Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2008 2:16 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
More and more Oscar is proving maturity albeit her young age. The rivalry between the 2 most powerful ladies in the court has peaked in this episode. Countess duBarry convinces the stupid king using her altered way that the crown princess is insulting the king indirectly. The princess is ordered by the Prime minister of Austria guided by the empress to address duBarry in order to prevent a war throughout the continent, but the princess refuse to deliberately talk to the evil countess in order to preserve the righteous values.

I would really like to see what will happen to duBarry after the plot she prepared to Oscar's mother and to find out what Oscar will do to guard the Princess and her Mother.
I will Try to realize my dreams with someone precious to me tomorrow.
Now I will set forth on a new life with this in mind. (Saiunkoku Monogatari S2 Ending)

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/yma981
http://myanimelist.net/profile/yma981
Oct 19, 2008 8:52 AM

Aug 2008
The cliffhanger from last week is pretty easily resolved. The king gives Oscar the choice of who she wishes her mother to serve. With more advice from Andre (while fencing), Oscar makes the logical decision. She disproves of duBarry’s lineage and morals and sides with the “true” royalty, which is Marie Antoinette. The loss gives duBarry a huge hissy and she storms off to complain to her “john”, I mean the king.

Well, the rivalry b/w duBarry and Marie has gotten heated and people are starting to worry if it’ll affect the peace between Austria and France. One of those people is Count Mercy, an emissary sent by the Empress of Austria. DuBarry’s whining to the king and Count Mercy’s letter to the empress has put Marie in a tough position. Not only is the king favoring duBarry now, but the empress is wearily asking Marie to stand down. She uses the Prime Minister to write the letter however, since she feels that she can’t rightfully tell Marie to aknowledge a person that she’s been raised to never respect.

When we finally come to the get together at court, everyone fully expects Marie to finally aknowledge duBarry. Too bad! Marie stubbornly sticks to her morals and leaves duBarry hanging, only shooting her an icy glare! Foolish? Probably, but I applaud her for it.

DuBarry is obviously furious and runs to her room to break things (again) when once again, the Count Orleans appears with a bottle of “special” wine (poison, duh). This is so deliciously evil and cliché, I can’t help but watch! She attempts to frame Oscar’s mother for the poisoning of a young servant (poor girl). Oscar is tipped off to the suspicious activity and runs to prevent whatever she thinks is going down. Oscar arrives too late, but sees right through duBarry and her lies! This incident is pivotal, because it places Oscar squarely on Marie’s side. Really enjoyed this episode!
Jan 1, 2009 10:35 PM

May 2007
So another good episode, both of these women are jerks, willing to put entire countries at war over standing in a court. Oscar also continues to show brains and the part at the end was neat, and I want to see how it is explained that this reandom women died.
My anime list
Nov 3, 2009 10:15 AM

Jun 2009
I don't consider Marie a "jerk", she's just naively staying to her beliefs. If there wasn't a risk of war because of this I would definitely be on her side, but I'm not sure just yet. Oscar, on the other hand, is one hell of a protagonist. She, unlike Marie, isn't naive and knows perfectly well how the world works.

I think Du Barry made a huge mistake in this incident, because Oscar has no choice now but to side with Marie.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 1, 2011 4:34 PM

Feb 2010
What a cliffhanger at the end. I cannot imagine this ending well for Oscar and/or her mother. The scene in the beginning proved how much influence Du Barry has over the king. (I found the scene a bit annoying though, how fast the King went from "I don't care" to ragemode over such an obvious method used by Du Barry I found a bit strange. He didn't seem that dumb.)

I like the series so far, but I'm not fully convinced yet, too many characters seem too dumb. I hope that at least Orleans got some brains to make this not totally one-sided.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 17, 2012 3:17 AM

May 2009
DuBarry's breaking far too many precious things in the palace for her to not be considered some sort of liability. And man, she's strong - breaking her hand fan, ripping apart the sheets. Wow.

But yes, Oscar is one hell of a protagonist.
Jul 3, 2012 9:09 AM
Jul 2018
I cannot be the only person who thinks Mercy's mustache is badass.
I'm amazed Antoinette still refused to talk to DuBarry. With her schemes now beginning, I'd like to see what goes down with this.
Feb 12, 2013 12:27 AM

Sep 2010
Damn Du Barry what are you the hulk?

