Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 9, 2014 2:41 AM

Aug 2011
lenaleelolita said:
Alright everyone! I have your answers, for those who are confused. The first is that, this whole time Fumito was doing everything he did for the benefit of Saya, no matter how misguided it was. What he was doing was originally keeping her from remembering her pact to never kill a human and to only kill a certain amount of elderbarens before she too has to stop but the number is dependent on how many elderbaren is still alive, meaning a decline in elderbaren means she is allowed to eat less and less until finally there are none left. He was hoping to harness her blood and start rebirthing the declining elderbaren through human vessels, so she can continue to eat, technically it was breaking the convenent that had she been in her right mind in the series would never have broken, it seems she is bound to not break it by nature if she were in her right mind which meant that she would have been doomed to death when she eats all of the elderbaren. Fumito didn't want this to happen so he kept her in a state of amnesia with false memories as he continued his experiments, never intending to let her regain her memories. When Kanako interfered and forced her memories back is when Fumito had to think of a new plan to keep her alive. Saya obviously unaware of his plans and intentions, only sees him as a cruel captor who made her live a lie and made her kill someone she deeply cared about which was her adoptive elderbaren/human father, and so she sought revenge on him. Fumito never gave her more than she could handle, even though it seemed cruel with the attacks it was never intended nor expected that she would die from any of it, he also loved to see her in action and enraged, but also enraged her for the sake of her possibly doing the "impossible" which would be to kill a human along the way of her wanting desperately for revenge. In the movie when he says after she killed the elderbaren he created out of himself and his cousin, that he wished he was human so that her curse would be lifted is meaning that he became an elderbaren and her killing him wouldn't do what he wanted which was to get her to feed on humans for survival, since there is a lot more humans. His punishment was to die knowing that he failed to prolong her life any further and without being able to finally break the curse of her species and being denied the ability to be with her while Saya wins by getting her revenge. This whole time it was about Saya and ensuring her survival and making her happy but in the process he had made her an enemy, a sacrifice he was willing to make to keep her alive. It's twisted but in his own weird, tough love kind of way, he really truly loved her and was willing to do anything for her.

I think you are spot on with this explanation. Also at the end, he says "You were supposed to avoid me". He was expecting Saya to move away from his kiss, but she didn't so she turned his punishment into a reward in the end. His punishment was failing to prolong her life and die, but he was able to hold her and kiss her before he died.

Saya states she's alone because the person she was seeking all this time is gone. She feels empty now, without purpose. I don't think she'd feel right for returning to the others, pretending to be human again like in Blood-C, so disappearing was her only choice.
Sep 23, 2014 3:28 AM

Nov 2012
Main thought after the movie: Is that all?

Good visuals but I prefer TV.
Oct 19, 2014 5:23 PM

Feb 2013
That was good! Loved the opening action sequence on the train. Final battle could have been a bit better though.

I was glued to the screen the entire movie.

Why oh why couldn't they have made the TV series even slightly like this? I don't think it's necessary to watch the TV series first. Actually, I'd recommend watching this first, and if you want the back-story go watch the awful series.

Edit 2014-12-31
Totally worth rewatching for the epic opening sequence. When Saya comes to the rescue and the music kicks in... yea, that's the spot.
BurntJellyDec 31, 2014 7:55 PM
Jan 30, 2015 7:52 AM

Jan 2014
Wow, I was blown away again with the movie. Except, this time it wasn't because of how utter crap it was, but rather how it was literally worlds apart from the series in every aspect. Characters, plot, animation quality, art style, choice of objects and environments, even physics, it was just miles beyond. I have truly never seen this big a difference between a corresponding series and movie. It made me think whether they hadn't just released the series as some poor concept trailer. I gave the series a 4 and the movie an 8.

Now, on the actual movie. Art and animation were truly amazing. Even the CGI came out OK, though I still dislike it. I also somewhat disliked the ending, not necessarily plot wise, but more the way it was executed. They could have left out mega mutated Fumito, especially considering how little more he was than a regular elder. The plot and characters, and more importantly their development during the course of the movie were solid and well paced (in contrast, the series had the worst pacing ever). Most of the questions from the series were answered, but plenty of new holes were opened. Some of them were clearly supposed to remain that way, as the movie clearly had an open ending by choice, but some other holes are still just holes.

LadyHepatica said:
lenaleelolita said:
Alright everyone! I have your answers, for those who are confused.

I think you are spot on with this explanation.

