Forum Settings
Forums

Manga Fan To Become Japan's Prime Minister?

New
Sep 22, 2008 6:02 AM

Mar 2007
Tarou Asou was chosen by the Liberal Democratic Party Monday to become its party president. Due to the ruling party in Japan choosing him, it's mostly likely that he will indeed become the next prime minister. The 68 year old is a former foreign minister and has professed himself a manga fan. During his time as foreign minister he used manga such as Detective Conan and Barefoot Gen to relay his message.

Manga sales have been up since the beginning of his candidacy. A store in Akihabara (Akihabara is known as an otaku shopping haven and where Asou rallied against his former opponent ex-Prime Minister Fukuda), has even called Asou a "cool old dude" in English lettering.

For more information: ANN.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 22, 2008 6:27 AM

Feb 2008
All Hail Rozen Aso!

He got 67% of the votes and will be the 92nd Japanese Prime Minister next Wednesday.
Sep 22, 2008 6:45 AM

Aug 2007
It even was in my newspaper, a week ago or so. Not about being manga fan, but about the Prime Minister being. Nice, 67% is quite something. Funny picture, Shinku Asou xD [D'uh, he's a RM fan after all...]
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Sep 22, 2008 6:47 AM

Dec 2007
All Hail!

Couldn't resist to post it here.
Sep 22, 2008 7:00 AM

Oct 2007
Hmmm...this might just enforce stereotype that all Japaneses are otakus :P

Oh well...maybe he'll pass a law to decrease the price of exported manga XS
*Does not know how government works, despite getting a A on a test about it*
Sep 22, 2008 7:09 AM

May 2008
Icy-nee-san said:

I wouldn't say no to that xD
Sep 22, 2008 7:11 AM

Feb 2008
Oh fabulous.
Sep 22, 2008 7:50 AM

Jul 2007
Serenti said:
Icy-nee-san said:

I'd go 'banzai'!!!
Sep 22, 2008 8:26 AM

May 2008
Rozen Maiden fan or not, Rozen Aso is a racist asshole who I'll never support the politics of.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Sep 22, 2008 9:49 AM

Sep 2008
ukonkivi said:
Rozen Maiden fan or not, Rozen Aso is a racist asshole who I'll never support the politics of.

I agree.

And who cares if he's a manga fan? It's just a hobby for christ sake.
Sep 22, 2008 10:05 AM
Dec 2007
Asou BANZAI
Sep 22, 2008 10:10 AM

Jun 2007
ukonkivi said:

wow srsly? o_O sucks...

Sep 22, 2008 10:31 AM

May 2008
Xenzio said:
And who cares if he's a manga fan? It's just a hobby for christ sake.

You made a really good point there...
Sep 22, 2008 10:50 AM

Nov 2007
from what I read, this person is a total idiot

also lots of people in Japan like manga...
Sep 22, 2008 11:06 AM

Apr 2008
spiesc said:
from what I read, this person is a total idiot

Alot? Who don't?
In Oda we trust.

Sep 22, 2008 11:14 AM

May 2008
spiesc said:

You don't say xD
I don't think it will have any affect on the politc whatsoever if he likes manga or not. Really...
Sep 22, 2008 11:56 AM

May 2008
Boblejim said:
Alot? Who don't?

Believe it or not, there's actually quite a few people in Japan who could care less about manga.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Sep 22, 2008 11:58 AM

Oct 2007
Even if it doesn't affect his politics, it's a funny piece of trivia.
Sep 22, 2008 12:50 PM

Jan 2008
lol, nice.
Hello!
Sep 22, 2008 1:10 PM

May 2007
Lol, Japan... XDDD

Sep 22, 2008 1:35 PM

Nov 2007
hmm, I hope he a good person^^
Sep 22, 2008 2:21 PM

Apr 2007
This is quite interesting. A 6x year old man reading manga .. he probably started in his 30s. I can't even imagine my grandpa reading manga.

Sep 22, 2008 3:11 PM

Sep 2008
ukonkivi said:
Boblejim said:
Alot? Who don't?

Believe it or not, there's actually quite a few people in Japan who could care less about manga.

blasphemy! But than again, while I hate to admit it, manga is not the center of the world. :(

Of couse it doesn't matter he likes manga because theres the question of which manga genre he likes. While he might accept being in love with manga, it doesn't matter because of what he might read. Although it only says he supports stuff like detective conan we dont know which other types he likse. I would have a different idea of him if he reads only action types where the "good" guy always wins over evil, compared to hentai type manga.
Sep 22, 2008 3:57 PM

Aug 2008
Yeah, I've heard Aso is really racist as well. Oh well, it's stupid to vote for someone just because he's an anime/manga fan =/

But then again, why care about Japanese politics, unless you live in Japan?

