Forum Settings
Forums

Has the quality of anime decresed or is it just me?

New
May 28, 2012 1:16 PM

Sep 2008
I have been enjoying anime since i first saw Hellsing on TV one summernight when i just zaped around due to boredom. I belive i was in 7 or 6th grade, today i am just finishing my second year at a university. I think i have seen alot of Anime, and but these days i can barley find something that seems to be good enough for me to watch. I read hundreds of synopsis and etc but its only a few times i give the anime a chance, but when i do i am mostly disspointed. There have only been two animes i been looking forward too in the last 2 years, beelzebub and Shinkais latest movie. I was only happy with Shinkai, he delivers. But the Beelzebub anime was so effing awful that i wanted to throw up. Fillers, fillers and even more fillers. Why would anyone want to make such an awful adaption? Now there is only one i am waiting for, but i dont think they ever make an anime out of psyren.

I want originality in my anime. Shows that aim for something new and do stuff that 15325536050 animes before it has done. Or atleast make those moments special. (My fav animes are, Death Note, Monster, Sword of the stranger and Code Geass)
Not fillers, cliches and poor storys. Which seems to be what 99% of anime today is made of. Picked up a show called Rainbow a week or 2 ago because Galeneryus had made the ending, i love Galneryus :D But i got pretty disspointed with the anime, even tho ive only watched like 5 episodes (I will watch more). Cliche storytelling right from the start! It annoys me.

I still enjoy anime. I read about it alot and i can get excited. I still read Bleach and Naruto every week even tho they lost their edge along time ago. Naruto has gone into super awful mode since a certin character felt to resurect everyone he took down. Bleach still has some great moments and things are looking to become interesting again, despite that awful arc before the current one.

But i just cant find anything new to watch. Still like anime and so but i just gotta ask here.Seems like they are just producing crap after crap today. Is it just me or what?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 28, 2012 1:19 PM
Jul 2018
No.

Your nostalgia paints older shows as being better than they actually are + you're probably not watching the best of the new shows. (and that you're basing current anime quality on Beelzebub, Bleach & Naruto is good evidence that you aren't.)
removed-userMay 28, 2012 1:23 PM
May 28, 2012 1:22 PM

May 2010
No such thing as "originality".
May 28, 2012 1:24 PM

Sep 2008
deadleeserious said:
No.

Your nostalgia paints older shows as being better than they actually are + you're probably not watching the best of the new shows.

No, i dont. I can only think of 2 animes that i feel nostalgia over, Hellsing and Naruto (1 - 135). Neither of those shows ranks in my top 5. Maybe Naruto but Shippuuden is awful it made the show worse for me. And i used to be a narutard, litteraly.

Trust me, nostalgia doesnt paint any shows better then they are for me.

Yelnats said:
No such thing as "originality".

Haha.
May 28, 2012 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
sasuke_kun said:
deadleeserious said:
No.

Your nostalgia paints older shows as being better than they actually are + you're probably not watching the best of the new shows.

No, i dont. I can only think of 2 animes that i feel nostalgia over, Hellsing and Naruto (1 - 135). Neither of those shows ranks in my top 5. Maybe Naruto but Shippuuden is awful it made the show worse for me. And i used to be a narutard, litteraly.

Fair enough. Second point still stands though. Looking at your list, you've barely watched any of the worthwhile titles of the last 5 years. You don't have that many great pre-2000 anime on your list though so I'm not sure what you're comparing newer stuff to either.
May 28, 2012 1:33 PM

Mar 2009
I've watched a lot more anime than you and, as I started as an adult, I wouldn't say nostalgia is a huge factor. In my case, I'd say "jaded" is probably a better descriptive. Still, it seems to me that I have found less to love and little to get excited about over the last three years. The current Spring 2012 seasons does give me hope. But in your case, you've still got loads of amazing anime left to see.

Edit: Looks like deadleeserious beat me to the thought about there still being plenty amazing anime left for you to discover.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
May 28, 2012 1:34 PM

May 2012
Anime is not like it used to be anyone can tell by watching an old anime and comparing it to a newer one. However everything changes bit by bit eventually and a good thing it does otherwise things would get pretty damn repetitive. Now whether the newer anime are better or worse is based a lot on opinion and perspective. Personally there are old anime and new anime I like and dislike however there are more things besides age to consider here. Quality has not really changed they are still made just as well, but things like animation and popular themes always evolve. You might just have personally preferred the older way of things.