This helped me a lot too, though I got some points:

1. I don't think Fumito was born like Saya, I think he made himself that way to be with her, inadvertently undermining his own scheme as his death could no longer lift Saya's curse.

2. Considering Saya can hurt humans (just not kill them), and the implication that the curse would have been lifted if Fumito was human, whom she still would have been able to kill out of hatred, does that in turn not imply that Saya's promise is really nothing more than a promise, rather than an actual curse that physically prevents her from killing humans?

3. Throughout the movie, we never see Saya eating elders or drinking their blood. She also seems perfectly able to digest human foods. Does this not imply that she actually does NOT need elder blood for nourishment, but rather that it's 'merely' her raison d'être, though precisely because of that maybe also causing psychosomatic withdrawal symptoms if she goes without?

4. Saya seems to recognise the basement below the Mogari house. Was she perhaps the one signing/agreeing on the convenant on the elders side, and is that perhaps also her promise?

5. If so, did she made her promise to Fumito?

6. If not Fumito, who then wreaked havoc in the Mogari basement, and if it was Fumito, why?

7. Where does the real shrovetide come into play?

8. Why would the elders agree to the convenant to begin with, what did they have to gain from it?

9. What purpose did the curfew serve?

10. What payment is due and when, for the blade she received?

I will probably come up with more, and will post them if I do. Meanwhile, if anyone has any ideas about the above, please share them.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Jan 30, 2015 7:57 AM

Dec 2014
5/5.
Feb 27, 2015 3:29 AM

Jan 2014
Taken from the xxxHolic Rou thread:

Laionidas said:

1.How did Watanuki get the pipe fox to that kawaii intermediate size?

2.How was Hiiragi Mana able to enter the shop, or rather with what did she pay?

3.Did anyone else notice that Kisaragi Saya sounds just like Yuuko-san?

4.Did anyone else notice that Kisaragi Saya has the EXACT SAME haircut as Himawari-chan?

5.Is this a new ship, and if not, WTF is it?
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Mar 26, 2015 6:02 PM

Nov 2009
Good movie sequel, I didnt expect it to be bad or anything though, I feel like Mogari turning out to be a villain was pretty random though he was such a meh character anyway when it turned out he was against Saya I was just like "uhh okay then", Fumito is a very fucked up character experimenting and causing humans so much pain just to try to help her.
7/10
haydnwrightMar 26, 2015 6:06 PM
May 31, 2015 12:48 PM

Mar 2014
Laionidas said:
Taken from the xxxHolic Rou thread:

Laionidas said:

1.How did Watanuki get the pipe fox to that kawaii intermediate size?

2.How was Hiiragi Mana able to enter the shop, or rather with what did she pay?

3.Did anyone else notice that Kisaragi Saya sounds just like Yuuko-san?

4.Did anyone else notice that Kisaragi Saya has the EXACT SAME haircut as Himawari-chan?

5.Is this a new ship, and if not, WTF is it?

not his pipe fox, its a dog looks like a fox its almost like, his summon just to observe Saya

remember Yuuko said in xxxholic anyone can enter her shop as long as you have a desire for a wish/need or you have special ability/powers able to see her shop basically her Father location

nope just Nana Mizuki used different voice to portray vengeful Saya

its CLAMP get over with it
Aug 24, 2015 7:59 AM
Aug 2015
hmmm so fumito loved saya so he continued making the blah blah monster's so saya can live since saya has to kill them in order to live and saya likes fumito but also she is angry sooo fumito did all this so saya can live and he can be with her
tskkkkkk weirdest anime I've ever watch
Oct 13, 2015 12:18 PM
May 2013
This>TV series
Also I love this because :

I feel sorry for viewers who can't appreciate this .
If Death Note was told as if Light was not the main character it would give a similar feeling to this .
Dec 8, 2015 1:15 PM
Mar 2008
I enjoyed the movie, but the ending was ugghhh... so much rage-inducing.
Saya saying she's alone when she actually got some real friends, for the first time, made me really mad.
Dec 12, 2015 10:57 PM
Aug 2014
I didn't like Saya in the movie. I liked her in the TV series, but not the movie. I liked the way she was sweet and dorky in the series, but also badass. In the movie, Saya was way too bitchy, even towards people trying to help her, and I just couldn't muster any sympathy for her. I also liked the Eldar Bairnes designs from the series better, too. Overall, the movie wasn't as interesting.
Feb 13, 2016 11:10 AM

Sep 2012
That was good. Saya has changed so much since after the tv series. She has a whole different personality.
Oct 1, 2018 6:50 AM

Apr 2014
I'm so upset the series for a 6.7 on here, and this movie got a low 7. rating.

