Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 27, 2012 6:35 AM

Apr 2012
Hello :)! I'm thinking about moving to Japan sometime in the future but I have no idea how it actually is there. The things I know is basically anime and earthquakes xD. But if you have been there or know anything interesting about Japan please tell me ^_^.
BinmingulMay 27, 2012 7:00 AM

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 27, 2012 8:27 AM

Apr 2012
Japanese Nationality

As you can see here. Its not easy to acquire Japanese citizenship, and since the Japanese don't technically allow dual citizenship, there is no turning back.
May 27, 2012 8:31 AM
Jul 2018
dang that whole no dual citizenship thing kinda blows.
May 27, 2012 10:00 AM

Dec 2011
I'd say before making such a huge decision, go and vacation there. If you like it as much as you thought you would start planning. Moving there is quite difficult, and you don't HAVE to get Japanese citizenship as you can get residency after 10 years, but if you plan on living there the rest of your life citizenship is probably best as it only requires 5 years of living in Japan.

If you can try and get some sort of summer program with a college and visit there for a semester to learn Japanese and witness the culture first-hand. I plan on doing a summer abroad at my college myself, while taking Japanese language/speech courses.
May 27, 2012 10:03 AM

Apr 2011
You actually learn a lot of Japan from anime.
May 27, 2012 10:27 AM

Mar 2012
As said you don't have to become a Japanese national to stay there, a friend of mine took a 1 year working VISA and worked in Japan for a year after the year was up her employee there sponsored her to stay longer (iirc it involves that employer paying a sum of money to the government which entitled her to stay there), after 10 years you apply for residency which as long as you've not broken any laws and paid taxes is merely a formality.

Although not all countries are eligible for a 1 year VISA, the UK is.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 27, 2012 10:36 AM
Mar 2011
If you want my advice, stop making the "xD" face.
May 27, 2012 10:46 AM

Apr 2012
Ryatt said:
I'd say before making such a huge decision, go and vacation there. If you like it as much as you thought you would start planning.

what the hell that's terrible advice. vacations have a positive stigma no matter where you go.
May 27, 2012 10:51 AM

Jun 2008
Annoiato said:
Ryatt said:
I'd say before making such a huge decision, go and vacation there. If you like it as much as you thought you would start planning.

what the hell that's terrible advice. vacations have a positive stigma no matter where you go.
'Positive stigma' is kind of contradictory.

And it's probably better than viewing them afar before even setting a foot to the place.

I guess go as an international student or something to lose the "vacation-y" feel to it.
May 27, 2012 10:57 AM

Nov 2008
I recommend the JET program and teach English there then apply for residency after 10 years, just stay away from the financial sector as you will need to know how East Asia's system of business works in the financial sector which is different from the US or Europe.

May 27, 2012 10:57 AM

Jun 2008
Slumdogg said:
Hello :)! I'm thinking about moving to Japan.

When you are young you make lots of silly thoughts. You will grow out of it.
May 27, 2012 11:00 AM
Feb 2012
May 27, 2012 11:04 AM

Jun 2011
fantomu said:

Not really.
May 27, 2012 11:04 AM

Oct 2010
Monad said:
Slumdogg said:

Pretty much this.

And judging from your original post, you just want to go there because of anime. Disregarding other social and economical aspects of life there.
May 27, 2012 11:46 AM

Apr 2012
Well it sounds silly but it's kind of my dream to live in Japan to get "closer" to anime (events and stuff). And I need a dream to deal with the boring reality :/. But I do feel kinda sad about it now lol.
BinmingulMay 27, 2012 11:55 AM

May 27, 2012 11:51 AM

Jan 2011
Hahah, you need a bachelor's degree to get a work visa alone or do JET for like...3-4 years. You need a ton of money and to learn the language AND get your visa approved etc etc. In reality, you probably won't be able to live there if you think Japan is all about anime and earthquakes.
May 27, 2012 11:54 AM

Oct 2009
Annoiato said:
Ryatt said:

Almost everyone in Japan is xenophobic. So don't you worry. He's going to have a terrible experience. Plus, he'll probably get tentacle raped.

On that note, Slumdogg, I would suggest looking into Japanese culture through books and guides, not anecdotes from MAL. And visiting the place first is definitely important if you plan to integrate your life there. You don't want to make a mistake and end up hating the place once you've moved from your current home.

