Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 7, 2012 4:07 PM

Mar 2012
SHIT JUST GOT REAL

Shame there's only 2 more episodes left. This episode almost has me sold on reading the manga
Jun 7, 2012 4:40 PM

Apr 2011
Too bad they probably wont animate the Flask Plan arc :c
Jun 7, 2012 4:52 PM

Jun 2009
So it turns out that Perses mode is actually Kaioken.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jun 7, 2012 4:58 PM

Aug 2007
O.o Medaka with red hair... Its true, She is a Monster who survived at the bombs. Really amazing. Now waiting for the next episode.
Jun 7, 2012 6:37 PM

Jul 2008
Njs_Fluffy said:
Too bad they probably wont animate the Flask Plan arc :c

I think that they are just testing the water with this first season. Rarely would studio start with the intention of making a long running serie, except for secondhand studio that animate your usual long running shounen.
If the sales are good then we can pretty much expect a second season and since Medaka box has been well received and that NisiOisin is the storywriter of the manga I guess that we can expect good sale, but that isn't a given yet.

Actually for those that think that the genre shift is weird, I'll say that Medaka Box was meant from the start to be a battle shounen and that even if it feel akward the first time, NisiOisin has proven that he has the ability to write a very awesome battle shounen.

Kumagawa arc and Anshin arc, let's hope for it.

Also I hope I wasn't the only one that didn't expect red or any different color for Perses mode? I mean... I always thought it was a much lighter version of her normal hair color, like if her hair was turning closer to white but still had it's color. I think that the light red feel weird.
Jun 7, 2012 9:17 PM

Jul 2011
kinda felt like index with all these speeches followed by punches. I hope there is an interesting explanation for the powerup as well. With two episodes left I really can't tell how they're going to end this, they have to at least make this a 24 episode series to end on a good note, but I have no idea if we'll see a second season.
Jun 7, 2012 11:09 PM

Jul 2009
What chapter are we on? I think I'm going to pick up the manga.

Nvm found it - chapter 19.
KurogashiJun 7, 2012 11:20 PM
Jun 7, 2012 11:44 PM

Jul 2008
Curb Stomp Battle commencing LOL
Jun 7, 2012 11:51 PM

Aug 2010
Well, it seems like me wish is going to come true and the good guys will do some serious asskicking. 4/5, it sure went by fast and ended just at the right time.
Jun 8, 2012 1:06 AM

Oct 2011
This is such a disappointing episode. Seriously? War God Mode? lol
Jun 8, 2012 1:50 AM

Nov 2011
So her hair was a DBZ reference, shalugan no shana was what first popped into my mind actually

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jun 8, 2012 2:21 AM

Jan 2010
Thalandor46 said:
I alluded to it last week, but I think I understand it better after this episode. Unzen is a really bad villain. He's evil for the sake of being evil, and hates humans cause they're bad. His overly weak logic only brings me to roll my eyes even more at everything he does.

He is the polar opposite of Medaka, who is exactly what you described. If one were to rewrite this like so...

Medaka is a really bad heroine. She's good for the sake of being good, and loves humans cause they're good. Her overly weak logic only brings me to roll my eyes even more at everything she does.

...it works quite well, yeah?
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Jun 8, 2012 2:31 AM

Apr 2008
But she's written that way intentionally. That's her role in things.
Jun 8, 2012 4:06 AM

May 2010
Everything is alright but....why did her hair colour change???& what about the school?How is it going to cover the damage they caused.Oh,I forgot its Medaka chan so I guess its normal.Completely normal,.
Jun 8, 2012 5:48 AM

Jun 2010
BlueKite said:
This is such a disappointing episode. Seriously? War God Mode? lol

Wow, are you going to hate the rest of the series ;) No, really, it goes all "supernatural" combat from here. It's great for me though, so maybe you should check out the manga and see for yourself.

What surprised me in this episode was the hair color changing to pink. Wasn't it black in the manga? I thought the hair being BLACK (KURO) in the War GOD (KAMI) Mode was pretty important or at least meaningful...?

Oh well, it looks impressive, so it doesn't bother me that much. The rug thing too, kinda silly, but works, I guess. If they went with the manga version they wouldn't be able to show the Student Council room collapsing in an epic way.

And yeah, the best part was Unzen flying through the buiding and the BGM was pretty good.
Jun 8, 2012 7:31 AM

Sep 2007
Finally two good episodes/
Jun 8, 2012 8:54 AM
Nov 2008
NavyCherub said:
He is the polar opposite of Medaka, who is exactly what you described. If one were to rewrite this like so...

