Forum Settings
Forums

In what countries it is normal to kiss both cheeks?

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
 
#1
May 21, 2012 9:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 1373
Well I just randomly watched ''Will Smith Slaps Male Reporter for Kissing His Mouth'' and I saw comment '' in europe we do that to both cheeks'' And that is NOT true in every Europe country... So I started to wonder in what countries kissing to cheeks is just normal and really normal in these days? and not get reacted ''wtf are you doing man''
(And I mean more like as greeting and such. Not that teen girls kissing)
+ If there is some kind of cheek kissing where you live I would be interest to know what kind ^^ It is nice to learn culture differences :)
Modified by Chill_, May 21, 2012 10:18 AM
 
#2
May 21, 2012 9:57 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 238
My country (Austria) on girls (of course), only implied and not on every occasion
 
#3
May 21, 2012 9:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 391
In Brazil I know maleXfemale, and femaleXfemale kiss each other in the cheek as a greeting.
 
#4
May 21, 2012 10:00 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 34
I know in France that you do la bise with people you are familiar with, but that's something i learned in my French class. And in my family we do it but only between other females.
 
#5
May 21, 2012 10:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 17483
In most of South America, as far as I'm aware. When I was twelve-ish and visiting my family in Ecuador I accidentally kissed my cousin on the lips, because we both tried to do it at the same time. Haha.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh - Makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
 
#6
May 21, 2012 10:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 148
I'm pretty sure in any country but in jail also butt grabbing is very normal there.


 
#7
May 21, 2012 10:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 7983
The Middle East in general. Except that we don't do it with people we don't know or have never met.
MalexMale and FemalexFemale. MalexFemale or FemalexMale happens only if they are related. For example: Uncle of Grandmother.
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
 
#8
May 21, 2012 10:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 1373
Adonis_Kun said:
I'm pretty sure in any country but in jail also butt grabbing is very normal there.

Not sure have you ever went outside states.. or are you trying to be funny?
 
#9
May 21, 2012 10:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 148
It could be both But i'm being serious actually go to google and search rape in jail it's quite common no kidding.
 
May 21, 2012 10:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 3603
It's pretty much something that happens everywhere with family.

It happens nowhere with people you don't know, I never understood whenever I watch a US TV show or something and they comment on how "they kiss as a greeting in Europe", we actually don't with strangers, just saying.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
 
May 21, 2012 10:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 1373
NicoleB said:
It's pretty much something that happens everywhere with family.

It happens nowhere with people you don't know, I never understood whenever I watch a US TV show or something and they comment on how "they kiss as a greeting in Europe", we actually don't with strangers, just saying.

Not really everywhere. My brother (who lives in other country atm) came here and tried to make cheek kiss (since he had got used to it where he lives atm) to our grandma and well she was kinda ''wtf are you doing man'' Since here it is not used even with in family
 
May 21, 2012 10:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 10886
It's a culture thing specific to some European countries. Pretty sure it's not a norm in China or Japan.
 
May 21, 2012 10:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 613
Not a lot of people do it here in Sweden, that I'm sure of.
But then again, we are known for being embarassingly introverted so it kind of makes sense.
 
May 21, 2012 10:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4230
In France it's one on each cheek, in Italy it's 3 or 4 kisses depending how close you are to the person really.

That's all I know. I'm sure other cultures that do it, but I don't know.
 
May 21, 2012 11:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3108
Well yeah, here in Germany female x female (some [best] friends also kiss each other on the mouth as a greeting).
And then of course, family, applies to both genders. Male x male usually just do a hand shake. But it also depends on your ethnicity.
 
May 21, 2012 11:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1208
Alpha-kudasu said:
In France it's one on each cheek, in Italy it's 3 or 4 kisses depending how close you are to the person really.

That's all I know. I'm sure other cultures that do it, but I don't know.

It's actually the same in France, people who know each other very well will do it multiple times.
 