The series, along with this movie (which just feels like an extended finale) are amazing.

The animation in this movie, the fighting, the sounds, the music. Absolutely 10/10. Bravo.
Dec 23, 2018 9:50 AM
Jun 2017
symbv said:
^ So how does the movie link to the TV series I wonder?

Well, they made a few connections to the movie and the TV series.:

-Itsuki (the class rep from the TV series) is actually a spy working for Kuroto (the wheelchair guy and boss of SIRRUT) which is why SIRRUT knew about the Elder Bairns and Saya
-The covenant thing that Kanako-sensei mentioned is addressed here.
-Oh, and Saya has a very crazy dream about Tadayoshi and the rest of the cast from the TV series. It's sort of like that she's in LSD or something.
to tell you the truth, I honestly did not call many of the points of the movie but, what bothered me was how Nanahara Fumito killed himself, he disappears into pieces and stays there anyway, and after a year goes by and Saya does not say anything .... .. some lokas questions.
Rexky said:
8/10

Another great Clamp story, shame so many viewers can't follow a plot without it being spoon fed to them.
Jan 22, 2019 10:30 PM

Jul 2008
The ending felt very meh to me. Borderline pointless even. But the visuals were top of the line. Overall I still ended up liking it. 6/10
Mar 17, 2019 4:05 PM

Oct 2015
I must say I loved Saya's dark personality. The last scene with Fumito was badly done though, but I hope to see some sort of sequel In future.

8/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 7, 2019 4:07 PM

Oct 2019
The good stuff? Saya, Fumito, and a few fight scenes. The bad one? Everything else. Still, it gave a most needed conclusion to the anime, and delivered what you'd expect. The side characters were useless though. 6/10
Feb 24, 2020 11:56 PM

May 2012
I was really not a fan of the pacing of this movie tbh, the series had a lot better pacing and this was quite different.

Still enjoyable but also very different!
Mar 28, 2020 10:01 PM
Jul 2018
those visuals tho. I'd say it's a great movie on *it's own*, but I was definitely expecting there to be more action. This is satisfactory I guess? It looks like there was a different approach to pacing.

and POG! SAYA PROTECTED SOMEONE FOR ONCE!
Aug 31, 2020 4:02 AM
Aug 2020
I've binged watched the whole series and watched the movie right after! and i must say it's really good! although it has many flaws and i'm so confused with the movie... i really really liked it.

The series was great! at first i was unsure of the plot and always wondered why it was always so strangely quiet in their town, but the twist in the end answered it all! i'm so happy to have watched this series. it literally has everything that i like. i love it so much and i would watch it again in a heartbeat!

Although for the movie.. i guess i shouldn't have hyped it up as much because there are so much unanswered questions! i would really like for my questions to be answered but i'm afraid to answer that i'd have to read the manga, but i'm too lazy to :(( in the end i really liked it overall, in my opinion Fumito was a really strange character but he's so handsome i can't help myself to be so flustered when they kissed >~< aaaahhhhhg!! nonetheless in my opinion it really is a great and wonderful series and movie! it's not perfect but it is unique! hope to see a new season anyway! even though it's been years XD
Dec 19, 2020 4:39 AM

Nov 2009
I love the twisted love relation between Saya and Fumito @w@. It was so interesting. He tried so hard to extend her life but at the same time he gave her a quite big trauma ugh xD.

I rewatched the series sencond time after a couple of years oof and this time I understand more what is going on :>.

Animation, graphics, music and concept was really good! As for plot itself - it was kinda predictable, (this aspect itself is not so bad), but also one thread centered and boring :<. Side characters were okay, nice and warm group but nothing special and/or entertaining.

I don't care much about fighting scenes itself. They are okay, sometimes animation and graphics looks really good <3 but that is not my thing. For me they can be just a nice addition to series. I prefer to watch something full of emotions, relations between characters and aesthetics ^w^. (romance yeaaah x'D)
Apr 7, 2021 8:02 PM
Nov 2016
I feel like I want to like this series more than I actually like this series.

Movie was pretty. Could have scrapped at least half the side characters. Some questions were answered, others remain.

Ultimately a more satisfactory ending than the tv series.
Aug 25, 2021 9:28 PM
Dec 2017
well that was really something and goddamn such a big black to clamp this was.