Medaka is a really bad heroine. She's good for the sake of being good, and loves humans cause they're good. Her overly weak logic only brings me to roll my eyes even more at everything she does.

Admittedly, I hadn't thought that highly of Medaka for the significant majority of the series. However, her personality has enough quirks and twists to keep her reasonably unpredictable, which for the purposes of a comedy series is plenty. Unzen, on the other hand, has been so straightforward and dull since he's been introduced, which adds nothing of value to a comedy series, nor does it really bring any excitement towards whatever genre the show is apparently shifting to.

Like I said before, Unzen just doesn't feel like he fits in the universe. I dunno, maybe I'm just stuck on Medaka Box being a comedy. There's certainly a chance that he'll grow on me, but as it stands, I just don't enjoy his character.
Jun 8, 2012 9:21 AM

Apr 2008
Thalandor46 said:
NavyCherub said:

Admittedly, I hadn't thought that highly of Medaka for the significant majority of the series. However, her personality has enough quirks and twists to keep her reasonably unpredictable, which for the purposes of a comedy series is plenty. Unzen, on the other hand, has been so straightforward and dull since he's been introduced, which adds nothing of value to a comedy series, nor does it really bring any excitement towards whatever genre the show is apparently shifting to.

Like I said before, Unzen just doesn't feel like he fits in the universe. I dunno, maybe I'm just stuck on Medaka Box being a comedy. There's certainly a chance that he'll grow on me, but as it stands, I just don't enjoy his character.

Hahaha you think Unzen's bad? Two Words. Kumagawa Misogi.
Jun 8, 2012 11:56 AM

Jul 2008
Darklight0303 said:
Thalandor46 said:
NavyCherub said:

Kumagawa is fucking awesome, Unzen isn't.
Jun 8, 2012 12:07 PM

Oct 2011
eworm said:

What surprised me in this episode was the hair color changing to pink. Wasn't it black in the manga? I thought the hair being BLACK (KURO) in the War GOD (KAMI) Mode was pretty important or at least meaningful...?

Let us manga readers not forget:
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Jun 8, 2012 12:53 PM

Jan 2008
So much fun. Go go go! Poor Unzen.
Jun 8, 2012 1:33 PM

May 2012
this has just inspired me to read the manga

Jun 8, 2012 1:57 PM

Apr 2008
Maddo_scientisto said:
Darklight0303 said:
Thalandor46 said:
NavyCherub said:

Kumagawa is fucking awesome, Unzen isn't.

Well can't argue there XD
Jun 8, 2012 2:13 PM
Jun 2012
Isn't Medaka's hair suppose to turn light purple when she goes into Perses Mode? At least, that's what happens in the manga. Truthfully, I am quite mad that her hair turns pink... :(
Jun 8, 2012 4:04 PM

Jul 2008
Comusus said:
Isn't Medaka's hair suppose to turn light purple when she goes into Perses Mode? At least, that's what happens in the manga. Truthfully, I am quite mad that her hair turns pink... :(

That's what I thought too but there hasn't been one official artwork of Medaka in perses mode in color. In the manga it pass from gray to a lighter gray so it's not really possible to say =/.
Jun 8, 2012 6:02 PM

Jul 2008
Epic episode.

One thing really annoys me though. Even if the Disciplinary Committee doens't have to adhere to teachers or any authority so they can carry out justice without bias, it still makes no sense that they can destroy buildings in the school or kill students in the name of "justice". There has to be a line somewhere.

Also, Unzen is only like 10 years old. He knows nothing about life and hearing him preach his philosophy is really annoying.
Jun 8, 2012 8:59 PM

Jul 2009
again, no one died in the whole series so far.

Dodgers20 said:
Onii said:
Dropped.

I would do the same if I wouldn't be interested in the ever mentioned genre-shift, but I'm not convienced so far, since I can't help but feel that the last two episodes felt extremely disjointed and out of place compared to the rest of the series. That is fairly much given on my end how the creator HAD to change genres in order to keep the manga alive, but at this point it feels like the creator read a few shounen mangas, and decided to do the same kind of story, hoping that'l make the series successful.

Nisio Isin's two previous animated works: bake/nisemonogatari, and Katanagatari

both involves comedy/supernatural/fighting.
are you expecting anything different? If anything Medaka's crazy abilities in the early episodes are huge hints of what might happen. Pay attention to the dialogues between her and Unzen, it's the key to both character's developments.
Jun 8, 2012 9:17 PM

Jul 2008
GarLogan78 said:
Epic episode.