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Sep 22, 2008 4:04 PM

Sep 2008
Tsunami said:
This is quite interesting. A 6x year old man reading manga .. he probably started in his 30s. I can't even imagine my grandpa reading manga.

Well, your grandpa didn't live in japan, right? And well, the people (older generations) in Europe and America had a different life, the culture's different and stuff, hell, he probably read comics in his youth but yeah, when you grew up in the old days, the world wasn't evolving round manga's and stuff. In Japan, manga is a statement, manga is a life, manga is a part of they're culture. And that's not in the rest of the world. Not that I don't care, but yeah, our generation will probably be reading manga when they're old, I know I will. That's because manga is worldwide now, back in the old days, it wasn't.

guyklc said:
Yeah, I've heard Aso is really racist as well. Oh well, it's stupid to vote for someone just because he's an anime/manga fan =/

Then you heard right, cause he really is. And yeah, that's complete bullshit to vote on someone just because he likes manga.

And once again.. yeah. Why should we (outsiders (:P)) care, as long as he keeps his shit in Japan, it's all good.
Sep 22, 2008 4:50 PM

Feb 2008
He is NOT a racist. He is a frank speaker, so may sounds a bit aggressive. Some countries doesn't like him, so they intensionally spread negative rumor about him. How could a racist serve the Foreign Minister for years?
He reads Weekly Shounen Jump and posts comments to 2channel. He appreciates the young people's way of thinking. He believes Japan can take the advantage of the popularity of manga outside Japan for diplomacy. He put a picture of Captain Tsubasa on the side of a military jeep sent to Iraq. He said manga is mightier than any armor, and it did work.
Sep 22, 2008 4:56 PM
Mar 2008
Saying he likes manga doesn't really make him look serious. Anyway, there have been worse cases than this (specially in USA :P).
Sep 22, 2008 6:19 PM

Apr 2008
This guy is my new best friend.
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Sep 22, 2008 6:57 PM

Apr 2008
We spent about 15 minutes talking about him in my world history class today. It sounds like he could cause a lot of problems...
Sep 22, 2008 7:01 PM

Aug 2007
Kyo_Kagami said:
Serenti said:
Icy-nee-san said:

I'd go 'banzai'!!!
`
:D I'll be glad if they made manga about the same price they do in Japan. :x Buying Fruits Basket in Japanese in America is about $5.50, while buying it in English is $9.99.
Sep 22, 2008 7:06 PM
Oct 2007
dtshyk said:
He put a picture of Captain Tsubasa on the side of a military jeep sent to Iraq. He said manga is mightier than any armor, and it did work.

This man deserves my respect.
Sep 22, 2008 7:22 PM

Feb 2008
If he says that mangas should be also published at the same time in other countries, he got my support. xD
mflatischler.tk - My Manga translations and transcriptions
Anime in Blu-ray
あなたの人種、年齢、宗教は問いません
Sep 22, 2008 9:03 PM

Jul 2008
Wow
If only the rest of the world could comprehend the fine art of manga reading XP
lol

Sep 22, 2008 9:10 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
ukonkivi said:

He made enough controversial statements.....Hopefully he was just ranting (like all politicians)...I actually prefer Fukuda even with all the scandals....but we'll see...
wakka9caSep 22, 2008 9:17 PM
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 22, 2008 9:17 PM

Apr 2008
I don't really care anyway XD

As long as he does a good job in parliament its fine~

Also hopes he doesn't make relations between Japan and CHina more tense, thats all I need.
Sep 22, 2008 9:23 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
infinite_zero said:
I don't really care anyway XD

As long as he does a good job in parliament its fine~

Also hopes he doesn't make relations between Japan and CHina more tense, thats all I need.

that's what I fear, as Aso is MUCH more aggresive (considers China as threat) towards China unlike Fukuda... China may not take his comments very well...unfortunately...

The sensible topic: 靖国神社問題 (Yasukuni shrine problem) .... East Asian countries are very sensible to that....

Hopefully, he will be more reserved when he becomes PM. Political leaders in democratic countries are known to become less radical once they become PM...
wakka9caSep 22, 2008 9:29 PM
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 22, 2008 10:33 PM

Oct 2007
Xenzio said:

guyklc said:

Then you heard right, cause he really is. And yeah, that's complete bullshit to vote on someone just because he likes manga.

And once again.. yeah. Why should we (outsiders (:P)) care, as long as he keeps his shit in Japan, it's all good.

It's incredibly stupid for you to base your vote on whether or not you have the same hobbies. And it's highly unlikely that he'll be able to do anything about the prices of manga internationally; that's all up to the companies that sell the licenses of their books for selling in another country, and said companies that try to milk the manga cash cow as much as they can.

