Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Oct 2, 2015 1:13 PM

Nov 2013
^Weird dude above me.
Anime was excellent, 11/10
I kinda forgive Ranka for saving Sheryl..still don't like her though.
That duet though.
Oct 18, 2015 12:30 AM

May 2015
Ending didn't satisfy me but in general the show was awesome especially the Music. Can't wait for the next Macross
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 26, 2015 2:02 AM

Apr 2014
I saw Srw L 1st with that showdown against the queen....it was really hot blooded...and those songs they sang when they combine it sounds wonderful. 7/10 would totally recommend.
Front Hooks...Oh yeah...
Feb 4, 2016 6:26 AM

Oct 2007
I just finished rewatching the series for a fourth time, and I noticed something - Birler's picture of Minmay and what he says when he looks at it. I have no doubts that he knows where her fleet is, and oh my god am I excited by that foreshadowing.
Apr 11, 2016 10:20 AM

Jan 2013
What a shit show. I don't know why people praise Macross for it's characters at least from the ones I've seen (original and Frontier) they're so horribly written it's hard to give a damn about any of them. Sheryl went from being a total bitch to being a friend to Ranka, how? Where's the development that leads up to that? It just switches instantly. Ranka started the war and because of "muh feelings" got countless people killed because she didn't want to sing. In a war that she started, because the Vajra were like "ayy lmao let me see ur quartz" and then she buddies up with them after all that. What? They attacked and slaughtered your family and killed some of your closest friends, but that's okay because they didn't know about your feelings yet? Holy shit what autismo.

And How many times do they have to replay the same song over and over and over and over and over again? It's not a musical when there's literally 3 songs you keep on repeat...

"Who are you going to kiss?"
Yeah, who? Oh nvm just gonna not answer the most important question in the show haha.

Verdict: Shit/10
At least the original Macross had one stable character that didn't flop (Misa) even if Minmay was autistic and changed every episode. This episode didn't even have a Misa, it was just two girls being autistic and whoever's in charge being too limp wristed to even give a proper answer to the love triangle...

o wait there's a new macross 8 years later yes I'm sure that answers the question let me go watch that thank god I live in 2016 unlike the poor chaps that watched this back in '08
Apr 18, 2016 1:28 PM

Feb 2013
Barely made any sense...... MEH
gedataAug 6, 2016 8:21 PM
May 22, 2016 8:22 AM

Jan 2015
The original Macross ruined a what would have been stellar ending with an extra shitty time skip of an arc that butchers and degenerates Hikaru and Minmays already not very likable character. But at least it ends with a resolution to the love triangle, despite dragging the entire story into the ground slowly over several episodes to do so.

Macross Frontier however, decides to destroy what could have been a good story with an explosive, neon colored battle with singing over the course of 2 episodes. The ending makes no sense, they didn't really give a coherent reason the Vajra decide to stop fighting. It just had a really forced happy conclusion. Grace was a shit villan that got nothing but vague screen time. In fact her entire villainy stems from the fact that she's just a bitch. The results of her actions aren't even wrong, ascending humans to a superior species. However, it's the ending that really grinds my gears, they decide to end it by teasing us with the shitty opening music.

Who are you going to kiss? Nobody. I'm kissing the sky. Fuck resolving the romance. Fucking hell. Mother fucker. Goddamn why? Fuck.

Kinda conflicted. Shit ending but everything else was great. Can't decide between a 6 or 7.
Oct 19, 2016 12:29 AM
Sep 2016
Where is everyone learning this when I watched the final episode of Frontier it showed Alto dieing at the end and it finished with the fleet getting massacred
Dec 29, 2016 8:11 PM

Mar 2010
Just finished watching it for the first time and I thought it would be bad or mediocre (just like 7, Lovers Again and Zero) and, surprisingly enough, I fucking loved the shit out of it.

Frontier brought back what made me fall in love with the original Macross and all the others (except for Plus) were lacking: the balance and symbiosis between the three pillars that make Macross be Macross, and they are warfare, romance and culture.

I even dare to say that this is the best installment of the franchise so far, even better than the original series. It does a way better job than the 1982 predecessor in pacing (remember when the last 9 episodes of the Original were dragged as fuck just to solve the love triangle and they made a big mess in the writing) and I loved the development of the characters.

Macross Frontier feels like a love letter to the franchise's legacy and its fans. I felt like Kawamori did his all in this one and I kinda wanted this to be the last one.

Now, I will take some time until I feel like watching Delta, which is the only thing I haven't watched in Macross.
Oct 28, 2018 7:21 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Nice and conclusive ending
As for thst bitch grace:
“Ding dong the witch is dead.”

First post on this page seems to be bait though.
Feb 26, 2019 8:24 PM

Apr 2009
Weak ending but have the best music and art in recent anime.

10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2020 6:20 PM

Aug 2008
Rewatched after nine years or so, still very enjoyable. Ending felt rushed and a bit random, Sheryl getting cured through Ranka's... magic or whatever was weird but I"m grateful regardless. Anime tried to wuss out and make it ambiguous as to who Alto chooses but its Sheryl all the way.