May 21, 2012 11:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 4351
RoCSC-006C1BST said:
In Brazil I know maleXfemale, and femaleXfemale kiss each other in the cheek as a greeting.

Same in France, even people you don't know in an unformal setting.
The multiple times stuff is actually a regional thing (in my experience), but other time people get tired of it (try practicing it, you'll see), so the old 1-2 is pretty much the standard.
 
May 21, 2012 12:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 118
Here, in Poland that king greeting in families it is often thing (femaleXfemale or femaleXmale). Men just do handshake or "bear-hug". And between close friends (femaleXfemale) too.

But between strangers or men? I don't think so. But it's pretty easy to get hug when you're manga&anime fan.. specificity of our fandom. But I don't like that. I guess that I'm just introverted person.
 
May 21, 2012 12:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 495
Croatia - family or close friends kiss on both cheeks, always twice (once on each cheek), some idiots get gravely offended if you miss the number, LOL. I never initiate it, and if someone else does, I just gently brush my face against theirs, no lip contact from my side, except if it's someone really close, like sister or grandmother. It usually escalates on weddings or other occasions when everyone's drunk so people just randomly kiss anything within their reach.
 
May 21, 2012 12:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 4495
For greetings in Mediterranean countries it's usually 2-3 or more never did more than 3 myself between men usually handshake, kiss if it's a close family member, in France I know it depends on the region but I think the most common is to give just one. Dutch it's just one as far as I know. In Belgium I've seen male friends kissing once on the cheek never seen anywhere else. Dutch it's just one as far as I know. Don't how it is for northerners and Eastern Europe but when in doubt I give only one for females and handshake for males. Professionally if you don't personally know the other party it's a handshake be it male or female.
 
May 21, 2012 12:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 223
waaave said:
Croatia - family or close friends kiss on both cheeks, always twice (once on each cheek), some idiots get gravely offended if you miss the number, LOL. I never initiate it, and if someone else does, I just gently brush my face against theirs, no lip contact from my side, except if it's someone really close, like sister or grandmother. It usually escalates on weddings or other occasions when everyone's drunk so people just randomly kiss anything within their reach.

My parents are from Croatia. Lol, everytime I visit family there I quickly give a hand before they try to kiss my cheeks xD
I see dead people.
 
May 21, 2012 12:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 187
EratiK said:
RoCSC-006C1BST said:
In Brazil I know maleXfemale, and femaleXfemale kiss each other in the cheek as a greeting.

Same in France, even people you don't know in an unformal setting.
The multiple times stuff is actually a regional thing (in my experience), but other time people get tired of it (try practicing it, you'll see), so the old 1-2 is pretty much the standard.


Same in Turkey, too.
"People fall in love with a person, not a gender."
 
May 21, 2012 1:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 899
Both men and women where I live(Québec) will greet women by kissing their cheeks if they're at least fairly familiar with them, though for complete strangers it'll most usually be a handshake.
Men don't kiss other men's cheeks though.
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした
 
May 21, 2012 1:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3168
We do that here, too. I hate it, though.
 
May 21, 2012 1:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 2377
MordercaMuminkow said:
Here, in Poland that king greeting in families it is often thing (femaleXfemale or femaleXmale). Men just do handshake or "bear-hug". And between close friends (femaleXfemale) too.

But between strangers or men? I don't think so. But it's pretty easy to get hug when you're manga&anime fan.. specificity of our fandom. But I don't like that. I guess that I'm just introverted person.


This but also femaleXmale in case of some friends
or I might have some weird friends but it's kind of habit :)
 
May 21, 2012 1:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 10068
In Spain we are used to the following formula:

-Close relatives (male or female): kiss on both cheeks
-FemaleXmale: kiss on both cheeks
FemaleXfemale: kiss on both cheeks
MaleXmale: handshake

So when I was in Prague and met German, Polish, Czech and Finnish people it felt absurd as hell for me to do handshake with girls.
 