I have not watched as long or as many as some, but I thought I'd give my two cents.
May 28, 2012 1:37 PM

Jun 2008
It's not really nostalgia.

But that your taste has been refined. After enough anime you know what makes a show good, and what doesn't. When you first watch it it is natural to assume everything is amazing because it's the first time you're seeing it. When you've seen enough anime you realize not everything is good, and that most things (like any other industry) is actually shit.

To say something has increased or decreased in quality is to look at trends in the history of anime. I myself haven't watched that many series but every decade is filled with largely crap and forgettable series and those few timeless works that will become classics. So to answer the initial question, I doubt quality has increased or decreased much to be a significant trend. Every year there's often something that will interest "veteran" fans, but we all understand that the industry, like any other, has mostly mediocre works so it's up to ourselves to find the gems, rather than lazily state it has all gone downhill.

And the other guy has a point. If you've seen enough works, you know that nothing is truly original. It just depend on whether you like the repeated material or not. For example, let's look at sword of the stranger. There is pretty much no originality in its plot or characters. And it is filled with cliche with almost no character development. It is, however, one of the best action movies there is. But quality action is nothing original. And I would love to see another samurai flick with awesome action scenes. You definitely don't need originality to enjoy shows.
May 28, 2012 1:38 PM

Sep 2008
deadleeserious said:
sasuke_kun said:
deadleeserious said:
No.

Fair enough. Second point still stands though. Looking at your list, you've barely watched any of the worthwhile titles of the last 5 years. You don't have that many great pre-2000 anime on your list though so I'm not sure what you're comparing newer stuff to either.

I really don't update my list here that much, maybe if i see an entire serie i could bother to show it on my list, if i actully remember to come here. I just logged in for this thread now.
I think this could be my first or maybe... third time i even logged in into this page _this year_. Dont remember, could be more.
Ive checked out most the charts and given all the series i think looks interesting a chance.Like Gosick but ive taken a break from it. Still have it on my harddrive and will continue on it.

But at the moment i am watching alot of TV shows and dont have much time over due to studies. But summerbreak this thursday maybe!
May 28, 2012 1:39 PM

Mar 2009
Tachii said:

But that your taste has been refined. After enough anime you know what makes a show good, and what doesn't. When you first watch it it is natural to assume everything is amazing because it's the first time you're seeing it. When you've seen enough anime you realize not everything is good, and that most things (like any other industry) is actually shit. . . . . .
-- Damn Tachii. You've really been driving stuff home lately. Yet another "well said."
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
May 28, 2012 1:40 PM

Feb 2012
You really have not watched much anime to be able to say its quality has decreased.

Your post also makes it seem as if you either don't give anime a chance at all, or you're just not looking hard enough.

Looking for originality in ANYTHING is hard to come by. Pretty much all plots/characters/settings are all just variations of past works. There is no such thing as originality in anime nowadays. Being original means it has either never been done before, or was the first to do it which, in this day and age, is near impossible.

The moment you start watching anime with the mentality that you shouldn't watch anime because it's 'original', but because it's enjoyable, is the moment you will find that anime has actually increased in quality.

I'd start by looking at the top 10 anime here on MAL.
May 28, 2012 1:41 PM

Jun 2009
It ends up just being a taste thing. You have tried a handful of genre, however it is hard to find an anime that is exactly your taste. It is true that in the last year I have given the score of six more often, however I remain vigilant that something good exists. What I am watching is not bad persay, it is just not a knock me out of my seat anime. Just keep on going and you will eventually find another. Perhaps you do not know what genre is your favorite yet.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
May 28, 2012 1:42 PM

Sep 2011
its a cruel mistress called nostalgia clouding your judgement

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 28, 2012 1:43 PM

Apr 2012
You just have to have to look a little harder for the good stuff. It's like everything else there's a lot of stuff that comes out every year but only a few shows are truly memorable. The quality of anime hasn't gotten any worse it's more about finding that special few shows each year that won't be forgotten in the years to come. Last year and the year before I started watch a lot of the newly airing show, and there have been a few really standout titles.