Furthermore, unless you are a Japanese citizen, this really shouldn't be our problem. We can whine and bitch about how he's racist, and what problems he might cause, but we personally won't be able to do anything about it. (Unless he does something completely stupid and drops a bomb on the US or something.)

Sep 22, 2008 11:08 PM

Sep 2008
Anaraine said:
Xenzio said:

guyklc said:

It's incredibly stupid for you to base your vote on whether or not you have the same hobbies. And it's highly unlikely that he'll be able to do anything about the prices of manga internationally; that's all up to the companies that sell the licenses of their books for selling in another country, and said companies that try to milk the manga cash cow as much as they can.

Furthermore, unless you are a Japanese citizen, this really shouldn't be our problem. We can whine and bitch about how he's racist, and what problems he might cause, but we personally won't be able to do anything about it. (Unless he does something completely stupid and drops a bomb on the US or something.)

Yeah, that was my whole point in that post, thanks for saying it more.. .. better.. :P
Sep 23, 2008 12:43 AM

Jul 2007
ukonkivi said:

Fact proven wrong. He's just a man who likes to bad mouth lots of things. To especially take up certain quotes of his to portray him racist is low. Very low.
Sep 23, 2008 1:55 AM

May 2008
forlacik said:
dtshyk said:
He put a picture of Captain Tsubasa on the side of a military jeep sent to Iraq. He said manga is mightier than any armor, and it did work.

This man deserves my respect.

I get the feeling he is an otaku of total doom...
SerentiSep 23, 2008 1:59 AM
Sep 23, 2008 2:33 AM

Apr 2008
I live in NZ but I'm worried as I'm Chinese and I am not sure what the relations with China/Taiwan/other Asian countries will turn out to be like...

Genuine concern for me.
Sep 23, 2008 2:34 AM

Dec 2007
Never heard of the man before. We really couldn't care less about Japanese politics around here.

But it's a complete stupidity to vote just because "yay we share the same hobbies *-*" or "yay, he considers manga a super high form of culture". It's not like Captain Tsubasa or Rozen Maiden will affect the way he governs. =.= He can be as cool as Akihabara says he is, but that does not imply that he's competent or not.

Good thing the man does not seem to like mecha anime with a special obsession, or else we could have problems in a near future xD

Hopefully he's a nice person after all and Japan will be in peace within itself and the rest of the world and keeps evoluting as it has been for the past few decades.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Sep 23, 2008 4:23 AM

Feb 2008
Seems like some people misunderstood the election system. Mr.Aso was elected by the votes by the Congressmen and the local representatives not general citizens. The manga fan is just one aspect of his character. His policy in diplomacy is summarized in the speech
"The Arc of Freedom and Prosperity"(article in English). In short, he's aiming to build a long arc of alliance among the nations sharing the same policy "Liberalism, Market economy, Human right protection" from EU to ASEAN.
Sep 23, 2008 6:39 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
dtshyk said:
Seems like some people misunderstood the election system. Mr.Aso was elected by the votes by the Congressmen and the local representatives not general citizens. The manga fan is just one aspect of his character. His policy in diplomacy is summarized in the speech
"The Arc of Freedom and Prosperity"(article in English). In short, he's aiming to build a long arc of alliance among the nations sharing the same policy "Liberalism, Market economy, Human right protection" from EU to ASEAN.

He would probably exclude China from that. But hopefully he won't.

I'm just too pessimistic about politics....
wakka9caSep 23, 2008 6:46 AM
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
Sep 23, 2008 7:32 AM
Aug 2007
ukonkivi said:

Yep, thats the truth. Asou is a ridiculous nationalist who has said some awfully offensive and insensitive things. He has done some good for the country in his position but I'm not confident that he should be Prime Minister. Not that I'm surprised though, either, given how Japanese politics works and the more nationalist leaning the government has been going lately.

Sep 23, 2008 8:05 AM

Apr 2008
guyklc said:

Maybe because he'll become the head of state (if you don't include the emperor) of the second most powerful (economically speaking) country in the world..?
Sep 23, 2008 6:48 PM
Aug 2007
Wishy said:
Saying he likes manga doesn't really make him look serious. Anyway, there have been worse cases than this (specially in USA :P).

Gee, good thing we don't vote for the Prime Minister of Japan. Hell, the JAPANESE don't vote for Prime Minister xD

Sep 24, 2008 1:24 AM

Sep 2007
guyklc said:

Because it's a) part of the whole worlds political system and b) there are people whose future depends at least a bit on Japanese politics (because they're going to work there or are doing studies centered arround Japan.)
Sep 24, 2008 1:44 AM

Jan 2008
I realize it isn't Asou Tarou, but I still find the "I'm not like you" thing to be fabulous.