embodiment of the Taijitu, 2 opposing souls combined into one in a single body. If you look at Fujyou she has one soul and two bodies (her sick body and her floating sort of astral projection body) while Asagami has a soul but can be thought of like she almost has no body thanks to her lack of sensation. So I think it's sort of a hint to her, to see what the difference between her and them is.

That which is discordant.
That which is hated.
That which is intolerable.
Accept these things and all others, and never know pain.
That which is harmonious.
That which is desired.
That which is permitted.
Reject these things and all others, and know nothing but pain.
One affirms, one denies.
Between two hearts lies the hollow.
Between two minds lies emptiness.
Between two souls, I reside.

As far as awakening an origin we see both Araya and Lio have awakened origins, and as Touko says the weight of all their past lives is forced into their present, changing them into something not quite human. The cool thing about this with Shiki, though, is that with an origin of nothingness which can't exist in a living human naturally, even with an awakened origin she's still a singular kind of existence. There wouldn't even be past incarnations like that.

Also kind of interesting, in the scene where Araya captures her he says something about recalling her name; this is because she is literally named for exactly what she is. Ryougi(両儀) as Touko mentions at some point refers to the two equal opposites, the yin and yang that make up the Taijitu, while Shiki (式) can mean something like method or equation.

Hope that helps you understand it a bit better.
JOHJJun 11, 2012 10:58 PM
Mar 17, 2013 5:09 AM

Feb 2010
It sure does :3
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Nov 11, 2013 11:28 PM

Nov 2009
Thanks JOHJ :). I found your explanations helpful.
Dec 2, 2013 3:30 PM

Nov 2012
Ooh, that explains why Araya can move freely in that building. If you were to make an analogy to it with another Nasu work, Fate/Stay Night, it works like a big Reality Marble, similar to Fate Zero's Rider.

Conversely, we could say that counter-force probably exists also in other Nasu works, but then again I might be wrong.

Ok, this explanation might really make me wrap up my convictions to this series and give the movie a 9! Thanks!
SeaJaegerDec 2, 2013 3:33 PM

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Dec 29, 2013 7:13 PM

Apr 2013
As someone unfamiliar with the Nasu universe, thanks for the explanations!
Powerful eyebrows.
Dec 30, 2013 6:49 PM

Oct 2013
What I exactly needed, thx for this discussion.
Life is a song - sing it.
Life is a game - play it.
Life is a challenge - meet it.
Life is a dream - realize it.
Life is a sacrifice - offer it.
Life is love - enjoy it.
Oct 12, 2016 7:54 PM
Jun 2016
I know this is quite old, but thank you JOHJ, you cleared up almost every single lingering and unclear question I had after watching part 5, and you did so by expanding on the movie with important quotes from the source material! A+ stuff, thank you so much if you ever see this post!!!

More topics from this board

» OMG FIRST PLACE ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

5layer - Feb 2, 2009

963 by Zoshlog »»
Mar 14, 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kara no Kyoukai 5: Mujun Rasen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dtshyk - Aug 22, 2008

507 by FZREMAKE »»
Jul 31, 2023 3:39 PM

» why peaple gave this episode low rate to be lower than it deserve? this episode is masterpiece

RCvvvv - Sep 17, 2022

17 by Phloup »»
Sep 17, 2022 4:03 PM

Poll: » which is the best ost from ufotable

filthyfrank8142 - Feb 4, 2022

6 by JJxy »»
Mar 29, 2022 5:58 AM

» best plot twist in anime history?

sabervergarden - Feb 12, 2021

10 by asaryo420 »»
Feb 4, 2022 11:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.