It's easier to find the standout older titles because those are the ones people remember. So to find the good newer stuff you have to either try a lot of different things or read around a bit. But just in the last two years there's been Shiki, Madoka, Katanagatari, Rainbow Rokubou no Shichinin, Steins;Gate, Usagi Drop, Another, Kaiji II, the second season of Gintama, Durarara, and a few other memorable shows that I would put right up there with the classics.

There does seem to be a lot of shit coming out as well but you just have to filter through it to find the gems.
May 28, 2012 1:46 PM

Mar 2012
While I'm no anime veteran, I'm going to assume it's just you. People say the same thing about the music industry all the time, yet there is more incredible stuff being released on a daily basis than I could even have time to listen to. I think the bottom line is you just have to be willing to put in some effort to find the good stuff. The only anime that's going to come to you is the popular stuff, which is hit and miss.

On the lots of shit anime coming out topic: Remember that there was probably a lot of bad anime in the past too, it wasn't just classics upon classics with anime fans drinking champagne enjoying pure gold releases. It's just that no one talks about the bad ones anymore, because they were, well, bad.
JoshMay 28, 2012 1:51 PM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 28, 2012 1:48 PM

Sep 2008
Tachii said:

But that your taste has been refined. After enough anime you know what makes a show good, and what doesn't. When you first watch it it is natural to assume everything is amazing because it's the first time you're seeing it. When you've seen enough anime you realize not everything is good, and that most things (like any other industry) is actually shit.

To say something has increased or decreased in quality is to look at trends in the history of anime. I myself haven't watched that many series but every decade is filled with largely crap and forgettable series and those few timeless works that will become classics. So to answer the initial question, I doubt quality has increased or decreased much to be a significant trend. Every year there's often something that will interest "veteran" fans, but we all understand that the industry, like any other, has mostly mediocre works so it's up to ourselves to find the gems, rather than lazily state it has all gone downhill.

And the other guy has a point. If you've seen enough works, you know that nothing is truly original. It just depend on whether you like the repeated material or not. For example, let's look at sword of the stranger. There is pretty much no originality in its plot or characters. And it is filled with cliche with almost no character development. It is, however, one of the best action movies there is. But quality action is nothing original. And I would love to see another samurai flick with awesome action scenes. You definitely don't need originality to enjoy shows.

The first part makes alot of sense, never of thought of it that way. And i agree that it doesnt have to be original. Take Ae no exorcist for example. NOTHING new there but it was fun to watch. But sword of the stranger and quite the artwork and deisgn. The soundtrack was first class and the fighting scenes too. That makes the show something different, even if samuraianimes is common.

I just dont want to see you're regular anime plot build up etc. You know like dedicating one episode to introduce one character at the beginning of a show. Stuff like that makes the story ridiculous and it feels forced and not natural. Then if the rest of the show is about a guy with a swords who fights evil or something more special like someone writing names in a book doesn't matter even if i want something more unique.
May 28, 2012 1:57 PM

Sep 2008
Yvese said:
You really have not watched much anime to be able to say its quality has decreased.
eing original means it has either never been done before, or was the first to do it which, in this day and age, is near impossible.

This is so..... much bullshit. Books have been written for over a thousand years, yet authors write stuff that have never been written before. Same with TV shows these days, alot of great stuff is being made.
May 28, 2012 2:07 PM

Dec 2011
Post-Josh said:
While I'm no anime veteran, I'm going to assume it's just you. People say the same thing about the music industry all the time, yet there is more incredible stuff being released on a daily basis than I could even have time to listen to. I think the bottom line is you just have to be willing to put in some effort to find the good stuff. The only anime that's going to come to you is the popular stuff, which is hit and miss.

On the lots of shit anime coming out topic: Remember that there was probably a lot of bad anime in the past too, it wasn't just classics upon classics with anime fans drinking champagne enjoying pure gold releases. It's just that no one talks about the bad ones anymore, because they were, well, bad.

Well said.

sasuke_kun said:
Yvese said:
eing original means it has either never been done before, or was the first to do it which, in this day and age, is near impossible.

This is so..... much bullshit. Books have been written for over a thousand years, yet authors write stuff that have never been written before. Same with TV shows these days, alot of great stuff is being made.

It's not that much bullshit.. lol. Many things if not most in fact aren't that original. Subconsciously or not, most artists and authors draw from things that they've past read/heard or watched and incorporate them into their works.
May 28, 2012 2:16 PM

Sep 2008
pendragonuzumaki said:
Post-Josh said:

Well said.

sasuke_kun said:
Yvese said:

It's not that much bullshit.. lol. Many things if not most in fact aren't that original. Subconsciously or not, most artists and authors draw from things that they've past read/heard or watched and incorporate them into their works.

