Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 9, 2012 6:50 AM
Oct 2010
The movie was great, with sense bearing plot and lots of folklore symbols. The only thing that stroke me was the pregnant woman marked as "greedy"! She ate the fish simply because she had a baby inside and was starving! And she was punished, wasn't it unfair?
Jul 31, 2013 11:42 AM
Oct 2012
just watched this old school movie o.k. for when it was made do not know what japanesse god punished her for eating 2 fish but i sure hope he moved on when!
Mar 13, 2015 7:12 PM

Apr 2012
I challenge anyone to come up with a harsher punishment for eating 3 fish.

Good movie though, good characters, testicles and tits.
Oct 23, 2016 2:32 AM

Feb 2014
Arrvilja said:
The movie was great, with sense bearing plot and lots of folklore symbols. The only thing that stroke me was the pregnant woman marked as "greedy"! She ate the fish simply because she had a baby inside and was starving! And she was punished, wasn't it unfair?

Yeah, if she's greedy for eating 3 damn fish, then what about the old hag? She conned an entire village into working for her and then not only did she not pay them, but also starved them by hoarding every single grain of rice that they worked hard for several months to grow.

But regardless, this was a fun little movie that felt like a bedtime story that your grandmother would tell you.

And Taro's mom sure died in quite a gruesome way. Taro held onto her horns so hard that he ended up pulling them out, her scales and spines began to fall off, and her skin got blown off in several places, causing her ribs to get exposed. But glad she was able to "redeem" herself in the end, and was able to go back to being a human.
Dec 11, 2016 12:23 AM

Dec 2015
A cute tale about the duties toward the community. Beautiful sumie-like backgrounds in cinemascope. A great way to discover this folktale.

Enjoyment: 5/5
Score: 8/10

Arrvilja said:
The only thing that stroke me was the pregnant woman marked as "greedy"! She ate the fish simply because she had a baby inside and was starving! And she was punished, wasn't it unfair?

I guess it was about the duties toward one's community. Here, she put herself or her future baby before the village. In the same way, her son didn't care about the global sake but learned a sense of it through his coming-of-age travel. At the end the mother redeemed herself by finally putting the population above her own life.
Oct 19, 2021 10:45 PM

May 2017
I feel like most people here are missing the point. She told her story and then Taro immediately refutes the blame by saying it's a sad punishment that only exists because they're all struggling for food. The movie is saying that it's cruel and unfair that something as simple as eating three fish resulted in this punishment. And then they work together to lift all the people of the villages out of poverty. That's my interpretation at least.
Apr 4, 12:41 PM
Feb 2022
This movie great and I don't get why even people who are sympathetic towards this movie have such a hard time getting it and I don't think that the reviews or the score do it any justice.
It might be the generation gap and the fact that people of this age are used to ridiculously fast-pased, mindless, over-sexualized shows that makes it hard for them to engage with anything "old" (so probably anything made before 2010) but this really isn't a hard to watch/understand movie and it's not even cheesy or badly animated.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tatsu no Ko Tarou Episode 1 Discussion

greebo - Aug 25, 2017

1 by Berry-Vodka »»
Sep 8, 2020 2:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.