Forum Settings
Forums

Anime you dropped at first but eventually continued.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
May 23, 2012 11:50 PM
We have our "Dropped anime you should reconsider" thread, but how often do we actually pick up a dropped anime again and finish it?

Back in summer 2006 Haruhi Suzumiya was all the rage. I was watching it at about the time the first season was right about to end. I watched in scroobly order, starting with the godawful student film episode. I think I watched about five episodes before I got sick of it and dropped it. I remember the baseball episode and the episode ending with Yuki calling Kyon to her place, but never the explanation in the following episode.

Earlier this year after hearing nearly ever detail of the series through it's fans and such, I ended up picking it up again, in perfect normal order.

Something similar happened with the first season of Lyrical Nanoha. I ended up dropping it after episode 7. Very famous event happened in that episode. Wasn't pleased. So then years later everyone's like "The show only gets good AFTER episode 7." So I finally finished it. Not worth it.

I stopped Gurren Lagann before the time skip. It was good but I wasn't really interested in finishing it. It wasn't until Sci Fi channel started airing the dub that I got around to seeing the end of it.

2006 seems to be an interesting year for me in this case. Three shows I had dropped back then and only finished just this year.

Once episode 10 of Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica aired I finally decided to give it a chance. By episode 7 I couldn't stand it any more. I made the mistake of listing it as dropped in a "What anime are you watching thread" and got exploded at. I waited until the last two episodes aired to finish it.

May 23, 2012 11:59 PM

Amaenaide yo!!
Just a horrible, horrible harem. "It's just a boob show", you say. No, it's not even that. It didn't even have enough fanservice. Even as a boob show it fails.

Redline
Besides the good animation, this movie had nothing else going.

Seikon no Qwaser II
After the 6 episode mark, it turns into a boob show. A bad one. Well, at least it had fanservice... lots of it.

Also, Haruhi Suzumiya. Haruhi's a cunt.

May 24, 2012 12:51 AM

Senkou no Night Raid is the only example that comes to mind for me. I couldn't stand how badly it butchered other languages (Chinese, English, Russian etc.), but I decided to give it another go. Overall, it wasn't very good, but it was, at least, somewhat entertaining.

May 24, 2012 12:54 AM

TTGL, Gintama and Darker than Black.

May 24, 2012 1:15 AM
#1 Chihaya Fan

Kill Me Baby! dropped it at episode 5, later forced my self to finish it since it was only a short series.

May 24, 2012 1:18 AM
I'm rather sure that presently only applies to Mitsudomoe. After two disappointing episodes, the third was of such poor quality that I dropped the series. However, after seeing numerous assurances that the series turned around after that, I gave it another shot to find that it had indeed become a rather enjoyable show.

May 24, 2012 1:56 AM

Shakugan no Shana Final

May 24, 2012 2:04 AM

Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood.
I actually dropped it twice. For some God known reason every time I would start it, I would drop it and I have no idea why. I guess maybe it didn't really catch on to me at the time. Finally one day I picked it up for good, watched it all the way through and of course loved it.
Touch me, you filthy casual~

May 24, 2012 2:11 AM

Gintama and Get backers, i dont know what happen maybe i hit my head at that time. After i continue, it becomes 2 of my most favorite series

May 24, 2012 2:35 AM

reborn, i stopped right before the 'ring' arc (where it transitions from gag to more action) but my brother who i had convinced to read/watch it brought it up, and so i carried on.

May 24, 2012 2:38 AM

Sadly Elfen Lied, when I was just a kid ( I dont know with 14 or 15) I thought "TOOMUCH BLOOD AND A SONG IN LATIN"!!!!!!!!!! Nowadays is one of my favourite anime.

May 24, 2012 2:41 AM

Practically after every fucking episode of Shakugan no Shana season 1 & 2 since it was so boring (The third one was awesome by the way)

May 24, 2012 2:49 AM

Clannad AS and Soremachi. I am definitely happy I picked Soremachi back up, it's one of my favorite comedies. Not even sure why I dropped it honestly.

May 24, 2012 3:08 AM

Hellsing. Good decision since it led me to Ultimate.

May 24, 2012 3:15 AM

I thought Ergo Proxy was boring and pretentious the first time I started it. Plus, I really did like that they left interesting future city for the gray featureless desert. I started it over about a year after dropping it and I'm pretty happy to have finished it. I still think it can be very pretentious at times and some of the episodes are completely pointless or at least aren't as clever as they think they are. I think the anime is a little misguided at parts but it's got a good plot at it's heart.

May 24, 2012 3:30 AM

Meduka.
It wasn't as bad as I thought it was.
Sig by HB/$híkäßánè Thanks, Mang.