Mogtaki said:
In reality, you probably won't be able to live there if you think Japan is all about anime and earthquakes.

Wait, it's not?
lucjanMay 27, 2012 11:57 AM

May 27, 2012 12:06 PM

Jan 2008
Anime and earthquakes, I'm moving to Japan! XD
May 27, 2012 12:11 PM

Oct 2009
Anime and earthquakes are the two paramount interests of mine. It seems like Japan and I are meant to be... But Japan's citzenship-process is impeding our fated union.
I guess...
lucjanMay 27, 2012 12:15 PM

May 27, 2012 12:12 PM

Nov 2008
lucjan said:
Annoiato said:
Ryatt said:

Almost everyone in Japan is xenophobic. So don't you worry. He's going to have a terrible experience. Plus, he'll probably get tentacle raped.

On that note, Slumdogg, I would suggest looking into Japanese culture through books and guides, not anecdotes from MAL. And visiting the place first is definitely important if you plan to integrate your life there. You don't want to make a mistake and end up hating the place once you've moved from your current home.

Mogtaki said:
In reality, you probably won't be able to live there if you think Japan is all about anime and earthquakes.

Wait, it's not?

I loled at the tentacle rape comment

Japan is pretty xenophobic but the reactions you get vary from city to city and the person you deal with, you may get a favorable outcome (uncommon), a few or a lot of stares and odd looks (likely) or just outright hate (not as common as you think if you behave).

Since you are young I suggest getting Rosetta Stone and learn the language, then look in manuals and such to learn about the culture, also try the food. Then after college go into JET or equivalent for 3-4 years.

May 27, 2012 12:14 PM

Mar 2012
Mogtaki said:
Hahah, you need a bachelor's degree to get a work visa alone or do JET for like...3-4 years. You need a ton of money and to learn the language AND get your visa approved etc etc. In reality, you probably won't be able to live there if you think Japan is all about anime and earthquakes.

You don't for a work visa at all, although there are a limited number (I think it's like 2000 per year) so obviously people with higher levels of education have a higher priority.

My friend I mentioned didn't have a bachelor's and she's living in Japan now after going there originally on a year's visa.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 27, 2012 12:14 PM

Mar 2012
Slumdogg said:
Well it sounds silly but it's kind of my dream to live in Japan to get "closer" to anime (events and stuff). And I need a dream to deal with the boring reality :/. But I do feel kinda sad about it now lol.

Don't feel sad about it at all, and don't let anyone put you off either, if that's what you want to do then do it.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 27, 2012 12:17 PM

Jan 2011
I know, right?? Totally going there for anime and earthquakes!

Heheh, but I really am going to Japan for a 2 year program as a part of my course, I have no choice unless I'd rather China and it's a definite no to China.

Mar 2012
Hoppy said:
Japan is pretty xenophobic but the reactions you get vary from city to city and the person you deal with, you may get a favorable outcome (uncommon), a few or a lot of stares and odd looks (likely) or just outright hate (not as common as you think if you behave).

It's not really something you see from younger people from Japan, as with everything it's a generally a generation thing.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"

Dec 2011
Annoiato said:

Any experience is better than none. I continued on to say that the best would be to go to Japan with a summer abroad program from a college/university. Not only do you get to live in whichever city they choose, but you learn the language and quite a bit about the culture throughout the time you stay.

It's not like I told them to vacation in Tokyo and expect it to be like that everywhere.

Slumdogg said:

I hear from a couple of friends of mine who were originally from Japan that they aren't as "big" on anime as we think they are. Just like it isn't too common to know people in your immediate city who loves anime like you do, its kind of the same way in most areas of Japan. My friends being from Osaka and Nagoya.
May 27, 2012 12:18 PM

Oct 2009
Mogtaki said:

Heheh, but I really am going to Japan for a 2 year program as a part of my course, I have no choice unless I'd rather China and it's a definite no to China.

Dude, China wants your labor. And who are you to turn them down!? >:I

May 27, 2012 12:22 PM

Nov 2008
lucjan said:
Mogtaki said:

I'd turn them down too, place is way too corrupt still, if anything Taiwan would be the best bet if you couldn't make it to Japan.