One thing really annoys me though. Even if the Disciplinary Committee doens't have to adhere to teachers or any authority so they can carry out justice without bias, it still makes no sense that they can destroy buildings in the school or kill students in the name of "justice". There has to be a line somewhere.

Also, Unzen is only like 10 years old. He knows nothing about life and hearing him preach his philosophy is really annoying.

They do not have that kind of authority, Unzen even asked the rest of the disciplinary committee to go back home and think about an alibi since he was going to go overboard.
Unzen's action are extreme and are indeed illegal, if it was in another school it wouldn't pass.

This school... is not a normal school and I guess that it would solve many problem if people thought about it as a closed area, a rat cage with people influent enough to make the worst attrocity that could happen here not leave the schoolground.

Also about Unzen being 10, very slight spoiler
Jun 9, 2012 4:17 AM

Jan 2012
Darklight0303 said:

Actually it was intended all along. It's revealed in the second ark. The Flask Plan. So really your analysis so far is completely flawed

It is? Apparently I missed something when I thought Nisio didn't even thought about implementing the shounen genre when the manga started, and he switched over because the sales were low. But even so, this doesn't change my impression that the execution of the genre change was lackluster, because just by watching the anime version, it seemed exactly like he came up with the shounen elements later on.

jeroz said:

Nisio Isin's two previous animated works: bake/nisemonogatari, and Katanagatari. Both involves comedy/supernatural/fighting. Are you expecting anything different?

I've only seen Bake/Nise yet, but I did expected something different from this series. I wouldn't even believe that Bake/Nise, and Medaka Box were created by the same person if I wouldn't look it up here on MAL, because judging only from the anime version, the overall quality of the presentation feels that much different for me. Granted, I do like Nisio's style of characters and storytelling in Bake (Nise was a letdown), but this series has nothing sort of Nisio in it, and maybe that's the thing I dislike the most in this series. Because without it, the series just doesn't appeal to me, from the uninteresting characters and the unappealing story to the random mishmash of ideas thrown in to keep up the "tension". Sure, having a genre change in a show is good in some cases, but only when it's so good that it doesn't seem like a random attempt on the creator's part to make his show appealing after a lackluster kickoff, ie. he is able to connect the genres in a way that the change in the second half is effective/radical, but it still doesn't gives off a vibe that the creator just pulled it out of his ass because the manga didn't do that well. And that's the case here, I rolled my eyes watching episode 9 and 10 countless times, just because how things were disjointed and uninspired. The crowning moment was Medaka's lame War God Mode, even though it was good seeing her Falcon Punching Unzen's you-know-what, given how irritating Unzen is.

jeroz said:

If anything Medaka's crazy abilities in the early episodes are huge hints of what might happen.

And that's exactly where I'm coming from: the connection between of the first and the second genres is so weakly established that her previous antics doesn't even seem like any indicators for future events even in retrospect, partially because the plot pampered Medaka so much it sucked the appeal out of her uniqeness when it comes to abilities. Now I DO agree that the show has to make her powers apparent in one way or another in the beginning, but it doesn't work that very well when basically every episode in the first genre is just praising Medaka's perfection with such detail it becomes tiresome after two episodes, and makes future developments much less effective. And not just her character development, but the overall appeal of her character is lacking because of the overuse of "perfection". It's like Nisio was like "See? See? She's perfect, so be suprised when it turns out she's not perfect, okay?".

It is true that was hinted at the very beginning that class 13 is the "home" for the freaks of the school, but the way the show was executed in the first eight episodes, I can't help but suspect that the whole class 13 concept was not like this when Nisio started the manga, but he changed things around later on so he could implement the shounen elements in one way or another.

jeroz said:

Pay attention to the dialogues between her and Unzen, it's the key to both character's developments.

Again, I would care about Medaka's character development (let me guess: deep down she's in fact a despotic ruler due to some childhood trauma) if the anime wouldn't tried to show it down that Medaka is in fact just about the most perfect creation of the universe. You know, less is more sometimes.
Jun 9, 2012 5:54 AM

Jul 2009
Dodgers20 said:

Again, I would care about Medaka's character development if the anime wouldn't tried to show it down that Medaka is in fact just about the most perfect creation of the universe. You know, less is more sometimes.

you said so yourself already, Medaka is not perfect. Even with her 98% physical attributes, there's always something wrong with her character. Whether it's her utmost belief that everyone is good, or her inability to acknowledge the impact of her aura, or the tendency to take the burden on herself, those seemingly saint-like traits is actually her biggest flaws. The dialogue between her and Unzen showed exactly what it is.