Yeah, people get inspired. Mind blowing, eh?

We obviously doesnt define the term original the same here, when is say it mean stuff that stands out from the majority. Not one of kind shows.
One can stand out from the majority through alot of things but mostly its about _the story and how its written_, not the theme it portrays. Lets take Monster for example. Cop chasing a suspect who is innocent. Have been done before... alot. But Monster is one of the most unparalleled animes out there.
May 28, 2012 3:06 PM

Apr 2011
Looking at your list, you hardly seem to have seen enough of a variety of anime as it is to be qualified to comment on the overall quality of any year or "era" of anime.

And going off of your MAL graph (http://mal.oko.im/sasuke_kun) your thread title is more baseless than it already was; your average score for anime in the 2000s is 8.26, and it gets progressively lower each decade you go back. So really your opinion seems to be the opposite; at least until 2010, anime was getting better and better.

But those are just statistics, so it just seems that you can't seem to find good anime of recent years; not that "the quality of anime has decreased". You listed your favorite four and the most recent ended in '08. Here are just some anime that are generally popular and viewed as good/great by at least a majority of viewers, that were released in 2008 or later:

You say the quality of anime has decreased. Yet it's not like every studio out there has simultaneously started to churn out lesser-quality products. Every year, every decade, are a variety of "good" and "bad" anime. This applies for all mediums of entertainment, from books to movies to television. It's not as black and white as "anime from Year X is better than anime from Year Y" or "anime from back in the day was way better than the crap they're spewing out now." Those are just groundless statements.
May 28, 2012 3:07 PM

Feb 2005
Sound's like a case of the jade, yep.

In the end, "originality" is just a fancy term for the same old shit wrapped in different paper, maybe with some extra bacon, unusual spice or a side order of salad instead of the fries. Obviously you will be less excited about sinking your teeth in it once you realize this and can predict with unnerving accuracy what kind of plot twists and tropes they'll pull in the next episode.

But with such a small list, you've obviously got loads of awesome stuff left. LoGH, Ghost in the Shell, Rose of Versailles, Cowboy Bebop, Utena, Gundam, NGE, Perfect Blue, Macross, Nana, Aria, Votoms, Slayers, Baccano, Haruhi, TTGL etc.

The best thing to do when you're feeling like this is to ignore the currently running anime and go dig for some highly acclaimed classics for a while and see if that helps.
May 28, 2012 3:09 PM

May 2008
I've noticed this issue with my judgement on anime as well. You're definitely not alone on this one. It seems like to me it's more difficult to pick out a good number of anime per season as the year goes by.

I'd like to add that our ability to predict an anime's plot based on it's PV, description and/or promo picture enhances over the years but at the same time gets the best of us. When we read a description about an anime with a typical shounen hero who gains some mysterious power (typical, but bear with me,) we automatically are going to think that there's nothing special or original about that show because we've already seen it done plenty of times in the past. But what if there's that slim chance that this show may have some interesting qualities to it and we let our judgement decide that the anime is crap before it aired?

Looking for good anime is hard when you've seen some great anime in the past, but I believe they're out there. My suggestion to you is to try picking out anime that has the same director as your favorites. Some of them are still active in the anime industry, so yeah.
May 28, 2012 3:42 PM

May 2009
Well, what if it's a question of genres? What if a lot of the anime being produced doesn't appeal to him? For me a few scans of the 2012 spring/summer anime season by a google search shows a lot school/romance stuff and a lot of shounen. Neither of those genres appeal to me that much unless they manage to be so good to warrant a must watch regardless of genre. Still, i managed to find several things from just 2012 that look interesting:

Uchuu Kyoudai, Ozuma,Zetman, Fate/zero 2, Eureka 7 AO,(maybe AKB0048), Kingdom, Madoka Box (it's gainax why not),Moyashimon Returns, and Kyoukai Senjou No Horizon II.

@rechbeets - 10 Episodes into mirai nikki the show is kind of dissapointing, the comedy sometimes kills the suspense feeling, yuno gets on my nerves because the only thing she thinks about is protecting yuki, the role of the diaries tends to be pretty arbitrary since they can change due to any action, so there isn't really a 'battle of wits' type thing going on. It's probably going to get a 6 from me. Still, I haven't watched anything else on that list yet so I can't make a claim about quality.