Oct 17, 2021 1:55 PM
Dec 2011
A solid Movie. Watched it now for the 3rd time since its initial Release. But the Story BEGS to have a goddamn Prequel. At least we finally understood Fumitos Motivation and what he wanted to accomplish.

But tons of questions remain (what happened before the Events of the Series took place, why did Saya and the Elders accepted the Covenant). Most of them could have been answered (except what Saya will do now that Fumito is death. I guess she will starve to death in the future) in a potential Prequel, but we all know that this won't happen anymore. The Series flopped hard in Japan and its been 10 years since.
Jan 27, 2022 5:22 AM
Feb 2021
The movie didn't give out the hype I had for it after watching the series.

The animation was good, what in the western monster did they pulled out.

The final fight with that monster was meh, lame af, expected more cus it looked damn strong at first but got a quick n easy defeat by Saya.
I love the ending and want a sequel but it could have been so much better if they showed their dynamic in that type of relationship more. Feels like the tension was there from before but felt more like a biased thought. O well..sudden, but still good.

And series Saya more attractive then the movie version?

LesaAckeuchiJan 27, 2022 5:57 AM
May 14, 2023 6:42 PM

Nov 2010
Movie version Saya is a hottie! I also prefer her current personality.
30:30 I knew that shop looked familiar. That's Kimihiro from xxxHolic! I can't believe both shows existed in one universe when there was barely any gore in xxxHolic.
Interesting twist in the end. I never expected Kuroto to be such a greedy a-hole willing to betray everyone. He got his just desserts.
The animation quality is top-tier! It's a shame the gore is lacking compared to the series—also, no meaningful deaths. The final battle was so-so. Both her enemies transformed for nothing. They became weaker after it, lol. They could've made the final battles epic with such a budget. As for the story, despite the twists, it's average at best. It feels like it's missing 50 mins of content.
Jul 2, 2023 1:03 PM

May 2010
After reading all of the explanations here regarding Fumino's intentions, I am still not sold. It was rather hard to digest for me unfortunately after what he did in TV series.

Movie's bit better than the series mainly because of the "real" setting.

The only thing that stood out to me was the twist of the monster in the beginning.

Would love to watch OVA or sidestories to further explain things how they came to be.
Jul 29, 2023 2:52 PM

Aug 2017
Stellar animation, on par with what production I.G. pulls with psycho-pass movies. Also certified new yuri ship between Mana and Saya, too bad they aren't meeting again, probably...now I wonder what did the writers did in follow-up stage plays and live-action movies?

>tfw both Fumito and Kuroto do something to Saya through coffee
I guess it runs in the family
Sep 21, 2023 1:00 AM

Nov 2019
this has better visuals but action wise meh, there's not a single decent fight whereas the tv series has amazing fight choreography and unlike the tv series this has skip clashes something the former didn't do

tv series 8/10
movie 5/10
Nov 9, 2023 7:30 AM

Dec 2022
An okay movie, but I was disappointed with the last third, as well as Saya's lack of consistency in killing. Fumito was an irredeemable lech and his death shouldn't have been framed as melancholy, plus the fight scenes were also poorly choreographed and not at all interesting when contrasted with Blood-C.

Shaded Horizon

Feb 17, 1:52 PM
Feb 2022
The visuals and animation are very good, although the last fight is anticlimactic. I quite liked it despite not having much action. Saya could have stayed with the group, but I guess she wanted to protect them by walking away, or she didn't realize that she did have someone now. She also keep the truth from them that the professor was a traitor.

Spanish translation:
Los visuales, y animación son muy buenos, aunque la ultima pelea es anticlimática. Me gusto bastante a pesar de no tener mucha acción. Saya podría haberse quedado con el grupo, pero supongo que querría protegerlos al alejarse, o no se dio cuenta de que si tenia a alguien ahora. Además les guardo la verdad de que el profesor era un traidor.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Do I need to watch the Blood-C series before this movie?

TaquishaJohnson - Mar 3, 2013

16 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Aug 25, 2021 9:33 PM

» Description Change Spoiler Issue

deaf_amish_guy - May 22, 2020

0 by deaf_amish_guy »»
May 22, 2020 5:25 PM

» Build Saya's Blade [INSTRUCTIONS]

Laionidas - Jan 30, 2015

0 by Laionidas »»
Jan 30, 2015 7:07 AM

» New characters

xxxholic_wing - Mar 8, 2012

10 by LeonLanford »»
Apr 7, 2014 8:28 AM

» movie already?

Sprinklz - May 10, 2011

30 by tsubasalover »»
Jan 21, 2013 6:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.