Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Poll: Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars Episode 1 Discussion

Jul 31, 2014 11:04 AM

The "Boléro" scene is like the anime equivalent of the "Ride of the Valkyries" scene in Apocalypse Now.

Oct 20, 2014 3:26 PM

Oh my that was pretty great. Loved the action and the music that went with it.

Gotta love characters who are good at outsmarting others :)

stAtic91 said:
Well that was fucking awesome. If the OVA is 110 episodes of this, I'm going to love it.

^This.

Dec 7, 2014 2:11 PM

Amazing quality I must say, I really loved this, the atmosphere, the characters and the overall concept! Not only that the fact that Wakamoto Norio is in it makes it even better! I also love the choice of music and well I do wonder what the other movies and main serie will offer us!

Feb 4, 2015 6:09 AM

Ah, why didn't I watch it before the series... oh well.

Anyway it was great for many verious reasons. The biggest would probably be that I was able to see Reinheart in full glory yet again. Because sadly later in the series I can't say the same.

The one thing I like the most about this movie though is actually it's title.

"My conquest is the sea of stars."

Sounds so EPIC!

Apr 20, 2015 10:14 PM

A pretty good start, the music really adds a lot.
I wonder if the characters on opposing sides will ever meet face to face. I want to see that. I also hope to learn a detailed explanation as to each of the sides positions and what they are fighting for specifically.

Apr 25, 2015 4:09 PM

This is a really nice movie, I would love to see more of this series soon. Yang Wenli and Reinhard first meeting and it was a great one.

Jun 11, 2015 5:32 PM

What a fag yang is not knowing coffee > tea still liked him more than Reinhard though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jun 29, 2015 4:41 PM

This was a half decent movie, although it's nothing I would call great.

I don't think I'll be watching that 110 episode OVA anytime soon.

Jul 15, 2015 11:34 PM

THIS IS TOO EXCITING !! GODDAMMIT.

ALSO REINHEART AND YANG WENLI ARE AWESOME CHARACTERS
Given the right situation , the right story , anyone can be shaped into Snake.
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2

Aug 8, 2015 5:20 AM

Great movie, and a great set up for the OVA.

I love the dialogue, it's just top notch stuff. It's very intriguing and I love absorbing it all. The music is great too.

I don't get the hate for the art style at all. I think it's quite awesome, the lines are great and I love the colors. The animation is quite good for it's time too.

All I can say about Reinhard and Yang Wenli is that they just radiate this captivating aura. I just had immense respect for them throughout the whole movie. I think I like Reinhard a bit more than Yang, but we'll see if that changes in the future.

It reminded me so much of one of my favorite DS games "Infinite Space", so this series bodes well for me.

Basically:
stAtic91 said:
Well that was fucking awesome. If the OVA is 110 episodes of this, I'm going to love it.

Aug 19, 2015 10:56 PM

"The Commander must be trying to get rid of him"

"How did you figure that out?"

"Because it just happens"

Yeah no, fuck off with that logic.

Also, the way that war is handled feels like a bastardized game of chess. This is set hundreds of years into the future in space and yet the commanders limit their war zone to a flat 2D linear plane? Are you fucking kidding me? I've seen fanfiction that brought more depth and strategic thinking to their make-believe wars.

The animation and quality of the art is amazing though. It even rivals space battles of today I could say.

8/10 because it was pretty.

Aug 22, 2015 4:37 PM

The music didn't match with the battle scenes. That's my only complaint.
It was awesome seeing Reinhard and Wenli battle again.

Jan 1, 2016 8:40 PM
News Team
Overkilled Red

The collection of classical pieces used in this movie alone was superb. The art style and animation quality too, were gorgeous, considering the time it was produced.

In regards to the characters, both main leads are likable but I prefer Yang Wenli a bit more than Reinhard; at least for the moment, mainly due to how courteous he is. Reinhard has his fair share of charm, but he appears to be somewhat egoistic, though the origin of his nature is justifiable.

Very good stuff overall, which leaves me with a promising impression about the rest of the show.

Jan 10, 2016 7:53 AM

That was pretty good.It got me interested in the rest of the franchise.
Who cares?

Jan 16, 2016 4:48 PM

And thus I have finally reserved my seat in the gentleman's club. No longer is LoGH a far away meme lifted on the pedestal of MAL, but a journey in which I will have first hand experience with.