However, I'm hardly qualified to comment on the state of anime as a whole however since I haven't watched that much anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
May 29, 2012 1:53 AM

Sep 2008
recheebts said:
Looking at your list, you hardly seem to have seen enough of a variety of anime as it is to be qualified to comment on the overall quality of any year or "era" of anime.

And going off of your MAL graph (http://mal.oko.im/sasuke_kun) your thread title is more baseless than it already was; your average score for anime in the 2000s is 8.26, and it gets progressively lower each decade you go back. So really your opinion seems to be the opposite; at least until 2010, anime was getting better and better.

But those are just statistics, so it just seems that you can't seem to find good anime of recent years; not that "the quality of anime has decreased". You listed your favorite four and the most recent ended in '08. Here are just some anime that are generally popular and viewed as good/great by at least a majority of viewers, that were released in 2008 or later:

You say the quality of anime has decreased. Yet it's not like every studio out there has simultaneously started to churn out lesser-quality products. Every year, every decade, are a variety of "good" and "bad" anime. This applies for all mediums of entertainment, from books to movies to television. It's not as black and white as "anime from Year X is better than anime from Year Y" or "anime from back in the day was way better than the crap they're spewing out now." Those are just groundless statements.

Ive seen/given 8 of those shows a chance. Please dont use my list here as an list of what i ave seen. Its not accurate.
May 29, 2012 4:59 AM

May 2012
not so much, we are just getting older and seeing the same ideas rehashed over and similarities between each of anime we have watched. that is going to happen in anything we do ^^ to anybody watching anime for the first time it will seem as awesome to them as it did for our first anime :)
wubwubwubwub
May 29, 2012 9:53 AM

Apr 2011
What do you consider crap?
I feel shounens that are on your favorites to be crap sometimes, with all its predictable patterns, and it's a lot of producing of that.
May 29, 2012 9:57 AM

Sep 2010
fantomu said:
What do you consider crap?
I feel shounens that are on your favorites to be crap sometimes, with all its predictable patterns, and it's a lot of producing of that.

Everything is predictable to a degree.
A story will have a protagonist and antagonist.
That protagonist will go though a series of trials until the end of his/her story and will most likely prevail against the main antagonist by the time the story is over.

The fun part of enjoying stories is usually the journey even if you know the destination.

May 30, 2012 8:51 AM

Feb 2010
Commenting on this subject can be really touchy but I'm going to attempt to give my opinion without sounding rude or offending anyone- So here I go..

In my opinion anime has gotten a lot better, and will keep getting better with time. Look at the new anime that was just released spring 2012, the animation and execution of these anime hits home base compared to older shows such as Naruto, Chobits, and Inuyasha. I mean sure they too got better with time but they still do not meet up with the quality of newly released anime.

Now with that said it does not mean bad anime are not being made now, look at Kill me Baby- Its rather new but blew chunks all over everything anime. I think your problem is that you are too picky with what you watch and have the mind set of a nostalgic anime and want to compare everything else to it. My advice would be to just watch something, even if you think its bad, after a few episodes it may grow on you.
May 30, 2012 10:00 AM

May 2012
It's just you and probably your nostalgia factor.
Every year there are some good animes and bad ones.
And sometimes there are excellent ones.
So no anime in general hasn't lose quality. In fact, since the technology has been advancing, it should be getting better.

May 30, 2012 12:14 PM

Feb 2012
Having looked through your list. I think I know what your problem is. The quality of anime has not truly decreased. However, the quality of SHONEN anime (which was already too low for me to get interested in many shows) has dropped exponentially. And that's all that's really on your list, Shonen or animes that have many shonen themes.
You don't have to go watch Cardcaptor Sakura or anything, but you do need to expand your horizons a bit. Try expanding the action/adventure genres to your list. There are way more of those and they are usually of higher quality. The one Shonen anime that came out this season is Zetman. Check it out if you wish but it's kind of a fail.
For you, I would recommend titles such as Black Cat, Record of Lodos War and sequel, Gankutsuou, GetBackers, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Hundred Stories, Mars Daybreak, Mirai Nikki (TV), Another, Outlaw Star, Paranoia Agent, Saiyuki and Trigun. Oh yeah. And Gintama.
sisgoodMay 30, 2012 1:04 PM
May 31, 2012 3:48 PM

Dec 2007
I must say that recently anime is not as good as it used to be, I agree with THE name of the topic...