Also lol stupid whore got told by Oscar. I really don't like Du Barry hopefully my mind will change on her once I watch more episodes.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Mar 28, 2013 10:28 PM

Jun 2009
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
What a cliffhanger at the end. I cannot imagine this ending well for Oscar and/or her mother. The scene in the beginning proved how much influence Du Barry has over the king. (I found the scene a bit annoying though, how fast the King went from "I don't care" to ragemode over such an obvious method used by Du Barry I found a bit strange. He didn't seem that dumb.)

I think it's more that the King has his head up his own ass so much that he can't tolerate the mere thought of someone disparaging/ calling into question his ablities than it is him being dumb. Pride would be another way to put it. I found it pretty believable really.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 28, 2013 1:20 PM

May 2009
if DuBarry hadn't scowled at Antoinette in the second episode we might not have been in this mess lol (though Antoinette would probably have found out her position at another time)

I love Oscar new favourite anime character for me
Oct 9, 2013 12:27 AM

Jul 2008
oh my god and I thought our government was dysfunctional...if a war starts because of 2 spoiled dumb brats...no wonder there was a revolution.

But yay for Oscar making it in time.
Mar 11, 2014 4:33 AM

Aug 2013
WolfWood37 said:
if a war starts because of 2 spoiled dumb brats...no wonder there was a revolution.

LOL my thoughts exactly. In today's world, it would be interpreted as "she didn't say hi to me so I hate her." Oh well, nobles are living inside their own happy bubble. Everyone outside that bubble is pointing and laughing while calling them idiots.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 24, 2014 5:52 PM

Jan 2014
I don't understand du Barry's logic... There was no in the room aka no witnesses... How would her trap have worked?!
Sep 27, 2014 3:16 PM

Mar 2012
Fantastice episode, the story is getting pretty interesting. Oscar is becoming quite the awesome character as well.
Nov 10, 2014 4:57 PM

Oct 2012
Very good, I'm really liking Oscar.
Dec 11, 2014 3:31 PM

Dec 2012
lilypippili said:
I don't understand du Barry's logic... There was no in the room aka no witnesses... How would her trap have worked?!
I'm guessing people would've took her word for it.
Jun 19, 2015 4:53 PM

Jan 2014
Maybe I just am not very understanding of how Nobility works in 18th century Europe but couldn't this entire ordeal be avoided if Marie simply said Hi to Dubarry? I mean the rivalry and conspiracies are cool and all but it kind of just bugs me how none of this would have happened if Marie simply just talked to her.

Either way it was a cool episode and Oscar makes for one interesting protagonist. I have a feeling she might become one of my favorite female protagonist.
Jan 4, 2016 4:55 PM
Nov 2014
Damn, bitches are crazy in this show o.o Not sure how that plan from du Barry would have worked either way, it's a stupid plan with little to no logic.
Apr 13, 2016 11:49 PM

Oct 2012
Oscar was so cool at the end.

Dec 21, 2016 5:23 PM

Oct 2012
throws broken wine glass through window, shattering it too

TAKE THAT!

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 10, 2017 2:19 PM

Nov 2016
Epic declaration at the end. Oscar is awesome.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 23, 2018 9:14 AM

Jun 2009
jasonvorheas24 said:
Maybe I just am not very understanding of how Nobility works in 18th century Europe but couldn't this entire ordeal be avoided if Marie simply said Hi to Dubarry? I mean the rivalry and conspiracies are cool and all but it kind of just bugs me how none of this would have happened if Marie simply just talked to her.

Either way it was a cool episode and Oscar makes for one interesting protagonist. I have a feeling she might become one of my favorite female protagonist.

I mean, it's pretty clear in the episode that Marie was raised in a way that she is too proud and set in this way of thinking that a mistress/prostitute shouldn't be allowed in the court, much less have power. She's naive, and it's ironic because the way her mother raised her is actually causing said mother issues now.

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 6, 2019 2:41 PM
Jul 2018
Wow! Lady Oscar, so fierce!
Lady Antoinette was also to admire, not letting a single word slip out of her mouth and address that whore.

Cry more du Barry.
It's Lady Oscar you should watch yourself off.

