Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sankarea
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 9, 2012 11:12 PM

Mar 2011
Mero calling Rea "Mama" was absolutely adorable. She got a little fleshing out as a character as well and a possibly interesting development regarding their mother...? Not really sure why they chose to air this right after that last cliffhanger episode though, especially since it seems chronologically out of order. Still a solid episode though, I enjoyed it.
Harems don't exist in America. If one guy is constantly surrounded by beautiful girls, then he's probably the gay friend.
Jul 13, 2012 5:31 PM
Aug 2010
ShizuoCell said:
"mama"

Poor Mero, she missed a mother figure >_<

This.
I shed tears ... :(
Jul 22, 2012 5:22 PM

Dec 2009
In my opinion, in this episode is where it started to draw my attention more and get me more interested to this anime, liking it more.

But what I liked most about this episode, was how I've come to like Mero-chan...
finding out another side of her, the blushing was so cute.
And I love the fact that her and Chihiro's mother was actually a zombie.

Rea is such a good girl ^-^

I didn't like the part of Mero's friends but whatever, I'm glad the rest of it was a great satisfaction!
Jul 24, 2012 2:04 AM

Dec 2009
I liked this episode even though I was not a huge fan of Mero, but the scene in the graveyard wit Rea was one of my favorites of this show. But still this should have been an OVA or something like that.

But please get back to the main story...
Jul 25, 2012 9:42 AM

Mar 2010
before this i didint really like mero much as a character but this episode helped a lil
overall decent ep
so basicly there mom was a zombie guess that could explain his zombie obsession

"I am the bone of my sword,
Steel is my body and Fire is my blood,
I have created over a thousand blades,
Unknown to Death,
Nor known to Life,
Have withstood pain to create many weapons,
Yet, those hands will never hold anything,
So as I pray, unlimited blade works"
Aug 3, 2012 11:25 PM

Jul 2011
s2012k1993 said:
Did the anime need to dedicate an entire episode to Mero to explain that Mero sees similarities between her mother and Rea? Good story telling would have added subtle scenes about Mero during the previous few episodes to lend some Mero characterization. In addition, I think I liked Mero better before watching this episode. At least, before this episode, Mero had an air of mystery, but now, I know that she has a dull personality and her only purpose is to tell the audience that her grandfather had experimented on her mother.

I really enjoy all the unique camera shots, but what a waste the story has become.

Are you god damn kidding me? Did you seriously not pay attention to what you wrote? If you're gonna put spoilers put them in the goddamn tags.
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.
Dec 3, 2012 10:34 PM

May 2012
I'm guessing this is flashback.
Dec 26, 2012 3:10 PM

May 2012
Was more a filler but actually quite liked it, to have a bit more time on Mero and well the ending was just excellent! Nice episode either way!
Mar 24, 2013 1:45 PM
Aug 2012
zombie mum was kinda obivous the question is tho was she a zombie when she had the kids tho im not sure thts possible her arm was probably rotten hence the bandages tho i wonder why she was killed in such a brutal way (the cut in half body tht was in an earlier episode)
Apr 17, 2013 1:54 PM

Apr 2012
The first half of this chapter was a utter and complete waste of time and animation. Who the hell cares about Mero's classmates?!

The second half and the encounter between Sanka and Mero reveals some info. Mum was obviously a zombie and knowing what we know from the grandfathers book, it seems that he might have helped her (or was the one responsible for reviving her).

What I'm starting to wonder is if perhaps Chihiro's/Mero's mum is also not Sanka's mother? Maybe she was with pedo Dad, died, was revived and then hooked up with Chihiro's dad? Which would make them siblings then.

All speculation on my part. I wonder how it ends.
Aug 30, 2013 4:09 PM

Aug 2013
Maybe someone mentioned this, but wouldn't it be a bad idea to leave a cold blooded alligator in a dark bag all day? I guess one could assume that she would leave it under a UV lamp all night, but it feels like it just wasn't well though out.
Nov 11, 2013 7:16 PM

Oct 2013
Meru is nice a nice character
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Nov 30, 2013 2:59 AM
May 2013
This was a good filler, but I preferred to see it before episode 8 .
Dec 26, 2013 2:10 AM

Apr 2013
Mero is so cute. And there with Rea arghasdasd
Aug 17, 2014 12:02 AM

Feb 2014
Zarnaav said:
This was a good filler, but I preferred to see it before episode 8 .

Yeah, I don't get why they showed it immediately after the previous episode. But it was a nice episode regardless.
Mero kind of reminds me of Chiaki from Minami-ke, but without the snark. Her character design, her personality, and now how she sees her mother in someone else (the father in Chiaki's case).
Dec 19, 2014 1:39 PM

Aug 2013
Wat? Filler episode in the middle of the action? O.o
Why it wasn't episode 8?
Not bad anyway.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 17, 2015 9:18 AM

Apr 2013
Meh, kinda boring watching these kids basically doing nothing for the first half. Second half was a bit more interesting, so was their mother a zombie too?
Jan 22, 2016 8:14 AM

Jun 2010
Haha, Mero's friends are so weird but cute. *____*

Nasty001 said:
Whoa, what happen to rescue Chihiro?