But you're quite an interesting one...For a person who gave a 10 to Naruto I think you have absolutely no right to talk about annoying fillers and etc... :D

Well I guess I should begin with the fact that your list is quite poor, so I don't really understand what exactly are you talking/complaining about...You haven't seen enough to make a comparison... But mainly anime is a repetative endless cycle, so you won't find many "original" ones...

IF you want something original try watcing animes aired before 2006. Don't put flashy sparkly faaabulous overrated bullshit like Code Geass(sorry I hated it) in the "originals"...they are NOT!!! -.-

Basically you need to see more older shows with not so sparkly art but very good story, OR stop watching anime...read more books -_-
May 31, 2012 3:50 PM

Apr 2012
simple answer: you got older so your tastes changed
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
May 31, 2012 4:04 PM

Jan 2011
After many years of watching a lot of anime you start to think that you have seen it all. It is true that as you get older you won't like as many series. As i got older i looked at the first few animes i watched and thought they sucked, why did i watch them? I will admit that the past few season i noticed that originality is hard to come by. However there have been some pretty good animes coming out, but you just need to notice them when they do. I am not a very picky person with my anime so i can't understand how you feel.
May 31, 2012 4:09 PM

Mar 2012
No!
Some how i think the anime quality have increase! All 2009 to now the anime graphic and quality have a big difference :O Their getting better!!
May 31, 2012 4:36 PM

Oct 2010
I don't think quality's dropped, but I do find that anime have become less 'experimental' in the past few years and just go with the flow. (But to a certain extent, I think this is true in every anime era.) This may well be because I don't enjoy the slice of life anime boom that's been happening lately, so I don't enjoy the majority of new shows.
I can still find a number of new series (in the past few years 2008 and newer)that I've enjoyed tremendously. However, my absolute favorite shows are all pre 2007 (then there's FMA Brotherhood, but I'd call that an exception, since it is a remake afterall)
I don't think that quality is decreasing, but the market is becoming orientated towards an audience which I'm not a part of, so I'm unable to enjoy the new shows as much. And that's pretty much all I'm gonna say about the topic. I'm sure the SoL/moe era will pass eventually and we'll get some new trend. Or at least I hope so.
May 31, 2012 4:45 PM

Feb 2011
It's just you.
May 31, 2012 5:10 PM

Oct 2010
Your favorite anime is bleach, you have many more amazing shows to uncover
May 31, 2012 5:12 PM

Dec 2009
When we look back on older shows, it's always the same gang that gets mentioned, such as Neon Genesis Evangelion, Excel Saga, Slayers and whatnot. Only big names. That is because no-one cares about the the rest and as a result, they are also harder to find.

Today, we follow anime seasons and we watch EVERYTHING. That is why quality can seem mixed, as we don't know the "big names", since that is what history will tell us.

In ten years, the question will still be the same, but we will add, perhaps, Haruhi, Madoka Magica and other heavy hitters to the classics. And not care the slightest about stuff like Uppotte or whatever it is.

--------------------

I like the older art style though, the one from about 10 years back. It clicks with me.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

May 31, 2012 5:17 PM

Jan 2012
sasuke_kun said:
deadleeserious said:
No.

. Maybe Naruto but Shippuuden is awful it made the show worse for me. And i used to be a narutard, litteraly.

Then why is Shippuuden in your favorites?
May 31, 2012 5:18 PM

Jan 2008
CG there, CG here, CG everywhere. This mostly applies to mecha.

Anyways, I wouldn't say quality has dropped, because the quality in terms of overall art, usage of color, etc definitively has improved compare Trigun (1998) with Trigun: Badland Rumble (2010). Not the oldest of old but it's not like the TS's series listed are either. Though you can definetly say a lot of character designs are generic/reused for modern anime. *cough*

It might be the execution or the plot/story itself that has deteriorated since everything these days is re-used or just branched off from another/multiple of other series.
May 31, 2012 5:19 PM

Dec 2009
pff, NO! its just you...
May 31, 2012 5:54 PM

Mar 2008
I occasionally think the same thing, but every once in a while there comes a new anime that lets me know that there is indeed still quality anime being produced.
May 31, 2012 6:47 PM
Dec 2011
This thread is funny.