Again, maybe Nisio didn't originally intended for it to go in this direction, but the transition is believable in hindsight since they explained a lot of the questions in the first few chapters. Besides, didn't you say that Medaka is too perfect? so why hate a story when she is no longer portrayed as "that perfect student president"?

Maybe it's the flaw of the way the anime version presented her, but it's clear in the manga that something is not right in the early chapters.

Dodgers20 said:
(let me guess: deep down she's in fact a despotic ruler due to some childhood trauma).

Nisio Isin actually got a very funny twist to that. But that's way down the track.
Jun 9, 2012 8:18 AM

May 2012
@dodgers20

well your dissatisfaction with medaka's "perfection" is part of the plot through some of the students/characters views.

also, as said by medaka in the ep, she's only doing what she believes is right, even if it involves punching a kid through a building or reforming people as she sees fit

i'd also say there's a good amount of foreshadowing, subtle as it may be, from hitoyoshi's comment to kouki in the judo room when he is introduced about harassing underclassmen. As to who kouki was associated with in middle school and who he harassed that goes past class 13, and then there is shiranui's conflict with medaka
EltrikJun 9, 2012 8:31 AM
Jun 9, 2012 8:49 AM
Aug 2011
War God Mode o_O
Jun 9, 2012 10:24 AM

Dec 2008
A pissed off Medaka makes sarroush go gaga! Gimme more!

The anime is muuuuuch better like this. I didn't give a f*ck to it before. Might actually read the manga now.
Jun 9, 2012 3:08 PM

Dec 2008
this is what ive been waiting for, and i hear it gets so much better too. it sucks that many impatient may have already written this show off completely, hopefully dvd/bd sales will be good enough to justify more past the next season
Jun 9, 2012 5:25 PM

Jul 2011
jeroz said:
again, no one died in the whole series so far.

Dodgers20 said:
Onii said:
Dropped.

I would do the same if I wouldn't be interested in the ever mentioned genre-shift, but I'm not convienced so far, since I can't help but feel that the last two episodes felt extremely disjointed and out of place compared to the rest of the series. That is fairly much given on my end how the creator HAD to change genres in order to keep the manga alive, but at this point it feels like the creator read a few shounen mangas, and decided to do the same kind of story, hoping that'l make the series successful.

Nisio Isin's two previous animated works: bake/nisemonogatari, and Katanagatari

both involves comedy/supernatural/fighting.
are you expecting anything different? If anything Medaka's crazy abilities in the early episodes are huge hints of what might happen. Pay attention to the dialogues between her and Unzen, it's the key to both character's developments.

This is almost nothing like Bake/Nise though (so far anyway).
Jun 9, 2012 9:19 PM

Feb 2012
The complete shift in genre for this series was totally unexpected. It went from a fun, comedy style anime to a Shounen anime with ridiculous powers.

Where are all these powers coming from? It wasn't hinted early in the series. I also can't believe a school would let some punk kid do whatever he wants. Even going as far as saying he'd kill Medaka. That's just silly.

Will take awhile for me to get used to this change. Will most likely read the manga once this series finishes.
Jun 9, 2012 9:37 PM

Jul 2008
Yvese said:
The complete shift in genre for this series was totally unexpected. It went from a fun, comedy style anime to a Shounen anime with ridiculous powers.

Where are all these powers coming from? It wasn't hinted early in the series. I also can't believe a school would let some punk kid do whatever he wants. Even going as far as saying he'd kill Medaka. That's just silly.

Will take awhile for me to get used to this change. Will most likely read the manga once this series finishes.

The thing is that you took all the feat medaka did since the start as an "exageration" because it was obviously a "comedy". This now come back to hit you in the face because everything Medaka did since day 1 was no exageration.

I'll tell you straight, both Unzen and Medaka are monsters. If Unzen is getting owned now it's just because Medaka is on a much higher scale than him but it doesn't change that he is also a being that can do incredible feat.

Also last thing, this school is not normal.
Jun 10, 2012 3:43 AM
Jun 2012
Yang94 said:
I'm still trying to figure out in what kind of weird ass world they live in and i'm trying to figure out the logic here... Aah forget it. Im going to read the manga. Only two eps left and I don't think they'll make a s2.