Seriously this was a great first impression of LoGH. I'm already drawn into wanting to find out more about the various political intrigues of Reinhard as well as this seeming rivalry between him and Wenli. Admittedly I've been putting this off for years and only meant to use this movie to test the waters. Well now I'm ready to dive on in.

May 8, 2016 8:30 AM

Ok movie, the music was absolutely amazing but the rest was ok, i'm not sold on this yet !
"All men are jealous and stupid, and all women are stupid to be happy about it, idiots are everywhere you look!"

Holo-Spice And Wolf

Jul 24, 2016 8:27 PM

Awesome. Beautiful.

Oct 11, 2016 12:13 PM

Loved the Klassical music.

I think i will side with Admiral Reinhard, but lets see.

Dec 2, 2016 8:02 AM

Reinhard is inteligent, but Yang is a genius, he alwasys go one step ahead, and this film, his how disposed the ship under the Reinhard was "subarashii" ;)

Reinhard has the position that has because is inteligent, and the rest of leaderships are stupids, very stupids, and the same in the aliance, the leaderships are fools :)

Welcome to the world, in all the countries, the leaders are the same kekeke

7/10

Hello, my litte boy!

May 12, 2017 9:19 AM
┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴

Alright.
Boi.
Definitly better than expected and its just the introduction.
Started watching it expecting giving this a 7/10 at best, ended up giving a 9/10.
Not gonna lie, im hyped af now for the OVAs.

Aug 22, 2017 3:20 PM

And so after all the time on my PTW list my journey to become an elitist finally starts.

Loved everything about it, the music and also the lack of it, the animation - I totally forgot how much I love the old style!

Reinhard is my fav at the moment, also his uniform looks too good (^_^)

I liked how both characters where displayed taking great risks. I would have shot Wenlis ship after he moved away from my ship though - yes I am fun at partys.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

Aug 30, 2017 10:11 AM

Excellent introductory piece, setting up the larger story, main characters, a certain ambiance and what I presume will be the overall style of what is to come. All this through a simple little battle inside the greater war. Bonus points for the quasi-perfect german and english, and for the few distinctive voices (Horikawa, Shiozawa).
The way the battle is managed as a 2D/naval battlefield was a bit weird though. I guess that is bound to happen when you don't have reliable sources for space battlefields, right ?

Great characters and ships drawings. Good use of classical music, one being excellent (the bolero scene, I think) but another one sounded quite weird to my ears.

Enjoyment: 4/5
Score: 8/10

Modified by Rei366, Mar 25, 2018 9:30 AM

Sep 26, 2017 2:40 AM
Anime Moderator
Wow, honestly I had no expectations coming in but this a very good intro. Although I was stupid and watched the first 2 episodes of the OVA first, lol. Brings things to perspective a little now that I've watched this movie. Agreed with everyone on the brilliant use of classical music. Since battles were long, the music made it not only exciting and filled with tension, but also not grueling to watch.

It's easy to see that there's no side we should really be on (as of now), and that both sides parallel each other...each with prideful high position commanders, as well as talented, fast-thinking officers who are thought of as inferior. I'm glad that Reinhard and Yang Wenli were able to prove their worth, or at least gain a little bit of respect from their superiors, and even each other. This war that has waged for 150 years, seems a bit pointless from an outsider's perspective, but at this point, maybe they don't know anything but war. I'm interested to finding out more about the two main characters and their motivation(s).

Dec 17, 2017 6:52 AM

Got around to watching this for a second time, needless to say, I enjoyed it just as much as the first time, perhaps even more.

Oct 8, 2018 11:53 AM

At last I started Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu series with this movie, hope it'll be a good run.

Decent movie. I'd give it 7 for now.

Though I don't know anything about the dynamics and logic of the setting of this series for now, there are some vague points in the movie, especially about tactical aspects. How Yang Wen-li able to position his decoy ship to Reinhard's flagship so easily for example. And then, explanation regarding letting his ship go didn't satisfy me. They can destroy it easily after it releases it's "hostage". Maybe Reinhard respects his rival in that moment or he don't like unnecessary bloodshed.

Yes, I wish there were more details about battles, mostly we see only the consequences and outcomes of tactics, not how they are performed. They're personal opinions, I'm sure some can find boring or unnecessary watching all these details in movie, especially when considered movie's main purpose is being an introduction to series and characters.

Rest is perfect I think. I hope I'll see more detailed battles in main OVA series.
Modified by zlayeric, Oct 8, 2018 12:00 PM
"The mirror does not reflect evil, but creates it."

Pages (2) « 1 [2]