I don't have a problem with you feeling that way, but it's hard to accept it as valid and read thur the thread.

There are at least a handful of great recent anime gifs and banners in the short 3 pages of this thread.

Holo's smiling at me, Lady Eucliwood is dancing
Yuno blood lust making me uncomfortable
Mei and Angle are looking threw me.

Your wrong.....
Jun 7, 2012 4:52 AM

Jul 2008
The amount of Ecchi is too damn high.
Saying that -- there's still the same ratio of good:bad anime per year, I guess?
Jun 7, 2012 5:44 AM

Apr 2012
It is most definitely just you.
Jun 7, 2012 6:30 AM

Feb 2010
deadleeserious said:
sasuke_kun said:
deadleeserious said:
No.

^^^^^^

Jun 7, 2012 6:58 AM
Mar 2011
it has i lived the change 1st hand [ art History degee holder] art has become a lot less detailed than it use to be most of the so called Top Quitly anime of the last five years were/are made the People who give Otaku a bad rep [the waifu crowd espiacly] and Noddle people

or its bad cash in vn adaptions that compress the story far to much from the scouce that uslealyy make it 1/8-1/10 the lenght of the source[ thush maing it badly made

Lack of original Productions 70's 80's and to some extent 90's were full of them very much less in past five years or maybe even ten years

say 100 new tv anime that only that way cuase there less Money to make 30 plus episode oringal shows anime has not fully rocovered from 90's crash imo taking infaltion into account the Industry makes less than it did in the pre crash years less money in = less money to put in to new productions so that = less quilty simple fact of life
DateYutakaJun 7, 2012 7:15 AM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 7, 2012 7:05 AM
Jul 2018
How many degrees do you have Enjolras? Every post you ever make lists you having yet another qualification.....
Jun 7, 2012 7:11 AM
Mar 2011
deadleeserious said:
How many degrees do you have Enjolras? Every post you ever make lists you having yet another qualification.....

art history and music technology are the two drgees i have
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 7, 2012 7:29 AM

May 2009
yokaii said:
I don't think quality's dropped, but I do find that anime have become less 'experimental' in the past few years and just go with the flow. (But to a certain extent, I think this is true in every anime era.) This may well be because I don't enjoy the slice of life anime boom that's been happening lately, so I don't enjoy the majority of new shows.
I can still find a number of new series (in the past few years 2008 and newer)that I've enjoyed tremendously. However, my absolute favorite shows are all pre 2007 (then there's FMA Brotherhood, but I'd call that an exception, since it is a remake afterall)
I don't think that quality is decreasing, but the market is becoming orientated towards an audience which I'm not a part of, so I'm unable to enjoy the new shows as much. And that's pretty much all I'm gonna say about the topic. I'm sure the SoL/moe era will pass eventually and we'll get some new trend. Or at least I hope so.

Pretty much this. None of the premises of slice of life shows really appeal to me, other than a few things I want to watch like bartender, azumanga daioh, GTO, Welcome to the NHK, Genshiken and Niea_7.

I watched aria which is kind of held up as 'the' slice of life show. I watched the first 13 episode chunk, and there was basically no plot, and it was a slice of nothing show. However, that's fine, but it needs good characters to make up for the lack of plot. Well, it didn't really have that. The basic archetypes were fine, but they never really progressed beyond them. It wasted time on purple prose and sentimental gibberish, and the reactions and interactions of the characters were so moe many of them might as well have been the same character in many instances:"my my" or "Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!?". I'm not judging the entire slice of life genre, but hopefully if it's going to be a longterm trend it's going to need to adopt something other than cuteness and objectification of women. I can be plot, comedy or character, but something needs to set these shows apart. Course, maybe I'm in the minority in thinking this way, and maybe the hardcore japanese otaku market is perfectly fine having 50 million more K-on! type shows.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - 6 hours ago

26 by BlueBullet178 »»
52 seconds ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 7 hours ago

15 by Jonas-K »»
3 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - 7 hours ago

11 by Ten »»
12 minutes ago

» Light novel adaptation and boring ending

Ri-KoRin - 1 hour ago

2 by billybub »»
22 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 27 minutes ago

0 by Donkunsan »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.