I can't wait the bitch to meet her final punishment. She's been annoying enough for 2 episodes. "Redhead, redhead." STFU!
Dec 6, 2019 11:41 AM

Sep 2014
Even though marie was compelled to address du barry, she firmly stood with her preachings and showed du barry her place. It's quite rare to see character with such high moral sanctions and ethics. Colour me Impressed!!!
Apr 22, 2020 3:09 PM
Jul 2018
is it because i watched this episode before sleep late at night but why is Du Barry pissing me off so much :v to make this clear usually im pretty tolerant when it comes to ladies like her cause sure she wants her ego confirmed, and amusingly, she is much older than Marie yet can't delay her desire for instant gratification, oh God...

also i've been observing her the past 2 episodes but this woman doesn't know her place- nothing against mistresses or ex-prostitutes (we are all people, all "equal") but why so persistent and presumptuous???
and the King, goddammit- some men though nc NFC to think the great Ancien France was in the hands of the man that was easily manipulated with few drops of tears and spoiled narc attitude AGH
i'm just extremely annoyed-

at least the ending made some sense, Oscar is a blast of a protagonist t-t not sure how she does it, maybe her dad trained her to read through people's plots but Du Barry made a huge mistake to challenge Oscar by involving her mother-
shu shu Du Barry :v
i officially hate you in this episode, despite her looks that damn rotten inside :vvvv
Sep 9, 2020 10:44 AM

Jul 2015
Didn't know the crown prince was into lock making and stuff, interesting to learn all those historical facts. I believe they do a pretty good job at portraying realistically the 14-year crown princess Marie and mistress du Barry with their fight for their position in the royal house.

Dec 29, 2020 8:35 PM

Mar 2020
Wow, that Du Barry really is evil... She went as far as killing her own servant just for a petty reason like that? I really hope Oscar gets rid of her soon
Joe, Joe Forever....
Jan 26, 2021 11:35 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Milf DuBarry wasn't really prepared for the badassery that is the righteous outrage of Oscar-sama. I love the palace intrigue going on here.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 28, 2021 1:54 PM

Aug 2018
Hahaha that whore's plans get fucked again!! Nice job Oscar!!

Jul 2, 2021 8:52 AM

Jan 2021
du Barry is so annoying!!
I hope they kill her off soon.
I’m on lady Oscar’s side.
May 26, 2022 4:31 PM

Dec 2021
yo how dare that WENCH try and frame Oscar mother!!

I wouldn't give 2 fucks if Oscar drew her sword and cut her down right there !!

Antoniette is right tho !!!

Don't acknowledge these shameful hoes !!!

BEGONE THOT
Jun 27, 2022 8:40 AM

Apr 2016
When Du Barry felt the embarrassment of having bowed to Marie and still not getting acknowledged by her I was giggling like an idiot.
May 25, 2023 1:19 AM

Jan 2021
Marie was completely out of her mind but Madame du Barry was crazy, the trap she planned was so high-risk because it only made Oscar antagonize her!

And it really happened, she only made a new enemy and that person was the one she should have avoided making enemies with the most.

Uhhh but that last scene! Oscar was so awesome! I just love her more and more. She is just too amazing.

Sep 22, 2023 2:01 PM

Jun 2011
While I could make fun of it for being melodramatic it's nowhere as close to Attack on Titan (2013), lol.

Nov 29, 2023 2:29 AM

Apr 2017
Reply to kushmonatl
yo how dare that WENCH try and frame Oscar mother!!

I wouldn't give 2 fucks if Oscar drew her sword and cut her down right there !!

Antoniette is right tho !!!

Don't acknowledge these shameful hoes !!!

BEGONE THOT
@kushmonatl And that's exactly why the French Revolution happened. Nobles and royals thinking themselves above the lower classes.

Though this anime is good. In the actual movie, I had a lot of sympathy for Marie Antoinette. Though this anime actually makes me dislike her a lot.
Jan 26, 10:45 AM

Jun 2015
Top tier drama I'm telling you.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Mar 29, 10:06 PM
Jul 2020
The ending was absolutely amazing! Oscar is so cool and really showed how strong she is against Madame Du Barry!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 8 Discussion

removed-user - Apr 19, 2009

41 by Natt_5cents »»
Yesterday, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 32 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Nov 30, 2008

48 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 4, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Sep 6, 2011

24 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 6:08 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 16 Discussion

MagEarwhig - May 26, 2009

33 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 4:32 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 15 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Oct 19, 2008

42 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 4:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.