Sure we'll see that later.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 29, 2016 3:05 AM

Sep 2012
Just watched 9 episodes in 1 night. Great anime.
Mar 30, 2016 10:29 PM

Mar 2015
They remind me of..
Jan 15, 2017 2:14 PM

Jan 2014
Nice episode. I somehow missed the part where Chihiro told his father and Mero that Rea was a zombie though. It could be that only Mero knows, but than the leaf munching at dinner would have probably raised more eyebrows at dinner with dad. Or perhaps dad knows as well, because he used to be married to one, and just doesn't ask questions.

armeg said:
s2012k1993 said:
(...)

Are you god damn kidding me? Did you seriously not pay attention to what you wrote? If you're gonna put spoilers put them in the goddamn tags.

In @s2012k1993 's defence, how was that not completely obvious from what we saw this episode?
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Feb 12, 2017 6:46 PM

Jul 2011
Laionidas said:
Nice episode. I somehow missed the part where Chihiro told his father and Mero that Rea was a zombie though. It could be that only Mero knows, but than the leaf munching at dinner would have probably raised more eyebrows at dinner with dad. Or perhaps dad knows as well, because he used to be married to one, and just doesn't ask questions.

armeg said:

In @s2012k1993 's defence, how was that not completely obvious from what we saw this episode?

> Logs onto MAL first time in forever
> See's I've been quoted
> Post from 5 years ago
> Don't even remember this animu
> ???
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.
Feb 13, 2017 1:45 AM

Jan 2014
armeg said:
> Logs onto MAL first time in forever
> See's I've been quoted
> Post from 5 years ago
> Don't even remember this animu
> ???

That explains why things gets spoiled for you so easily,.. if you don't remember what you've allready watched.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Dec 11, 2018 6:05 PM

Apr 2015
"I'd like to offer you a brief respite from their dreadful drama. Now enjoy this palate-cleansing side dish of a story."

Literally everyone:

This episode in a nutshell:

"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jul 20, 2019 2:21 AM

May 2016
Only thing that enjoyed was that scene Mero chan said mama.. emotional and cute at the same time.
Nov 5, 2019 1:20 PM

Feb 2014
Dattebayo, ramen, n naruto running... Any1 see this lol

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Jan 23, 2020 1:23 PM
Dec 2019
Wonderful side story from Mero's perspective.
Jun 28, 2020 11:43 PM

Jun 2020
cute episode and i love mero and all the backstory but why are the episodes sequenced like that................;´༎ຶਊ ༎ຶ`; so sad Sankarea started out so strong but now it's just something i watch in the background

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Mar 6, 2021 3:31 PM
Mar 2021
why tf is it filler in a 12 ep show????
Oct 20, 2021 11:24 AM

Mar 2019
Another nice relaxing episode. It's pretty obvious what it was trying to say, how Mero's mother was a zombie as well, I think that's what their grandpa keeps talking about, I like it. Also more love for Mero so it's much appreciated.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Nov 12, 2021 11:01 AM

Aug 2017
Lmao the teacher, also nice side story. I think the guy and Chihiro would be best friends

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Aug 6, 2022 6:08 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
sigh.... just like in Ranko's case, it's not that I don't want to see more from Mero's perspective; the opposite is true in that I do want to see more of her. But shoving this episode in right when we get something interesting going on? All I can imagine is disappointment in those who watched this while it was airing as they were excited to see how things were going to develop after Chihiro gets kidnapped- but instead it's time to hit the brakes again.

What makes it worse is that even though sure the end of this episode was pretty sweet, I'd say a good chunk up up to a little more than half of the whole episode is just pointless fluff. I mean sure what do you expect in a show that has kind of regressed to little more than a borderline bland SoL with a 'zombie' gimmick. Each episode before Rea is 'zombified' was quite intriguing and seemed to set up something promising. But instead she simply moves in as a 'zombie' and everyone does no more than just f*ck around as usual. And now that something significant has happened (something significant SHOULD happen in every episode with a premise such as this), they force a pause and switch our attention to another character.

While I am personally complaining about this quite a bit, all in all the show objectively isn't that bad at all. But I do think that most people would probably agree that they could fix the pacing a bit and place this Mero episode somewhere else. If it's something that contributes to the story as a whole, sure, fine by me. But like Ranko's episode, this only exists to flesh out Mero's character alone. In the end, yes it's just a nitpick as I personally was expecting a continuously developing story from start to finish of this season. I guess I shouldn't have exactly expected a near masterpiece from something with a rating of 7.30 which is a BIT on the lower side by MAL standards.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jun 22, 2023 6:29 PM

Dec 2022
Great and funny episode
Aug 13, 2023 8:27 PM
Oct 2017
There are several things that I could say about this episode, but right now I will just say I really liked it, and it warmed my heart. Also that was a piece of crucial information with Chihiro's mom. Interesting.
Oct 11, 2023 7:00 PM

Dec 2022
Strange time to have a sidestory episode out of chronological order, since I thought the previous episode was supposed to lead in to more drama, and would thus be followed up on immediately to maintain the pace. But Mero is cute, so I don't mind.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sankarea Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 19, 2012

268 by 5hadow17 »»
Mar 16, 12:09 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 28, 2012

303 by DrAkiMakura »»
Feb 9, 2:34 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2012

149 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 11, 2023 8:16 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jun 7, 2012

160 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 11, 2023 7:33 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - May 24, 2012

141 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 11, 2023 6:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.