May 27, 2012 12:28 PM

Apr 2012
NicoleB said:
Slumdogg said:

Don't feel sad about it at all, and don't let anyone put you off either, if that's what you want to do then do it.
Thank you, I appreciate it :)

May 27, 2012 12:29 PM
Feb 2012
You do realise that the life in Japan isn't really like in the anime you're watching? Sure, most anime is based off it, but the reality isn't the same. You don't know if you want to live in Japan until you've actually been there and experienced everything.

Speaking as a fellow Swede, I know there are so many things that differ from our culture and it might overwhelm you. I have been thinking the same things you have, about moving to Japan and live there, mainly because of the anime aspect, but also because I truly love the language and their culture. However, I've realised that it is a huge step and the best way to go about it is to actually LIVE there. What I mean by that is that you go to Japan and live there as you would have if you were Japanese. Visiting in a different country where most things are already fixed for you is totally different than actually trying to get things to go around (economy and stuff).

Personally, I'm planning on going to Japan for about a year and study Japanese and japanology. I know it's not the same as living there, but at least I am going to spend a longer period there and get more accustomed to things. If I don't like it, I'll be back home in a year and have gained major life experience. If you're serious about it, try to go to Japan for a longer period to see if you REALLY like it and it's not a spur of the moment thing. Life is about experiencing things and being happy, so go for whatever makes you happy! :3
maluser9999May 27, 2012 2:05 PM
May 27, 2012 12:32 PM

Mar 2012
Even if he ends up not liking it or it being different from what he expects, it's still a worthwhile experience to go ahead and do it.

Just the same as living in any foreign country is, an experience that in my humble opinion, everyone should try.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 27, 2012 12:37 PM

Apr 2012
mirage_ said:
You do realise that the life in Japan isn't really like in the anime you're watching? Sure, most anime is based off it, but the reality isn't the same. You don't know if you want to live in Japan until you've actually been there and experienced everything.

Speaking as a fellow Swede, I know there are so many things that differ from our culture and it might overwhelm you. I have been thinking the same things you have, about moving to Japan and live there, mainly because of the anime aspect. However, I've realised that it is a huge step and the best way to go about it is to actually LIVE there. What I mean by that is that you go to Japan and live there as you would have if you were Japanese. Visiting in a different country where most things are already fixed for you is totally different than actually trying to get things to go around (economy and stuff).

Personally, I'm planning on going to Japan for about a year and study Japanese and japanology. I know it's not the same as living there, but at least I am going to spend a longer period there and get more accustomed to things. If I don't like it, I'll be back home in a year and have gained major life experience. If you're serious about it, try to go to Japan for a longer period to see if you REALLY like it and it's not a spur of the moment thing. Life is about experiencing things and being happy, so go for whatever makes you happy! :3
"Living" there for a while like you said is probably the smartest thing to do. The road there seem clearer, thank you :)

May 27, 2012 12:37 PM

Dec 2011
Mirage made a good point. Do whatever you can to experience it as candid as possible.

Remember by living there you will have to buy food, clothing, everything from your surroundings. Having a year of experience or even a couple months is better as you get to know an area and its stores, malls, etc. Jumping into it without any experience will be a pretty big culture shock, I'd expect it to be that way for anyone migrating from one country to another.
May 27, 2012 12:40 PM

Apr 2012
Tachii said:
Annoiato said:
Ryatt said:

'Positive stigma' is kind of contradictory.

And it's probably better than viewing them afar before even setting a foot to the place.

I guess go as an international student or something to lose the "vacation-y" feel to it.
yeah caught me there. My bad.
May 27, 2012 12:40 PM

Jan 2011
lucjan said:
Mogtaki said:

It's not so much as 'turning them down' as it is 'not willing to work for 14 hours for a pay that is worth 5 hours work', plus it's not exactly safe to be British there when compared to Japan.