May 21, 2012 2:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3484
In my country(kuwait) we do it a lot but only to relatives and close people as a greeting.

Though we call it a kiss it's not as you imagine.



^ the one he did was wrong.

We don't do it lips to cheek ,we do it cheek to cheek.

Now I might as well introduce nose to nose greeting in Saudi Arabia.
 
May 21, 2012 4:38 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 878
gokudo21 said:


that wasn't even a peck, he was like full on macking on will smith's face
 
May 21, 2012 6:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 3603
GuZ said:
Not a lot of people do it here in Sweden, that I'm sure of.
But then again, we are known for being embarassingly introverted so it kind of makes sense.


With family or close friends, than sure it's not really that rare. I usually greet my mom, my sister and my best friend that way, but never with someone I hadn't known for along time.

I think what the OP was asking was whether it's a greeting with people who aren't family/close friends.

Like how this reporter wasn't either of those with Will Smith.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
 
May 21, 2012 9:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 7983
gokudo21 said:
In my country(kuwait) we do it a lot but only to relatives and close people as a greeting.

Though we call it a kiss it's not as you imagine.



^ the one he did was wrong.

We don't do it lips to cheek ,we do it cheek to cheek.

Now I might as well introduce nose to nose greeting in Saudi Arabia.


Haha! I Love that nose to nose greeting! We do it here (Bahrain) for fun.

sleeplesstown said:
gokudo21 said:


that wasn't even a peck, he was like full on macking on will smith's face

Yup. That was a tad much.
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
 
May 22, 2012 1:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 350
We do that often in Romania, mostly between relatives and friends.
 
May 22, 2012 1:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 44
I have yet to look into this but I wonder if this reporter was type to screw with famous people on the red carpet. Everyone has to remember, the media is bat shit crazy when it comes to celebrity's. Paparazzi are so mental, we know this from them thinking they have a right to stop cars with there body.
 
May 22, 2012 2:22 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 5596
gokudo21 said:

Now I might as well introduce nose to nose greeting in Saudi Arabia.
That's the first time I've heard of something like this lol, and I'm from Syria. In my country kissing both cheeks as greeting is normal for relatives and close friends, 1 or a couple of times, it's actually in most of the Middle East and North Africa like this as far as I know.
 
May 22, 2012 2:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1331
here in Holland we kiss 3 times as a greeting
 
May 22, 2012 3:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 521
Here in Argentina when you are greeting a female friend or relative one kiss in both cheeks it's a must, if an unknown girl it's with a friend, you greet her with a kiss too. In the capital (Buenos Aires) malexmale it's common too (men kissing each other it's a little weird for me)
 
May 22, 2012 6:15 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 11022
The kissing of the cheeks, is pretty Mediterranean, So its most common in those areas and any nations with their colonial influence.
 
May 22, 2012 7:21 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 1328
In Balkan they kiss 3x as a greetings
Modified by aiueowave, May 22, 2012 7:26 AM
 
May 23, 2012 1:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 91
JonyJC said:
For greetings in Mediterranean countries it's usually 2-3 or more never did more than 3 myself between men usually handshake, kiss if it's a close family member, in France I know it depends on the region but I think the most common is to give just one. Dutch it's just one as far as I know. In Belgium I've seen male friends kissing once on the cheek never seen anywhere else. Dutch it's just one as far as I know. Don't how it is for northerners and Eastern Europe but when in doubt I give only one for females and handshake for males. Professionally if you don't personally know the other party it's a handshake be it male or female.


Depends where you are in the Netherlands. I only see homo's do it and 'overfriendly' girls. Girls do it often with other girls and all homo's. I only 'kiss' once on each cheek on birthdays, on female's, male's get da hand. As said though, the kiss is more like cheeks brushing.

Khalan3 said:
here in Holland we kiss 3 times as a greeting


Good thing I don't live in Holland.....
kiltroutgore said:
"I am meme, hear me roar."
 