Feeling the same. What is going on here? Super transformations? Estoy confudido.
Jun 10, 2012 5:06 AM

Jul 2011
This show is making me crazy!

I really want to read the manga to know how the story continues but first I want to be 100% sure that there will not be a second season.
Jun 10, 2012 6:09 AM

Nov 2009
Finally Medaka War Mode, which we had a glimpse of in the end of OP, appears. Can't wait to see Medaka giving a beating to Unzen at full power. Though I think I would have preferred Shiranui kicking Unzen's ass. That would have been more fun.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...
Jun 10, 2012 12:50 PM

Mar 2008
Am i watching DBZ or Medaka Box? ;)
Jun 10, 2012 5:00 PM

Dec 2009
Medaka Box Z
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jun 10, 2012 5:20 PM

May 2012
Who else thought of dragon ball for a moment?
War god mode...
beep
Jun 11, 2012 12:53 AM

Jun 2010
I am so sad this show is only 12 episodes. Just caved and went on ahead in the manga for about 15 chapters and its starting to get really crazy!

Jun 11, 2012 8:40 AM

Jan 2012
jeroz said:
Besides, didn't you say that Medaka is too perfect? so why hate a story when she is no longer portrayed as "that perfect student president"?

If anything, I'm glad that the series finally stopped pampering Medaka (with the use of Zenkichi), and tries to go somewhere now that she doesn't have the time to deal with half-baked requests. But the problem on my end is that the show just doesn't appeal to me, with the addition of the aforementioned impression regarding the genre change. The characters are either annoying (Medaka/Unzen) or boring (rest), the humour lacks any kind of charm with the exception of some cases were I smiled a little, and the genre change feels forced and underdeveloped enough to think of it as a cheap attempt on making the show watchable, rather than a natural conclusion of the previous events. Maybe my expectations were high given the reason why I sticked to the show even though I sort of liked the first episode only (genre change that was praised by nearly everyone), but in the end I don't think it was worth watching it up to this point.

jeroz said:

Maybe it's the flaw of the way the anime version presented her, but it's clear in the manga that something is not right in the early chapters.

I'm basing my rant only on the anime version, so it's possible that the manga actually delivered her presentation better.

jeroz said:
Nisio Isin actually got a very funny twist to that. But that's way down the track.

Even though I'm dissapointed in the series, it's still good to hear that Nisio tries to spice things up a little.
Jun 12, 2012 1:04 AM

Nov 2007
I disliked this compared to the last couple episodes.

Unzen is just an annoying little brat. Not in an effective villain way. I just never want to see the stpid kid ever again.

Meh, don't care much for overpowered Medaka either. The story was more interesting focusing on the other 3 council members. more likeable than overpowered Medaka and Unzen the little shit kid.
Jun 12, 2012 5:49 PM

May 2011
Holy fuck... War God Mode, that pink raging hair looks awesome.
Jun 12, 2012 5:53 PM

Aug 2009
War God Mode = SS3 - the gold locks, and holy cow, do not piss her off.
Jun 12, 2012 6:47 PM

Jun 2008
Dodgers20 said:

jeroz said:

I'm basing my rant only on the anime version, so it's possible that the manga actually delivered her presentation better.
Actually it's not that clear in the manga either. It's only after you see the sudden genre shift that you can kind of look back and say, oh hey, there was a lot of fighting before this actually. Akune vs Zenkichi, swimming contest, kendo club, delinquent fights. But you can't tell at all that the story would do a sudden transition to a shonen action series (well it is on jump so that is the only indication) and not a slice of life.
Jun 13, 2012 5:01 PM

Jul 2009
This anime is turning into a big yawn because she’s overpowered. You know she’s going to beat the crap out of every foe and win every fight. There is no suspense. The only reason why I'm still watching this is because of the fan service.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Medaka Box Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 11, 2012

158 by RaidenSteiner »»
Oct 22, 2023 6:01 PM

» Moji, Mahibi

Ugliz - Mar 10, 2014

1 by gust4835 »»
Sep 4, 2023 8:20 AM

Poll: » Medaka Box Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ame_Sama - Apr 4, 2012

296 by Calithium »»
Jul 8, 2023 5:40 PM

Poll: » Medaka Box Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 18, 2012

99 by Hayley2877 »»
Dec 19, 2022 9:50 AM

» Any differences?

StaleNut - Nov 4, 2022

3 by StaleNut »»
Nov 4, 2022 6:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.