I'll stick with the 8/10 rating, if the show stuck the landing in this final episode better I'd probably give it a 9 but alas...

Now to rewatch the two movies and refresh my memory.
Aug 25, 2020 4:09 PM

Aug 2017
Just realised the irony of "Skull squadron" becoming "pirates". The symbolism haha

"Totsugeki love heart" as a name of the attack xD

Apparently space loli slaps have actual impact. Though it was not Sheryl's body, rather her "soul". She even cured (revived?) Sheryl by moving the infected cells away from her brain into the abdomen.

At one moment the shades on Ranka's body formed a smile

The idea of a giant space hivemind mixed with AI implants was an interesting thing to explore, I think. Or "evolving humanity into a giant hivemind". Again, *sounds familiar*

Macross attack, yay!

Mixing so many songs together...wow

I expected more people to die, actually. Despite the death flags, Kamelia and Ozma survived. Same for Brera...who noticed a thing from Macross Zero in the end. So the Vajra planet is actually the planet of Protoculture.

If Vajras think with their stomach, why did Brera tell Alto to aim for the head? I'm a bit confused here. Did he mean that the Queen was manipulated from the head and there was no need to kill her, but rather just eliminate Grace?

The last image of Ranka and Sheryl's space projections showed nipples...which is suprising since they don't usually do that when the characters are made naked.

Leon is probably just arrested after that or something. I'd appreciate it if there was more development regarding his relationship with Luca (because Luca being somewhat of a double-sided guy affiliated with an organization which we know nothing about except its name, LAI, is not very good; also his reasons for working with Leon, etc; maybe I'm too harsh and that was unneeded though)

The main mystery is still unresolved...how does Ranka move her hair?? Her character page says it's because she's 1/4 Zentradi. And is Elmo related to Britai from SDF Macross? xD

Loved the "preview" from the previous episode, just in the Macross tradition of live-action footage for the ED!

Interesting how Birler basically wanted to find Minmay all the time? Would be nice :-]

Overall I really loved Macross F, enjoyable characters, nice references to previous shows which did not look like blatant copies but rather pleasant things to remember. I don't think the ending was all that rushed, many things were foreshadow earlier, and just not everything was shown on the screen. Deciding between giving it an 8 or a 9.

P.S. I was extremely close to finishing the show with 25 episodes dedicated to the 25th anniversary of Macross on the 25th of August
St0rmbladeAug 26, 2020 7:18 AM
Mar 17, 2021 9:54 PM

Jan 2010
So two new things happened here: songs were actively being used against humanity, and we have a Macross vs. Macross battle. I'm not too keen on the show reusing animation from the openings, and while having a huge mashup of songs was great, I felt they clashed with each other a bit too much, if just due to the tones, messages, and rhythm being all over the place between Ranka's and Sheryl's setlists.

Anyways, for all the conveniences that had to happen to get this scenario of a love triangle, double amnesia, callbacks to multiple past Macross titles, more optics of cross-species peace making via song, a political coup and an unrelated attempt at universal conquest, a swift debate over manifest destiny and colonizing, and an even swifter miracle cure to a deadly space infection, I can say that, once again, Macross put out a stellar soundtrack with great accompanying visuals to boot. Despite that, I'm, once again, unsure of everything else around that.

By the way, the reason why Sheryl was able to affect the Vajra were a combination of her V-type infection getting into her brain without killing her immediately and the Vajra Fold earrings amplifying her singing's effects. By that logic, did Sheryl's family lineage have nothing to do with her singing abilities? If so, then was there any reason for her to be a Nome to begin with? Mao Nome could have been substituted by another person and I don't think anything would have changed.

Also, Aimo was a Vajra love song? As in the love song was in their language, right? Then where'd the Japanese lyrical components of the song come from? If Ranka's mother made that up, then that's really convenient that the lyrics matched specifically with the original song.
Oct 29, 2022 6:33 PM

May 2014
this anime just isn't very fun. i don't like the character designs or the 3dcg mechs, the story and character drama is deeply unengaging, all the characters are either underdeveloped or annoying. the worst offender is that all the cool weird space occult stuff that makes macross interesting in the first place is almost completely absent till the end and it's toned down a bunch.

this barely feels like a macross anime at all. at least the last episode was fun
bizorOct 29, 2022 6:59 PM
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross F Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - Aug 1, 2008

60 by Dzentelmen2 »»
Oct 12, 2023 7:22 AM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

darkside099 - Jul 4, 2008

72 by sserpens »»
Mar 27, 2023 6:08 AM

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Sep 11, 2008

98 by catfay »»
Feb 21, 2023 3:22 PM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - May 15, 2008

72 by Antanaru »»
Dec 31, 2022 11:36 AM

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Aug 21, 2008

123 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Nov 19, 2022 2:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.