May 23, 2012 2:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 2925
Khalan3 said:
here in Holland we kiss 3 times as a greeting

Ashamanii said:
Good thing I don't live in Holland.....

"Location: The Netherlands"

Because that's totally not the same thing..? Huh?
Modified by desolato, May 24, 2012 2:17 AM


 
May 23, 2012 2:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 7983
desolato said:
Khalan3 said:
here in Holland we kiss 3 times as a greeting

Good thing I don't live in Holland.....

"Location: The Netherlands"

Because that's totally not the same thing..? Huh?

"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
 
May 23, 2012 2:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4016
desolato said:
"Location: The Netherlands"

Because that's totally not the same thing..? Huh?

The Netherlands is more than just Holland, which is merely the main region. Holland as a name for all of the Netherlands is merely a very common synecdoche.
How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read. | Report rules abuse | Your Panel | Clubs | Messages | Forum | Recent
<img src="http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/4672/stuhlbarg.png" />
 
May 23, 2012 3:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 6187
In Serbia, we kiss on both cheeks, three times. It is usually on weddings, or some other celebrations. (doesn't matter is it male or female)
We kiss on one cheek as an everyday greet between friends, though. :) (girls to girls, boys to girls). It's a handshake when it's male to male.
.
 
May 23, 2012 3:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 2004
Alpha-kudasu said:
In France it's one on each cheek, in Italy it's 3 or 4 kisses depending how close you are to the person really.

That's all I know. I'm sure other cultures that do it, but I don't know.

It also depends on what region you're in. It's not one on each cheek for all of France; some regions go twice or more. If you're not from the area, people will know if you get the count wrong lol. And in some areas it's just a part of greeting someone, even people you're unfamiliar with.

And Will Smith probably wouldn't have been offended or freaked out by just a kiss on the cheek. But if you saw the video, that guy was actually moving across his face with kisses and probably wouldve gotten his lips on the third if Will Smith hadn't moved.
Modified by Emmrys, May 23, 2012 3:59 PM
 
May 24, 2012 1:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 782
Zatoichi said:
The Middle East in general. Except that we don't do it with people we don't know or have never met.
MalexMale and FemalexFemale. MalexFemale or FemalexMale happens only if they are related. For example: Uncle of Grandmother.


same
 
May 24, 2012 2:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 2925
Kaiserpingvin said:
desolato said:
"Location: The Netherlands"

Because that's totally not the same thing..? Huh?

The Netherlands is more than just Holland, which is merely the main region. Holland as a name for all of the Netherlands is merely a very common synecdoche.

I'm well aware of that, I just think it's silly how he can dismiss a comment like that. It's established that 3x kisses are common as a greeting in the Netherlands, and it's obvious they live in the same country.
Anyways, it wasn't that big a deal, just tried to poke at it.


 
May 24, 2012 11:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1948
In Sweden we don't kiss each other on the cheeks, it would be considered very awkward, embarrasing and perhaps even rude. We tend to be rather introvert here, heh.

We don't do it with strangers, we don't do it with friends and we don't do it with families. There may be exceptions for the latter two, but that is in the miniority.

If we greet someone, like on a meeting or so, we do a handshake. If you know the person better (like, a friend, family or someone you've known for a time), short hugs is a possibility.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

 
May 25, 2012 8:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 10
In Italy, even with family who you are only meeting for the first time it's about 1 on each cheek, but you always get those crazy people who don't stop until they have over-emphasised ten huge smacks xD
 
May 25, 2012 9:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 1547
Portugal
 
May 25, 2012 8:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1266
In western countries for SHIZZLE!!!
 
May 25, 2012 9:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 5483
Not in Canada. Freaks me out, to be honest :<

Once an Italian guy kissed me on both cheeks, I had no idea what to do. So awkward :<
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top
Pages (2) [1] 2 »