May 24, 2012 3:38 AM

every single dropped show ive ever....well dropped.

surprisingly i enjoyed almost all of them more except for lovely complex which was by far the most tedious show ive seen, and the higurashi ova form 2011 which is one of the worst shows ive ever watched and if you like it, you should feel bad

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 24, 2012 4:57 AM

I always pick up my dropped anime at some point. It's more like a "bad PTW" for me for times I just feel like killing brain cells.

May 24, 2012 5:09 AM

Dropped Hidamari Sketch with 5 or so episodes left. It was just generic and boooring. Half a year or so ago I randomly decided to finish it (for the sake of completion).

I also once dropped Strawberry Panic at around 12 episodes. One day, only god knows what was wrong with me, I decided to not only pick it back up but to watch from episode one again. Why the fuck did I do that? I ain't got no clue. I guess I expected it to actually not be THAT bad. Well I was wrong, soon I realized why I had dropped it in the first place as it was just as awful the second time watching. Only this time I actually pulled through with it. I died.

May 24, 2012 5:43 AM

dropped air at episode 3 and just recently picked it back up. finished watching it was left in disappointment again, bad choice to give it another go...

May 24, 2012 6:13 AM

only one i can come up with is SnS

death note i started 3 times but i just can't bring myself to finish it :s
Romance Anime List

Romance Anime List

3DS friend code 3325-2089-7587 (pm yours)

May 24, 2012 6:38 AM

My dropped list is an 'alternate' plantowatch list. Shows on there will go to the back of the list (after all plan to watch items), but will (most likely) be finished when i have time and feel like watching it (which is pretty much once every 3-4 years or so lol).

Bartender - dropped in 2007, but picked up (rewatched) in 2010 and it became one of my favs
Devil May Cry - dropped for 3years, but finished it eventually
Excel Saga - took me 4years to finish it, went from dropped, on-hold- watching quite a few times.
Tonagura! - was dropped for over a year, but suddenly had some time in 2009 and decided to finish
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

May 24, 2012 7:04 AM

I usually only drop something when I am sure I will never want to watch it again. The only exception I can think of is Gurren Lagann. I originally watched the first four episodes and nearly died of boredom. However, a while later, a local anime club screened the two movies so I went and watched them. The first movie bored me, but I found the second movie to be fantastic. Therefore, I went back and watched it again. Twas worth it~

May 24, 2012 8:51 AM

Umineko. Kinda regretted it. Kinda didn't. Idk.

May 24, 2012 8:53 AM

I dropped Clannad during the Fuko arc because it just seemed like every single episode it was just star handing out and star handing out and star handing out.

Thank god I picked it back up

May 24, 2012 9:08 AM

I dropped Gosick when I was on episode 2 just because I never really felt like watching it again but when I did start watching it again It was one of the best choices I've ever made.

May 24, 2012 9:55 AM

Most of the shows I dropped were shows that happened to be on TV at the time. Interested enough to start watching, but not interested enough to search out episodes on my own to finish the series after the TV station abruptly cancelled broadcasting it

May 24, 2012 10:14 AM

I remember I dropped Shigurui, then picked it up to be blown away.

May 24, 2012 10:27 AM

I watched one episode of Bakemonogatari, and it seemed so boring that i dropped it.. After a while, i was very bored, so i thought to myself "Well.. Everyone loves it, so i guess I'll give it another try".

BAM

Now its one of my favourite anime ever!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.

May 24, 2012 4:42 PM

I usually try to gave anime I drop second chances. One I dropped that I picked back up and enjoyed was Toradora, I disliked Taiga at first which made me drop it. I restarted it a couple of years later and found that I liked it. Tastes change over time, so for me an anime I hate now I could end up liking in the future. (Though I tried to watch Reborn twice and I still couldn't watch much before dropping it again...)

May 24, 2012 4:54 PM

Battle Girls: Time Paradox was one of the three shows that have defeated me, and so made me drop them. A week ago, I finished my main week of exams, and was incredibly bored. I had one more exam, so decided not to pick up a new series, but I was bored, so, looking at my list and looking at my drops, I decided to pick it up a and finish it, a whole year after I dropped it. Did it, and it wasn't bad enough for me to drop it in hindsight, I might have had exams when I did.

Tsuritama pissed me off in the first two episodes, so I dropped it. Like with Battle Girls, I picked it up last week because I was bored. I'm glad I did, the characters got much less annoying after the first two episodes.

One day I'll complete Rio: Rainbow Gate, and some day I may even be able to conquer Beezlebub. I'm going to have to be bored to do that.