I've been told I'll get work experience in a botanical garden of some kind...my kind of work.
May 27, 2012 12:51 PM

Sep 2007
I sure hope you have a better and more realistic vision of actually wanting to move to Japan than wanting to live out your ideal anime lifestyle. Reality is a total bitch once it sets in. And really, start doing some research. Wanting to move to a country yet knowing absolutely nothing about it outside of "anime and earthquakes" is a terrible start.
May 27, 2012 2:02 PM

Dec 2009
Monad said:
Slumdogg said:

Indeed... especially if you are moving mainly because of anime.
May 27, 2012 2:07 PM

Oct 2011
Good boy. Japan needs more immigrants, or Jit will collapse because of the declining birth rates and aging population. Unfortunately, their racism/xenophoby scares immigrants away. Too bad the government's not doing their best to fix this.
I see dead people.
May 27, 2012 2:08 PM

Oct 2011
Narmy said:
fantomu said:

Not really.

He was sarcastic, obviously.
I see dead people.
May 27, 2012 2:14 PM

Apr 2011
Narmy said:
fantomu said:

Not really.

Of course it's nothing compared to all there is, but some stuff.
May 27, 2012 2:19 PM

Mar 2012
Nintendosoni said:
Good boy. Japan needs more immigrants, or Jit will collapse because of the declining birth rates and aging population. Unfortunately, their racism/xenophoby scares immigrants away. Too bad the government's not doing their best to fix this.

The xenophobia in Japan isn't really that big a deal at all, you'll find it from elderly people but most young people it won't even be an issue (mostly, you'll find racists/nationalists in every generation).
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 27, 2012 3:16 PM

Aug 2007
Awesome, more 'gaijins', just what we need, www

~ Anyways, you are not alone; idk why but most of my non-Japanese friends think Japan is like a haven lol. One of them actually ended up moving in Japan to become an English tutor and told me coping with the language (even though I gave him some pointers/fluent in it) and the people is actually quite hard but an experience.

Also: if you're moving just because of anime/planning to date a Japanese and not a career choice, then I would advise you to stop right now.
May 27, 2012 3:44 PM

Jan 2011
Unless you have a political job or are trying to do business in Japan (you aren't)otherwise you'll be looking at a career in English tutoring or something language related. Rethink your life and your priorities I doubt going to Japan is a good idea. And grow the fuck up.
May 27, 2012 3:57 PM

Mar 2012
JonyJC said:
Unless you have a political job or are trying to do business in Japan (you aren't)otherwise you'll be looking at a career in English tutoring or something language related. Rethink your life and your priorities I doubt going to Japan is a good idea. And grow the fuck up.

And just who are you to tell someone else what to do with there life exactly?
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 27, 2012 4:00 PM

Jun 2008
NicoleB said:
JonyJC said:

He asked for opinions and advice. So just about anyone here has the right to tell him since he asked for it.
May 27, 2012 4:18 PM

Mar 2012
Monad said:
NicoleB said:
JonyJC said:

He asked for opinions and advice. So just about anyone here has the right to tell him since he asked for it.

There is giving advice and then there is being an asshole.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 27, 2012 5:21 PM

Jul 2007
JonyJC said:

"Grow the fuck up" is an insult, its not giving him any information. Unless you want to make enemies on MAL i suggest you watch your tone.

May 27, 2012 5:30 PM

Oct 2009
link9us said:
JonyJC said:

"Grow the fuck up" is an insult, its not giving him any information. Unless you want to make enemies on MAL i suggest you watch your tone.

Hear dat, Jony!? You best watch your tone, young man, or link9us will become your arch-nemesis.

May 27, 2012 5:51 PM

Jul 2007
lucjan said:
link9us said:
JonyJC said:

Hear dat, Jony!? You best watch your tone, young man, or link9us will become your arch-nemesis.

Gear Third - Gomu Gomu Gomu JET PISTOL!!!!

That one is for him anyways this is not supposed to be a spam topic so back on topic.

I have never actually been to japan either my self. Its like my dream vacation one of these days when i get enough funds to go. Although i don't know jack about Japanese so it would be a damn good idea to learn some Japanese before going their. That is the best advice i can give the OP.

May 27, 2012 6:06 PM

Dec 2009
@link9us

Yup, you definitely want to learn some of the language. I made the mistake of not knowing any Japanese when I went. Needless to say I got lost in a small town in the middle of nowhere and had to sleep on a JR Station bench for a whole night.

I was so embarrassed when I woke up. I felt like an ant.
May 27, 2012 7:18 PM

Mar 2008
I'd have to agree with learning Japanese first. That should keep you busy for a few years, at least.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.