May 24, 2012 6:05 PM

YuruYuri and it turned out way better than I expected

May 24, 2012 6:19 PM

I kinda drop One piece, i watch 1 episode every month because One Piece is too BSing and everything episode talks about almost nothing. So for me One Piece is kinda Drop and Go.......

May 24, 2012 7:08 PM

This is extremely shameful, but Steins;Gate and Durarara!!.

For S;G, a friend urged me to watch it and I tried the first 3 episodes. By then, I had no idea what was going on and lost interest quickly. Said friend insisted I pick it up, I did, and well, it's in my top five favourite anime now - which says a lot.

I watched the first episode of Durarara!! while it aired (recommendation from same friend), and dropped it for some unknown. Two freaking years later, I tried it out again and loved it!

May 24, 2012 7:30 PM

Dropped Legend of Legendary Heroes at episode 2 for some reason and then picked it back up and finished it.

May 24, 2012 7:40 PM

Itazura na Kiss.. I wish I could say it blew me away after I picked it up to just finish it, but it was still painful.

May 24, 2012 9:56 PM

None as of yet. I plan to pick up Horizon later on because i actually liked the main character but was too bored by the first episodes to continue on. I guess i should put it on hold then...
The rest on my short drop list are most likely staying there. I don't drop willy nilly.

May 24, 2012 10:05 PM

Baccano.
So glad I picked it back up.

May 24, 2012 10:27 PM

I think i have only ever dropped Inuyasha & that was because it had so many episodes & i kept missing them & then just gave up...But im happy that i went back to finish it

May 25, 2012 2:39 AM
yea.. gosick at first episode i dropped it.. but after the series ended.. i rewatch it and eventually ended one of my most favorite mystery anime..

May 25, 2012 5:33 AM

The one that sticks in my mind the most was Gintama, because it's now my favourite anime/manga. XD I had it on hold after 3 episodes for ages, eventually moving to my dropped list. Then I started it again and fell in love with it. I really don't know what I was thinking. XD

I also dropped the Bakuman anime and continued it later. I can't think of anything else. But I do go through my dropped list once in a while and pick up anime again. I only dropped some because I got bored, never really got a chance to get into them. But I've learned that it takes time to get into some anime more than others. So most in my dropped list won't be dropped forever.

May 25, 2012 3:15 PM

Well, I had dropped Lucky Star and Haruhi, but picked them both up later and quite enjoyed them. I dropped lucky star because it started off slow, the first three episodes were piss boring, but after that it got a lot better. I dropped Haruhi when it first came out because of the way the episodes were aired. I could not make heads or tails of the anime, but about two months later I found a order list and picked it back up. It too was quite good.

May 25, 2012 3:26 PM

Dropped Ah! My Goddess and then watched it only for the sake of Urd. But I regret watching it, wasted my time for sure. The main character was just *sighs* the most awful character ever.
Sore Wa Himitsu Desu

May 25, 2012 4:03 PM

Shakugan no Shana and Gosick until i realized that i was being stupid and was missing out on two amazing series. They were both moving too slow for me, but after i had some time i decided to give it another shot and loved them after awhile into the series.

May 25, 2012 4:32 PM

The only anime that I dropped then watched was soul eater...twice lol
first i watched the 1st 4 episodes then dropped it i dunno why,then i rewatched it and dropped it at episode 11,then eventually last year i finally watched it completely.And now I'm thinking of rewatching fate stay night and phantom requiem for a phantom which i dropped early because seemed uninteresting

May 25, 2012 4:39 PM
Sanji Fangirl

I dropped Chaos;Head but picked it up again because i was planning to watch Steins;Gate and i thought i had to watch C;H before S;G >w<
I wouldn't miss out on anything had i just let it be in the dropped section..

Jun 28, 2012 3:41 PM
D. Gray-Man not because i disliked it but had something else better to watch

Jun 28, 2012 4:06 PM

Akikan - Seemed boring at first but it wasn't bad.
Freezing - Looked too complicated lol but I'm glad I finished it as I really liked it.
Green green - Hell... forced myself through.
Inukami - Dropped after 2, forced myself through it.
Kaze no stigma - Don't know why I dropped it, I thought it was pretty good at the end.
Seitokai no ichizon - Typical and predictable, forced myself to restart and finish.
Suzuka - Dropped after 2 but continued later. The characters annoyed me so much.
Witchblade - I thought this was quality, dunno why I dropped it.
-----------------------------

Jun 28, 2012 4:09 PM

i dropped angel beats and picked it up again later, im happy i watched it fully.

Jun 28, 2012 4:10 PM

I dropped Haruhi halfway through endless eight but then finished a few months later.
‎"Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles." - Nichijou

Pages (2) [1] 2 »